Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Poll Says Too Much Immigration (Read 16300 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Poll Says Too Much Immigration
Reply #45 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:11pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:44pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 2:04pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:38pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:49am:
freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:15am:
It's not the immigration part that's the problem. It's the growth part.

There were 321,686 more people in Australia in 2018 than there was in 2017. If we consider that 66% of that number is migrants, then that makes up 212,312 people. That does factor in the number of migrants that leave Australia (much of whom are those that had arrived in recent years).

I would suggest that the 320,000 more people in Australia consist of the 212,000 immigrants + 311,000 births each year - 210,000 deaths each year. Migrant gains mainly replacing the people who die each year.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that instead of rational limits on immigration to curb population growth, we start drowning babies in buckets?

Australia is already limiting their population with low birth rates. Low birth rates as a result of high immigration because it puts a strain on house prices, job, etc. And we have high immigration rates because Australians are not having enough babies to cover the next generation in the job market.

Are you trying to make a point, or just talk yourself round in circles?

Our population is increasing. We are not going to start drowning babies in buckets, and why should we if, as you point out, birth rates are below replacement levels. But we can easily control our immigration intake.

Part of the reason why we don't have a higher birth rate in Australia is because of the affordability to have more than 2 children. There are those women out there that have careers that don't afford the time to have any children. There are those women that act like having a child is a fashion accessory and will have one child. Then you have those families that will have 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 or more. However, you will not see families of 4 or more children with a rich socioeconomic background. They rely on generous family payments to get on with life.

I was not the person who brought up the facetious point about drowning babies in buckets. You already know that. I can't see the reason why you would try encourage debate about a stupid joke someone else brought to the topic.

The point is that we start limiting immigration numbers to reduce unemployment and raise the birth rates. Immigrants are not the ones who are having the babies. It is largely Australian born people who have their own children in larger numbers. Immigrants probably average 1 to 1.5 children per woman, seeing as many immigrants come to Australia when they are nearly 30 and are more career focussed to the point that they have to limit their own birth rates.

You brought up the facetious point. You are the one who tried to shift the issue to low birth rates, which is completely irrelevant. Again you completely miss the point. Our population is increasing. Reducing immigration is the only viable option to stabilise it. No amount of blurting out irrelevant statistics changes that. You are incapable of making a coherent point.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #46 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 3:58pm

Go back and read the topic and figure out who introduced the idea of drowning babies. It was not me. I responded to them implying that they were being ridiculous.

The reduction in immigration is the only way to stabilise the population in Australia. I think Australia should have a few years of low immigration rates, and see a slight decline in population numbers. This should be enough just to boost the subconscious of people in childbearing years to have that one more child and boost the fertility rate in Australia.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Quote:
Go back and read the topic and figure out who introduced the idea of drowning babies.

You tried to make some facetious point about birth rates.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 7:31pm

You know its odd that what 60% of Australians are against high Immigration yet people claim 85% of people support multiculti...  seems pretty incongruous to me.  Only 40% of people are for high immmigration or don't care.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #49 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 7:42pm

Quote:
The latest fortnightly survey of 1,026 voters finds that 54% of the sample believe Australia’s rate of population growth is too fast – which is up from 45% recorded five years ago.

A higher percentage, 64%, think the level of immigration in Australia over the past decade has been too high – up from 50% recorded in October 2016.
The Guardian Essential Report, 24 April results

But while the trend underscores increasing community concern about immigration and population growth, 55% of the sample agree with the proposition that “multiculturalism and cultural diversity has enriched the social and economic lives of all Australians”.

The statement “multiculturalism has failed and caused social division and dangerous extremism in Australia” was endorsed by 32%, while 13% did not have a view.

The latest survey indicates the current concern is broadly based. A majority of all voting groups, apart from the Greens, believe that population growth is happening too fast, and more than 60% of Coalition and Labor voters think there has been too much immigration over the past decade.

This clearly shows bwian's lie about 85% of all Australians and clearly shows that the Greens have been taken over by LW Progs that are not interested in the environment or a sustainable population.  Solution...DON'T VOTE GREEN.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:20pm

Quote:
On the ABC’s Q&A on Monday night, Carr said:

The first poll I’ve seen that indicates a big shift in public attitudes … came out in recent months. It shows 74% of Australians think there is enough of us already … I find that interesting. It’s the first breakthrough … in the last 12 months, the message has sunk in.

