Send Topic Print
shares (Read 8546 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
shares
Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:52am

I've recently started investing in shares. So far I have shares in the following companies:

Telstra
Lynas
G8 Education
Thorn Group

Is anyone else having a punt?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: shares
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:08pm

Yes I have a share portfolio
It's not for the faint hearted. Watching the market going up and down but it still has a better return than 1% in the Bank

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:07pm

I used to but not any more

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:40pm

freediver wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:52am:
I've recently started investing in shares. So far I have shares in the following companies:

Telstra
Lynas
G8 Education
Thorn Group

Is anyone else having a punt?

Yes I have been buying shares for over 20 years.

It pays to do some research on the companies before buying.
I prefer those that pay good dividends to provide extra income.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:48pm

I have a portfolio in my smsf but also trade short term.

Also trade options

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 9:50am

Spot did you switch to a different trading method, or give up entirely?

Gordon do you make a net profit from the short term trades? And is it all technical (patterns in charts)? I went through the IG academy course, and the technical analysis stuff looked like reading tea leaves, and they seemed to push the short term trading stuff in a very misleading way.

Can anyone recommend any winners for me?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 10:10am

I have had Shares, But I have none now!

My current expectation is that "the Proverbial will hit the fan" & that is likely to happen, in the not to distant future!

The final wash up, of "the Proverbial hitting the fan", is likely to see a Decline in share values of between 50-90%!?

Good Luck!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 10:14am

freediver wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 9:50am:
Spot did you switch to a different trading method, or give up entirely?

Gordon do you make a net profit from the short term trades? And is it all technical (patterns in charts)? I went through the IG academy course, and the technical analysis stuff looked like reading tea leaves, and they seemed to push the short term trading stuff in a very misleading way.

Can anyone recommend any winners for me?

Yes, I do.

I only trade two shares tho, BHP and CBA because I use options around the underlying share, and only BHP and CBA have enough action to get rid of options quickly.

IBI

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm

Short term trading is pretty much just gambling. And just like gamblers, traders only tell you about their wins.

It's a bit like how everybody tells you that they got out of the market just before the GFC in 2008.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:28pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm:

Short term trading is pretty much just gambling. And just like gamblers, traders only tell you about their wins.

It's a bit like how everybody tells you that they got out of the market just before the GFC in 2008.

I don't think you read what I said or just didn't understand.

My style is actually very conservative and working options around them provides insurance.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:38pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:21pm:

Shares can be a mugs game -
you get lulled into a false sense of security when they just
go up or down 1% here & there for years on end then -

one day there's a crash & they go down 20% in a day & another 30% the next day
& no one wants to buy your shares.
I've seen it before in 1987,  2000 with tech shares, 2008 GFC  etc.

Then again I wished I would have bought BHP when they went down to $15 a few years ago
but at the time there seemed there was no bottom to the market for BHP.
Some were claiming they would hit $5.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:55pm

Mine are in my SMSF

however my brother who is a dabbler, mentioned having some Bank Of Qld a few months ago as they returned a good dividend around 7% I think he said!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:01pm

The economic of the sharemarket is fascistic: it's all hiding behind a limited responsibility to others!

Go war!!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:13pm

"Most traders will lose regardless of what methods they employ."

It appears that sit and hold is the most steady way to make money. My wife is a loser at investing. She took a course in options trading and dropped $ 25,000 (that was just pocket change to test the feasibility of making money on options trading) in a month on US stock market options trading and dropped out afterward. I tried a practice account for US options trading and bombed out after a month without putting any money in. It wasn't encouraging.

Options and other active trading increases risk.

Otherwise doing well on sit and hold shares and dividends.

https://vantagepointtrading.com/why-most-traders-lose-money-and-why-the-market-r...

Quote:
Why Most Traders Lose Money and Why the Market Requires It
Posted on April 19, 2018 by Cory Mitchell, CMT
Learn why most traders lose money, and why that will always be the case. It’s a systematic requirement of the market. While individuals can break from the herd and make above-average returns, the vast majority of people will continue to buy and sell at the wrong times. Learn from the mistakes of the herd, so you can step into the small group of consistently successful traders.

This article is broken down in sections:

How trends and reversals happen, which is systematic of significant losses by the crowd.
The social influence factor that shapes the crowd and lures people into the loser’s circle.
The numbers game: the best traders continually take the money of the less experienced.
How to break from the crowd and become an independent and consistently profitable trader.
Most traders have heard the statistics “95% of traders lose money” or “Only a few percent of traders make a living at it.”

While the numbers vary slightly from study to study, the fact is many traders will lose money and it can’t be avoided.  All sorts of reasons are given for the losses, including poor money management, bad timing, or a poor strategy. These factors do play a role in individual trading success…but there is a deeper reason why most people lose.

Most traders will lose regardless of what methods they employ. Even if all traders knew how (keep in mind, knowing and doing are two very different things) to trade successfully based on current conditions, most traders would still lose over the long run. Let’s explore why that is.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:47pm

You must know there are extremely risky options strategies, and very conservative ones, right?

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print