Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Islam's focus on Geography (Read 3617 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Islam's focus on Geography
May 21st, 2018 at 8:46pm

Abu used to tell us that Islam "owns" Israel and Spain and would soon win them back in an inevitable great victory.

polite_gandalf wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 5:19pm:
Just so we understand the context, in a discussion about North Korea and nuclear disarmament in which Islam was not even remotely on the radar, issue barks at me WTTE "you, muslim! You want Australia to be part of Islam - don't you muslim!"

Apparently issue still doesn't understand how ignorant and bigoted that makes him sound.

Also, the concept of 'Australia being part of Islam' is ridiculous. As if "Islam" is some geographic place with borders.

I treated the question with the disdain it deserves - and stuck to the actual topic.

freediver wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 9:54pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 8:23pm:
freediver wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:00pm:
Quote:
As if "Islam" is some geographic place with borders.

For most of its history, it was.

Islam is faith in God, and it occupies only the hearts of the believers.

Geographic places with borders are actually the very antithesis of true Islam.

But please don't think you need to start a new thread from this statement.

You mean geographic places like that old pagan shrine in Mecca?

From the Quran:

http://www.clearquran.com/009.html

28. O you who believe! The polytheists are polluted, so let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year of theirs. And if you fear poverty, God will enrich you from His grace, if He wills. God is Aware and Wise.

http://www.clearquran.com/003.html

96. The first house established for mankind is the one at Bekka; blessed, and guidance for all people.

97. In it are evident signs; the Station of Abraham. Whoever enters it attains security. Pilgrimage to the House is a duty to God for all who can make the journey. But as for those who refuse—God is Independent of the worlds.

http://www.clearquran.com/002.html

191. And kill them wherever you overtake them, and expel them from where they had expelled you. Oppression is more serious than murder. But do not fight them at the Sacred Mosque, unless they fight you there. If they fight you, then kill them. Such is the retribution of the disbelievers.

217. They ask you about fighting during the Holy Month. Say, “Fighting during it is deplorable; but to bar others from God’s path, and to disbelieve in Him, and to prevent access to the Holy Mosque, and to expel its people from it, are more deplorable with God. And persecution is more serious than killing. They will not cease to fight you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can. Whoever among you turns back from his religion, and dies a disbeliever—those are they whose works will come to nothing, in this life, and in the Hereafter. Those are the inmates of the Fire, abiding in it forever.

Hadith:

https://sunnah.com/search/expel-arabian-peninsula

’Umar (RAA) narrated, ‘I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say, “I will certainly expel the Jews and the Christians from the Arabian Peninsula so as to leave only Muslims in it.” Reported by Muslim.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Two deens shall not co-exist in the Arabian Peninsula."

Malik said that Ibn Shihab said, ''Umar ibn al-Khattab searched for information about that until he was absolutely convinced that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had said, 'Two deens shall not co-exist in the Arabian Peninsula,' and he therefore expelled the jews from Khaybar."

Malik said, ''Umar ibn al-Khattab expelled the jews from Najran (a jewish settlement in the Yemen) and Fadak (a jewish settlement thirty miles from Madina). When the jews of Khaybar left, they did not take any fruit or land. The jews of Fadak took half the fruit and half the land, because the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had made a settlement with them for that. So Umar entrusted to them the value in gold, silver, camels, ropes and saddle bags of half the fruit and half the land, and handed the value over to them and expelled them."

The Prophet (ﷺ) on his death-bed, gave three orders saying, "Expel the pagans from the Arabian Peninsula, respect and give gifts to the foreign delegates as you have seen me dealing with them." I forgot the third (order)"

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam's focus on Geography
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:40pm

FD, can you post the inbreeding map again?

Cheers.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:31pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 9:40pm:

Cheers.

It's all the Muslims. no need for maps.  It's the tribal, 'keep it in da family' instinct. All non-Muslims are the primitives - you know, what Islam was supposed to lift them out of but actually kept them in. Islam as a break on liberation. We all see THAT.
Islam as the institutionalised, established way to oppress, repress, disable human emancipation, self-realisation, creativity and yes, freedom.
Islam, Submission to unbearable primitive demands that no sane person would ever submit to.

