Send Topic Print
Kim and Don (Read 7493 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Kim and Don
Reply #30 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:32pm

It's possible to hate Trump and hope the meeting leads to progress.

Learn to multitask,  people Wink

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:50pm

cods wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:30pm:
Gordon wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:29pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
Obama offered to meet but was attacked by the GOP and others, whats changed?

The ability to land a nuke in USA, tougher Chinese sanctions.

when did obama offer to meet Kim??>

2007, I believe.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:55pm

July 2007, I think.

He was asked if he would be willing to meet separately, without precondition, during the first year of his administration, in Washington or anywhere else, with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea.

His response was "yes".

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:02pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 2:55pm:

July 2007, I think.

He was asked if he would be willing to meet separately, without precondition, during the first year of his administration, in Washington or anywhere else, with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea.

His response was "yes".

ahh Mr Google   and was Kim boy setting off his rockets then??...

why was Obama asked to meet him    what was the aim at that time?...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #34 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:02pm

July 2007, I think.

His response was "yes".

And that was the correct way to go, so why are you against Trump meeting Kim now that conditions are even more favorable for progress?

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:08pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

July 2007, I think.

His response was "yes".

And that was the correct way to go, so why are you against Trump meeting Kim now that conditions are even more favorable for progress?

I didn't say I was against Trump meeting Kim.

I'm against a dictator who has ordered the murder of his own family members, and who oversees a gulag comparable to those of Hitler and Stalin, being able to parade on the global stage as a legitimate statesman, praised by the president of the United States as 'very talented' and worthy of trust.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #36 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:17pm

Trump should get the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama received it for doing far less for world peace, in fact he did more harm especially where Iran is concerned.

This initiative may amount to nought, but Trump certainly progressed further than Obama ever did in a very short period of time.......

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:40pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:02pm:

July 2007, I think.

His response was "yes".

I'm not. I'm against the double standard thats inherent in having a go at one President for wanting to open dialogue with a dictator, and commending another for opening dialogue with the same dictator.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #38 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 3:17pm:
Trump should get the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama received it for doing far less for world peace, in fact he did more harm especially where Iran is concerned.

This initiative may amount to nought, but Trump certainly progressed further than Obama ever did in a very short period of time.......

Let's not get carried away here. Remember all forum comments about WW3 a few months ago? It is quite possible Trump will Phaq this up. Guiliani and Pence have already done their best to kybosh the pitch.

Bojack has jogged my memory. I seem to remember Osama Obama saying he would meet Kim. So what we may have domestically, is an agreement that pisses-off the Republicans and the Democrats. That would be classic Trump.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #39 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:56pm

issuevoter wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Let's not get carried away here. Remember all forum comments about WW3 a few months ago? It is quite possible Trump will Phaq this up. Guiliani and Pence have already done their best to kybosh the pitch.

Bojack has jogged my memory. I seem to remember Osama Obama saying he would meet Kim. So what we may have domestically, is an agreement that pisses-off the Republicans and the Democrats. That would be classic Trump.

Wasn't Obama declaration that he would meet Kim more of a would if I could but I can't?

IBI

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #40 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:14pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:56pm:

Wasn't Obama declaration that he would meet Kim more of a would if I could but I can't?

I don't remember. Someone should Google that. At the same time, it seems like everyone is jumping to conclusions. There's an Op Ed on the ABC likening Trump to Chamberlain, and Kim to Hitler. The comparison is so far off kilter that I wonder if they actually pay these journalists.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 7:36am

issuevoter wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:14pm:
Gordon wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 7:56pm:

I don't remember. Someone should Google that. At the same time, it seems like everyone is jumping to conclusions. There's an Op Ed on the ABC likening Trump to Chamberlain, and Kim to Hitler. The comparison is so far off kilter that I wonder if they actually pay these journalists.

trump is a businessman (thank god).
he understands "the art of war".

asians see international relations as comparable to war.

and it is !!!.

the left want the world to be this place of cooperation and marxist wish fulfilment.
but that aint what the world is like.

the world is like apple lined up against samsung
the world is like toyota lined up against ford.

you cant all hold hands and be transparent and say what you mean and mean what you say.

you get destroyed.

trump will and should use every sneaky trick in the book to spy on, confuse, play with , change the rules, pull the rug out from under the other guy.

dumb journalists can take a hike.

trump knows what hes doing

he's 'dealing".

he's trying to secure a win for america.

there are no rules, just make sure you arent the one who is standing and misses a chair when the music stops.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:35am

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:57am

Re Gordon:

Obama could of met the North Koreans.  However, during his time in office, North Korea is going through a phase of change.  Its then leader Kim Jong Il was quiet unwell towards end of his tenure, and died in 2011, middle of Obama's first term in office.  So there is no way these two leaders can meet. 

The following few years, would see Kim Jong Un needing to consolidate his hold on power.  E.g. executing his own uncle, brother.  All these takes time.  Once he did that, he was able to further develop his nuclear capability, and with that gain a foot back on the negotiating table. 

Trump, just got in at the right time. 

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #44 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:29am

Well it could hardly get any worse than when Nobama was in office. As I said, it may not result in a change for the good, but at least he's achieved much more than his predecessor. Nobody's getting "carried away", the fact is Trump met with the little fat guy and probably left him in no doubt that the alternative to his nuclear ambitions doesn't bear thinking about.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print