Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newstart Desperation Has Salvos Under Pump (Read 588 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Newstart Desperation Has Salvos Under Pump
May 23rd, 2018 at 9:24am

May 23 2018
Newstart desperation has Salvos under pump

Ballarat Courier

The government needs to consider increasing the Newstart allowance, say the Salvos.

Newstart recipients have $17 a day to live off once their accommodation is paid for, leaving them under extreme housing stress, paying bills late and struggling to feed themselves and their families, research shows.   Sad

The Salvation Army says the government's repeat failure to increase the dole in the federal budget has placed further pressure on the charity to help those Australians experiencing such "devastating" daily hardship.   Sad   

"In the past, people would come maybe every few months when they got an unexpected bill; what we're finding now is almost every week people just can't meet living costs," Salvation Army major Paul Moulds told AAP on Wednesday.

"I think the desperation is greater and the struggle is worse."

More than half the 1267 Salvos customers who participated in the 2018 Economic and Social Impact Survey (ESIS) said their financial situation had become worse over the past year.

Federal Liberal MP Julia Banks earlier this month claimed she could live on the $40 a day for a single person without children looking for work provided by the Newstart allowance (NSA).

However this was rebutted by many including Labor leader Bill Shorten while former prime minister John Howard recently said the 24-year freeze on the rate had "probably gone on too long".

A rare alliance of business, industry and community groups were pushing for a $75 rise to the NSA pre-budget.

Mr Moulds said they will continue to push for an increase given the "huge difference" it would make to vulnerable people seeking help, including decreased emotional stress and the ability to purchase more food.

He said the government's argument the fortnightly payment is for transitional support, not to live off, is flawed.   Sad

"The people who come to us are often beaten down by life," he said.

"They need to be in a mind space where their confidence, their self esteem is okay ... (and) they can focus their attention and energy on looking for work rather than trying to survive each week.

"In some ways that low payment works against their capacity to be able to go and convince an employer that they're in a state of mind and able to get a job."

THE SALVATION ARMY'S 2018 ESIS   Sad

* 95 per cent of households under the poverty line

* Four of five respondents privately renting/paying a mortgage spend more than half their income on it

* A disposable income of $435 per week becomes $21 a day after accommodation costs

* Those on Newstart left with $17 to live off a day

* More than two thirds cite food affordability the greatest day-to-day challenge

* More than half can't pay phone, gas or electricity bills on time

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Newstart Desperation Has Salvos Under Pump
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:47am

The Dole was never meant to be a lifestyle choice, if dole bludgers want more money they should get a job the minimum wage is over $18 per hour.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:52am

When will the unemployed ever get a fair and just increase?.   Sad

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:54am

whiteknight wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 9:52am:
When will the unemployed ever get a fair and just increase?.   Sad

When they get a job.   Smiley

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:12pm

Baronvonrort wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 9:47am:
The Dole was never meant to be a lifestyle choice, if dole bludgers want more money they should get a job the minimum wage is over $18 per hour.

What a
simplistic, moronic
statement
Even this government admits - in the main - there are WAY more unemployed than there are employment vacancies
If you have been retrenched - and over 50 - you'll most likely be NEVER offered paid work for the remainder of your life

Newstart should be raised - at least to match the poverty level - and then quartarly increased to match the CPI

The unemployed should NEVER be used as a political football - as they ARE, every federal budget - with this annual battle of the "haves and have-nots" that divides Australians

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2018 at 12:21pm by buzzanddidj »  

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:29pm

There used to be dole bludgers—I rented them space in a house I owned with my business partne back in the 1980s. Never all that many bludgers—it means share accommodation, a mainly vegetarian diet, clothing yourself from op shops and garage sales, no car, no reliable car anyway.

Now with all the hoops you have to jump through I doubt many contemplate it as a life choice. The terminally lazy maybe.

This insistence on treating all unemployed alike meant that those who might attend a training course out of hope for acquiring new skills and landing a job had their courses ruined by those not interested in learning skills or finding jobs. Not that most of the training was worth a pinch of poop to begin with.

Now with the Jobs Network instead of a professional CES the unemployed are further from finding work than ever.
Later, when I needed to employ a receptionist only young women applied—none staid more than 3 years—they went off and got married etc. But a lot of employers won’t take on anybody aged 45 or over.

The NewStart payment needs to be increased by $100/week. Those incapacitated need to be put on the Invalid Support Pension. Doing the right thing will give a nice boost to the economy and create jobs.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:35pm

I personally dont care if it is a lifestyle choice which i highly doubt, and neither should anyone else. Countries which treat the unemployed and socially disadvantaged well have far fewer social problems within their societies. Inherent wealth and standard of living is not based on everyone being forced to work like a robot.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2018 at 1:34pm

Being nearly 50, unemployed (but for $30-$60 for 8hrs Taxi work for 4 shifts) and homeless (living in bush, tent, ute).
I can honestly say that the 'DOLE' is NOT a 'lifestyle'.
Poverty is like Gaol. You can't do much with 'nothing' except do the time and wait for a possible opportunity (applied, etc).

Of course, there are the 'Bludgers' who ruin it for all and especially the 'Battlers' of whom really do try to crawl out of that chasm.
We are so lucky we have a
'Safety Net'
. In nearly all countries, when you fall - you hit cement and never 'bounce back up'.

So the real 'issue' is to have the balls and intelligence to
'draw the line'
between the
Bludgers and the Battlers
If neither Party can discern the 'difference' then neither have the ability to govern this country.

It's because of the 'Bludgers' that the Battlers are finding it even harder today to keep up appearances and the pace.

So please.
If you can't tell the difference and can only meagre up a portion of 'generalisation' - then don't comment. Lips Sealed

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2018 at 8:52am

Shouting by bolding, highlighting and enlarging does not make your point better. It just makes you look like a child. I have removed your puerile shouting.

You have no clue what happens in the real world. None at all.

Increasing the dole is urgently needed because the unreasonably low rate of the dole is a barrier to employment. Housing costs have increased at well over inflation and this has not been taken into account when setting the rate of payments.

Jobs are scarce and there are not enough jobs for everyone. Employers discriminate against the unemployed when hiring, especially for people over 50. Casual work is rampant and it does not reliably allow people to get off the dole. Government red tape is a significant barrier to employment.

The correct way to get more people into work: create more jobs and make them available to Australians first. Make deep cuts to foreign work visas. Slash government red tape imposed on the unemployed. Ban discrimination against the unemployed. Scrap the privatised job services providers. Reinstate the Commonwealth Employment Service. Pay incentives direct to employers and recruiters when they hire unemployed workers. Consider a Job Guarantee to make work readily available to anyone who wants it.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print