Islam is nothing short of violation, institutionalised violation of the human spirit. It is a violence perpetrated on the human soul.

Every aspect of it is detrimental to humanity.

If anyone disagrees they are invited to show the positive effects of Islam on the world.

I cannot think of any but if you can, let us hear it.i

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:07pm

Frank wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 10:31pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 9:40pm:

Cheers.

It's all the Muslims. no need for maps.  It's the tribal, 'keep it in da family' instinct. All non-Muslims are the primitives - you know, what Islam was supposed to lift them out of but actually kept them in. Islam as a break on liberation. We all see THAT.
Islam as the institutionalised, established way to oppress, repress, disable human emancipation, self-realisation, creativity and yes, freedom.
Islam, Submission to unbearable primitive demands that no sane person would ever submit to.

Islam is nothing short of violation, institutionalised violation of the human spirit. It is a violence perpetrated on the human soul.

Every aspect of it is detrimental to humanity.

If anyone disagrees they are invited to show the positive effects of Islam on the world.

I cannot think of any but if you can, let us hear it.

You like Danish, njein?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:27am

Gandalf assertion that Islam is only a state of mind, was in response to my question to my question whether he wishes Australia to become part of Islam. It put him in an awkward corner, and it took him a week to come up with this excuse for an answer.

A day later, he added the claim that because Islam is a frame of mind, and he is in that frame of mind, Australia is already part of Islam. If that is the case, the Mecca in Saudi Arabia is actually part of the West, because there is someone there in that frame of mind.

There is conflict in his assertion. Either Saudi Arabia is part of Islam, or its not. Either Australia is part of Islam, or its not.

Gandalf did not want to answer my question because it undermined his pose as an objective person, and shows he doesn't really give a damn for Australia. He only thinks of Mohamed , the Koran and Allah. That's his "frame of mind."

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2018 at 2:42pm

issuevoter wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 7:27am:
Gandalf assertion that Islam is only a state of mind, was in response to my question to my question whether he wishes Australia to become part of Islam. It put him in an awkward corner, and it took him a week to come up with this excuse for an answer.

A day later, he added the claim that because Islam is a frame of mind, and he is in that frame of mind, Australia is already part of Islam. If that is the case, the Mecca in Saudi Arabia is actually part of the West, because there is someone there in that frame of mind.

There is conflict in his assertion. Either Saudi Arabia is part of Islam, or its not. Either Australia is part of Islam, or its not.

Gandalf did not want to answer my question because it undermined his pose as an objective person, and shows he doesn't really give a damn for Australia. He only thinks of Mohamed , the Koran and Allah. That's his "frame of mind."

...and therefore, Gandalf is a horrible traitor who wants the Islamic hordes to destroy our freedom and take over... is that the point you are getting at issue?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2018 at 8:21pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 2:42pm:

...and therefore, Gandalf is a horrible traitor who wants the Islamic hordes to destroy our freedom and take over... is that the point you are getting at issue?

The point is your assertion is bullsh1t, and just a way to avoid answering the question.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm

Gandalf would you say that the Islamic state that Muhammad created was the very antithesis of Islam?

Can the same also be said of the second half of the Quran?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2018 at 8:33am

polite_gandalf wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 2:42pm:

Islam is nothing short of violation, institutionalised violation of the human spirit. It is a violence perpetrated on the human soul.  Every aspect of it is detrimental to humanity.

If you disagree then you are invited to show the positive effects of Islam on the world.  I cannot think of any but if you can, let us hear it.

And please don't tell us about the golden age which was suppressed and ended by Muslims themselves in the name of Islam. We have heard that sorry excuse for today's Islam too many times already.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2018 at 10:44am

Islam is one of the religions that insists that only through it can one gain esoteric knowledge of the nature of reality. That works well for the clergy in a material sense, because it gives them status in society. The Human race is evolving, and the people who are willing to accept this idea of esoteric knowledge are intellectual throw-backs; mental midgets who do not really believe in equality, and for the very good reason that they are not.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:24pm

freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm:

The entire second half?

