Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Dying coal industry, not so fast there, ladies. (Read 19249 times)
Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Dying coal industry, not so fast there, ladies.
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:12pm

Secret Wars wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
GDP is a measure of activity in an economy, it can be useful but not in the hands of politicians.  By itself it makes no statement as to how useful or detrimental that activity is.

That's fair enough but dividing it by the population to get a per capita statistic is meaningless.

It tells you nothing about the population.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:54pm

Per capita CO2 emissions are meaningless. Small countries, population wise, emit more CO2. Large countries, by land mass, emit more CO2.

Australia, having a small population and large landmass, is doubly hit.

Per capita emissions do not take into account any sources or sinks of CO2. Australia is a net sink of CO2.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Ajax wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:12pm:
Secret Wars wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
GDP is a measure of activity in an economy, it can be useful but not in the hands of politicians.  By itself it makes no statement as to how useful or detrimental that activity is.

That's fair enough but dividing it by the population to get a per capita statistic is meaningless.

It tells you nothing about the population.

It tells you how much money they make, per person. In what fantasy world is that meaningless?

Would you rather live in a country with a $100billion GDP and a $10 per capita GDP, or a country with with a $1billion GDP and a $100000 per capita GDP?

Quote:
Small countries, population wise, emit more CO2.

Crap.

Quote:
Large countries, by land mass, emit more CO2.

Crap.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:32pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

Smaller populations still need power. You think that that power is emission free? That larger power stations do not have an efficiency advantage over smaller power stations?

Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

So you think having to provide infrastructure over a large land mass is as energy efficient as providing infrastructure over a smaller land mass?

Perhaps you might like to expand your position.

Because it looks like CRAP.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:41pm

Quote:
This article examines what role natural factors play in explaining cross-country differences in carbon dioxide emissions. Natural factors mean here differences in the climatic conditions, the availability of renewable and fossil fuel resources and the transportation requirements of countries. While income remains the main variable, regression results show that natural factors contribute significantly to an explanation of cross-country differences in carbon dioxide emissions. Furthermore, drastic differences in natural conditions can lead to substantial differences in predicted emission requirements for individual countries at approximately the same level of income.

Quote:
We would expect big countries with higher transportation requirements to have higher emissions than small countries. Similarly, we would expect countries that have access to domestic renewable energy resources to have lower emissions than countries that lack such resources. Finally, countries without major fossil fuel reserves should have lower CO2 emissions than countries that are rich in such reserves.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.545.8707&rep=rep1&type=...

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:36pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
Valkie wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:26pm:
It has to last just a couple more years.

Then I retire and I couldn't give a rats posterior.

Yeah Im coming off LNG and heading back to mining very soon. 10 more years and Im done too.

I do sympathise that you rely on an industry of the past that the developed world is slowly moving away from, slowly.

IT, while not being moved away from is a sector that is facing offshoring all the time.  We've been through a great culling and with automation increasing, it's getting harder and harder to make a dollar even if local businesses want to deal with locals rather than Indian or Philippino call centres.

It has to be hard if all you've ever done is enjoy great pay while working in the mining industry and never branched out into another trade when the writing was on the wall.

But things change.

Upon reading that back it comes off very crass.  I've had a 6 month stint of IT work for some mines in Queensland, so I don't want to make it sound like it's easy work for those out there, for easy and large pay.

That said, I hated my work there.  My role was to handle the infrastructure to support the drone and driverless truck pilot.  I'm glad the tech in the pilot failed.  Our infrastructure was great, but I had become friends with a lot of the guys whose jobs would have been lost to automation if the pilot was more successful.

I've never been happier to be a part of something that failed.

For now the world still needs coal.  Will that change in the 10 years you have left?  Unlikely, but the world will rely less and less on it, especially as alternative energy sources become cheaper and energy transmission and storage more efficient.

You can't deny that the future is not coal.

I feel the most for the young fellas who've fought their way into the industry given the current decline and the competition for those who are attracted to the pay and don't have the family burdens that make FIFO so hard.

If they're not diversifying now they're going to in a world of pain in the not too distant future.

