Send Topic Print
ramadan in Aus (Read 3348 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
ramadan in Aus
May 23rd, 2018 at 10:20am

http://aboutislam.net/muslim-issues/australia/ramadan-australia-organizing-time-...
SYDNEY – The holy month of Ramadan is about spirituality and social solidarity. But for Ramia Abdo Sultan, a busy working mother, Ramadan is also about being organized enough to handle her career and house.
“Apart from the important spiritual aspect of the month-long fast from dawn to dusk, it’s all about planning ahead for my three school-aged children, aged 11, 9 and 7,” the Muslim mother Ramia Abdo Sultan told ABC on May 17.

I love the fasting part.... I personally think we eat 2 much and 2 often, 2/3 of Australia is overweight and could learn from some old wisdom  Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ramadan in Aus
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2018 at 10:29am

I recently did a retreat in Thailand where we didn't eat after midday, as Buddhist monks do. After a while, I was used to one modest meal a day, but I wasn't working. I imagine it would be hard if you have a physical job.

The non-drinking part of Ramadan must be tough. I'm tempted to do it one year to see what it's like.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2018 at 10:49am

Mattyfisk wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 10:29am:
I recently did a retreat in Thailand where we didn't eat after midday, as Buddhist monks do. After a while, I was used to one modest meal a day, but I wasn't working. I imagine it would be hard if you have a physical job.

The non-drinking part of Ramadan must be tough. I'm tempted to do it one year to see what it's like.

I eat and 10am and then 6-7pm at night when I work , its labour and usually do about 12 hours a day and I have more energy now than when I used to eat breakky.
Not working usually do the 6-18 so eat about 2pm then again about 6pm or just once a day, doing it for a year I'm almost same weight I was when I was 20  Grin

I am me

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2018 at 10:55am

We should spare a thought for all those atheists who have to pretend to be muslims because of the death penalty for apostasy and their famiies rejecting them because they don't believe in the fairy tales found in dusty old books from the dark ages.

Many atheists have to pretend to fast, they hide food and drink every Ramadan.

It's a laugh how many muslims are obese have a look at Abu Kebab Al Fatassi, they're doing alright on welfare we have a thread in the Islam section on muslim women topping the numbers for unemployed women and the muslim men not far behind.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:04am

Baronvonrort wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 10:55am:
We should spare a thought for all those atheists who have to pretend to be muslims because of the death penalty for apostasy and their famiies rejecting them because they don't believe in the fairy tales found in dusty old books from the dark ages.

It's a laugh how many muslims are obese have a look at Abu Kebab Al Fatassi, they're doing alright on welfare we have a thread in the Islam section on muslim women topping the numbers for unemployed women and the muslim men not far behind.

Strange. I've been to restaurants all over Malaysia and Indonesia during Ramadan, all full of people eating.

I'm not sure what apostasy and death penalties have to do with fasting for spiritual growth. You?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:05am

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 10:49am:

I eat and 10am and then 6-7pm at night when I work , its labour and usually do about 12 hours a day and I have more energy now than when I used to eat breakky.
Not working usually do the 6-18 so eat about 2pm then again about 6pm or just once a day, doing it for a year I'm almost same weight I was when I was 20  Grin

Me too, Don. Could you do Ramadan?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:08am

Mattyfisk wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 11:04am:

Strange. I've been to restaurants all over Malaysia and Indonesia during Ramadan, all full of people eating.

I'm not sure what apostasy and death penalties have to do with fasting for spiritual growth. You?

Quote:
Penalties for Eating During Ramadan

Questions answered by Mohammad Ebrahim Al Shaiba of Al Bahr Advocates and Legal Consultants

S. David asks: Will a non-Muslim be penalised for eating, drinking or smoking in public at day hours in Ramadan?

Yes, both Muslims and non-Muslims are forbidden to eat, drink or smoke in public in the daytime during Ramadan.

Article 313 of the Federal Penal Code states that daytime eating, drinking, smoking or consuming anything that is breaking the fast in public during Ramadan is a criminal offence that carries a jail term of not more than a month or a Dh2 ,000 fine. The law does not differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims. However, the judge may be tougher with a Muslim, punishing Muslims with the jail term and non-Muslims with the fine.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k324424-Penalties_for_Eati...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:09am

yup 2/3 of Australians r fat Smiley
Atheists eat, but don't believe in it  Cheesy
once a person is obese they should be forced to fast, we all know we put on fat for a rainy day, but if the rainy day never comes....... Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:18pm

Baronvonrort wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 11:08am:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 11:04am:

Quote:
Penalties for Eating During Ramadan

Questions answered by Mohammad Ebrahim Al Shaiba of Al Bahr Advocates and Legal Consultants

S. David asks: Will a non-Muslim be penalised for eating, drinking or smoking in public at day hours in Ramadan?

Yes, both Muslims and non-Muslims are forbidden to eat, drink or smoke in public in the daytime during Ramadan.