Thats a lot of verses FD - a bit more than the one chapter you have read.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:52pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 1:24pm:
freediver wrote on May 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm:

The entire second half?

Thats a lot of verses FD - a bit more than the one chapter you have read.

Half a verse. FD stopped at "Kill the mushriken wherever you find him..."

He hasn't read the bit after that.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:58pm

issuevoter wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 10:44am:
Islam is one of the religions that insists that only through it can one gain esoteric knowledge of the nature of reality. That works well for the clergy in a material sense, because it gives them status in society. The Human race is evolving, and the people who are willing to accept this idea of esoteric knowledge are intellectual throw-backs; mental midgets who do not really believe in equality, and for the very good reason that they are not.

It is most definitely not the only religion that insists one will gain esoteric knowledge and thus become more aware of the reality. Christianity puts forth this notion. The reality of life after death, the reality of dying into Gods love.

I agree they are becoming throwbacks in this increasingly secular world, that is beginning to negate most principles of religion

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - May 24th, 2018 at 5:41pm

goldkam wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 1:58pm:

It is most definitely not the only religion that insists one will gain esoteric knowledge and thus become more aware of the reality. Christianity puts forth this notion. The reality of life after death, the reality of dying into Gods love.

I agree they are becoming throwbacks in this increasingly secular world, that is beginning to negate most principles of religion

Unfortunately, their numbers are increasing.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 24th, 2018 at 6:59pm

Gandalf would you say that the Islamic state that Muhammad created was the very antithesis of Islam?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - May 24th, 2018 at 7:08pm

Up to a point.

There is NO way in Islam to gain esoteric knowledge other than repeating Mohammed's examples. Allah is a radically unknowable, often deceiving god. You cannot read the world to get a sense of his mind because he will deceive you as he deceived Mohammed and all before and after him. In Islam knowledge is bordering on blasphemy because it is seen as something that might confine Allah to be reasonable. This is unthinkable to a Muslim. (Jews and Christians are in constant dialogue with God).

That's why Mohammedans endlessly repeat the 'Allah knows best', 'Allah willing' verbal tick  (ie, 'Fck knows, mate'). Muslims cannot, must not, trust their own minds, knowledge, judgement, reason. Islam is anti-reason, pro-superstition.  It means Submission for obvious reasons. Don't think = rule 1.  Muslims live in this fog of self-imposed mental disablement and debilitation. You can see what it does to their societies, what it does to their interactions with others.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 24th, 2018 at 7:41pm

freediver wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 6:59pm:

Muhammed? Weren't we talking about Australia?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2018 at 7:55pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 7:41pm:

What is the Islamic state model for Australia, if not Mohammed's, shitologist?

Don't speak with your mouth full, though.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Frank wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 7:55pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 7:41pm:

What is the Islamic state model for Australia, if not Mohammed's, shitologist?

Don't speak with your mouth full, though.

You haven't seen the inbreeding map?

Oh, old boy, where have you been?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - May 25th, 2018 at 2:47pm

Frank wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 7:08pm:

Up to a point.

There is NO way in Islam to gain esoteric knowledge other than repeating Mohammed's examples. Allah is a radically unknowable, often deceiving god. You cannot read the world to get a sense of his mind because he will deceive you as he deceived Mohammed and all before and after him. In Islam knowledge is bordering on blasphemy because it is seen as something that might confine Allah to be reasonable. This is unthinkable to a Muslim. (Jews and Christians are in constant dialogue with God).

That's why Mohammedans endlessly repeat the 'Allah knows best', 'Allah willing' verbal tick  (ie, 'Fck knows, mate'). Muslims cannot, must not, trust their own minds, knowledge, judgement, reason. Islam is anti-reason, pro-superstition.  It means Submission for obvious reasons. Don't think = rule 1.  Muslims live in this fog of self-imposed mental disablement and debilitation. You can see what it does to their societies, what it does to their interactions with others.

Incorrect. The Quran specifically implores muslims to seek knowledge and gain and understanding of the world. The very fact that the Quran is light on details vis how to lead your life is a very big hint that God wants you to figure it out yourself. And indeed this very sentiment is spelled out specifically - many times throughout the book. Also, the Quran is basically one big dialogue between God and the reader.

