Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restricting opioids could help black market sales (Read 1786 times)
Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Restricting opioids could help black market sales
Jun 24th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Restricting access to opioids could drive pain sufferers to buy harder drugs on the black market, experts warn

ABC Story

Quote:
Australia has been warned that moves to restrict access to addictive opioid painkillers could drive pain sufferers to illegal markets or even stronger substances, if people are not able to access affordable, effective options to manage their pain.

Another informercial for:
Quote:
Painaustralia advocates on behalf of people living with pain, and wants to see that those people are able to get access to the best quality of care at an affordable price.

"If that doesn't happen, we may see unintended consequences like people using higher-level opioids, or other medications, or trying to self-manage, but poorly," Painaustralia's CEO Carol Bennett said.

It is more profitable for the medical industry to create havoc in people's lives, because then they can get the funding for more health care professionals to 'treat' them all before they die.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Restricting opioids could help black market sales
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:46pm

I am not sure   whats ethical here.....after all a doctor can only take his patients word for it....if the patient is lying to get the medication  isnt that the patients /addicts fault????????...

and what is a doctor meant to do.??? can he just turn round and say no I am not giving your this anymore....go away!..

some people have less tolerance to pain than others..

whos to judge???.....

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:54pm

cods wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:46pm:
I am not sure   whats ethical here.....after all a doctor can only take his patients word for it....if the patient is lying to get the medication  isnt that the patients /addicts fault????????...

and what is a doctor meant to do.??? can he just turn round and say no I am not giving your this anymore....go away!..

some people have less tolerance to pain than others..

whos to judge???.....

Good afternoon Cods, and thank you for replying to what I had considered a dead thread after all this time.

The main point, if you can see through the 'opaque' nature of the ABC infomercial for Painaustralia (sans capital 'A'), is that low dosage codeine/paracetamol tablets were available over the counter at pharmacies for responsible adults with occasional toothaches, up until February this year.  This is all new to Australia.

Now that the idiots at the AMA have banned codeine because of some kind of AMA-ANZUS treaty, decent responsible citizens who failed to plan ahead are now forced to get their much-needed pain relief from more expensive sources than medicare can afford.

In the end, there will be more 'sick' people in Australia, for no other reason than to put more bums in hospital beds to pay for more health care professionals with tax payers' money.

Do you see how, in my opinion, banning codeine over the counter in low dosages was a foolish mistake for decent Australians.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:25am

Imrah wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
Do you see how, in my opinion, banning codeine over the counter in low dosages was a foolish mistake for decent Australian

it can be addictive   when bought over the counter there is no way of knowing how many some are taking.......taken  with alcohol I believe it can be down right dangerous....

I cant take it because of meds I am on.....but not everyone knows that   codeine  in larger doses is the problem......a lot of the decent folks you mention   do not realise it is at the end of the day a drug...

the govt does have a duty of care imrah... I would rather they play safe than sorry...

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:53am

I dont know about the rest of australia but in QLD they restricted the amount of painkillers anyone can take. I know a woman who had a broken neck and she was on panadeine forte for the pain (prescription). When this policy came in they halved her pain relief! She is having a very hard time with it. This was about 10 years ago now so its prolly worse now.

I expect if someone offered her some illegal drugs she would prolly take them out of desperation.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 1:01pm

cods wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:25am:
it can be addictive   when bought over the counter there is no way of knowing how many some are taking.......taken  with alcohol I believe it can be down right dangerous....

I cant take it because of meds I am on.....but not everyone knows that   codeine  in larger doses is the problem......a lot of the decent folks you mention   do not realise it is at the end of the day a drug...

the govt does have a duty of care imrah... I would rather they play safe than sorry...

Good morning Cods.  Happy Monday.  I hope your new week is off to a good start.  Thanks again for our chat.  Thanks also Sir Spot for your informative reply.

First, I wish to point out that there is usually one person who knows how much codeine they have taken, and that is the one with the mouth that they put it in, for whatever reason. 

