Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MP Slams Feds Over Lack Of Bulk-Billed MRI (Read 700 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
MP Slams Feds Over Lack Of Bulk-Billed MRI
May 25th, 2018 at 10:08am

Butcher slams Feds over lack of bulk-billed MRI

24th May 2018
The Observer.

GLADSTONE MP Glenn Butcher has slammed the Federal Government for the ongoing lack of a bulk-billed Magnetic Resonance Imaging service in Gladstone.   Sad

Gladstone has two MRI machines but neither have a licence for a Medicare rebate.

This means outpatients who can't afford the full cost - about $200 - need to travel to Rockhampton or forego the scan.

There were 347 licensed machines across Australia in December, according to the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists.

Gladstone has been without one since Central Queensland Medical Imaging transferred its licence to its fixed site in Rockhampton several years ago.

In a fiery speech to Queensland Parliament last week, Mr Butcher said he had hoped the Federal Budget would include funding for more Medicare licences.

"Alas, access to quality medical services and facilities isn't high on the agenda for the Coalition," he said.   Sad

"There is no getting around it, this Coalition Government wants the people of Gladstone to work longer, to pay out of their own pockets... to pay for their own MRIs, and to pay their own healthcare.

"But don't worry, if you're a multinational business paying no tax, the Coalition Government in Australia has got your back."   Sad

Yesterday Mr Butcher elaborated and asked why people should have to go to Rockhampton for services that used to be available in Gladstone.

"We're desperate for this - I work my butt off to ensure these things are available here," he said.

"If you're driving to Rocky you're paying for petrol... if your child has to get it done, your parent has to take the day off.

"(If patients) don't get a scan done, their condition worsens and they end up in emergency, which is 10 times the cost."

Mr Butcher said if the Federal Government was not able to dictate where businesses used their Medicare licences, it should expand the number of licences it issues.

Gladstone's Noel Swain applied to the Federal Government for one of those licences in 2013.

The request was knocked back.

The Central Queensland Radiology manager said his company, based near the GP Super Clinic, now provides the service at a loss in Gladstone.

"We charge about a couple of hundred dollars," he said.

"But that is significantly less than what it's worth and none of it is covered by Medicare or private health insurance.

"We would welcome any reform that provides a licence for a rebateable magnet in the area."

Mr Swain said Gladstone patients were being disadvantaged and it was not fair that there were three licensed MRIs in Rockhampton.

"Considering what Gladstone contributes in GDP to the area, you would think we would have one," he said.

Responding to Mr Butcher's comments yesterday, Flynn MP Ken O'Dowd said he was completely in favour of a bulk-billing MRI service in Gladstone.

"That has always been my position and will continue," he said.

"However there is nothing to prevent medical practitioners operating a non Medicare-eligible unit.

"It is private enterprises', including private hospitals', prerogative to make this choice.

"Patients have choice of multiple MRI services in Gladstone, we can not dictate if these provided are bulk-billing." 

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: MP Slams Feds Over Lack Of Bulk-Billed MRI
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:11am

We know the Coalition can't be trusted with Medicare and bulk-billing.   Sad 

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:17am

whiteknight wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:08am:

"However there is nothing to prevent medical practitioners operating a non Medicare-eligible unit.

"It is private enterprises', including private hospitals', prerogative to make this choice.

"Patients have choice of multiple MRI services in Gladstone, we can not dictate if these provided are bulk-billing." 

Did you miss that part?

I have only been to the doctors once in the last 10 years a few stitches on Workers comp which is not medicare.

The fearmongering over medicare sucks in the gullible, if i add up what i have paid compared to the lack of use from medicare i am subsidisng the fat obese smokers with my medicare levy.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2018 at 10:54am

We want the doctor that does the bulk-billing.   Sad

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2018 at 11:33am

whiteknight wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:54am:

Private hospitals are a private business they can run it how they like.

Did you miss that part in your link?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2018 at 11:42am

Baronvonrort wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:17am:

Did you miss that part?

I have only been to the doctors once in the last 10 years a few stitches on Workers comp which is not medicare.

The fearmongering over medicare sucks in the gullible, if i add up what i have paid compared to the lack of use from medicare i am subsidisng the fat obese smokers with my medicare levy.

Pensioners etc cant afford "private" prices. Why take away the facilities? Private hospitals can charge what they want but there should be a medicare option for the poor. Why are we trying to become america?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2018 at 11:52am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 11:42am:

Did you miss that part?

Pensioners etc cant afford "private" prices. Why take away the facilities? Private hospitals can charge what they want but there should be a medicare option for the poor. Why are we trying to become america?

Spot

Medicare has nothing to do with private hospitals they're 2 separate issues.

Private facilities have nothing to do with the government, how is a private hospital or clinic taking anything away without them those who have motor vehicle accidents or workers comp claims would have no facility for local MRI scans.

If the government cannot provide MRI don't blame private business for doing what the government cannot deliver.

A private business is under no obligation to deal with the government.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:26pm

Did you miss that part?

You're missing the point as usual.

The Libs are ideologically opposed to fixing this problem, a problem mostly of their own making. As long as they vomit ideological nonsense like "private enterprises' ... prerogative to make this choice" while knocking back applications for radiology licences, they will not fix the problem.

All this O'Dowd grub is doing is making it easier for the people of Gladstone to vote him out at the next Federal election. His electorate of Flynn is one of the most marginal in the country with a margin of only 1.04%. He's doing nothing for his constituents, they will dump him.

You're overlooking this:
Quote:
Gladstone's Noel Swain applied to the Federal Government for one of those licences in 2013.

The request was knocked back.

So why not just grant the frigging licence?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Baronvonrort wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 11:33am:
whiteknight wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:54am:

Private hospitals are a private business they can run it how they like.

No, they can't. They have to obey the law and regulations, their staff must have appropriate qualifications and so on. If the Federal government chooses to dictate to them where their Medicare radiology licence is valid, they have no choice but to comply.

There is a demand for Medicare radiology in Gladstone and the do-nothing seat-warmer who holds the electorate on a thin margin is ignoring this need. If he wants to hold his seat, he must pay very close attention to this need or suffer the electoral consequences.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2018 at 4:36pm

Just one more example of a corrupt coalition looking after their mates at the expense of the working man. Hopefully, the good people of Gladstone will deliver them a well deserved boot at the next election.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:10am

Baronvonrort wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 11:52am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 11:42am:

Did you miss that part?

Spot

Medicare has nothing to do with private hospitals they're 2 separate issues.

Private facilities have nothing to do with the government, how is a private hospital or clinic taking anything away without them those who have motor vehicle accidents or workers comp claims would have no facility for local MRI scans.

If the government cannot provide MRI don't blame private business for doing what the government cannot deliver.

A private business is under no obligation to deal with the government.

What are you on about? I didnt say medicare had anything to do with private practices. The issue (in the article) is that there are only private facilities in the area.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print