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 2:47pm:
Frank wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 7:08pm:

Up to a point.

Incorrect. The Quran specifically implores muslims to seek knowledge and gain and understanding of the world. The very fact that the Quran is light on details vis how to lead your life is a very big hint that God wants you to figure it out yourself. And indeed this very sentiment is spelled out specifically - many times throughout the book. Also, the Quran is basically one big dialogue between God and the reader.

Bollocks. On stilts.

Hadith. Prescribed behaviour in every imaginable situation. Islam mean Submission because that's what it demands and that is its outer limit. Look at any Muslim site, it's endless questions directed to the 'authorities' in Islamic 'knowledge' like Al Hilali and other peasants about what to do in any and all situations in life. Thinking and discovery are utterly alien to Islam. The fear of apostasy, fatwah, violence paralyses Muslims. They know what's going to happen to them if they start thinking for themselves - they get killed.

As for Allah-Muslim dialogue - you are lying and you know it, Gandalf (the 'basically' is your attempt to cover your lying arse (Karnal will be along in a moment)). There is no listening Allah, there is no truthful, knowable, approachable Allah who can be known. Allah is unknowable. You can't have a dialogue with the numinous, not even 'basically'. But Allah is not even numinous. he is a gauche and laughable creation of Mohammed. The Koran is full of evidence of Mohammed's complete misunderstanding of Judaism, Christianity and anything else he came across. The Muslim response to this is to say that the Jews and Christians have distorted their teachings ahead of Mohammed's arrival.

And to think that you CONVERTED to this!!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:00am

polite_gandalf wrote on May 24th, 2018 at 12:21pm:
Lets not get carried away please. I never advocated an "Islamic state" - personally I find the idea antithetical to the spirit of the Quran.

Gandalf would you say that Muhammad "got carried away" with his creation of an Islamic state?

Were his actions antithetical to the spirit of the Quran?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #22 - May 31st, 2018 at 3:29pm

Frank wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm:
Hadith. Prescribed behaviour in every imaginable situation. Islam mean Submission because that's what it demands and that is its outer limit. Look at any Muslim site, it's endless questions directed to the 'authorities' in Islamic 'knowledge' like Al Hilali and other peasants about what to do in any and all situations in life. Thinking and discovery are utterly alien to Islam. The fear of apostasy, fatwah, violence paralyses Muslims. They know what's going to happen to them if they start thinking for themselves - they get killed.

If you think about it, the last two sentences are not logically consistent with the rest of the paragraph.

You start out by saying Islam is doctrinally opposed to free thinking and discovery, then conclude by saying muslims are paralysed from doing that from fear of death. So you leave open the possibility that at least some muslims want to be free thinkers, and presumably don't consider it anathema to their religion - only they are prevented from doing so by other muslims. Note you didn't say that muslims are 'paralysed' by their conviction that free thinking is anathema to their beliefs - merely that they are terrified by the intimidation of other muslims (and might otherwise be perfectly happy with fusing learning and discovery with their religion).

So once again, we see the usual flawed logic of framing Islam as what some muslims deem it to be while ignoring the rest.

Quote:

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 31st, 2018 at 4:17pm

Quote:
what some muslims deem it to be

Yeah silly nincompoops, every body knows that when the qur'an says to kill everybody, that's just islamic code for:

Tea and bickies 3 P.M., under the talking palm tree, to be followed by party games e.g. pin the tail on the flying donkey, who can squat the lowest while taking a leak, then the talking rock will give a seminar on how to cut clitorises out of little girls, all good harmless muslim fun.

