Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Judge orders Trump be deposed under oath (Read 4540 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Re: Judge orders Trump be deposed under oath
Reply #45 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:57pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
How do you or I or anyone else know what would happen if Trump refused an order from the courts? Even scumbag presidents in the past have managed to obey the courts.

But, you seem to think that he is both entitled to and should disobey the courts and the law and the constitution and perhaps the right to life of anyone who opposes him.

You are a maggot who 'claims extensive knowledge of US law (falsely), but with zero actual respect for it.

That's incorrect.......

If I ever said anything about whether a President, this President, should disobey a court order, it would have been that he could disobey a court order, & if he did, it would bring up a "Constitutional Crisis", treading in uncharted waters, because no one could enforce the order upon the President. The only recourse a court would have is it would have to rest & set aside it's own order, rather than force a "Constitutional Crisis".

They would need to defer to the Congress, & the Constitution, to resolve the Crisis (Impeachment & possible/potential removal), & if Congress can't come to a definitive resolution, then the Crisis could be over for the moment, but could be revisited by another Congress, at any time in the future.

There would be a standoff, but as in most standoffs, the resolution of hostilities could arise again at any time.

See LW......that wasn't very hard, was it.......but intelligence has never been one of your strong suits!!
  Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:08pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:19pm

As Panther has stated plenty of times, Longy, Mr Trump can break as many laws as he likes. This is his right under the constitution.

Neither you, the FAKE news, the Supreme Court or anyone else is entitled to chastise him for this. He's the president. He can break as many laws as he likes.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #47 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:32pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
As Panther has stated plenty of times, Longy, Mr Trump can break as many laws as he likes. This is his right under the constitution.

Neither you, the FAKE news, the Supreme Court or anyone else is entitled to chastise him for this. He's the president. He can break as many laws as he likes.

Pretty much so while he sits in the Oval Office, but when he leaves that office of the President......when he becomes the ex-President, whether that be at the end of his terms, or through impeachment, & removal.....when he leaves the Office of the Presidency, he becomes an ordinary citizen, & he must face the music if they chose to prosecute him.
Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:35pm

Panther wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:32pm:

Pretty much so while he sits in the Oval Office, but when he leaves that office of the President......when he becomes the ex-President, whether that be at the end of his terms, or through impeachment, & removal.....when he leaves the Office of the Presidency, he becomes an ordinary citizen, & he must face the music if they chose to prosecute him.
Wink

Unlike Hillary. Mr Trump can put her in jail anytime he wants.

LOCK HER UP.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #49 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:35pm:

Wink

LOCK HER UP.

No he can't do that personally, but he could order the full force of the entire Justice Department to bring all cannons to bear, & find what they needed to successfully prosecute her, & then do it.....find her guilty in court, & put her in jail.
  Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:52pm

Panther wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Wink

LOCK HER UP.

No he can't do that personally, but he could order the full force of the entire Justice Department to bring all cannons to bear, & find what they needed to successfully prosecute her, & then do it.....find her guilty in court, & put her in jail.
  Wink

He could order her to be wire tapped. He could order his attorney general to sue the Clinton Foundation. He could order her campaign manager to be stitched up and put in jail.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #51 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 7:50am

It's funny (funny?) how we've gone from "Lock her up" meaning criminal activity and lying is bad, to "Oh Trump can't break the law while President".

I thought criminal activity and lying were bad things and made one unfit for the oval office?

Yet those who attacked Clinton now support Trump when he's doing the same.

I can't help but not take a thing these people say seriously as it's like all coming from a place of extreme bias and partisanship.

"I stand by my morals and my beliefs only when it suits me"

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:00pm

Panther wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Wink

LOCK HER UP.

