Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brace For Next Round Of Penalty Rate Cuts (Read 1627 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Brace For Next Round Of Penalty Rate Cuts
Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:11am

Union warns WA workers to brace for next round of penalty rate cuts   Sad

10 June 2018
WA Today

WA's peak union body has warned around 60,000 Western Australians can expect a further drop in their pay due to a looming penalty rate cut set for next month.   

On July 1 penalty rates will be reduced by a further 10 per cent, and in some cases, 15 per cent.

The rate cut will affect those working in WA's fast food, retail, hospitality and pharmacy sectors, and since the decision was made, Australia's union bodies voiced their anger over the perceived impact the rate cut would have on some of the country's most vulnerable workers.

“Starting on July 1, around 60,000 West Australians will get a further pay cut when working Sundays or public holidays," UnionsWA secretary Meredith Hammat said.

"These cuts will harm our local economy in WA. These working people in the fast food, retail, hospitality and pharmacy sectors are already among the lowest paid in our community.

“Even taking into account the recent National Pay Case wage increase, many working people will be worse off for their Sunday and weekend work.   Sad

“This is unfair. There is no clear evidence that cutting penalty rates will create more jobs.”

“Employers profit from pay cuts, some employers will reinvest by hiring more staff and others just put it in their pocket.

“One certainty is that cutting pay for those already on a low pay is unfair.”
Pharmacy workers will be hit the hardest, with a 15 per cent pay cut to come into effect on July 1.

Pharmacy workers will be hit the hardest, with a 15 per cent pay cut to come into effect on July 1.
Photo: Reuters

According to the Business Council of Australia, the reduction in penalty rates were needed to reflect a 24/7 economy and that Sunday hours were no more unsociable than Saturday, which they will progressively be shifted in line with.

Employers also reported they would increase employment if penalty rates were reduced in Australian Industry group surveys relied on as a key body of evidence by Fair Work in reaching its decision.

Fair Work justified its decision in March last year by arguing a gradual reduction in penalty rates would result in more trading hours, an expansion in the level of services offered and an increase in overall hours worked.

Months later, the Federal Court dismissed a case brought by United Voice and the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association to have the penalty rate changes overturned after it found the Fair Work Commission had met its legal obligation to workers.

The first round of penalty rate cuts occurred in 2017, which saw Sunday and public holiday work rates slashed by 5 per cent.

The full rollout of penalty rate reductions is expected to be completed in 2020.   Sad

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Brace For Next Round Of Penalty Rate Cuts
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Unions pursue penalty rates push
13 June 2018
ACTU

Unions pursue penalty rates push

Union and community members around the country are responding to community anger over the coming round of cuts to penalty rates, which will kick in from July 1 this year.

While much of the country enjoyed a long weekend, Change the Rules campaigners mounted a mammoth doorknocking and community outreach effort on Sunday. Dubbed “Super Sunday” the action saw union and community members conduct conversations with voters in regions where the coalition has a thin grasp on power.

Multiple rounds of polling conducted for the ACTU have revealed that the coalition is out of step with community expectations on the issue of penalty rates. Polling taken by Reachtel in March revealed that 66.1% of voters in the Queensland seat of Forde want laws written to overturn the cuts. They were joined by 72.1% of voters in Gilmore on the NSW south coast, and 67.8% in Robertson on the state’s central coast.

Recent polling conducted on behalf of the ACTU revealed that more than 50 percent of voters nationwide thought business profits would rise as a result of penalty rate cuts. Less than a quarter of voters thought it would result in more jobs. Less than 6 percent thought businesses would pass on any savings in the form of higher wages.

The Turnbull Government has voted six times against legislation or amendments that would reverse cuts to penalty rates.

Quotes attributable to ACTU Secretary Sally McManus:
“The Turnbull Government is cutting the pay of working people and handing the money to big business.

"These are cuts that working people don’t deserve and can’t afford.

“This is why local activists across the country are talking about these unfair cuts with community members about what we need to do to reverse these cuts.

“By working together and using our collective strength we can change the rules.

“Everyone in Australia who is concerned about the Turnbull Government’s unfair cuts to penalty rates should join the movement for change.”

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:26pm

"The Turnbull Government has voted six times against legislation or amendments that would reverse cuts to penalty rates."