Article 313 of the Federal Penal Code states that daytime eating, drinking, smoking or consuming anything that is breaking the fast in public during Ramadan is a criminal offence that carries a jail term of not more than a month or a Dh2 ,000 fine. The law does not differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims. However, the judge may be tougher with a Muslim, punishing Muslims with the jail term and non-Muslims with the fine.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k324424-Penalties_for_Eati...

That's interesting, Baron. Dubai is a major international tourist destination.

However, the key word is public.

You can eat, drink and smoke inside.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:20pm

A dietician recently told me that religious style fasting actually encourages the body to put on weight because you make it think there is a risk of starvation.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:44pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:20pm:
A dietician recently told me that religious style fasting actually encourages the body to put on weight because you make it think there is a risk of starvation.

ok u need excess calories to  make body fat, where is that coming from if u fast ?
Full fast u will use about 250g of fat a day. Takes about 8 hours to start using body fat, our bodies never go into bear style hibernation and make more fat.
If u fasted one day and ate like a pig the next week u would put on weight though Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:46pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:44pm:

ok u need excess calories to  make body fat, where is that coming from if u fast ?
Full fast u will use about 250g of fat a day. Takes about 8 hours to start using body fat, our bodies never go into bear style hibernation and make more fat.
If u fasted one day and ate like a pig the next week u would put on weight though Smiley

Yes, that was the theory. When people are worried they might starve to death, they over-eat when there is plenty.

You have to be neurotic to count calories accurately. People let hunger guide them, and if you fast occasionally your body will tell you you are starving every time you pass KFC.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2018 at 2:18pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 12:46pm:

Yes, that was the theory. When people are worried they might starve to death, they over-eat when there is plenty.

You have to be neurotic to count calories accurately. People let hunger guide them, and if you fast occasionally your body will tell you you are starving every time you pass KFC.

Actually for me the more I fast the less I want to snack, I start of realize a lot of the time its more habit than hunger and I need to talk myself into eating if more than a day. Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:32pm

The purpose of ramadan isn't to lose weight.

Also, muslims don't eat less during ramadan, they just eat at different times.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:45pm

Its not just about gorging during eating times, its also the fact that if your body thinks you are starving it goes into survival mode by drastically lowering metabolism - which makes you burn less calories than you normally would. Its why people going on diets typically experience an initial fast drop in their weight, followed by a long period of stagnant weight, before they start losing weight again.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:47pm

BS, you went on a sex trip to Pattaya, I hate to think what you ate there. Yuck.

IBI

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:45pm:

Its not just about gorging during eating times, its also the fact that if your body thinks you are starving it goes into survival mode by drastically lowering metabolism - which makes you burn less calories than you normally would. Its why people going on diets typically experience an initial fast drop in their weight, followed by a long period of stagnant weight, before they start losing weight again.

actually its opposite your Metabolism actually goes up, if u don't eat for a few days and everything slowed down you would never eat again. Survival mode kicks in everything goes into overdrive so u can catch food again, that's the whole ketosis thing .
Fat is our perfect food , we make it for when we don't eat and our brain and bodies love it.
Starvation mode will finally kick in when u use up all the body fat (body builders still about 9%) Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2018 at 3:55pm

These mumbo jumbo rituals played out by religions are just a way of showing how completely gullible and stupid you are and willing to follow your masters.

Be it Christian, Mouselambs ,Jews, Hohobas Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventurers.

When I become El Supremo ruler of the world, they are all up against the wall.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:32pm

Gordon wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:47pm:

BS, you went on a sex trip to Pattaya, I hate to think what you ate there. Yuck.

Do you know? I have never been to Pattaya.

You?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:33pm

miketrees wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:55pm:
These mumbo jumbo rituals played out by religions are just a way of showing how completely gullible and stupid you are and willing to follow your masters.

Be it Christian, Mouselambs ,Jews, Hohobas Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventurers.

When I become El Supremo ruler of the world, they are all up against the wall.

Thanks, Mike, but what does this have to do with the spiritual benefits of fasting?
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2018 at 7:39pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:43pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:32pm:
Gordon wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:47pm:

Do you know? I have never been to Pattaya.

You?

Didn't you go there for R&R and poon during the war?

My first time in Thailand I caught the public bus from Bangkok to Rayong (to get the ferry to Ko Samet) and it went thru Pattaya, but only to the bus station on the egde of town.

I was young and tender then and knew nothing about what goes on in a place like that.

Yuck

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:45pm

Thanks, Mike, but what does this have to do with the spiritual benefits of fasting?

Everything , they are all stupid rituals concocted by religions

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2018 at 8:36pm

miketrees wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:45pm:

Not at all, Mike, they're age-old techniques to purify one's body and let go of the ego. Charity is also a function of Ramadan. Be nice to others, your family, animals, yourself, everyone.

