Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs... (Read 15385 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs...
May 30th, 2018 at 2:27pm

(now that I've got your attention)

"Australian drivers are fighting for a road rule that could finally mean the end to the war between cyclists and cars.

More than 80,000 people have signed a change.org petition calling for a compulsory single file rule for cyclists who ride in groups, regardless of whether a bike lane exists in a particular spot or not.

The drivers are calling on the transport ministers of each Australian state to make the change.

As part of the law change, the drivers also want cyclists banned from driving on roads with a speed limit of 80km/h or higher if the roads don’t have designated bike lanes.

“We are tired of taxpayer dollars being lavished on expensive road systems with designated bike lanes, only to see cyclists continue to ride two or more abreast, spilling into main traffic lanes and impeding traffic flow,” the petition said.

“We are tired of the safety hazards such cyclists present, and we are tired of being told we’re bad drivers if we complain about this problem.

“We, the undersigned concerned citizens of Australia, believe our money is being wasted every time an expensive bike lane is built on a main road in circumstances where cyclists ignore such infrastructure as a matter of routine behaviour.”

The creator of the petition believes cyclists travelling in single file would be safest.

Bikes NSW communications director Kim Lavender told News Corp there were better alternatives for cyclists and the two abreast rule was safer.

“If you are riding two abreast on a road it means you are taking up less length on the road so it is easier for cars to overtake,” she said.

“It reduces it down to two metres of overtaking as opposed to three or more if riders were in single file.”

Transport Minister Michael McCormack has been contacted for comment"

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thousands-aussie-drivers-campaign-change-cycling-road-...

No more 'Door 'Em All, Let God Sort 'Em Out!!'

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Motorists demand fair go from bike thugs...
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:30pm

Ban them!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:35pm

Sydney drivers get all agitated being held up by bikes for 20 seconds because it cuts into the time they'll enjoy waiting at the next set of lights.

IBI

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Quote:
"cyclists ignore such infrastructure as a matter of routine behaviour.”

Wrong!  Cyclists take the safest, smoothest, fastest roadway available depending on circumstances.  Before he opens his mouth, that bloke needs to ride the same roads where he is complaining about cyclists commuting with other vehicles, and with the same intentions as other vehicles: to get somewhere smoothly.

He needs to do this for a year at least, on a bike, through the days, and try out the bike lanes and shared paths compared to the roads, and see how cumbersome in design as well as the often rougher surfaces, and then he might understand why sometimes it is okay to take a bike path and sometimes it is wiser to take the road. 

Cyclists still pay the rego on their cars even when we leave them at home and ride our bikes, you know?  Don't be so jolly stingy about it!
It's un-Australian.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:48pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 2:40pm:

Cyclists still pay the rego on their cars even when we leave them at home and ride our bikes, you know?  Don't be so jolly stingy about it!
It's un-Australian.   

Not all cyclists own a car.

Get 'em off the road - they're a menace.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2018 at 2:56pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 2:48pm:

It's un-Australian.   

You have an interesting attitude and taste for shadenfreude.  Not all car drivers pay rego, touche'.  You could use a ticket to Copenhagen, to see how 46% of a city commutes by bike. 

Are you disabled?  That might explain your opinion but not your attitude.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:00pm

I for one take great care around cyclists on the road. It costs you all of 10 seconds.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 2:56pm:

It's un-Australian.   

You have an interesting attitude and taste for shadenfreude.  Not all car drivers pay rego, touche'.  You could use a ticket to Copenhagen, to see how 46% of a city commutes by bike. 

I don't live in Copenhagen (was very close last week, though) - I live in Perth, Western Australia.

In Perth, Western Australia, the majority of adult bike riders are rude pricks who disobey the law every five minutes, and abuse law-abiding motorists for no reason at all.

Get 'em off the roads (and footpaths).

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:14pm

Gordon wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 2:35pm:
Sydney drivers get all agitated being held up by bikes for 20 seconds because it cuts into the time they'll enjoy waiting at the next set of lights.

Haha exactly right.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:15pm

Gordon wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
I for one take great care around cyclists on the road. It costs you all of 10 seconds.

So do I, as a mater of fact - same with motor cycles.....but since it's so trendy to throw the word the word 'thug' around that I just had to get it in... how knows? With enough mindless repetition of the word it might come to have the same value as words like 'violence' do today.... next to nothing due to over-extending it....

Truth is like a rubber band - you can only stretch it so many times before it becomes inelastic and eventually breaks down completely.

Here's a good one - you could door 'em and push 'em out into the traffic at the same time...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:17pm

I think thats the key isn't it.

As a cyclist, I don't disagree that there are dickhead cyclists. There are also dickhead drivers.

Riding as a bunch as cyclists does 2 things.

1. We go quicker thereby holding you up slightly less
2. Its safer for us since we're a slighlty bigger obstruction.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:23pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:17pm:

As a cyclist, I don't disagree that there are dickhead cyclists. There are also dickhead drivers.

Just imagine the cyclists is your son/daughter /brother/ sister.

The other day I saw an impatient car cut off a school kid on a bike. Lucky he had space to runoff.

My urge to catch and beat the driver senseless was barely contained

IBI

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:27pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:07pm:

It's un-Australian.   

I don't live in Copenhagen (was very close last week, though) - I live in Perth, Western Australia.

In Perth, Western Australia, the majority of adult bike riders are rude pricks who disobey the law every five minutes, and abuse law-abiding motorists for no reason at all.

Perth has seen a remarkable improvement in driver attitudes this year since the less lethal passing laws have started to become common knowledge.  Commuting has become quite a comfortable experience again after the last decade of road-rage. 

When it comes to the shared paths, if the cyclists are in good moods because of the good moods of the car drivers, it makes us treat the pedestrians more gently, and before you know it, everyone is happy again!

You shouldn't be so negative about the better parts of future.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:31pm

Gordon wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:23pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:17pm:

Just imagine the cyclists is your son/daughter /brother/ sister.

The other day I saw an impatient car cut off a school kid on a bike. Lucky he had space to runoff.

My urge to catch and beat the driver senseless was barely contained

Was riding with a non bunch riding group on Sun (in other words, we were single file and spread out), one of the guys had a ute pass within a metre on 100 road, the driver then turned round came back abused this guy for riding on the road, got called out about how it was legal, then proceeded to drive past the cyclist again within the metre.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:32pm

Imrah wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:27pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 3:07pm:

It's un-Australian.   

Perth has seen a remarkable improvement in driver attitudes this year since the less lethal passing laws have started to become common knowledge.  Commuting has become quite a comfortable experience again after the last decade of road-rage. 

When it comes to the shared paths, if the cyclists are in good moods because of the good moods of the car drivers, it makes us treat the pedestrians more gently, and before you know it, everyone is happy again!

You shouldn't be so negative about the better parts of future.

Perth has seen a remarkable decline in cyclists' attitudes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14
Send Topic Print