Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Plan to scrap car rego.... (Read 4416 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Plan to scrap car rego....
Reply #45 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 2:31pm

mantra wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 8:04am:
An extra petrol tax is a good idea. I only fill up once a month because I have a small car - so I would be better off. If I have to go outside my area - I use public transport so I don't have to deal with road rage.

Obviously a lot of people have to use their cars more frequently and for longer distances, but then they are causing more wear and tear on our roads.

Registration used to be the sole contributor towards road maintenance, but that's no longer the case.

The Greenslip is a rort also. How much of it actually goes to victims of car accidents?

Bully for you .... what may suit you doesn't suit millions of others or me.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 2:32pm

Would you rather they raised the funds through a far more inconvenient system?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #47 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 2:32pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 1:00pm:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/radical-plan-scrap-rego-pay-drive-scheme-fund-roads-22...

"Motorists could be slugged for every kilometre they drive on major roads, with the top planning body renewing its push for a user-paid system.

Infrastructure Australia is pushing to scrap fuel excise and registration fees in favour of charging drivers for how far and when they use the roads in a bid for future investing in road infrastructure.

The government agency says the current system for funding roads is unsustainable because drivers are transitioning to electric cars, which will not pay fuel excise, but the cost of our roads will stay the same or increase.

The proposal was part of its Australian Infrastructure Plan published in February 2016 which the group said the Australian government initially showed support in, but no inquiry followed.

Infrastructure Australia last Monday released its Prioritising Reform report, which assessed how the 2016 recommended reforms progressed in the past two years.

“The system is unfair because the link between usage and charging is weak,” the Australian Infrastructure Plan said.

“Australian taxpayers incur a significant ongoing cost burden to maintain and develop our road system, regardless of whether they own or drive a car.

“The system is also unsustainable because fuel excise revenue will continue to decline in real terms as fuel efficiency continues to rise and the uptake of alternatively fuelled vehicles gathers pace.”

The report said an Australian road market was needed that reflects the true costs of providing, maintaining and using the network, with fees to reflect these costs.

Infrastructure Australia chief executive Philip Davies said “more action is needed” and pushed the government to move forward on this “important opportunity for reform”.

The next Australian Infrastructure Plan will be released in 2021."

Does that mean pensioners will be exempt since they currently enjoy free rego and only pay CTP and inspection costs?  That would mean that the trip to Queenslund (where they do things diff'rently) to visit the grand-kids would cost more... or would it work out evenly without fuel excise, or even better for me?

Is this going to be like the GST when it came in - a Digger mate on TPI said it was replacing some income tax - I said, just remember that you don't currently pay income tax.  (hmmmm...)  Pensioners who didn't pay income tax then were paying its replacement - but King John the Last Guy You'd Want did give a sweetener ....... (while he and Pedro Castella stole the Futures Fund away from under our noses)...

How do they propose to monitor road usage?**

How will that affect the trucks (damn their eyes on that freakin' highway)?

I note the emphasis on electric cars not paying excise... but they surely pay in other ways such as GST etc...

Any thoughts??

**"OK, sir - I'm from the Foundation for Underlying Kilometre Use (FUKU) - let's see your odometer.. NOW!  Refusal is an offence carrying twenty year's imprisonment..... "

Another example of the oligarchy pushing governments.

While China is advancing Australians will soon be on bicycles.

Time for a revolution.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print