What could possibly be ritualistic about that?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm:

actually its opposite your Metabolism actually goes up, if u don't eat for a few days and everything slowed down you would never eat again. Survival mode kicks in everything goes into overdrive so u can catch food again, that's the whole ketosis thing .
Fat is our perfect food , we make it for when we don't eat and our brain and bodies love it.
Starvation mode will finally kick in when u use up all the body fat (body builders still about 9%) Wink Wink

So your metabolism goes up when you fast?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2018 at 5:59am

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm:

\

So your metabolism goes up when you fast?
\
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-metabolismShort-Term Fasts Boost Metabolism by up to 14%
Many people believe that skipping meals will cause your body to adapt by lowering its metabolic rate to save energy.
It's well established that very long periods without food can cause a drop in metabolism (28, 29).
However, studies have shown that fasting for short periods can actually increase your metabolism, not slow it down (30, 31).
One study in 11 healthy men found that a 3-day fast actually increased their metabolism by an impressive 14% (26).

Personally just not eating breakfast while working (plus loosing 10kg) I work the same in the morning but in the afternoon around 2 always felt down (run of of glucogen and hit a wall) now I work all afternoon never get tired.
Almost all I heard about fasting was wrong, I always thought if I didn't eat I would loose muscle mass as well, not happened ..I surprise myself now when I take off my shirt I feel like a old man but look like a young one Smiley
Jason Fung is the man to track down, a amazing guy. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #25 - May 24th, 2018 at 6:03am

Mattyfisk wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 8:36pm:
miketrees wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:45pm:

Not at all, Mike, they're age-old techniques to purify one's body and let go of the ego. Charity is also a function of Ramadan. Be nice to others, your family, animals, yourself, everyone.

What could possibly be ritualistic about that?

I think a lot of the old religious texts have good advice and wisdom in them, like not eating pork ,  Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

yragnitup

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:41pm

Middle East studies show many people tend to gain weight during Ramadan.

egyptindependent.com/five-tips-avoid-weight-gain-ramadan/

gulfnews.com/gn-focus/special-reports/ramadan/how-to-lose-weight-during-ramadan-

Wherein both will be those (maidens) restraining their glances upon their husbands, whom no man or jinn yatmithhunna (has opened their hymens with sexual intercourse) before them - Quran  55:56, Mushi

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 6:57pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:32pm:

What is the purpose of Ramadan - apart from APPEARING pius during the day then gorging yourself at night and having a ramadan bombathon  (smile, you are in the dictionary)?

What does Ramadan teach you, other than clock watching?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

yragnitup

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 7:19pm

Actually every religion/culture has their version & purpose of fasting but no one makes a big showcase of it like Muslims , partly because in many Muslim countries its not out of freewill where in some places those caught eating in Ramadan are punished etc. Now look at the verse of the Quran giving instructions on fasting time.

It has been made permissible for you the night preceding fasting to go to your wives [for sexual relations]. They are clothing for you and you are clothing for them. Allah knows that you used to deceive yourselves, so He accepted your repentance and forgave you. So now, have relations with them and seek that which Allah has decreed for you. And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread [of night]. Then complete the fast until the sunset. And do not have relations with them as long as you are staying for worship in the mosques. These are the limits [set by] Allah, so do not approach them. Thus does Allah make clear His ordinances to the people that they may become righteous. (Quran 2 187)

So the All Knowing Allah didn't know about Alaska or Southern Chile where sun doesn't rise or set for months? Either the Muslims there can't start Ramadan fast or end up dying of starvation. The solution is , Muslims had to rectify Allah's mistake and make innovation like follow another/Mecca time zone etc. This just show Allah & the God (if any)who created the earth are not the same.

Wherein both will be those (maidens) restraining their glances upon their husbands, whom no man or jinn yatmithhunna (has opened their hymens with sexual intercourse) before them - Quran  55:56, Mushi

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #29 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:20am

So a bloke writes down what God said. Or, to put it accurately, what he said God said. And people believe him?

Many may just be gullible due to stupidity, but they are not all unintelligent. However, they are prepared to insult their own intelligence with childish explanations of reality. Here are a few reasons: security, fear, guilt, order, wishful thinking.

"You gotta walk this lonesome valley,
You gotta walk it by yourself"

No I don't, I got daddy to hold my hand.

Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, I'm saved!

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 12:38pm

Frank wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 3:32pm:

What is the purpose of Ramadan - apart from APPEARING pius during the day then gorging yourself at night and having a ramadan bombathon  (smile, you are in the dictionary)?

What does Ramadan teach you, other than clock watching?

Same as Lent, old boy.

Not good for the sale of stool, I know.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #31 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:37am

issuevoter wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:20am:
So a bloke writes down what God said. Or, to put it accurately, what he said God said. And people believe him?

Many may just be gullible due to stupidity, but they are not all unintelligent. However, they are prepared to insult their own intelligence with childish explanations of reality. Here are a few reasons: security, fear, guilt, order, wishful thinking.

"You gotta walk this lonesome valley,
You gotta walk it by yourself"

No I don't, I got daddy to hold my hand.

Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, I'm saved!

All religious types tend to be intellectual feebs, making all of their main decisions based on the word of some long dead scam artist, being repeated by some modern day scam artist.

If you need to believe in fairy tales to give your pathetic life meaning then you need to take a long hard look at yourself and grow the fkk up.

Just take a look as the religious types here and tell me they aren't a little on the useless mouth-breather side of the equation.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print