Rather than filling the airwaves with false hope, you should be advocating for of course a continuation of your own needs, but help others understand that it won't be long before it's an industry of the past and by no means a sure thing.  They shouldn't put their eggs in that basket.

And with an industry like coal, there are global implications and pressures to consider too, not that I expect you to care or even acknowledge climate change.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:49pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
And with an industry like coal, there are global implications and pressures to consider too, not that I expect you to care or even acknowledge climate change.

So just how much has climate changed due to the magic molecule, CO2?

Seems like more rainfall. Suggests less drought.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm

Yeah Im coming off LNG and heading back to mining very soon. 10 more years and Im done too.

I'm 65 in 3 years ... I hope I'm able to get out then ... if I live that long or the idiots I work for haven't destroyed the business.

If I was looking at another 10 years I'd have to consider a do it yourself funeral kit ......

it's the one where you just wet the ground & you sink in by yourself.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 6:43pm

lee wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

Smaller populations still need power. You think that that power is emission free? That larger power stations do not have an efficiency advantage over smaller power stations?

Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

So you think having to provide infrastructure over a large land mass is as energy efficient as providing infrastructure over a smaller land mass?

That's how it works eh? You pull some absolute crap out of your arse. I call it for what it is. But I need to provide the evidence?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 6:51pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
lee wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:32pm:
Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

Quote:

Crap.

Reference?

That's how it works eh? You pull some absolute crap out of your arse. I call it for what it is. But I need to provide the evidence?

Yes ... why not? ... that's what you & everyone else does.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 7:13pm

Perhaps you missed the follow up post? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Or don't you consider scientific papers as proof?
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2018 at 7:19pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #26 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 7:54pm

Gnads wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 6:20pm:

I'm 65 in 3 years ... I hope I'm able to get out then ... if I live that long or the idiots I work for haven't destroyed the business.

If I was looking at another 10 years I'd have to consider a do it yourself funeral kit ......

it's the one where you just wet the ground & you sink in by yourself.

Yea, I'm 60 and I'm not waiting until the grubberment tells me I can retire.
I have everything I need and my super will give me a comfortable, but not quite lavish lifestyle.
I should be able to manage one trip overseas a year, but that's about all.

I keep telling my family that I'm having a state funeral.
I tell them to just leave my body in the hospital and the grubberment will give me a papers grave.
who cares, I'll be dead.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 8:22pm

lee wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 7:13pm:

Perhaps you missed the follow up post? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Or don't you consider scientific papers as proof?

It says they "expect". That is not evidence.

Do we need more GHG emissions than the Danish because we get mangoes from Cairns and mandarins from South America, while they have to eat cabbage, rollmops and whatever else can be grown in their borders?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 8:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 8:22pm:
Do we need more GHG emissions than the Danish because we get mangoes from Cairns and mandarins from South America, while they have to eat cabbage, rollmops and whatever else can be grown in their borders?

Do those people who don't live in Sydney and Melbourne deserve food manufactured in the Southern States? Most food is manufactured in the South-East. You know like in Darwin? Should they be entitled to everyday groceries?

Should those people not on the eastern seaboard go without power, because most is generated there and it costs to reticulate it? Or should they be allowed to generate their own power, at reduced efficiency?

So let's compare Germany and Australia.

Size - Germany - ~357k Sq Km  Australia - ~7,692k Sq Km So Australia about 21 times larger

Population - Germany ~82.2Million Australia ~24.7Million So Australia has about 30% of the population.

One would assume seeing that Germany has a higher population density ratio the cost of  transport of goods would be far less. The cost of reticulation of power would be much less.

That would translate to higher energy expenditure; and higher CO2 emissions.

What would you "expect"?

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #29 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 9:28pm

lee wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:49pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:36pm:

So just how much has climate changed due to the magic molecule, CO2?

http://www.bom.gov.au/tmp/cc/rranom.aus.0112.32630.png

Seems like more rainfall. Suggests less drought.

I appreciate your interest in the issue, but I'm not going to bother with a zealot who judges the legitimacy of information based on if it supports their opinion or not.

I won't waste either of our time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print