Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs... (Read 15388 times)
Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs...
Reply #45 - May 30th, 2018 at 5:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Yup - in that clearly marked lane on the side.... not down the middle to 'stand on their rights' etc.  Anyone that stupid deserves to be hit.

Do you have any videos available of these events, because it seems like something extremely rare, that I've never noticed before.  Are you sure you're not exaggerating just a smidgeon?

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #46 - May 30th, 2018 at 5:38pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 5:34pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Yup - in that clearly marked lane on the side.... not down the middle to 'stand on their rights' etc.  Anyone that stupid deserves to be hit.

Do you have any videos available of these events, because it seems like something extremely rare, that I've never noticed before.  Are you sure you're not exaggerating just a smidgeon?

I've seen it myself...and it's been on the news, followed by assaults on motorists by bike riders...

Though it may be a minor offence against reason and decency, as well as being abysmally stupid and self-entitled - it does happen.

You don't read too well, do you?  Only what you choose to see......

Exactly the style that Mr Peccary was complaining about in the bike community - an incredible sense of self-entitlement and right to abuse others.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - May 30th, 2018 at 6:02pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 5:38pm:
I've seen it myself...and it's been on the news, followed by assaults on motorists by bike riders...

Though it may be a minor offence against reason and decency, as well as being abysmally stupid and self-entitled - it does happen.

I'm really sad to read that you have had bad examples, Ya.  This is the reason why today's enlightened cyclists actively enourage other cyclists to be considerate of pedestrians like they would have car drivers be considerate of us, and try to set a good example of responsible cycling in the city.

One example which might be helpful to you in getting over your resentment of ALL cyclists is me.  Do you know what I have made a point of remembering to do now because of the great improvement in the way that almost all Perth cars now give me sufficient room when they drive past so as not to make my heart beat faster than it already is?

Apart from just trying to engage other road users in a friendly and considerate manner, I make a point of not stopping at the red light at the front on the green strip across the road where the government expectx cycllsts to stop now: in front of the cars.

Oh no, no me now because I want to share the mutual harmony with my friends now, and so I filter down the lanes like usual, but when I get to the back of the very first car at the lights, I wait behind them rather than filtering forward to get in front of them.  I think that is one way to piss off the car driver at the front, and I can see a point in such offence. 

It is much the same as pulling up at the side of their front window because they can't see oncoming traffic through the cyclist, so I don't do that either.  I just stop at around their back wheel, and then I can tuck in behind them for a bit when the light goes green and we all get there a little faster as well as much friendlier and happier.

This is the change that is happening in Perth right now, and it is great progress after all the road rage that was going on for the last decade.

I can read okay, but some things sometimes seem more relevant than others.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 30th, 2018 at 6:20pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 6:02pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 5:38pm:

I'm really sad to read that you have had bad examples, Ya.  This is the reason why today's enlightened cyclists actively enourage other cyclists to be considerate of pedestrians like they would have car drivers be considerate of us, and try to set a good example of responsible cycling in the city.

One example which might be helpful to you in getting over your resentment of ALL cyclists is me.  Do you know what I have made a point of remembering to do now because of the great improvement in the way that almost all Perth cars now give me sufficient room when they drive past so as not to make my heart beat faster than it already is?

Apart from just trying to engage other road users in a friendly and considerate manner, I make a point of not stopping at the red light at the front on the green strip across the road where the government expectx cycllsts to stop now: in front of the cars.

Oh no, no me now because I want to share the mutual harmony with my friends now, and so I filter down the lanes like usual, but when I get to the back of the very first car at the lights, I wait behind them rather than filtering forward to get in front of them.  I think that is one way to piss off the car driver at the front, and I can see a point in such offence. 

It is much the same as pulling up at the side of their front window because they can't see oncoming traffic through the cyclist, so I don't do that either.  I just stop at around their back wheel, and then I can tuck in behind them for a bit when the light goes green and we all get there a little faster as well as much friendlier and happier.

This is the change that is happening in Perth right now, and it is great progress after all the road rage that was going on for the last decade.

I can read okay, but some things sometimes seem more relevant than others.

I find it hard to imagine that motorists are not considerate of pedestrians... though I'm sure there are incidents of 'road rage' over pedestrians doing stupid things.  Again I've seen it myself - traveling down Pitt Street in Sydney on a wet road to see a shoal of pedestrians break from a footpath against the red light and force me to brake, and skid a little.. some then abused me for frightening them by braking.  Not much you can tell me about cyclists in Sydney Metro area... I think I've seen it all.

What 'resentment of all cyclists'?  You really haven't read what I've been posting, have you?  I treat them with respect and courtesy - I simply expect the same.  that's twice I've said that, and I've given examples of how I am very conscientious about moving as far away from them as possible while overtaking.

Good to see you are trying to do the right thing.... but the sense of entitlement is showing.  Making a point is not worth losing your life.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 30th, 2018 at 6:34pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 6:20pm:
What 'resentment of all cyclists'?  You really haven't read what I've been posting, have you?  I treat them with respect and courtesy - I simply expect the same.  that's twice I've said that, and I've given examples of how I am very conscientious about moving as far away from them as possible while overtaking.

Good to see you are trying to do the right thing.... but the sense of entitlement is showing.  Making a point is not worth losing your life.

Oh dear.  Have I mixed you up with someone else in this thread?  Were you one of my new friends who wrote something about cyclists clowning around in the middle of the road and giving us all a bad name?