Bastards.

https://www.protectourpenaltyrates.org.au/

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:42pm

Penalty rates had to be reined in, they had just gotten too far away from any sane rate of pay for the type of work being done.

Time and a half is fine, and most people are happy with that, but double time and more is where it is just silly.
You want to pay some silly twat more than a trained professional to make you a coffee, or hot dog, because it is Sunday???
Need to be compensated for missing Mass??
Don't make me laugh.
It was just a stitch up the unions enforced when they got too much power and sewed the seeds of their own demise, by making unreasonable claims, and employing bully boy tactics that NOBODY respected.
Union members were embarrassed by the thugs sent to represent them.
You had to be a lazy prick with a scottish accent who'd never done a hard days work in their life to become a union rep. It got too silly, and people left in droves.

Say different, and you weren't there.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:47pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
Penalty rates had to be reined in, they had just gotten too far away from any sane rate of pay for the type of work being done.

Time and a half is fine, and most people are happy with that, but double time and more is where it is just silly.
You want to pay some silly twat more than a trained professional to make you a coffee, or hot dog, because it is Sunday???
Don't make me laugh.
It was just a stitch up the unions enforced when they got too much power and sewed the seeds of their own demise, by making unreasonable claims, and employing bully boy tactics that NOBODY respected.
You had to be a lazy prick with a scottish accent who'd never done a hard days work in their life to become a union rep. It got too silly, and people left in droves.

Penalty rates - as high as double time and a half - aren't something new.

They've been around for decades.

Workers (and Unions) aren't asking for an increase - they're just asking that the rates remain the same as they have been for many, many years.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Don't make me laugh.

What makes the service industry any less important than other industries where they arent losing penalty rates?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 4:32pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:47pm:

Don't make me laugh.

Workers (and Unions) aren't asking for an increase - they're just asking that the rates remain the same as they have been for many, many years.

Next time you go fill your car, tell the guy if it is after hours, you would like to pay 2.5 times more for your fuel. I'd like to pay $3.75 per litre as an act of solidarity wiv my union bruvvers.

Your waitress today will take your order, multiply all menu items by 250% BECAUSE SHE IS GETTING $70 DOLLARS AN HOUR TODAY. The cook is on $90, so a toasted ham and tomato sanger will be $23.50. Enjoy!

Pretending this is a question of morality is loony left snowflakes losing their shite over stoopid stuff.
Maybe you need to fing a safe place MrPig, where you can go to relax and feel less triggered.
I mean all this hate speech must be taxing.
OOpsy, shouldna said the T word, I just Triggered him again.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 4:36pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:47pm:

Don't make me laugh.

Next time you go fill your car, tell the guy if it is after hours, you would like to pay 2.5 times more for your fuel. I'd like to pay $3.75 per litre as an act of solidarity wiv my union bruvvers.

Your waitress today will take your order, multiply all menu items by 250% BECAUSE SHE IS GETTING $70 DOLLARS AN HOUR TODAY. The cook is on $90, so a toasted ham and tomato sanger will be $23.50. Enjoy!

Pretending this is a question of morality is loony left snowflakes losing their shite over stoopid stuff.
Maybe you need to fing a safe place MrPig, where you can go to relax and feel less triggered.
I mean all this hate speech must be taxing.
OOpsy, shouldna said the T word, I just Triggered him again.

The cost of penalty rates and overtime is built in to the usual price at the pump/checkout.

It always has been.

Sometimes, though, a restaurant might charge an additional fee for public holidays, and Australians have always been willing to pay that little bit extra.

I'm surprised you aren't aware of this.

And, once again, penalty rates are nothing new.

Workers and Unions aren't asking for anything extra.

Perhaps you should tackle a subject you know at least a little bit about.

It will save you a lot of embarrassment in the long run.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:09pm

Quote:
It always has been.

penalty rates are nothing new.

Mr Pig. Once again your magnanimous nature, and natural moral superiority, sure signs of the true superiority of the correct thinking progressive ultra left liberal, is being employed for the benefit of we embarrassed dolts, who lack your deeper understanding of how the world works.

My apologies must go out to you for your patient attempts to educate me as to why Penalty Rates must be considered sacrosanct, and beyond challenge, especially from neo-fascist, alt-right, demagogues, whose white male patriarchy is responsible for all evil ever done, conceived, or even considered.
In fact, the abundance of thought crimes we need to be protected from alone, is enough to have me searching out a safe space to recover my rightful condition of perpetual offense and victimhood.