Quote:
The survey found that 74 per cent of voters thought that Australia does not need more people, with big majorities believing that that population growth was putting ‘a lot of pressure’ on hospitals, roads, affordable housing and jobs.

Quote:
Most voters were also worried about the consequences of growing ethnic diversity. Forty-eight per cent supported a partial ban on Muslim immigration to Australia, with only 25 per cent in opposition.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/10/australians-want-lower-immigration-stab...

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:32pm

The oft bwian quoted Scanlon Survey refuted and has been shown to be a biased vested interest document.

Quote:
Despite these demographic pressures and discontents, Australia’s political and economic elites are disdainful of them and have ignored them. They see high immigration as part of their commitment to the globalisation of Australia’s economy and society and thus it is not to be questioned.

Elites elsewhere in the developed world hold similar values, but have had to retreat because of public opposition. Across Europe 15 to 20 per cent of voters currently support anti-immigration political parties.

Our review of elite opinion in Australia shows that here they think they can ignore public concerns. This is because their main source of information about public opinion on the issue, the Scanlon Foundation, has consistently reported that most Australians support their immigration and cultural diversity policies.

How could Australia be so different from other Western countries? It has long been argued, including by the Scanlon Foundation, that Australians were insulated from the economic shocks of the Global Financial Crisis in 2008-2009. This means that we have a lower share of angry ‘left behinds’ than in Europe and the US, that is, people suffering from economic stress who can be mobilised around an anti-immigration banner.

This is why Labor’s shadow Deputy Treasurer, Andrew Leigh, can assert that Australian attitudes to migrants are warm and ‘becoming warmer over time’ and that ‘there is sold support for the principle of non-discrimination’ (pages 1-2). It is also why, according to prominent writer David Marr, ‘more than almost any people on earth, we are happy for migrants to come in big numbers’ (pages 2-3).

The TAPRI survey refutes these findings. It shows that
74 per cent of voters believe that Australia does not need more people
and that, at the time of the survey, 54 per cent wanted a reduction in the migrant intake. This includes 57 per cent of Liberal voters and 46 per cent of Labor voters (Figure 1).
This result is far higher than the 34 per cent of respondents wanting a lower migrant intake reported in the last Scanlon survey (in July-August 2016).

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:39am

There were 321,686 more people in Australia in 2018 than there was in 2017. If we consider that 66% of that number is migrants, then that makes up 212,312 people. That does factor in the number of migrants that leave Australia (much of whom are those that had arrived in recent years).

I would suggest that the 320,000 more people in Australia consist of the 212,000 immigrants + 311,000 births each year - 210,000 deaths each year. Migrant gains mainly replacing the people who die each year.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that instead of rational limits on immigration to curb population growth, we start drowning babies in buckets?

Australia is already limiting their population with low birth rates. Low birth rates as a result of high immigration because it puts a strain on house prices, job, etc. And we have high immigration rates because Australians are not having enough babies to cover the next generation in the job market.

Our population is increasing. We are not going to start drowning babies in buckets, and why should we if, as you point out, birth rates are below replacement levels. But we can easily control our immigration intake.
And what would you do about the aging population?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:40am

rhino wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:39am:

And what would you do about the aging population? 

Get a bigger bucket?

Why the need to "do" something?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #54 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:00am

freediver wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 6:04pm:
Quote:
Go back and read the topic and figure out who introduced the idea of drowning babies.

1.85 children per woman. Nothing facetious about that.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:05am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:00am:
freediver wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 6:04pm:
Quote:

1.85 children per woman. Nothing facetious about that.

Why is it relevant?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #56 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:56am

I am responding to your lying posts, freediver, you dipschitt.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #57 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:01am

What did I lie about?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:15am

freediver wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:01am:
What did I lie about?

Wild guess ~ that he tried to make a facetious point?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #59 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:30am

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:15am:
freediver wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:01am:
What did I lie about?

Wild guess ~ that he tried to make a facetious point?

Bingo!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print