Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
How Do You Sleep At Night? (Read 4381 times)
Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

How Do You Sleep At Night?
Jun 28th, 2018 at 4:36pm

John 'Cougar' Mellencamp once wrote a song about a Greyhound bus trip he took before he was famous entitled Minutes to Memories and the passenger he sat next to featured in the song, most notably in my memories in the line,

"He said an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind."

Now, here this week, I have read some most ruthless posts, arguing for some ruthless punishments for alleged wrongdoers in the media stories, and today it seems that I have become a target across the board for the first time, thanks to my old pal Aussie amongst others.  No big deal.

What worries me is something somewhat related to Immanuel Kant's categorical imperative as well as the Christian ethic about doing unto others as you would want them to do to you.  But wait, there's more.

In my life, I have come to understand that the way that I treat others, whether in my words or my actions, may have some effect on those others, but on the broader context of society, they also reflect back on myself, in other peoples opinions of me, and also in my own conscience.  The subconscious memory is elephantine.  It never misses a thing and it never forgets.

If I behave without decent personal integrity towards others, then I am the one whose conscience is most affected, and I am the one who will lay in bed at night unable to sleep, even if my own 'disingenuous' actions are not on my mind.  My self-worth is what I need to believe in if I want to sleep well at night.

Honest thoughts welcome.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: How Do You Sleep At Night?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:48pm

lets get the saying correct Imrah...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

not want them to do.......

wanting and having are not the same thing...

you will get all sides here at ozpol    and thats not a bad thing...some are very passionate about what they see as right and wrong......bobby for instance always wants to hang someone  he thinks that will fix every problem..... if only!

I am sorry to hear you have become a target.....I know the feeling.. but if its aussie who has targeted you  do not worry  he gets around to each of us all in good time........ look at the list at the top of his forum and see who he has banned......I think he holds the record.... Wink

you seem fine to me Imrah.... some folks cant bear anyone else to have an OPINION>>.they seriously think they have the best ones... opinions that is... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

the best way to deal with them  is IGNORE..at all costs....thats if you dont wish to be followed around the traps...with this nipping at your heels .. its called baiting btw.....

its not easy   I agree.... I have often felt like slamming someone .. but I am a lady Smiley Smiley  and thats helps me sleep at nights blissfully.....

people who do not like me   or I dont like them   I stay away from Imrah....its the only way not to lose your marbles.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:54pm

cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:48pm:
its the only way not to lose your marbles.

I get affected by things that people write, but I worry for their conscience when they are offensive for undue reasons, so that gives me solace.  That they hurt themselves more than they hurt me, in the long run.
That is what I worry about after I get over them and learn who to read here, and who to ignore.

Thanks for your reply to set this thread off, Cods.  I never guessed you were a lady, and I think the more of you because.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:05pm

oh I am always a lady Imrah   thats why I dont post ,in relationships.... Grin Grin Grin..

you will make note that some people have no empathy at all... and that means  you can throw anything at them and it will ping off they take it as a compliment... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

most sane people say they are "thick"   but they dont see themselves that way... Cheesy Cheesy..

you will avoid eventually its called surviving...

and it is serious advice imrah... avoid at all costs.

before your anger levels get out of control

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:11pm

cods wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:05pm:
some people have no empathy at all...

That was me when I was young.  Now I understand the song better.  I don't want my fellow Australians to end up with irrascible guilty consciences like I have to live with for my bad conduct in the past, even though we disagree on almost everything. 

I hope that others here can learn to fight fairly, and not have to learn the reasons why the hard way like I did,

Thank you again, Cods.  I am very pleased that at least someone understands and has the guts to say so.

BTW:  I was paraphrasing about the Golden Rule.  Sorry.  Not exactly blasphemy if one means well in the context...

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:26pm

It's taken me half my life to learn not to spit in the wind. I've vented my anger thinking I am precipitating change, when in fact, all I've done is soiled myself.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:26pm:
It's taken me half my life to learn not to spit in the wind. I've vented my anger thinking I am precipitating change, when in fact, all I've done is soiled myself.

I assume that is a message to the OP rather than the topic.

It is understood and tomorrow is a new day.  I appreciate your guidance, my friend.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:35pm

Then again, maybe I was wrong to take your honest reply so personally. I am sorry Mr Hammer. This has been a trying Thursday with the attacks I have had to cater for, as pitiful as they have been, and I seem to have misread your words.  Sorry mate.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:06am

Imrah wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:30pm:

It is understood and tomorrow is a new day.  I appreciate your guidance, my friend.