Indeed codeine is a derivative of the opium poppy as far as I know, and it was featured in the movie Midnight Express about a Turkish prison where codeine was a last resort if not the only resort, and if used for chronic mental pain, it is known to become addictive, because mental pain is only treated temporarily with a drug, and so the drug will be craved until external factors change to reduce the mental pain, not necessarily alleviating the addiction.  This is my opinion based on experience.  I am not addicted to anything unless I am in pain of some kind, and find something to overcome the pain, eg. beer.

So the question comes down to whether adults can be trusted to make a decision for themselves in their own best interests, being well enough informed of the addictive component in codeine.  This means only use codeine as a last resort.  If it is a mild headache, give it an hour and if pain persists, take a dispirin or mild, non-opioid pain killer.

Bear in mind that adults are assumed to have the common sense to vote in elections.  Without a vaild reason, it is in my opinion a little on the totalitarian side to take away a citizen's right to do what they think is best for themselves, providing there is a nett gain for them and no harm to others.

---

It is interesting that you mention codeine and alcohol in combination, because in my experience 6mg of codeine has about the same effect on me as 750ml of beer, as far as awareness and coordination is concerned.  I would not drive a car after more than a slow bottle of beer, and although it is quite legal, I would not drive a car after any codeine if possible, and if it must be, then no more than 12mg; two tablets.  I have taken codeine tablets for pain at different times over the past thirty years and believe I have learned somewhat about the drowsiness that it causes.  In that way, codeine is likely as dangerous as alcohol behind the wheel.

In conclusion, the duty of care is a slippery slope.  I am certain that it should never be sold OTC to children, for sure.  For adults, considering that the vast majority of us do not become addicted to codeine, the duty of care should, in my opinion, not be such a broad measure as to ban codeine sales over the counter to sane adults, because the few people, (reportedly 300 last year in Australia), who will be less likely to overdose if they are unable to procure an alternative on the black market, do not amount to as much benefit in total, as the thousands of responsible people who will suffer.  This is what the article is about.  Take away the legal OTC method of coping with pain, and most people who experience chronic or sporadic pain will explore alternative sources.

Oh, lastly.  I notice now that taking 12mg of codeine that comes in Mersyndol tablets will cause a mild stomach upheaval, and if I then take another two tablets inside the space of four hours or so, then something which has been recently added to the tablets will cause me to feel like vomiting.  This is IMHO a reasonable compromise to stop addicts overdosing on a dozen codeine tablets.  The stomach can't handle it. 

Thanks for the opportunity for an epic rant on a Monday.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 8:18am

cods wrote on Jun 25th, 2018 at 9:25am:
Imrah wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
Do you see how, in my opinion, banning codeine over the counter in low dosages was a foolish mistake for decent Australian

Doctors are now going to be monitored on how much codeine is being prescribed to their patients, which means it will now be almost impossible for some people to get pain relief.

I've always bought a couple of packets of Panadeine a year because it does give pain relief when it's needed. The monitoring by chemists was a great idea - but now we're supposed to rely on overdosing on panadol instead to bring a lesser pain relief as one panadeine tablet would. Some of the over the counter drugs are far worse than a small dose of codeine occasionally. All drugs are bad when abused, but those who need occasional pain relief and don't abuse drugs are being punished. I can't see the rationale behind this.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:54am

When I had an operation 24 years ago, I went through the recovery period with painkiller after painkiller every 4 hours. Then I found out that the painkillers were something like $10 a pill. Those painkillers were worth it. But my parents had to pay for them out of their own pocket. The nurse suggested that I go with the paracetamols for the final stages. Dad told me how much it set them back at the end of the hospital stay. Had I known, I would have gone with the cheaper option.

People needing opiods obviously have an addiction. If they can't recover from a bit of pain after a few weeks, then they are in need of some remedy that does not involve painkillers.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 12:07pm

People are denied proper pain relief all because of a few junkies.

That's not fair on people with a genuine need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print