I am sorry if I misread someone else's anger at cyclists, that being ALL cyclists, of which I am one, and why I felt obliged to correct the record.  Also hooligans are everywhere but they're mostly in the minority if we exclude certain ball games.  They come in cars and bikes.  That was why I meant to illustrate that there are some cyclists around who want to make the roads work best for all of us, including the cars.  There is a change in progress since 2017 and I can feel it now when I ride.  It's great, mate.  Let's not upset the balance right now.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:04pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 6:34pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 6:20pm:

Oh dear.  Have I mixed you up with someone else in this thread?  Were you one of my new friends who wrote something about cyclists clowning around in the middle of the road and giving us all a bad name?

I am sorry if I misread someone else's anger at cyclists, that being ALL cyclists, of which I am one, and why I felt obliged to correct the record.  Also hooligans are everywhere but they're mostly in the minority if we exclude certain ball games.  They come in cars and bikes.  That was why I meant to illustrate that there are some cyclists around who want to make the roads work best for all of us, including the cars.  There is a change in progress since 2017 and I can feel it now when I ride.  It's great, mate.  Let's not upset the balance right now.

Possibly... I've done that myself once or twice...

Yes - it would be much better if everyone on the roads just abided by the rules.

You should see my statement over being tail-gated and such by two small trucks yesterday - for slowing down to 100kph in front of them in a 100 zone.  It was double lane freeway and all they had to do if they wanted to go faster than 100 was go around - but no - they picked on the wrong guy.  If I'd been alone and not with four ladies on board.....  Unfortunately for them, my passengers got their numbers and a video.  I'm waiting on a response from the business owner before contacting police, but if I don't hear by tomorrow morning, I'm off to the local constabulary.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2018 at 7:14pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:08pm

How can you overtake another cyclist if there is a single file rule?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:15pm

freediver wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
How can you overtake another cyclist if there is a single file rule?

Who said anything about one bicycle overtaking another?  That's legit... like everyone else you overtake and then move back to the left.

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:18pm

What if it takes you five minutes to overtake?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:24pm

freediver wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
What if it takes you five minutes to overtake?

You die...... sometimes you get trucks doing that - overtaking in the 110 zone when they can't keep up with cars, and then hitting a hill and being unable to get past the other truck... road blocked.

I've seen a three lane uphill with three trucks side by side, each one further to the right trying to beat the others up the hill..... stuff the traffic and cars.... some countries have a rule that trucks etcmay only use the left lane(s).

Picture seven lycra wearers, each stoking his ego and thinking he can get past the others...... and all at the same time....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:26pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:04pm:
You should see my statement over being tail-gated and such by two small trucks yesterday - for slowing down to 100kph in front of them in a 100 zone.  It was double lane freeway and all they had to do if they wanted to go faster than 100 was go around - but no - they picked on the wrong guy. 

That is brilliant!  That is so much like what a lone cyclist feels like in a typically narrow left lane when there's barely enough room for two cars to pass side-by-side, but they do anyway. 

That is the main adjustment to people's driving styles that the new passing laws in WA have made.  When I see two cars, side-by-side coming up behind me in the mirror, (like the 2 small trucks you mention), now the normal process is that the one in the left lane behind me hops in behind the one on the right, at least straddling the lane marker, so they are sure to give me that metre gap which is such a less frightening event than having two cars try to squeeze past together with a few inches between our mirrors. 

I hope the boss of that business can give the drivers some gentle advice so they don't get upset and seek vengeance on you, Ya.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:26pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:04pm:
You should see my statement over being tail-gated and such by two small trucks yesterday - for slowing down to 100kph in front of them in a 100 zone.  It was double lane freeway and all they had to do if they wanted to go faster than 100 was go around - but no - they picked on the wrong guy. 

That is brilliant!  That is so much like what a lone cyclist feels like in a typically narrow left lane when there's barely enough room for two cars to pass side-by-side, but they do anyway. 

That is the main adjustment to people's driving styles that the new passing laws in WA have made.  When I see two cars, side-by-side coming up behind me in the mirror, (like the 2 small trucks you mention), now the normal process is that the one in the left lane behind me hops in behind the one on the right, at least straddling the lane marker, so they are sure to give me that metre gap which is such a less frightening event than having two cars try to squeeze past together with a few inches between our mirrors. 

I hope the boss of that business can give the drivers some gentle advice so they don't get upset and seek vengeance on you, Ya.   

In that case I slow down and wait until the road is clear enough for me to go around the cycle with a wide berth.  as I said - some of the roads around here are very narrow, some of them are major roads, too, and long overdue for upgrading.  Trouble is it's part council and part national parks.... both wait for the other to do some work, and for the Fed to offer money, so they dawdle until the government is forced to fund it lavishly.

It's a tourist destination and The Lakes Way is terrifying for people who don't know it - twisty, hilly, and narrow in places, along with patches of broken down surface and some low-lying damp spots that break up and distort all the time.

Check this bit:-

I know the road well, so I'm fine, but  visitors find it terrifying, especially those with caravans and big campers.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:34pm

If those guys are that dumb, they'll really be in trouble.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 30th, 2018 at 7:48pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 7:33pm:
I know the road well, so I'm fine, but visitors find it terrifying, especially those with caravans and big campers.

I see that (90) sign at the apex.  A good example of why it is often advisable to to start long journeys early in the morning and find a nightly destination in the afternoon when there is still good daylight.  That road would be a lot more frightening on a dark night if I'd never driven it before and wasn't prepared, caravan or not.

About time for me to say thanks for the friendly chat and sorry if I argued with you when I shouldn't have, and then didn't take the first hint.  Have a good night, Mr Grappler.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - May 30th, 2018 at 8:21pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 4:22pm:

That looks like Karen Pini, and Paul Hogan's stunt man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print