Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Why a tampon tax is a good idea (Read 5915 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Why a tampon tax is a good idea
Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:07pm

Economists recommend that tax systems be designed so that they do not 'skew' the market. That is, so that the market differs as little as possible from what it would look like if it were untaxed. There are a few main strategies to do this:

1) Spread the tax as thinly and evenly as possible - GST.

2) Tax items with a low price sensitivity. That is, things that people would buy roughly the same amount of regardless of price - drugs, alcohol, income, tampons, cancer medication etc. This is also why they advise against a luxury tax on things like yachts. Rich people will just spend their money on something else ('substitute' goods, eg an overseas holiday), but you will kill jobs in the yacht making business.

3) Tax an industry you actually want to slow down, and would have to otherwise regulate some other way - carbon taxes, eco taxes, the green tax shift concept. Drug and alcohol taxes come under both 2 and 3.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Why a tampon tax is a good idea
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:15pm

I'd get rid of the tax just to make chicks feel better and stop the moaning.

I doubt tampons are plugging the gap in the economy.

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:16am

Gordon wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:15pm:

Grin Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:23am

freediver wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:07pm:
Economists recommend that tax systems be designed so that they do not 'skew' the market. That is, so that the market differs as little as possible from what it would look like if it were untaxed. There are a few main strategies to do this:

2) Tax items with a low price sensitivity. That is, things that people would buy roughly the same amount of regardless of price - drugs, alcohol, income, tampons, cancer medication etc. This is also why they advise against a luxury tax on things like yachts. Rich people will just spend their money on something else ('substitute' goods, eg an overseas holiday), but you will kill jobs in the yacht making business.

3) Tax an industry you actually want to slow down, and would have to otherwise regulate some other way - carbon taxes, eco taxes, the green tax shift concept. Drug and alcohol taxes come under both 2 and 3.

The GST doesn't apply to everything ... so why should it apply to something only half the population require for a (excuse the pun) period of their life?

It's not like they have a choice about whether to buy them or not.

Furthermore if the Federal govt were fairdinkum about taxation & taxation reform they would force all states that have kept taxes like "sales tax", "land tax" etc. to drop them as when the GST was introduced these taxes were supposed to be removed.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:10am

Blocks a gap in revenue....

Better selection - transaction tax with a few exemptions such as pensioners and unemployed, or maybe on certain transactions. That'll plug up your overseas trips etc loophole.

Eat The Rich!

Maybe charge an extra on your annual income when you apply for a passport or visa....

Plenty of ways to skin fat cats....... how much of a free ride do they expect out of life?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 1:50pm

Plenty of holes in that argument....... one way to fill the gap ...... might work if they keep it out of sight .....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 2:58pm

Well I think that the women of Australia should start sending all their used tampons to their member of Parliament.
Every day, just drop them in a ziplock bag and send them to your local twit, and see how long it takes for them to get the message.

As for what economists say, who gives a big fat F what those f'rs say? Alan Greenspan? Yeah, there's a real hero of the twentieth century. Didn't shine too bright in the 21st though, his roosters did turn to emus and kicked down the whole freakin system.

Don't Tax what rich people like they'll just buy something else??? WTF?
Tax the turds directly FFS. F me, if they want to live in Monaco and pay no tax, then do not let them own anything outside monaco. It really isn't hard. The pricks that manipulate the system to avoid paying their fair share, get shut down. Ban them, confiscate all their shite, until they learn to play by the rules.
Too many rich people go their entire lives believing the rules do not apply to them, because fwits let them get away with that.

Rich people think it is so quaint how poor people believe in paying their debts.
Just shut down the business the debts are owed by, and start again, after you've syphoned off all the assets of course.

Economists? Nup, caint say as I's super impressed.

Tampon Tax is just wrong. No ifs buts or maybes.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 5:56pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:15pm:

Must be the post of the week - that one Grin

...seriously though.

Capitalism: Small group of over-indulgent mega-rich ruling over a massive amount of over-populated Poor (The Big Goomba with a small amount of brain cells at the top).

Egalitarianism: Middle-Class - of a small group of 'breeders' with big families and a vast majority of semi-wealthy non-breeders. (A lot of brain cells, but a weak nerd body).

Both sum up Catholicism & Protestantism neatly.

Tax? It's something white male Politicians pay to 'tinted' males with their daughters and wives. Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:29pm

Gnads wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:23am:

The GST doesn't apply to everything ... so why should it apply to something only half the population require for a (excuse the pun) period of their life?

Furthermore if the Federal govt were fairdinkum about taxation & taxation reform they would force all states that have kept taxes like "sales tax", "land tax" etc. to drop them as when the GST was introduced these taxes were supposed to be removed.

That does not make sense. The GST should apply to everything. Fresh fruit, tampons, etc. That it does not apply to everything is not a rational argument.

Quote:
Better selection - transaction tax with a few exemptions such as pensioners and unemployed, or maybe on certain transactions. That'll plug up your overseas trips etc loophole.

That is one of the worst possible ideas. It would destroy the finance industry without raising much revenue, because people would just find a way to avid paying it.

Quote:
As for what economists say, who gives a big fat F what those f'rs say?

People who like to keep their job.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:40pm

freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:29pm:
Gnads wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:23am:

That does not make sense. The GST should apply to everything. Fresh fruit, tampons, etc. That it does not apply to everything is not a rational argument.

Quote:

That is one of the worst possible ideas. It would destroy the finance industry without raising much revenue, because people would just find a way to avid paying it.

Quote:
As for what economists say, who gives a big fat F what those f'rs say?

People who like to keep their job.

A transaction tax would be just as fair as a GST and everyone would pay it all down the chain, it could be much lower than a GST.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm

What if a particular item took 1000 transactions to produce, and the value of each transaction was over half the final value of the product? Do you think the tax might skew the market against such an item?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:55pm

freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:44pm:
What if a particular item took 1000 transactions to produce, and the value of each transaction was over half the final value of the product? Do you think the tax might skew the market against such an item?

Would that be bad? What would a transaction tax of .01c bring in? The tax would be collected all down the chain and the end user would pay the price for the goods.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:56pm

A tax of 0.01c per transaction? Maybe enough to pay a few politicians salaries.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:00pm

freediver wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 8:56pm:
A tax of 0.01c per transaction? Maybe enough to pay a few politicians salaries.

Every transaction, every exchange of funds? Anyway, I'm have no idea of how many transactions are carried through per day/year, so adjust it when we have the figures. Everyone pays tax that way though.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 9:00pm

Why not have a Profit Tax?

Australia makes Surfboard for $800
Sells it for $1300

China makes Surfboard for $300
Sells it (in Aust) for $1200

There's a difference of 'quality' for sure
and a difference of 'Profit Margin'
Australia Profit is $500
China Profit is $900

So China makes a cheaper and crappier Surfboard
but reaps a bigger Profit of an extra $400.

So you tell me who really needs to be TAXED here
  Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print