I'm not in a position to advise anyone, Imrah. Reflecting on the damage that anger has done to my life  is all.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:17am

Mr Hammer wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:06am:
Imrah wrote on Jun 28th, 2018 at 10:30pm:

I'm not in a position to advise anyone, Imrah. Reflecting on the damage that anger has done to my life  is all.

I understand Mr Hammer.  I jumoed the gun because of all the crap I have had to put up with today, and I should have respected your post and read carefully before firing off that first time.

I am so sorry to you.  You meant well. You are my friend and I jumped on you like you were my adversary at first.  I am so sorry. 

Please forgive me, and thank you for your honest post.  I was a dickhead that once, and it had taught me to be more careful here tomorrow, if that maybe any consolation.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 12:31am

No need to apologise, my friend. I enjoy reading your posts.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 1:06am

Thanks Mr Hammer.  At last I understand what you meant.

Now I am contemplating what I am doing here alone for the second time in a week.  Rhino has arrived now.  I don't know if that let's me off the hook because I have developed an obsession with this forum.

Why is that?

Why can I not sleep tonight?

It's five to eleven in Western Australia and the last beer is almost drunk, which is not quite as drunk as the drinker is by now after so many of them, so I will sleep tonight with the help of the best woman of all, the beer that is, but I need to be able to rest assured that I have left no stone unkicked for the betterment of my species.

My species that created Cleopatra and that hot gymnastic babe who hitched up with Michael Douglas IYKWIM.  We have done a bloody good job of evolution as a species, and you might look at the skyscrapers in Dubai in awe, but I look at Catherine Zeta-Jones and her ilk, and think to myself, "Golly Jingies!"  that beautiful woman is the product of evolution coupled with man's good intelligent choices in life.

That is why I will always put beautiful women above the tallest building that Nimrod could ever build to the heavens.  With modern engineering, we can build a ladder to the stars as high as the ozone layer if we get the funding, but there is no money could ever build another Catherine Zeta-Jones, (or whoever you consider the most glorious of God's creations), because she is not just God's creation.

She is the creation of 65 million years of the biggest, toughest men getting to choose the prettiest girls, and then they have another.  That is evolution and that is what I believe that God wants to happen.

Now my beer is empty and my bed is cold, but my conscience is happy because I have had my rant. 

Goodnight my friends.  See you next time.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:20am

This is politics, and as such, you need the hide of a rhinoceros. It is an area of human relations that has never been conducive of Mr Nice-Nice's attitude. Like their comments or not, the anonymity of the internet forum actually allows people to be more honest than they would be in any other public arena.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:17am

Hi Imrah (whoever you previously were?).

I've always been 'honest'.
If I find myself with someone with an illegal substance or doing something 'wrong'. I say "I won't dob on you, but if the police ask me, I will be honest." and with that, it's usually accepted and allows that person to make their own choice of wether they want to associate with me knowing they are doing something wrong.

Sometimes honesty has made me lose jobs, relationships, etc. But at least I can look myself in the mirror - regardless if it is a 'win' or a 'loss'. I'm not afraid to lose as I really do have 'nothing' to lose, from being honest. People like me because I am honest. It's like 'trust'.

Although I am honest, I don't put it out there in people's faces. I keep it close to my chest.

People don't like Trump because he is 'honest'. Possibly the first 'honest' Politician in history and the corrupt/lying 'traditional' world of Politics (& Media) just can't cope with that. He scares them.

As for being thick skinned and onion skinned.
In European Soccer some black players had bananas thrown at them by opposition fans. Two got offended and the other picked up the banana and ate it on field. He received a cheer of respect by the opposition fans!

Adam Goodes gets called 'King Kong' by a 16 year old girl and he cries 'Racism' and uses it to float his boat for 'Racism Ambassador' and any other 'financial/career' gain he could. His football began to suffer though.

...as for Cleopatra. Well, besides there having been many Cleopatra's. The one in question that has been incorrectly glorified by Hollywood and its usual corruption of other nations histories. Is that she was actually 'ugly'. History proves it with coinage and pictures. She had a whopper of a nose, etc.

Every race has beautiful women, if they allow them to be beautiful. Every race has that ugly woman too.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 10:25am

issuevoter wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 7:20am:
This is politics, and as such, you need the hide of a rhinoceros. It is an area of human relations that has never been conducive of Mr Nice-Nice's attitude. Like their comments or not, the anonymity of the internet forum actually allows people to be more honest than they would be in any other public arena.

The frustration comes in when dealing with the paid shills and the Walter Mitties. Posters like Brian Ross and Aussie can't or refuse to play with a straight bat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print