Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
There can be NO excuse for this (Read 2922 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

There can be NO excuse for this
Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:27am

[urlhttps://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aged-care-nurse-slapped-elderly-dementia-patient/news-story/ad2477b6cacc91c780d14b6e2e43e8e0][/url]

AN AGED care nurse who was caught on video assaulting an elderly dementia patient has failed to have the charge dismissed under mental health.

Disturbing footage of the moment Dana Maree Gray repeatedly slapped the 85-year-old woman and twice swung a bag of rubbish into her face was played at Burwood Local Court this afternoon.

The GoPro video showed the elderly woman walking with a frame to her bed, before Gray walks in and slaps her repeatedly. She violently undresses the woman and puts clothes on her, before getting a bag of rubbish from the bathroom and swinging it into her face. The woman can be heard screaming in the footage.

Gray can also be seen moving the bed up to its highest elevation so it is at the elderly woman’s chest.

“She is left alone with the bed still in its high position, thus not allowing her to sit or lay for a number of hours,” court documents said.

Gray, 59, has pleaded guilty to assaulting the resident at The Poplars nursing home in North Epping in 2017.

Her lawyer had applied for the matter to be dealt with under with under section 32 of the Mental Health Act which allows a magistrate to dismiss the charges conditionally or unconditionally.

The court heard that Gray had been diagnosed with a depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.

Her husband had died suddenly, she had been subject to assaults by patients and there was an indication she had been sexually abused as a child.

However Magistrate Robyn Denes refused to have the matter heard under the Mental Health Act which would “medicalise the most atrocious conduct”.

“This was ongoing gratuitous violence, that final act of hitting her over the head with the rubbish and then leaving the bed high … leaves her with no dignity,” she said.

“The facts are incredibly serious. Anyone who watched that video could not help but be moved.

“This is a person, the complainant, who is a real person, who is extremely vulnerable in a place where she is supposed to be being cared for.”

Prosecutor Sergeant Ben Lee said the footage showed a “nightmare type scenario” and also argued against the Section 32 application.

“What the court has before it today is a completely innocent, helpless, totally vulnerable human being who is being abused by the staff member who is assigned to care for her,” he said.

“This is something which if the court or anybody were to walk into any public forum and tell this story they would be outraged.”

Gray, who wiped her face with tissues during the court appearance, had been working as an assistant in aged care nursing within the dementia unit since 2013.

A co-worker placed a Go-Pro camera in the woman’s bedroom when he became concerned for the welfare of patients and wanted evidence something was happening before making a formal report.

In a letter tendered to court Gray said she would like to apologise to the woman’s family.

“I have worked in the care industry for about 17 years in after school care, disability support and aged care (mostly dementia),” the letter said.

“I have loved all of these jobs although dementia can get very stressful. I was overdue for holidays and had issues with my health and in my personal life, also not having support when reporting residents’ issues.

“Everything compounding may have contributed to my actions on that day, but by no means any excuse.”

Magistrate Denes ordered an assessment be done for an Intensive Corrections Order — a custodial sentence to be served in the community.

The matter will return for sentence on August 15.

thank god for that co worker...

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: There can be NO excuse for this
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:50am

people (all people) have a shadow within them

people look at the nazi camp gaurds and ask what sort of people could take a young child to the gas chamber.

and the answer is simple

someone JUST LIKE YOU.

modern society likes to think that there is a utopia of dolphins and rainbows and unicorns that can be constructed.

but thats just "wish fulfilment".  its part of the new age where people dont want to confront the reality of existence.

the reality is that life is HARSH and life is UNFAIR and if you cant accept that you become bitter and resentful about life itself.

and each individual has to do this on an individual basis
this is the basis of taking "personal responsibility".

people dont like taking responsibility much these days
they would rather virtue signal, go tsk tsk and never do the brutal work of confronting their own demons.

but that stuff will come out if you dont deal with it.

life isnt some leftard wet dream.

life is a brutal battle to control your weak and pathetic self and to push on up that hill without complaint and resentment.

and if you are a pussy and wont confront that you end up like this woman.
kicking the dog or taking it out on some helpless individual or taking it out on yourself with self contempt and a feeling of resentment

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:45am

Well obviously this person should not have been allowed to do this job, it takes someone of almost infinite patience, compassion and empathy.