Wink

They've already done that - SEVEN TIMES and failed. If trump were to order another one, Hillary has the opportunity to sue the DoJ and Trump for malicious prosecution - an actual crime. it would be hard to see how that could possibly fail since the actions against her has been demonstrably malicious.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #53 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:15pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 7:50am:
It's funny (funny?) how we've gone from "Lock her up" meaning criminal activity and lying is bad, to "Oh Trump can't break the law while President".

I thought criminal activity and lying were bad things and made one unfit for the oval office?

I can't help but not take a thing these people say seriously as it's like all coming from a place of extreme bias and partisanship.

Yes he can break the law while he's in office, & so could any President before him, as some have.

It's just how that law breaking activities of a US President can be remedied.

While he is in office, while any President is in office......key words/phrase  "While he is in office....." ...... while in office the Constitution is the only remedy.....the only remedy is that Constitutionally, Congress can Impeach him, & then after he is Impeached, he can be tried by the Senate on the charges he was Impeached with, & then, if found guilty by 67 or more Senators of the 100 Senators in the Senate, he may be (not mandatory..the Senate can chose other punishments) he may be removed from office.

There you have it......he can serve his full term(s)..........he can retire/step down/quit........or he may be forced out of office after being found guilty of "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors". The crime of treason is the only crime defined specifically in the US Constitution. To find him guilty of Treason he must be found guilty as defined in the US Constitution.....no other definitions are acceptable.

Now, if a President is Impeached, that doesn't mean he automatically gets removed from office....far from it.....Two (2) US Presidents were Impeached, yet they remained in office & continued to perform their duties as President of the United States....Andrew Johnson & Bill "Slick Willie" Clinton.

The US Senate must find him guilty on the charges contained in his impeachment by a majority of 67 Senators of the 100 Senators that comprise the Senate. Even that does not automatically cause removal from office. The Senate has the right to sentence a guilty President in just about any manner they wish.....they could fine him, they could, at the end of his term(s), forbid him for life from holding any other office in the federal government, etc....etc....etc.

Also, rarely covered, but the guilty President may be able to appeal his conviction all the way to the Supreme Court.......but being no Presidents have ever been found guilty by the Senate, or thrown out of office in over 230+ years, there are no precedents to fall back on.......

So back to the original statement......Presidents can commit crimes like you or I can commit crimes.....we all have the freedom of choice.......but a US President must leave office before he can be criminally charged, tried, &/or convicted of any crime by a court of law.....after he leaves office he is fair game to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:30pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #54 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:29pm

Panther wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:15pm:

Yes he can break the law while he's in office, & so could any President before him, as some have.

While he is in office, while any President is in office......key words/phrase  "While he is in office....." ...... while in office the Constitution is the only remedy.....the only remedy is that Constitutionally, Congress can Impeach him, & then after he is Impeached, he can be tried by the Senate on the charges he was Impeached with, & then, if found guilty by 67 or more Senators of the 100 Senators in the Senate, he may be (not mandatory..the Senate can chose other punishments) he may be removed from office.

There you have it......he can serve his full term(s)..........he can retire/step down/quit........or he may be forced out of office after being found guilty of "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors". The crime of treason is the only crime defined specifically in the US Constitution. To find him guilty of Treason he must be found guilty as defined in the US Constitution.....no other definitions are acceptable.

Now, if a President is Impeached, that doesn't mean he automatically gets removed from office....far from it.....Two (2) US Presidents were Impeached, yet they remained in office & continued to perform their duties as President of the United States....Andrew Johnson & Bill "Slick Willie" Clinton.

The US Senate must find him guilty on the charges contained in his impeachment by a majority of 67 Senators of the 100 Senators that comprise the Senate. Even that does not automatically cause removal from office. The Senate has the right to sentence a guilty President in just about any manner they wish.....they could fine him, they could, at the end of his term(s), forbid him for life from holding any other office in the federal government, etc....etc....etc.

Also, rarely covered, but the guilty President may be able to appeal his conviction all the way to the Supreme Court.......but being no Presidents have ever been found guilty by the Senate, or thrown out of office in over 230+ years, there are no precedents to fall back on.......