The problem is no one wants to ascertain, how these highest grade of muslims can so easily take it to mean exactly what it says, then go out and kill people.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - May 31st, 2018 at 7:02pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 3:29pm:
You start out by saying Islam is doctrinally opposed to free thinking and discovery, then conclude by saying muslims are paralysed from doing that from fear of death. So you leave open the possibility that at least some muslims want to be free thinkers, and presumably don't consider it anathema to their religion - only they are prevented from doing so by other muslims.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/wiki/index.php?title=Faith_Ratchet

A faith ratchet, or ideological ratchet, is a belief system that incorporates a mechanism for preventing dissent. A faith ratchet grows in a fundamentally different way to most ideological movements. Rather than being adopted at a faster rate than it is abandoned, it grows by preventing people from abandoning it, meaning that the idea will spread no matter how slowly it is adopted, or how limited the circumstances are in which it is appealing. A faith ratchet typically presents two faces, one to the outside world to which it is attempting to appeal intellectually, and the other internally, where it employs a very different technique to maintain its grip. That is, the mechanism by which it spreads is very different to the mechanism by which it prevents abandonment. This article explains the analogy to a ratchet, then gives examples of a ideological ratchets in action, including the historical spread of Islam, Nazism and Communism.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 31st, 2018 at 8:12pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 3:29pm:
Frank wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm:

If you think about it, the last two sentences are not logically consistent with the rest of the paragraph.

You start out by saying Islam is doctrinally opposed to free thinking and discovery, then conclude by saying muslims are paralysed from doing that from fear of death. So you leave open the possibility that at least some muslims want to be free thinkers, and presumably don't consider it anathema to their religion - only they are prevented from doing so by other muslims. Note you didn't say that muslims are 'paralysed' by their conviction that free thinking is anathema to their beliefs - merely that they are terrified by the intimidation of other muslims (and might otherwise be perfectly happy with fusing learning and discovery with their religion).

So once again, we see the usual flawed logic of framing Islam as what some muslims deem it to be while ignoring the rest.

It's anathema to their religion, bozo, not to their humanity.  Other Muslims monster them and label them apostates and kill them simply because they think outside the straight-jacket of Mohammedan lunacy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - May 31st, 2018 at 8:18pm

Gandalf is right. It's the religion that is the problem, not the people.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #27 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 8:09am

When the religions sort out what they want to believe, call me.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:49am

Frank wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 8:12pm:
It's anathema to their religion, bozo, not to their humanity.  Other Muslims monster them and label them apostates and kill them simply because they think outside the straight-jacket of Mohammedan lunacy.

So I'm wondering why they 'think outside the straight-jacket of Muhammedan lunacy' in the first place - if its really "anathema to their religion".

Do you understand the logical fallacy yet?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:50am

issuevoter wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 8:09am:
When the religions sort out what they want to believe, call me.

'religions' think about what they believe do they issue?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #30 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:55am

moses wrote on May 31st, 2018 at 4:17pm:
Yeah silly nincompoops, every body knows that when the qur'an says to kill everybody, that's just islamic code for:

Tea and bickies 3 P.M., under the talking palm tree, to be followed by party games e.g. pin the tail on the flying donkey, who can squat the lowest while taking a leak, then the talking rock will give a seminar on how to cut clitorises out of little girls, all good harmless muslim fun.

The problem is no one wants to ascertain, how these highest grade of muslims can so easily take it to mean exactly what it says, then go out and kill people. 

Good point moses. Just like everyone knows that when the Quran says 'no compulsion in religion' and 'whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve' - it really means slaughter people for their beliefs.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:19pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:55am:
Good point moses. Just like everyone knows that when the Quran says 'no compulsion in religion' and 'whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve' - it really means slaughter people for their beliefs.

That's how Muhammad interpreted it.

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:49am:
So I'm wondering why they 'think outside the straight-jacket of Muhammedan lunacy' in the first place - if its really "anathema to their religion".

Do you understand the logical fallacy yet?

Because it is human nature Gandalf. Suppressing human nature is not the same thing as making it disappear. Where exactly is this logical fallacy?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:35pm

freediver wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Where exactly is this logical fallacy?

People are ideologically opposed to seeking knowledge while simultaneously seeking to do it - apparently.

Both you and Frank are evidently closed-minded to the possibility that some muslims think that pursuit of knowledge is "Islamic" - just because we know some don't.

Quote:

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 4:44pm

gandalf wrote: Reply #30 - Today at 11:55am

Quote:

But you see gandi the real issue is, the myriad of verses in the qur'an, which denigrate and despise people of differing beliefs.

That is what we are all talking about.

So the big question is:

When are you going to have an honest inquiry into the innumerable qur'an verses which are motivating muslims to perpetrate global human rights atrocities?