My Mum had dementia for 13 years and I had to look after both my parents for the last 6, Dad is blind and deaf.  Mum recently passed away.  Believe me dementia can be very, very, trying... Anyone seen The Notebook?  If you have 2 difficult people to look after it can be a nightmare.  Imagine working in a dementia unit.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 9:59am

Another cretin claiming mental health condition  Angry Angry

One after bloody another.

Those cows that assaulted the Paramedic in Melbourne did the same.

Enough of this bs .... time to tell solicitors that they've worn that card out ......

and it's abuse does nothing to help genuine cases of mental illness related crime.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:01am

Who's prepared to bet the co-worker will cop a bullet ?????  A steady list of petty complaints about not doing the job properly leading to dismissal...

Yes, aqua - but we are working hard to get away from the concentration camp guard type - even though the example set by elected government and 'management' these days makes it very hard to do so when such behaviour is rewarded.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:32am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:01am:
Who's prepared to bet the co-worker will cop a bullet ?????  A steady list of petty complaints about not doing the job properly leading to dismissal...

Yes, aqua - but we are working hard to get away from the concentration camp guard type - even though the example set by elected government and 'management' these days makes it very hard to do so when such behaviour is rewarded.

there is no concentration gaurd type.
its everyone unless they have done a lot of work on themselves.

if youve ever kicked the dog or beeped your horn and sworn at a bad driver or got angry on the internet, then you are being triggered
and if you are in this sort of demanding work environment, then you could certainly behave like this person

going "tsk tsk" does not make it any less so

and governments encourage people to be in a durr state
they do nothing to make people stand on their own two feet and stand up straight and own their appaling behaviours

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:15am

Like Grendel, I looked after family in the extremity of their need, and it is a hard and thankless task.

It is not beautiful and compassionate and caring, as people try and romanticise it, just gross and horrific.
Seeing someone you loved and respected so much, rely on you to wash and dress them, to toilet them, to keep them in nappies, is not noble, and the person you loved is not even there.
They are gone, but a damaged husk remains, and society and the law demands we keep that husk alive.

We need to change.

PS To Cods. In your OP you missed on clicking your link between the two square brackets in the middle, so your link does not work. If you go to modify you can go back and insert , ] , that behind URL, at the start, then delete, ] , after the 0 at the end of the web address.
If you do that it will work as a live link.  Wink Have a good day.
Don't worry, I did it here below.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aged-care-nurse-slapped-elderly-demen...

Well that was a dud, you have to subscribe to see it. Do not bother clicking if you do not have a sub to the telly.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:21am by mozzaok »  

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 1:49pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:15am:
Like Grendel, I looked after family in the extremity of their need, and it is a hard and thankless task.

It is not beautiful and compassionate and caring, as people try and romanticise it, just gross and horrific.
Seeing someone you loved and respected so much, rely on you to wash and dress them, to toilet them, to keep them in nappies, is not noble, and the person you loved is not even there.
They are gone, but a damaged husk remains, and society and the law demands we keep that husk alive.

We need to change.

PS To Cods. In your OP you missed on clicking your link between the two square brackets in the middle, so your link does not work. If you go to modify you can go back and insert , ] , that behind URL, at the start, then delete, ] , after the 0 at the end of the web address.
If you do that it will work as a live link.  Wink Have a good day.
Don't worry, I did it here below.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/aged-care-nurse-slapped-elderly-demen...

Well that was a dud, you have to subscribe to see it. Do not bother clicking if you do not have a sub to the telly.

Indeed.  We need to tell Church and State to mind their bizz when it comes to voluntary euthanasia and straight-out euthanasia

Spineless politicians ever wary of losing some votes to the holy-rollers.  At the same time, polls claim 82% agree with voluntary euthanasia.  So the pollies try for a bet both way by voting voluntary euthanasia -- with conditions. Such as must have less than one year to live, etc.

Voluntary euthansia booths on every street -- I'll vote for that.  Streamline the process.  Press the button.  Fill out the simple document.  Push document into slot.  Two minutes later, stick hand into a slot to receive the death injection.  Fall onto conveyor belt and be transported to collection units which in turn transfer the corpse to the boutique crems

No 'permission' needed.  Adults making their own choice to depart the lives they hadn't asked for to begin with

End of lucrative care-homes.  End of lucrative funeral homes

Clear up some space and some jobs if any remain

Zero guilt for the family

Relief for clean-up crews, ambulances, police, coroners, etc. as there will no longer be botched suicide attempts or bits of bodies jammed beneath trains, etc.

Why make something so simple so complicated and stressful?

