Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Send Topic Print
Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs... (Read 15383 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs...
Reply #150 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:38pm

freediver wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 6:16pm:
Valkie what sort of image normally pops into your head when you hear the word thug? A fat old man in lycra pants?

Thuggery is as thuggery does, as they say down in Green Bow... when a sweet looking lady (with or without a Dutch accent) tries to change your point of view by beating you about the head and demanding... that's thuggery... even if their ad lib lines are well rehearsed, your heart will still cry out for truth...

When a government imposes via the legislative process a 'law' or allows a regulation that is abusive and contravenes Law Itself... that is thuggery....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:25am

Valkie wrote on Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

d.

So
If I picture a thug, I guess I see a COWARD who uses means other than skill to intimidate or threaten people.

You mean like people with knives? I agree. Only a coward would use a weapon to try and intimidate someone.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #152 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:03pm

I agree with Valkie.  Number plates for bikes must become mandatory.  And, imo, bike riders/owners should also pay rego, insurance, the whole deal.  Only when government becomes realistic and introduces these will bike riders be able to legally claim their right to ride amongst traffic

and only when bike riders/owners are as easily identifiable as motorised vehicle owners/drivers will they grasp their need to ride responsibly and considerately

Currently, any malcontent bike rider is free to put up a highly edited video on YouTube, presenting themselves as an innocent victim

Only when bike riders/owners are fully identifiable via rego plates will the constant presence of dash cam footage force them to quit their chip on shoulder behaviours

Rego plates and penalties for contravening road rules will reduce the number of 'incidents' overnight.  So why hasn't government introduced such measures years ago?

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #153 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:13pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
I agree with Valkie.  Number plates for bikes must become mandatory.  And, imo, bike riders/owners should also pay rego, insurance, the whole deal.  Only when government becomes realistic and introduces these will bike riders be able to legally claim their right to ride amongst traffic

1. I do pay rego for my car.
2. I pay insurance for my bike.
3. What would be a fair rego for my bike? GVM? because compared to a car, I'd be paying 4 dollars for my bike.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #154 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Quote:
I agree with Valkie.  Number plates for bikes must become mandatory.  And, imo, bike riders/owners should also pay rego, insurance, the whole deal.

The cost of the paperwork would be an order of magnitude higher than what you can get a new bike for. This is nanny state gone crazy.

Don't you think it's a bit of a hysterical over-reaction to call them thugs?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #155 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:13pm:

3. What would be a fair rego for my bike? GVM? because compared to a car, I'd be paying 4 dollars for my bike.

Rego plates must be introduced for bikes.  They need to be identifiable to other road users and as legally recognised evidence, imo

Compared to what an injured bike rider would cost in repair and rehab, I believe bike rego should be whatever a bike rider believes his medical costs would be were he to be scraped up still alive but basically mush, from the road and from vehicles body-work

How much value do you place on your life?  Seeing as a bike rider places his life and injury in the hands of motorised vehicle drivers, how much do you believe it would cost to put you back together to the point you could work and walk?

Do you have enough insurace to get you through old age should you become injured whilst riding?  That's a problem for you to consider, firstly.  But it's also something which will effect other road users.  You lying encased in steel and plaster in a hospital bed for twelve or more months, or again filling a bed while you languish in coma for several years, impacts everyone, not least of all being police and emergency services, workers forced to be late for work while your bits are scraped up

So the issue needs to be brought into line with other road users and road accidents, disputes, etc.  Get bike riders registered and identifiable.  That way, dash cams will speed up the formal dispute process.  And bike riders, once they realise they're identifiable, will have that fact uppermost in their minds as they share the road with others

Considering the road accidents and disputes generated by bike riders, I believe bike-rego should be substantial and should exceed rego costs for motorised vehicles

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #156 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:40pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm:

Rego plates must be introduced for bikes.  They need to be identifiable to other road users and as legally recognised evidence, imo

Compared to what an injured bike rider would cost in repair and rehab, I believe bike rego should be whatever a bike rider believes his medical costs would be were he to be scraped up still alive but basically mush, from the road and from vehicles body-work

How much value do you place on your life?  Seeing as a bike rider places his life and injury in the hands of motorised vehicle drivers, how much do you believe it would cost to put you back together to the point you could work and walk?

Do you have enough insurace to get you through old age should you become injured whilst riding?  That's a problem for you to consider, firstly.  But it's also something which will effect other road users.  You lying encased in steel and plaster in a hospital bed for twelve or more months, or again filling a bed while you languish in coma for several years, impacts everyone, not least of all being police and emergency services, workers forced to be late for work while your bits are scraped up

So the issue needs to be brought into line with other road users and road accidents, disputes, etc.  Get bike riders registered and identifiable.  That way, dash cams will speed up the formal dispute process.  And bike riders, once they realise they're identifiable, will have that fact uppermost in their minds as they share the road with others

Considering the road accidents and disputes generated by bike riders, I believe bike-rego should be substantial and should exceed rego costs for motorised vehicles

Do motorists pay based on their likelihood to turn to mush in a crash?

