AGL out of control (Read 2293 times)
red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
AGL out of control
Jun 18th, 2018 at 3:52pm

Put simply AGL (Gas) is exporting 25% of Australia's Gas supplies overseas

Now AGL want to import Gas then sell it back to us at world parity prices which would mean we would have to go back to burning wood to stay warm because we sure as hell couldn't afford world parity prices

Has the world gone mad? Has the Australian Government gone mad? They need to stamp on AGL hard. If it requires legislation to do it..then legislate

But that frigging Gas is Australia's and we come first.

Nationalise it if you have to but get the bloody job done Turnbull

You have already managed to f,.... us over with the banks now its the Gas companies' turn to ream us

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Re: AGL out of control
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:34pm

Why should Australians pay less than world prices?

AGL has an obligation to its shareholders to get the best possible price for the gas it produces.

AGL has no responsibility to subsidize gas prices to the Australian public.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:34pm:

AGL has an obligation to its shareholders to get the best possible price for the gas it produces.

Because world prices are the result of corrupt, dishonest scum of the earth fossil fuel conglomerates.

You know very well how they manipulate markets to drive up demand, create false shortages, and every trick to get people used to paying more and more, so these turds can steal more and more, and more, and more, and more, ad infinitum.
Meanwhile they pay scumbag accountant type drones to justify never paying proper remuneration to any not part of their insider clique of corruption, including countries and governments they consider themselves above.

There are real consequences to the bastardry of the corporate world.
Real people die, in the real world, because maggots like this manipulate numbers for their own enrichment and aggrandisement.

These scum deserve to be properly regulated by honest governments, not bribe their way to free market rape and pillage, without consequence.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:58pm

It's called a contract Baron. If we make one, we stick to it, even if it is politically unpopular.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:02pm

"Has the Australian Government gone mad?"... too late...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:07pm

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:34pm:

Hence the need to overturn any contract they may have, and reject any attempt at compensation.  Better that they moderate their stance now before either a real government gets in and does it for them...or even worse .. before the people get in and do it for them...

Falc their shareholders - they're doing well enough now and can take their chances on an open market for a change.  You wanna play the poker machine called the stock market - be prepared to lose sometimes.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:12pm

Only a fool would sell something to their neighbour at half the price the guy across the road is offering because they think it is their neighbourly duty. But somewhere along the way this idiocy gets turned into sensible government policy for exports.

You would all be singing a different tune if you had sunk a few billion dollars into an export oriented business and some lazy bum started telling their politicians they were entitled to buy your product at half the going rate.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:38pm

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:12pm:
Only a fool would sell something to their neighbour at half the price the guy across the road is offering because they think it is their neighbourly duty. But somewhere along the way this idiocy gets turned into sensible government policy for exports.

You would all be singing a different tune if you had sunk a few billion dollars into an export oriented business and some lazy bum started telling their politicians they were entitled to buy your product at half the going rate.

What happened to market forces?  Overtaken by the offshore monopoly?

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm

What offshore monopoly?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:32pm

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm:
What offshore monopoly?

When a cartel sets a 'global parity price' it is operating as a monopoly.  There are sound reasons why monopolies are illegal in most civilised states.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:26am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:32pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm:
What offshore monopoly?

When a cartel sets a 'global parity price' it is operating as a monopoly.  There are sound reasons why monopolies are illegal in most civilised states.

OPEC doesn't set prices. It sets production quotas.

OPEC has 44.1% of oil production and 21.5% Natural Gas production.

Natural gas prices are dictated by the biggest market, which is the USA.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1830/opec/

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:39am

Monopoly behaviour.  So now you suggest that setting production quotas does not affect prices?

O...K ....

As for 'world parity prices' - the Offshore Cartel setting that is behaving as a monopoly.

The sooner the 'global lack of economy' is demolished, the better for everyone in the world.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:48am

More Australians would benefit from cheap domestic gas prices than the few who own shares in the recourse.

Actually the people who own shares would probably make more from their other equities rising due to to decreased energy costs.

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:12am

Gordon wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:48am:
More Australians would benefit from cheap domestic gas prices than the few who own shares in the recourse.

Actually the people who own shares would probably make more from their other equities rising due to to decreased energy costs.

Umm - yes - every time the power bills go up, so does the cost of running a store etc, and thus the prices of goods, and thus costs of living for all... it's another stupidly conceived and created endless spiral to nowhere, with costs of living causing disaster for the many, followed by continued upward pressure on incomes to match, and thus spiraling real inflation.

One more victory like privatisation of power supply or gas supply and we will have no nation left to defend....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:12am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:12am:
Gordon wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:48am:

Umm - yes - every time the power bills go up, so does the cost of running a store etc, and thus the prices of goods, and thus costs of living for all... it's another stupidly conceived and created endless spiral to nowhere, with costs of living causing disaster for the many, followed by continued upward pressure on incomes to match, and thus spiraling real inflation.

One more victory like privatisation of power supply or gas supply and we will have no nation left to defend....

Does that mean closet poms could return to their origin? Bring it on baby.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print