Thousands of people right now are wondering how to exit their lives cheaply and with minimum stress and problems for those they leave behind

Or, the alternative, Death Date to be printed on every birth-certificate.  End-date to be decided by the public.  They might decide age 75 is long enough, whether well or sick.  Gives people ample time to settle their affairs well in advance.  Children/grandchildren of the individual will know in advance roughly how much they can expect to reap from the individual's demise.  So everyone can plan ahead.  And people will be motivated by their non-negotiable death-date to make the most of their allowed time on the planet

We need to change, you're right.  We need to organise the entire system of life and death

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:16pm

aquascoot wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:50am:

people look at the nazi camp gaurds and ask what sort of people could take a young child to the gas chamber.

and the answer is simple

someone JUST LIKE YOU.

modern society likes to think that there is a utopia of dolphins and rainbows and unicorns that can be constructed.

but thats just "wish fulfilment".  its part of the new age where people dont want to confront the reality of existence.

the reality is that life is HARSH and life is UNFAIR and if you cant accept that you become bitter and resentful about life itself.

they would rather virtue signal, go tsk tsk and never do the brutal work of confronting their own demons.

life is a brutal battle to control your weak and pathetic self and to push on up that hill without complaint and resentment.

kicking the dog or taking it out on some helpless individual or taking it out on yourself with self contempt and a feeling of resentment

No. Not just like me. I wouldn't do it. Prolly get killed for it but i would refuse.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:20pm

I am currently looking after my mother. No way euthanasia for her she is losing her marbles but she has enough of them left to say she wants the antibiotics. Sometimes she doesnt know who i am but she still wants to live. She isnt in any pain but she is costing a fortune. She gets in moods where she is mean and nasty to everyone and i just have to wear it (everyone else just leaves). She has a right to not be abused though. She has a right to live if she wants to.

Sometimes ppl say to me "i heard you yelling at your mother the other day" well thats because she wont put her hearing aids in haha. I dont understand how anyone can hit someone who is like a child.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Sometimes she doesnt know who i am but she still wants to live

Perfect candidate for euthanasia

She's a resouces sink

Your life is hobbled by her selfish wish to live

The State (taxpayers) are forced to fund her uselessness

That serial killer the US executed the other day -- he wanted to live too.  So did his young victims, no doubt

I saved some of those almost defunct plastic bags from the supermarket.  Tied one tightly around my head to illustrate to my spouse how we might end our lives in the future and not be a burden to our children (or anyone else)

When the time comes, if I'm able, I will lay down in front of a news office or parliament and do the deed with notes sent to anyone who can publicise it that until useless government grows some nads, the bag over head exit should go viral

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:36pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

She's a resouces sink

That serial killer the US executed the other day -- he wanted to live too.  So did his young victims, no doubt

I saved some of those almost defunct plastic bags from the supermarket.  Tied one tightly around my head to illustrate to my spouse how we might end our lives in the future and not be a burden to our children (or anyone else)

When the time comes, if I'm able, I will lay down in front of a news office or parliament and do the deed with notes sent to anyone who can publicise it that until useless government grows some nads, the bag over head exit should go viral

Hmmm. Are you comparing my mother to a serial killer? How are you going to feel when you are 90 if your relativevs decide thats enough living for you?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:37pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:36pm:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 29th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

She's a resouces sink

Hmmm. Are you comparing my mother to a serial killer? How are you going to feel when you are 90 if your relativevs decide thats enough living for you?

Spot

That post was pretty off.

I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 3:12pm

aquascoot wrote on Jun 26th, 2018 at 8:50am:

and the answer is simple

someone JUST LIKE YOU.

No. No no no no. You are wrong aquascoot. There was a resistance in that war. There were people who put their lives on the line to make that underground railroad. They survived and helped others to survive. I bet some were even from the military that didn't want to "follow orders" and instead became "criminals. Not everyone is how you say and not everyone has to "do work on themselves" in order to do the right thing. A lot of people here might fit into your description (you i guess) but a lot do not.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 5:52pm

over worked aged care workers get worn down by the difficulty of caring for the demented- some demented are quite nasty  and I have fed them and have known them to hiss at and abuse pp-and they dont care who it is- even some oldies who are not demented do that

I have seen a carer force feeding a lady who was profoundly demented it disturbed me so I  reported it- not at the time but weeks later- i didnt like doing it because she had a few young chidren and was over worked- ( I didnt actually name her but I did speak up at the time TO her )  -  I do  know how dangerous it is to force feed a dementia patient that way- ( dyspashia -)
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2018 at 8:47pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print