So back to the original statement......Presidents can commit crimes like you or I can commit crimes.....we all have the freedom of choice.......but a US President must leave office before he can be criminally charged, tried, &/or convicted of any crime by a court of law.....after he leaves office he is fair game to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Wink

It was his supporters I was talking about not the ability or otherwise for the President to commit a crime. 

They cared about Clinton committing crimes and lying, but now make excused for Trump, the latest being that "Oh Trump can't break the law while President" so anyone critical of what would be a criminal act for anyone else when Trump does it it's not a crime so stop complaining, etc.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 9:38am

it is amazing how Trumptards now reject the entire notion of Trump obeying the law. Obviously, this shows that they know Trump is guilty of crimes.

Took them long enough...

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #56 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 3:04pm

But they still don't care...

How they think they will get what Trump promised them without holding him to account is beyond me.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #57 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:00pm

If you don't like the American Legal System, or appreciate the value of the American Constitution, I can see your dislike for my post, but like it or not, if you want to overthrow the duly elected American President, then this is the System you have to deal with.......you have no option.......it wont go away for your convenience, now or anywhere in the near future.........at least.....

Panther wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:15pm:
......"Oh Trump can't break the law while President"..........

Those are the only Anti-Trump options available to the Trump Haters in America......

Here, you Trump Haters here in Australia, here in OZPOLITIC especially, have ZERO options............well..........no options whatsoever, except to sit patiently, & watch America administer it's own laws as it sees fit..... Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:04pm

Panther wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
How do you or I or anyone else know what would happen if Trump refused an order from the courts? Even scumbag presidents in the past have managed to obey the courts.

But, you seem to think that he is both entitled to and should disobey the courts and the law and the constitution and perhaps the right to life of anyone who opposes him.

You are a maggot who 'claims extensive knowledge of US law (falsely), but with zero actual respect for it.

That's incorrect.......

If I ever said anything about whether a President, this President, should disobey a court order, it would have been that he could disobey a court order, & if he did, it would bring up a "Constitutional Crisis", treading in uncharted waters, because no one could enforce the order upon the President. The only recourse a court would have is it would have to rest & set aside it's own order, rather than force a "Constitutional Crisis".

They would need to defer to the Congress, & the Constitution, to resolve the Crisis (Impeachment & possible/potential removal), & if Congress can't come to a definitive resolution, then the Crisis could be over for the moment, but could be revisited by another Congress, at any time in the future.

There would be a standoff, but as in most standoffs, the resolution of hostilities could arise again at any time.

See LW......that wasn't very hard, was it.......but intelligence has never been one of your strong suits!!
  Wink

you seem to think that Trump can simply ignore all orders from the courts. You dont think Congress would impeach him immediately on the basis of public pressure since their moral integrity has already evaporated?

I presume you approve of Putin and other dictators.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #59 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:44pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
Panther wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 6:57pm:

That's incorrect.......

Wink

you seem to think that Trump can simply ignore all orders from the courts. You dont think Congress would impeach him immediately on the basis of public pressure since their moral integrity has already evaporated?

I presume you approve of Putin and other dictators.

President Trump can ignore any & all orders he wishes, that's part of the Freedom of Choice, but what goes with the Freedom of Choice are the repercussions of those Choices. I never said he was "immune" to Legal Repercussions......that's something he has to bear.

How, & when these Repercussions take place, that's dependent on Law, & all Law in America must comply with the US Constitution, as defined by Supreme Court decisions & precedent.

Now IMHO, if President Trump foolishly agrees to be deposed under oath, then he runs the risk of putting himself in the unnecessary jeopardy of falling into a "perjury trap", regardless of how honestly he answers the questions put to him. IMHO answering questions in writing, if he is to answer at all, would be what I would suggest, & a better course of action......if he feels he must submit himself to questioning at all. Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print