How do you propose I become identifiable without completely ruining my drag factor. You might not think thats important, but it is for me.

Plus, as per usual, the whole thing is being built up out of proportion by motorists.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #157 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:33pm:
Quote:
I agree with Valkie.  Number plates for bikes must become mandatory.  And, imo, bike riders/owners should also pay rego, insurance, the whole deal.

The cost of the paperwork would be an order of magnitude higher than what you can get a new bike for. This is nanny state gone crazy.

Don't you think it's a bit of a hysterical over-reaction to call them thugs?

Are you attempting to bait me?

Where, in my initial post (or subsequent for that matter) did I use the word 'thug' ?

So whose 'hysterical overreaction' are you referring to?

We differ in our interpretation of 'nanny state gone crazy'. 
The nanny state gone absurd is nowhere more evident than a government telling motorised vehicles of massive weight and power on overcrowded roads, to watch out for the difficult to see, almost two or even one dimensional bike-riding figure in amongst forests of hoardings, advertisement (many flashing) road signs, other vehicles of varying sizes, side roads, merging roads, traffic lights, three lanes of packed vehicles

Maybe it's a form of population culling, this life-risking bike riding? 

Oh, but it makes bike riders healthier, fitter 

Sure, sucking up diesel and road fumes has always been recognised as a healthy, life prolonging pursuit said no one

I enjoy bike riding.  Haven't done any for a while.  But even on country roads with clear line of sight, fresh air, the risks were there.  Weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic, trucks of every description, breathing in constant toxins, hated and feared by other road users --- how would that be described?  Suicidal?  Provocative?  Dangerous?  Stress causing and stress laden ?  Why would anyone do it, unless forced to by total poverty?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #158 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm

Cyclists should not be sharing roads with motor vehicles, far too often I see perfectly good bike paths unused while these cycle nutters mix with cars and trucks.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #159 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:51pm

rhino wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm:
Cyclists should not be sharing roads with motor vehicles, far too often I see perfectly good bike paths unused while these cycle nutters mix with cars and trucks.

Whilst I agree with you in some cases, the problem is that bike paths are more windy and have more stops than the road and the one thing cyclists hate doing is stopping and starting. Thats why they go on the roads.

Personally I ride on the roads for my commute where there is a safe designated bike lane on the road, but then will go to the bike path where there is not one. On my weekend rides in the country, then I will go on the roads.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #160 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:54pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:40pm:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm:

Do motorists pay based on their likelihood to turn to mush in a crash?

How do you propose I become identifiable without completely ruining my drag factor. You might not think thats important, but it is for me.

Plus, as per usual, the whole thing is being built up out of proportion by motorists.

Maybe you're stirring, who knows

If you're not, my response is:  your drag factor and/or lack of it is not my concern.  Being able to identify you in response to your claim to police that I menaced you is of importance to me.  Being able to show police how you cut me off, gave me the finger, deliberately impeded my own or other vehicles' ability to utilize the road for its intended purpose will be of immense satisfaction to me, as will teh knowledge that you ran out of points, will be prevented from riding the roads for a specified period and after undertaking retraining

Yes, I want to see standard size rego plates on all push bikes.  And I want all push bike riders to pay a substantial sum in return for the privilege of sharing the road with majority motorised vehicles

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #161 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:56pm

Actually not stirring. Big license plates will slow me down.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #162 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:56pm:

Sitting in buses and trains and bumper to bumper traffic slows down most commuters

You join the club when you ride on the road.  Take it or leave it

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #163 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:58pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:54pm:
  Being able to show police how you cut me off, gave me the finger, deliberately impeded my own or other vehicles' ability to utilize the road for its intended purpose will be of immense satisfaction to me, as will teh knowledge that you ran out of points, will be prevented from riding the roads for a specified period and after undertaking retraining

Since I haven't done that to any driver, why do I need a rego plate? I'm too busy concentrating on my riding to give you the finger.  I mean lets face it 99.999% of motorists and 99.999% of cyclists do the right thing. I'm not looking to have motorists rights removed, so bugger off trying to remove mine.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #164 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:59pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2018 at 12:56pm:

Sitting in buses and trains and bumper to bumper traffic slows down most commuters

You join the club when you ride on the road.  Take it or leave it

And by riding on my bike, I'm removing a car from the bumper to bumper traffic. You should be getting off your fat arse and thanking me for doing that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Send Topic Print