Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australians Couldn't Last A Month On Savings Alone (Read 1909 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Australians Couldn't Last A Month On Savings Alone
Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:30am

One in three Australians couldn't last a month on savings alone   Sad

17 June 2018
Canberra Times

One in three working Australians would not be able to last a full month on just their savings, a new consumer survey found.   Sad

A survey of more than 2000 Australians by comparison website finder.com.au found 33 per cent would run out of money if they became injured or unable to work for a month.

More than 60 per cent of those surveyed said they couldn't last six months on savings alone if they suddenly could no longer work.

While 64 per cent of those surveyed in the consumer poll responded they wouldn't be able to support themselves for six months without income, just more than one in five respondents said they wouldn't be able to last at all.   Sad

Finder's income protection spokeswoman Bessie Hassan said although the survey didn't break down results for each Australian jurisdiction, many ACT residents would be in financial difficulty if they were suddenly unable to work.

"Many ACT workers would be in real strife if there was a bump in the road," she said.

"All workers need a backup plan in case their income stream dries up."

About 20 per cent of those surveyed said they would be able to survive on their savings as well as their sick leave for more than three years.

The survey also found more women believed they wouldn't be able to make their savings last over six months, 71 per cent, compared to men, 59 per cent.

Women were also more than 1.5 times more likely to find themselves in financial strife than men, according to the results.

Baby Boomers would also be more prepared with savings in the event of an emergency, with 40 per cent saying they would have enough money to fall back on, compared to 25 per cent of Generation X and Generation Y respondents.

Ms Hassan said between three and six months of savings should be stored away in the event of an emergency.

"If you are unable to work, the last thing you want to happen is to fall into serious debt or worry about losing the roof over your head," she said.

"A safety net such as income protection can assist ACT workers in the event of prolonged periods of unemployment due to serious illness or injury."

When respondents were asked how they would support themselves for three months, 28 per cent said savings, while 19 per cent said they had enough paid leave for them to last the period.

Just 13 per cent of those surveyed had income protection to fall back on, with 7 per cent relying on family and friends.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australians Couldn't Last A Month On Savings Alone
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:40am

one of the things which seperates the superior man from fat steve is that steve just likes to pleasure himself.  steve likes to feel pleasure NOW and he is functioning at the level of the reptilian brain.

so if steve or janeen, see some fast food, or some alcohol or some pokies or some shiney object, their crocodile brains think about the instant gratification of being "stimulated" right now.

such people dont plan for a month out.

they are functioning at the level of a toddler and expect mummy and daddy ( in this case the government) to provide for them when they are sad and hungry and all butt hurt because they didnt take any responsibility for themselves.

the government , in this way, are "enabling" this very pathological behaviour to continue.

fat steve and fat janeen are going nowhere until they start to take personal responsibility for the trajectory of their lives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 1:22pm

I doubt that's a representative sample, but there are a lot of people who spend everything they earn, no matter how much they earn.

That's why we are all being forced to have superannuation - and it costs us about 1% of the investment per year just to do all the paperwork.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:32pm

I could do it - have done it  but most aussies dont have any savings thanks to high mortgages/rents electricity internet etc etc and fees eating up the interest.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:01pm

No-one is forcing anyone to get a mortgage. Or the internet. Since when is something that did not exist a generation ago considered a necessity?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:10pm

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 1:22pm:
I doubt that's a representative sample, but there are a lot of people who spend everything they earn, no matter how much they earn.

That's why we are all being forced to have superannuation - and it costs us about 1% of the investment per year just to do all the paperwork.

I told you we need to start adding value and exporting instead of borrowing money to fuel a fake services based economy making cups of coffee and ripping each other off on lawn mowing rounds. That will never pay off our debts Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:10pm:

I told you we need to start adding value and exporting instead of borrowing money to fuel a fake services based economy making cups of coffee and ripping each other off on lawn mowing rounds. That will never pay off our debts Sad

Great idea, lets take a small problem as use it as an excuse for the government to wreck the whole economy.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:02am

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
No-one is forcing anyone to get a mortgage. Or the internet. Since when is something that did not exist a generation ago considered a necessity?

The moment it became a useful tool to admonish the useless tools who are ruining this country in their running of it.  The internet is the phoney's worst enemy and offers the long-suffering public a chance to get stuck into them with readily available data.

(mu-ha-ah-ahhhhh)....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:03am

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm:

Great idea, lets take a small problem as use it as an excuse for the government to wreck the whole economy.

SOP for governments, but they try to tell us they are doing it right and proper...... instead of wrecking it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 7:03am

Rent. If you dont have a mortgage you prolly have rent. And the govt forces ppl to have the internet. almost everyhting in australia has to be done "online" now.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:24am

freediver wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm:

Yeh right only a small problem is it ?? You just keep going with your coffee shops and container loads of imported junk and see how far that gets you. It won't be long before Australia is in the death knells of losing all of its public assets to the highest foreign bidder !! 

http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/

It is not a coincidence that china is becoming a major super power. They did it by making stuff and adding value not by making cups of coffee and mowing each others lawn !

Also their givernment encourages their citizens to stockpile precious metals like gold and silver whereas our governments forces us to buy shares in harvey norman and kogan through our super funds Sad

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:40am by Sir lastnail »  

aussiedebt.gif (54 KB | 25 )
aussiedebt.gif

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:29am

Once upon a time ... Australians could live on their wits.

WTF has happened.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:31am

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:29am:

WTF has happened.

Their luck ran out !

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:34am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:31am:
Unforgiven wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:29am:

WTF has happened.

Their luck ran out !

Maybe we should be financing boats back to UK and backloading with Africans and Asians.

I wonder if those live sheep transporters will be for hire.

Denizen Gordon can be the Judas goat.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:13pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 7:03am:

Rent. If you dont have a mortgage you prolly have rent. And the govt forces ppl to have the internet. almost everyhting in australia has to be done "online" now.

Spot

Rent is a lot cheaper than a mortgage.

And the government does not force anyone to have the internet. They may be mismanaging things, but not that badly.

Quote:
It is not a coincidence that china is becoming a major super power. They did it by making stuff and adding value not by making cups of coffee and mowing each others lawn !

Also their givernment encourages their citizens to stockpile precious metals like gold and silver whereas our governments forces us to buy shares in harvey norman and kogan through our super funds

You have no clue. They did it by having a billion hungry people willing to work for a fraction of what you do. And they are are earning a bit more, they are paying us a fortune for our degrees, steak and iron ore.

And government's have a hard time taxing jewellery.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print