Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Barramundi industry on point of collapse. (Read 2335 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Barramundi industry on point of collapse.
Reply #15 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:02pm

Lord Herbert wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
miketrees wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 5:52pm:
$14 a kilo is not too much

That equates to just over a kilo of Rump Steak.

Boys, boys - that's the price to the producer..... the end price to the consumer is $40 a kilo.

Occasionally the local fish co-op has schoolie prawns cheap as chips - take a while to peel but very nice to eat... gotta get me that boat.... ten minutes to 'the outside' ... catch me some fish... flaties around here and bream and schnapper, jewies and lots of others...... don't forget to throw back the breeding females..... nah - lay them gently in the water until they swim away...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:12pm

BigOl64 wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 6:23pm:
Barra is a very over rated fish, and like shark is only really eaten when caught and never purchased. Not by anyone north of the Cap.

We get some good shark with our Fish 'n' Chips down here in Sydney, with the only problem being you have to go searching for the place that doesn't serve you old fish.

Same with Chinese restaurants that try to fob off old or cheap cuts beneath the thick battering of your Sweet 'n' Sour Pork. I've found the one honest chef in Sydney in this regard, and drop a few coins there every week of the year. Perfection.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:41pm

Lord Herbert wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
Quote:

"Commercial barramundi fishermen say their industry has all but collapsed in Australia, after the price for wild-caught fish plummeted this season.
Key points:

Barramundi prices have crashed by up to 40 per cent this season
    But while anglers are getting as low as $14 per kilogram, retailers have maintained prices close to $40 per kilogram.
    The poor returns could force the closure of the NT industry, one angler said

It has meant some have had to pull up the anchor and call it quits as the cost to go out fishing is just too high.

Fisherman Craig Van Lawick said that scarier still is not just the woeful pricing, but the fact demand seems to have dried up completely"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-17/barramundi-industry-collapses-in-nt-fisher...

I've had Barramundi twice only and felt it didn't deserve its reputation as a super seafood to put on the table.

These fellows should now go into exporting their catches to the swank restaurants of America and Europe.

There's no public demand here in Australia because the extra price is not justified in terms of comparison with the taste of all the other cheaper fishes found in the shops.

Why pay extra for its reputation that doesn't jig with the actual experience of eating it.

The humble Atlantic Cod slowly simmered in a pan of milk-and-butter and then sprinkled over with mint or other is just as satisfying experience.

You deserve to eat shyte .... F F S ... I bet you eat that tasteless turd pond chemically grown Vietnamese catfish called BASA to fool people like you.

Whilst wild caught Barra may have better rivals ... they would be other Aussie fresh fish ... not the imported shyte "cheaper" shyte you like.

As far as eating quality any barra wild or farmed is better than Basa or stinking old  frozen Atlantic cod prepared in any fashion.

In this matter you should return to blighty... you wouldn't know decent fish if it swam up your arse.  Wink

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Gnads wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
Quote:

"Commercial barramundi fishermen say their industry has all but collapsed in Australia, after the price for wild-caught fish plummeted this season.
Key points:

But while anglers are getting as low as $14 per kilogram, retailers have maintained prices close to $40 per kilogram.

It has meant some have had to pull up the anchor and call it quits as the cost to go out fishing is just too high.

Fisherman Craig Van Lawick said that scarier still is not just the woeful pricing, but the fact demand seems to have dried up completely"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-17/barramundi-industry-collapses-in-nt-fisher...

I've had Barramundi twice only and felt it didn't deserve its reputation as a super seafood to put on the table.

These fellows should now go into exporting their catches to the swank restaurants of America and Europe.

There's no public demand here in Australia because the extra price is not justified in terms of comparison with the taste of all the other cheaper fishes found in the shops.

Why pay extra for its reputation that doesn't jig with the actual experience of eating it.

The humble Atlantic Cod slowly simmered in a pan of milk-and-butter and then sprinkled over with mint or other is just as satisfying experience.

You deserve to eat shyte .... F F S ... I bet you eat that tasteless turd pond chemically grown Vietnamese catfish called BASA to fool people like you.