To think it was all so simple, that I needed you to point out to me, the primary reason we must do things, is because they have been that way for decades.
Such clarity of thought, such ability to avoid superfluous trivialities like reason, and considered examples of how and why using random pay scale multipliers is a truism that requires no supporting argument, are more examples of the genius of Mr Pig.

Wow, so grateful you spared me the embarrassment of not realising that.

Do you have a comprehensive list of truisms, like the, Penalty Rates must never be changed or questioned, one?
I think I may know one???

Here goes, just watch those alt-right Hyenas get what's coming to 'em.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:12pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
Quote:
It always has been.

Mr Pig. Once again your magnanimous nature, and natural moral superiority, sure signs of the true superiority of the correct thinking progressive ultra left liberal, is being employed for the benefit of we embarrassed dolts, who lack your deeper understanding of how the world works.

My apologies must go out to you for your patient attempts to educate me as to why Penalty Rates must be considered sacrosanct, and beyond challenge, especially from neo-fascist, alt-right, demagogues, whose white male patriarchy is responsible for all evil ever done, conceived, or even considered.
In fact, the abundance of thought crimes we need to be protected from alone, is enough to have me searching out a safe space to recover my rightful condition of perpetual offense and victimhood.

To think it was all so simple, that I needed you to point out to me, the primary reason we must do things, is because they have been that way for decades.
Such clarity of thought, such ability to avoid superfluous trivialities like reason, and considered examples of how and why using random pay scale multipliers is a truism that requires no supporting argument, are more examples of the genius of Mr Pig.

Do you have a comprehensive list of truisms, like the, Penalty Rates must never be changed or questioned, one?

Who said "Penalty Rates must never be changed or questioned"?

I certainly didn't.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 10:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
Quote:
It always has been.

I certainly didn't.

You used not be nearly as wedded to ideology without taking the trouble to use personal thought or judgement Mr Pig. Now you just cheer for a team, in fact you are very much like a mirror image of Juliar.
I must say, I am a little concerned at why that may be, I hope you are well.
I do not want to attack you or upset you, so I will stop now.
Good luck.
I am sorry if I upset you, I think I will try to give you extra leeway, in future.ii

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 10:53pm

mozzaok wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 10:23pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:12pm:
Quote:
It always has been.

I certainly didn't.

You used not be nearly as wedded to ideology without taking the trouble to use personal thought or judgement Mr Pig. Now you just cheer for a team, in fact you are very much like a mirror image of Juliar.
I must say, I am a little concerned at why that may be, I hope you are well.
I do not want to attack you or upset you, so I will stop now.
Good luck.
I am sorry if I upset you, I think I will try to give you extra leeway, in future.

You didn't say.

IP Logged

Phill

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm

If memory serves me correctly

The independent Commission/umpire that decided to reduce penalty rates was setup by Gillard with Shorten also giving the nod as the then employment minister. If the then Labor Government could not foresee something like this decision ever occurring then Labor was, and likely still is, very short sighted.

You cant install an umpire that likely made a reasonable decision, then cry foul when you get a decision you don't like, then blame the current Prime Minister as if it's all his fault in the first place.

Labor need to own this decision and come out and say that it is their fault as "THEY" set up the Commission in the first place that has made this decision and stop blaming everyone else for their own incompetence.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 2:09pm

Phill wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm:

The independent Commission/umpire that decided to reduce penalty rates was setup by Gillard with Shorten also giving the nod as the then employment minister. If the then Labor Government could not foresee something like this decision ever occurring then Labor was, and likely still is, very short sighted.

You cant install an umpire that likely made a reasonable decision, then cry foul when you get a decision you don't like, then blame the current Prime Minister as if it's all his fault in the first place.

Labor need to own this decision and come out and say that it is their fault as "THEY" set up the Commission in the first place that has made this decision and stop blaming everyone else for their own incompetence.

That sounds reasonable.
One could even go so far as to say Fair.

I guess you don't know how things work here yet, being relatively new.

Best if you make outlandish claims based on no life experience or evidence.
Do that and you will fit right in.
(Try not to use complete sentences either, it makes the illiterate ones feel threatened.)
Slogans and Catch Phrases are however, AOK.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 2:13pm

Phill wrote on Jun 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm:

I dont give a hoot whose fault it is i just want it to stop

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print