Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
UK gets it's empirical anus kicked in the UN (Read 941 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

UK gets it's empirical anus kicked in the UN
Jun 15th, 2018 at 8:53pm

No EU member voted for the UK. The UK only got 15 votes, which were probably the usual suspects, like stooge Australia. There were 94 votes against the UK.

A right royal colonial cockup. Boris Johnson is an ass-clown who is unfit to be Foreign Affairs Minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/22/un-vote-backing-chagos-islands-a-b...

Quote:
EU members abstain as Britain defeated in UN vote on Chagos Islands
Mauritius supported by 94 nations in move to consult The Hague over colonial hold of Indian Ocean territory by British

Owen Bowcott

The UK has suffered a humiliating defeat at the United Nations general assembly in a vote over decolonisation and its residual hold over disputed territory in the Indian Ocean.

By a margin of 94 to 15 countries, delegates supported a Mauritian-backed resolution to seek an advisory opinion from the international court of justice (ICJ) in The Hague on the legal status of the Chagos Islands.

A further 65 countries abstained on Thursday, including many EU states who might have been expected to vote in support of another bloc member.

Among EU members who abstained were France, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia, Greece and Finland. Canada and Switzerland also abstained.

Speaking after the vote Jagdish Koonjul, the Mauritian representative at the UN, said: “I’m elated. The results are beyond my expectations. It’s interesting that the EU didn’t support the UK. Even some of the countries that supported the UK agreed that this was an issue of decolonisation. Now we wait to see what the UK will do as a result of the vote. We have given the US full comfort of a long-term lease [for the Diego Garcia base] that would be renewable [if sovereignty passed to Mauritius].”

The resolution, though only in favour of obtaining a non-binding legal opinion, is a blow to the UK’s international prestige and demonstrates the limited diplomatic influence wielded by the British foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, at the UN.

Philippe Sands
@philippesands
#UNGA votes overwhelmingly to refer the questions of #Chagos #selfdetermination and decolonisation of #Mauritius to #ICJ

The row between Mauritius and the UK – over what Britain terms BIOT, or British Indian Ocean Territory – has become increasingly acrimonious in recent years.

In 1965, three years before Mauritius was granted independence, the UK decided to separate the Chagos Islands, an archipelago, from the rest of its Indian Ocean colony. The Mauritian government claims this was in breach of UN resolution 1514, passed in 1960, which specifically banned the breakup of colonies before independence.

Most of the 1,500 islanders were deported so that the largest island, Diego Garcia, could be leased to the US for a strategic airbase in 1971. The US was one of the few countries that publicly backed the UK over the islands’ fate. The islanders have never been allowed to return home.

The UK has promised to return the Chagos Islands to Mauritius when they are no longer needed for defence purposes, but has refused to give a date.

Two years ago Mauritius won a ruling at the permanent court of arbitration at The Hague saying Britain had acted illegally in the way it had exercised territorial control over the Chagos Islands. The court criticised the UK for failing to consult over establishing a marine protection zone around what is now the British Indian Ocean Territory.

The fact that Diego Garcia was used by the CIA after 9/11 in rendition and interrogation operations may have alienated many states from the UK’s cause.

Urging delegates at the UN general assembly to oppose the resolution, the UK permanent representative, Matthew Rycroft, warned: “This could set a precedent that many of you in this hall could come to regret.” He added that “the resolution for an advisory opinion is an attempt by the government of Mauritius to circumvent the principle” – referring to the principle that a state could only be involved at the ICJ through its own consent.

The UK, Rycroft added, would not consent to the Chagos Islands being taken to the court. The dispute, he said, should be left as a bilateral issue for the UK and Mauritius to deal with through direct negotiations, and that the Chagos Islands were still needed for security purposes.

Philipe Sands QC, who attended the UN debate, and is acting as legal counsel for Mauritius, said: “The vote, passed with an overwhelming majority, sends a strong signal about the UN’s attachment to decolonisation. That Britain was able to obtain the support of barely a dozen countries, including just four EU members and no permanent member of the security council apart from the US, will, hopefully, give it pause for thought about its position on Chagos.

“Its arguments that Chagos is about security and a bilateral matter between it and Mauritius were given short shrift. The message is clear: the UN wants the world court to rule on Chagos, and seeks the court’s advice and assistance in bringing colonialism to an end.”

Advisory opinions at the ICJ are normally triggered by a formal request from the UN secretary general. The court can request submissions from member states and those involved in a dispute.

Although its findings are normally non binding, the ICJ’s advisory opinions carry some legal influence and moral authority. ...