Or, when are you going to cut the bullshit gandi?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 6:40pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:35pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:19pm:
Where exactly is this logical fallacy?

People are ideologically opposed to seeking knowledge while simultaneously seeking to do it - apparently.

Both you and Frank are evidently closed-minded to the possibility that some muslims think that pursuit of knowledge is "Islamic" - just because we know some don't.

People are inclined to do all sorts of things that their ideology forbids. This is not a logical fallacy Gandalf. For the most part, the ideological exclusion makes sense when you consider the common good. In Islam's case, it makes sense from the perspective of further imposing Islam on people.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #35 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 11:42am

The logical fallacy is in saying that other people intimidate you to not behave in a particular way - therefore you are ideologically opposed to that behaviour.

To put it in terms you understand - its like saying that people who refrain from drawing cartoons of muhammad because they fear being killed for it - are ideologically opposed to drawing cartoons of Muhammad.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Quote:
The logical fallacy is in saying that other people intimidate you to not behave in a particular way - therefore you are ideologically opposed to that behaviour.

It is not a logical fallacy in the case of Islam. Islam follows up ideological opposition with stoning cheating child brides to death.

If a Muslim woman confesses to adultery in the hope of getting a better seat in Islamic heaven, and is promptly stoned to death, is she ideologically opposed to her own behaviour? Is there also a culture of violence that is a bit more effective in actually stopping her behaviour, as well as any other women who notice what is going on?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:11am

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 6:44pm:
If a Muslim woman confesses to adultery in the hope of getting a better seat in Islamic heaven, and is promptly stoned to death, is she ideologically opposed to her own behaviour?

Of course she is. But to equate that to why some muslims might choose to pursue knowledge and independent thought is patently absurd. Your logic boils down to nothing more than 'I know its wrong, but I can't stop myself from doing it'. You should reread my previous post, especially the Muhammad drawing analogy.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:58pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 11:11am:
freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2018 at 6:44pm:
If a Muslim woman confesses to adultery in the hope of getting a better seat in Islamic heaven, and is promptly stoned to death, is she ideologically opposed to her own behaviour?

Of course she is. But to equate that to why some muslims might choose to pursue knowledge and independent thought is patently absurd. Your logic boils down to nothing more than 'I know its wrong, but I can't stop myself from doing it'. You should reread my previous post, especially the Muhammad drawing analogy.

Where is this logical fallacy you were complaining about now? Has it disappeared? Is being ideologically opposed to your own innate tendencies, and being threatened with violence to back this up, now consistent with Islamic practice?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #39 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 4:23pm

freediver wrote on Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
Where is this logical fallacy

Put it this way - do you think cartoonists who feel intimidated into refraining from drawing the prophet are ideologically opposed to drawing Muhammad cartoons? It would be a logical fallacy to conclude they are agreed?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 5:59pm

I expect there are plenty around who do object, as well as feeling threatened.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #41 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:25am

you didn't answer the question FD.

It is a logical fallacy to ascribe those people's unwillingness to make Muhammad-mocking cartoons as an ideological opposition to Muhammad-mocking.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:02am

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:25am:
you didn't answer the question FD.

It is a logical fallacy to ascribe those people's unwillingness to make Muhammad-mocking cartoons as an ideological opposition to Muhammad-mocking.

No. It may be incorrect for those people it is incorrect for. But I still don't see the logical fallacy.

Perhaps you should make something up.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #43 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:48pm

freediver wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:02am:
No. It may be incorrect for those people it is incorrect for. But I still don't see the logical fallacy.

Drawing the false conclusion from the premise (muslims are ideologically opposed to free thinking because they don't do it out of fear of being killed for it) is the logical fallacy, it has nothing to do with whether or not anyone in that situation might happen to be also ideologically opposed to it. Its no different to saying cartoonists are ideologically opposed to drawing Muhammad because they refrain from doing it out of fear of being killed for it.

To dumb it down even more:
fear of retribution for doing something = ideological opposition to doing it
- is obviously a false conclusion - or as I call it, a logical fallacy

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 12:55pm

What's the difference between dumbing down and making up?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print