Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Kim just proved his nukes work (Read 11299 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Kim just proved his nukes work
Reply #45 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:13pm:
cods wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:10pm:
what red carpet???

... no let him have his WAR  much better than a handshake any day...

it will kill more! but gweg will be happy with that...

gotta keep these lefties happy

This red carpet.

https://static.lakana.com/mmm-global-us-east-1/photo/2018/06/11/Trump%20and%20Ki...

Why do you like to see tin-pot dictators treated like royalty, cods?

I'm curious.

You are a complete idiot, Turd. Royalty?

You would complain about anything and everything Trump did. You are THAT stupid.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #46 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:55pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
Trump has just legitimized the North Korean dictator by meeting him one on one. Lets not forget the horrendous human rights abuses committed under Kim Jong Un.

Trump has also sent the message to any other tinpot dictatorship that the way to be recognised on the world stage and get an audience with the US president is to develop nuclear weapons

It's strange isn't it -
Kim developed nuclear weapons that he could never use
without 100% sure retaliation turning his whole country into Trinitite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitite

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:16pm

Gandalf, do you think the threat of US invasion or decapitation has reduced?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #48 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 12:05pm

It was strange the lead up to this.  Trump's cancellation, then weak "it's a great letter, I haven't read it yet" reason to put it back on the table after this first calls for "I will denuclearise North Korea in this meeting" to after it being put back on, "this is but the first step"...

It's like, as usual, Trump has an (uninformed) opinion of how things would go, learnt just the bare minimum of information to make him realise he had no idea what he was getting himself into, called it all off, realised that this hurt him in his support base because he made them look incredibly stupid with all their claims that he'd already brought peace to the region and should get the Nobel Peace Prize, and that coin, so he found a reason to put it back on (without reading the reason) and then lowered expectations even further.

But all of that aside, with all his rhetoric before the meeting, about the little rocket man, the nuclear buttons etc, most people were worried Trump would go there being the uninformed loudmouth that he is, thinking he knows best and making the situation worse by escalating tensions even further.

Well, that didn't happen, which was great.  But it swung equally as far in the opposite direction.

Trump did exactly what every other president and world leader have tried their hardest not to do and play directly into North Korea's hands.

In reality, it was more akin to a negotiation with terrorists.  The US has a policy of not negotiating with Terrorists because of the message it sends, but this is exactly what Trump did, and not only that, he showed how bad a negotiator he is.

Now, all any nation has to do to get a seat at the big boy table is whatever the hell their want, to their people, to their neighbours, so long as they can become a Nuclear power, they'll get the Red Carpet treatment by the US.

This is either an extremely dangerous precedent, especially given the level of admiration and praise Trump has PUBLICLY shown to this monster but also has signalled to the rest of the world that the US is not to be looked to for leadership anymore.

This is a great opportunity for Russia and especially China to step up and replace the US as the more dominant superpower.

Another of Trump's potential disastrous legacies and like so many others, he seems oblivious to it because he's so focused on himself.  He's stacked his team, those that should be keeping him grounded, with yes men.  It's the worse case scenario.

At the end of the day, while this is on Trump's shoulders, I really don't care whose fault it is, I just hope Trump can realise the situation he's in and finds a way to fix it.  The US with all their faults, their stupid and flawed notions of "leave it to the free markets" and trickle down economics, they are still more in line with our values and the lesser of evils when it comes to "world leadership" (for lack of a better term).

It's the same thing from day one after the election, we wish Trump all the best because his failuers have global impacts, but we don't hold much hope for him not smacking things up.

Time and time again that lack of faith has sadly been proven true for anyone interested in objective reality and taken as further proof of the deep state or some other conspiracy to Trumps supporters, some who are even brought to tears by how mean everyone is being to Trump.

What the actual F..!?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #49 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 12:57pm

Frank wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:15am:
- helped ably of course by the most inept US President in history.

Kim's nukes, and threats to use them on US soil (specifically Guam) if provoked, convinced Trump to come to the negotiating table. Something that no other US president has been persuaded to do. This alone is a huge victory for Kim and NK - the standard response by past US presidents has been to not want to legitimise NK's regime by meeting with the Kim's as equals.