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: UK gets it's empirical anus kicked in the UN
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 10:15pm

So swapping UK for the more highly paid US colonisation.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Perhaps he's trying to say that the Brits invented science.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:18pm

'Exiled Chagos Islanders are protesting in the UK'.

No third wold existence to for those mouthy gits then. Gissa benefit, white man.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:56am

Frank wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:18pm:

No third wold existence to for those mouthy gits then. Gissa benefit, white man.

UK has so far avoided blame and compensation for its screw-ups.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:21am

Unforgiven wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:56am:
Frank wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:18pm:

UK has so far avoided blame and compensation for its screw-ups.

The Chagossians only occupied the island for 150 years..... not what you'd call a long term indigenous occupation claim.

It's a UK territory with a US Military base on it ....no one except military personnel & contractors are on the island.

It's 2,150 klms away from Mauritius & if you read the history it's a bit of a stretch for Mauritius to make a claim on Diego Garcia/the Chagos archipelago.

It's like the false claim Indonesia put on West Papua because like them it had been part of the Dutch East Indies.

And their takeover was also sanctioned by the UN .... and 55 years later there are up to 500,000 West Papuans dead at Indonesian hands.

How many of the Chagossians have been treated like that?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Its more anti-white hot air from Unforgiven. Britain and the US are not abandoning Diego Garcia because of self-interested blathering in the UN.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:38pm

issuevoter wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm:
Its more anti-white hot air from Unforgiven. Britain and the US are not abandoning Diego Garcia because of self-interested blathering in the UN.

UK is being sued in the World Court. At the very least a loss would be more humiliating than the loss in the UN.

Don't worry darling. Fear not McTavish, Closet-poms won't catch rectitude by getting their rectums booted by third-world people.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 1:53pm

You know that empirical has nuffin' to do with empire, don't  you, Sambo?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:00pm

Frank wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
You know that empirical has nuffin' to do with empire, don't  you, Sambo?

Does it really matter? The event happened. The UK got its anus kicked causing anguish amongst closet-poms.

"the posterior probability of an event"
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:17pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:11pm

On 27 April 1786 the Chagos Islands and Diego Garcia were claimed for Great Britain. However, the territory was ceded to Britain by treaty only after Napoleon's defeat, in 1814. The Chagos were governed from Mauritius, which was by that time also a British colony.[14]

The poms  won them  off the French after they defeated the Portuguese who  were first to settle these uninhabited islands. It's theirs. F   uc  k of darkies.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:11pm:
On 27 April 1786 the Chagos Islands and Diego Garcia were claimed for Great Britain. However, the territory was ceded to Britain by treaty only after Napoleon's defeat, in 1814. The Chagos were governed from Mauritius, which was by that time also a British colony.[14]

The poms  won them  off the French after they defeated the Portuguese who  were first to settle these uninhabited islands. It's theirs. F   uc  k of darkies.

Uninhabited means no poms lived there according to Mr. Hammer.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:19pm

wiki
According to Southern Maldivian oral tradition, local traders and fishermen were occasionally lost at sea and got stranded in one of the islands of the Chagos. Eventually they were rescued and brought back home.[7] However, these islands were judged to be too far away from the Maldives to be settled permanently by Maldivians. Thus for many centuries the Chagos were ignored by their northern neighbours.
In Maldivian lore the whole group is known as Fōlhavahi or Hollhavai (the latter name in the Southern Maldives Adduan dialect of Dhivehi). There are no separate names for the different atolls of the Chagos in the Maldivian oral tradition.[8]

Look it up. Nobody lived on them until the Portuguese arrived. The yanks won't give up their military bases anyway so this vote means nothing.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:28pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:19pm:
wiki
According to Southern Maldivian oral tradition, local traders and fishermen were occasionally lost at sea and got stranded in one of the islands of the Chagos. Eventually they were rescued and brought back home.[7] However, these islands were judged to be too far away from the Maldives to be settled permanently by Maldivians. Thus for many centuries the Chagos were ignored by their northern neighbours.
In Maldivian lore the whole group is known as Fōlhavahi or Hollhavai (the latter name in the Southern Maldives Adduan dialect of Dhivehi). There are no separate names for the different atolls of the Chagos in the Maldivian oral tradition.[8]

Look it up. Nobody lived on them until the Portuguese arrived. The yanks won't give up their military bases anyway so this vote means nothing.

If the vote means nothing why did the UK lobby so intensely for support? In fact, why did the UK not vote for it?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:49pm

With snutc like you 'Unfortunate', you little tinted turd pusher, it does make me wonder why we civilised most of the planet .........obviously it didn't work with a scumbag like you.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print