Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm going to throttle the cat (Read 6323 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

I'm going to throttle the cat
Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:00am

I came home from shopping early this morning and saw Ruffy the cat with something grey and white in his mouth. The second he locked eyes with me - he ran under the house. He wouldn't have done that if it was a rat. A few minutes later I heard flapping and this poor little turtle dove had escaped from his claws and hidden in a bush.

It's in a box now recovering. There are a lot of feathers missing, so I'm not sure if it will survive, although when I checked on it an hour later - it flew out of the box and smashed into a wall. The stress kills birds before the physical damage does.

I've spent 3 years teaching the cat the difference between birds and rats. He gets approval when he catches a rat - even though I hate the torture they suffer, but he gets punished when he catches a bird. It's been more than a year since he's caught one.

The bigger the rat - the quicker it's killed so I know they don't suffer for long, but he should know by now that birds are taboo. They are weak - so they're tortured for hours before the final crunch comes.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: I'm going to throttle the cat
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 12:39pm

you cant breed out instinct Mantra- my 2 kitties sit looking out the door at every exciting feathery movement and tweet- they have never been outside cats so it just instinct to want to have a go- put Ruffy in therapy

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:00pm

Don't hurt the pussy.    Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:24pm

cats  are self sufficient- unlike a clueless dog- we cant blame them for acting on thier instincts- and they have a right to be here as it is  with any other animal -  it seems they upset you so much Mantra- but thats life- some things we will always have to accept as part of life- other wise you will be upset forever-

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:39pm

I've always been lumped with people's unwanted cats AG, but the only thing I really hate about them is their torture of small animals. I will never get used to that.

Regardless of how well fed they are - cats still can't resist pouncing on some defenseless creature - not to eat most of the time, but just to play with.

Bobby. wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:00pm:

He will be punished. Instead of getting 4 meals a day - he's only getting 3 a day for the next week - and no biscuits.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:44pm

mantra wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:39pm:
I've always been lumped with people's unwanted cats AG, but the only thing I really hate about them is their torture of small animals. I will never get used to that.

Regardless of how well fed they are - cats still can't resist pouncing on some defenseless creature - not to eat most of the time, but just to play with.

He will be punished. Instead of getting 4 meals a day - he's only getting 3 a day for the next week - and no biscuits.

No biscuits for the pussy - you can't do that.     Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:52pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:44pm:
mantra wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:39pm:

No biscuits for the pussy - you can't do that.     Cry Cry Cry Cry

and if you make him go hungry Mantra- he might go get another bird-

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:53pm

He loves his biscuits so I'm attaching some turtle dove feathers to the packet. When he starts to whine for some - then I'll tell him he's naughty - over and over again until he gets it into his head that he can't touch anything with feathers.

I think it's called habit reversal therapy.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:06pm

mantra wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:53pm:
He loves his biscuits so I'm attaching some turtle dove feathers to the packet. When he starts to whine for some - then I'll tell him he's naughty - over and over again until he gets it into his head that he can't touch anything with feathers.

I think it's called habit reversal therapy.

excellent idea-

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:32pm

it is very normal or natural thing for a cat to do....sadly...

however have you tried a bell collar?.....

not sure desexing changes anything but it is something I have always had done to my animals....

also as they get older  like me they get less active....

it is something mother nature must have thought was useful...I know my cat had brought home so many rodents  which I cannot stand.. but all the same I am grateful there are less of them with her around...

some wish all cats were exterminated    but then the thought of being over run with rodents  sends me spinnings...

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:50pm

cods wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 4:32pm:
it is very normal or natural thing for a cat to do....sadly...

however have you tried a bell collar?.....

not sure desexing changes anything but it is something I have always had done to my animals....

also as they get older  like me they get less active....

it is something mother nature must have thought was useful...I know my cat had brought home so many rodents  which I cannot stand.. but all the same I am grateful there are less of them with her around...

some wish all cats were exterminated    but then the thought of being over run with rodents  sends me spinnings...

Without cats around we would have billions of rats & mice
that would eventually wipe us out from disease &
hunger because they would eat all our food.

Human civilisation could not have advanced without cats.
It's a symbiotic relationship that we need.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:04pm

there is always a price to pay bobs....

and when it comes to killing!!!!!  humans I believe have the record... Sad

when they talk about native animal  habitat look what we do to that... we start fires that wipe out whole forests over night....we poison the ocean..... we bring animals from other countries that breed like wildfire and poison everything in their path...yes including wild life....

so many mistakes   but if we can pass the buck to a cat as being the worst!!!!!!!!   we do that also.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:30pm

cods wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:04pm:

when they talk about native animal  habitat look what we do to that... we start fires that wipe out whole forests over night....we poison the ocean..... we bring animals from other countries that breed like wildfire and poison everything in their path...yes including wild life....

so many mistakes   but if we can pass the buck to a cat as being the worst!!!!!!!!   we do that also.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

But my point is valid - we just wouldn't be here without cats -

none of us would be here.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:40pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:30pm:
cods wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:04pm:

But my point is valid - we just wouldn't be here without cats -

none of us would be here.

not sure how you can say that bobs....how long have cats been amongst us??.....do we know?....

I am one of these who believes everything has a place on this planet......we humans of course the chosen ones with more intelligence  [ Roll Eyes]  have not utilised half of what is available to us.....

we have much learning to do...and as these animals can see in the dark..can sense things we cannot..

yes .. we have much to learn.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:48pm

How many cats or rats or mice were in Australia before 1770?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print