As for the actual summit, Trump made literally the only concession made - to abandon the war games off NK with South Korea. Furthermore, Trump horrified politicians and media alike in the US by describing them exactly for what they are - a provocation. So Kim not only removed a direct physical threat to his soil, he got the US president to admit they were wrong in the first place. Even further, Trump is now openly talking about removing US troops from the peninsular altogether. Trump got absolutely nothing in return. Nada, Zilch. Worse, he went in assuring everyone he would achieve clear and ironclad commitments by Kim to disarm. He didn't come close. All he got was some wafty vague claim that maybe, sometime in the future Kim might disarm. Pathetic.

Kim's status and legitimacy has skyrocketed overnight. Trump continues to talk about him in glowing terms - for now at least he is no longer "little rocket man" or some crazy murderous despot. Even while the issue of sanctions and trade prospects remains up in the air, really could Kim have hoped for any more from this summit? He not only secured the only actual concession made at the summit, he has also practically legitimised and protected his nukes - given that he is under no obligation whatsoever - I repeat, no obligation whatsoever, to get rid of them. But most of all, he is now a recognised "player" on the international stage, at least as far as the US is concerned. And that, is surely more than Kim could have dreamed of heading into the summit.

You read the Granuiad, pal, we can see.  It was this - chance of detente - or the increasing chance of armed conflict with a maddie.

But you Reagen, Bush, Howard, Abbott, Trump-derangement sufferers would rather piss on the chance of detente just because Trump brought it around.  Were you this snivelling and snide when the two Korean presidents met? No. Was he a 'player' then? Of course.

You are pathetic.

Not sure why you are defending Trump - he humiliated himself.

Credit to him for going ahead with the summit - can't take that away from him. I have far more respect to him for that than I do for all previous Presidents (including Obama), who arrogantly point-blank refused to meet him and his father purely on the basis that it might show him on an equal footing as a US president.

He had a willing partner for a detente, he could have really nutted out an actual deal that was mutually beneficial. So what did they agree to? There was one concrete agreement made - one. That was for the US to pull out of its war games with SK. Trump's own allies Korea and Japan were horrified. What did Trump get in return? Not one single thing. No, not one. Furthermore, just to rub his allies noses in it just that much more, he acknowledged those war games were "provocative".

He should have nutted out a definite timetable for disarmament, instead of waffling about some vague meaningless aspiration to maybe someday disarm. As some commentators noted, it wasn't merely letting Kim off the hook vis disarmament, it effectively legitimised Kim's nukes.

And asked why he didn't bother negotating a timetable for disarmament? Trump said, and I swear this is not satire, there was no time for details.  Grin

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #50 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 1:01pm

freediver wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:16pm:

Of course it has. But I'm not sure what your point is.

Is it that nukes work?

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 1:01pm:

Is it that nukes work?

Can you explain how it has reduced?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:52pm

Kim's status and legitimacy has skyrocketed overnight

How so? I have not seen anyone saying that suddenly, LO! the NK regime is legit!  You make up crap as you go - a bit like Mo.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #53 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:22pm

freediver wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:07pm:

Is it that nukes work?

Trump is no longer threatening to annhialate NK.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:50am

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:22pm:

Is it that nukes work?

How was he threatening it before, and how has that changed?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #55 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 12:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 9:50am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 8:22pm:

Is it that nukes work?

How was he threatening it before, and how has that changed?

Are you serious?

Before summit: fire and fury, little rocket man etc
After summit: Kim very talented, who loves his people

You are seriously asking how Trump's tone towards Kim has changed since the summit? You seriously don't think the summit has decreased the threat of war?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 3:43pm

Quote:

So the risk has nothing to do with US troops in SK, or military exercises in the region?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 3:52pm

freediver wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 3:43pm:
Quote:

So the risk has nothing to do with US troops in SK, or military exercises in the region?

'Risk' of what, Effendi?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #58 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 4:06pm

freediver wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 3:43pm:
Quote:

You haven't heard? Trump is abandoning the exercises, and even hinted at an eventual removal of US troops from the region. Apparently its called a 'gesture of goodwill' that often happens when leaders agree to meet together to diffuse tensions.

Would you like to ask me again how the summit has reduced the risk of war?

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jun 26th, 2018 at 7:07pm

Frank wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 5:52pm:

Kim's status and legitimacy has skyrocketed overnight

How so? I have not seen anyone saying that suddenly, LO! the NK regime is legit!  You make up crap as you go - a bit like Mo.

How so, Gandalf, my coy little Mohammedan? camel got your tongue suddenly? Effusive and lippy about skyrocketing Kims one minute, all Trappist monk in Musulman disguise the next.

Explain yourself, son of Mohammed, go on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print