Whilst wild caught Barra may have better rivals ... they would be other Aussie fresh fish ... not the imported shyte "cheaper" shyte you like.

As far as eating quality any barra wild or farmed is better than Basa or stinking old  frozen Atlantic cod prepared in any fashion.

In this matter you should return to blighty... you wouldn't know decent fish if it swam up your arse.  Wink

Maybe if these fisherman  didn't go for the huge Chinese and Japanese buck we'd get to eat some of it down south. If they won't feed us the Vietnamese will.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:50pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
Personally I dislike the wild harvesting of barramundi. They string nets over the mouths of big rivers and catch fish heading upriver to spawn. I feel sorry for peoples livelihoods collapsing but farming is the way to go. We've already stuffed our fish stocks up enough.

Why? they are the best eating.

Netting across entire river & creek mouths is illegal in all states & they face big fines & confiscation of catch & equipment & boats.

There are also closed seasons to allow the migration to fresh water for spawning ... so that's crap.

Farmed barra tastes just like the muddy dark barra coming off the freshwater flood plains .... that's why people usually sport fish & let them go & pro fishermen don't target them.

The best eating barra are silvery & in salt water.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:52pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:46pm:
Quote:

Key points:

Maybe if these fisherman  didn't go for the huge Chinese and Japanese buck we'd get to eat some of it down south. If they won't feed us the Vietnamese will.

Not all our fresh fish go to export, even though a lot do.

But if you're prepared to eat contaminated BASA/Viet catfish then you're a dill.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:56pm

Gnads wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:50pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
Personally I dislike the wild harvesting of barramundi. They string nets over the mouths of big rivers and catch fish heading upriver to spawn. I feel sorry for peoples livelihoods collapsing but farming is the way to go. We've already stuffed our fish stocks up enough.

Why? they are the best eating.

Netting across entire river & creek mouths is illegal in all states & they face big fines & confiscation of catch & equipment & boats.

There are also closed seasons to allow the migration to fresh water for spawning ... so that's crap.

Farmed barra tastes just like the muddy dark barra coming off the freshwater flood plains .... that's why people usually sport fish & let them go & pro fishermen don't target them.

Look it up. The string nets across river mouths. It's the only time you get the bigger ones  in numbers. Barra spread out when they move upriver. Like I said- we don't get much saltie barra down south because it goes overseas. I've never seen Spanish Mackeral down here in my lifetime. God quality coral trout is another. Red Emperor is another. It all goes to asia. if these fishos don't have a domestic market it's their own fault.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2018 at 8:03pm by Mr Hammer »  

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:57pm

Gnads wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:52pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:46pm:
Quote:

Key points:

Not all our fresh fish go to export, even though a lot do.

But if you're prepared to eat contaminated BASA/Viet catfish then you're a dill.

Do you eat prawns?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:00pm

Barra is overrated, even the wild caught stuff.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #24 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
Barra is overrated, even the wild caught stuff.

Farmed is actually better because it's consistent day in day out.  It's handled better and the cold chain to restaurant is better.

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:09pm

That was also my understanding.

Fresh water fish are knaff

With the exception of marron, which is fantastic

There again I am  a Phil O`Stein because I love South West Salmon.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:11pm

miketrees wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:09pm:

That was also my understanding.

Fresh water fish are knaff

With the exception of marron, which is fantastic

Farmed trout is really good. It's cheap, snap frozen 5 seconds after its  cleaned and very consistent.

IBI

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:21pm

A lovely freshwater fish is our native eel tailed catfish. Pearly white sweet flesh. I used to let them all go but I keep one or two now. I like a nice slab of flathead cooked fresh in a nice beer batter.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:21pm:
A lovely freshwater fish is our native eel tailed catfish. Pearly white sweet flesh. I used to let them all go but I keep one or two now. I like a nice slab of flathead cooked fresh in a nice beer batter.

Tastes like mud, but slightly better than forktailed catfish.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:24pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:23pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 8:21pm:

Tastes like mud, but slightly better than forktailed catfish.

I catch them in the eastern flowing rivers and they are lovely. I really rate them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print