Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The BOONG'S IN WA WHITE WASHED (Read 2358 times)
FRED.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The BOONG'S IN WA WHITE WASHED
May 17th, 2018 at 11:16am

Wink'Aboriginal' redacted from birth, death, marriage certificates after being deemed an offensive term
By Rebecca Turner
Updated 22 minutes ago

Garry Smith sits on his lounge, holding documents which he claims have whitewashed his family history.
PHOTO: Garry Smith says his family's historical records have been whitewashed. (ABC News: Rebecca Turner)
RELATED STORY: Doubts cast over Noongar genealogy planRELATED STORY: Labor promises funding for Indigenous teachers
A West Australian bureaucrat has deemed the use of the term "Aboriginal" may be regarded as offensive and exercised a little-known power to redact it from birth, death and marriage certificates.

This means historians, native title claim groups and members of the public may be spending up to $49 to buy a document which may have historical detail like Aboriginality removed without their knowledge.

It has shocked historians, who were unaware of the practice and say Aboriginal is considered by most to be an inclusive term.

Aboriginal is a commonly-used term by governments around Australia, with several states — including WA — boasting ministers for Aboriginal affairs.

Emeritus professor of history at the University of Western Australia Jenny Gregory said she would write to the WA Attorney-General to request the practice be stopped.

Dr Gregory, who is also the president of the History Council of WA, said it was bizarre that the registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages was determining what people could know about their ancestors.

"Way back in the past people might have hidden their Aboriginality … it's now a source of pride for many people of Aboriginal descent today," she said.

"In my view, and I think most historians would agree with this, the registrar is tampering with history.

"He's making, if you like, fake histories."

Practice stirs up painful memories
Like many other local historians contacted by the ABC, Dr Gregory was unaware that the registrar has the legislative authority to issue a certificate without a term they regard could be offensive.

It was brought to the ABC's attention by two keen family historians, Perth man Garry Smith and his Queensland-based cousin, John Chandler.

About five years ago, Mr Smith were researching his history online and discovered documents about to his father's aunt and grandmother, which referred to them as "Aboriginal Jane" and "Kitty Aboriginal".

He visited the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Perth to buy copies of the certificates and was horrified to discover the word Aboriginal had been whited out.

Tattooed hands show the difference between the original birth certificate with the label Aboriginal and the redacted version.
PHOTO: Mr Smith points to the original birth certificate using the label Aboriginal (left) and the redacted version (right). (ABC News: Rebecca Turner)
He claims a staff member told him the term was offensive and had been removed.

Mr Smith, who does not consider the term Aboriginal offensive, was told he would have to fill out a statutory declaration to get a copy of the original document with the correct wording.

He said the experience made him feel sick, as if he should feel ashamed for being Aboriginal.

"If you're Aboriginal, it's offensive and deemed offensive — but the government calls us Aboriginals," he said.

For Mr Chandler, it was particularly painful to discover his identity in his middle-age and then have it removed by a bureaucrat.

He was brought up as "Spanish-Irish" because his gr

FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au FRED.bell58@yahoo.com.au  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: The BOONG'S IN WA WHITE WASHED
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:23am

And if a Republic is created where 'everyone' is made 'equal', it doesn't matter if you're first or last.

Will the word 'Aboriginal' denounce anyone who is also 'born' of this land?

The use of 'Native' Amerindians to 'denounce' others as having the right to be accepted by 'birth' of USA land, results in their own 'rejection' as being 'American'.

Republic = Australians
Aboriginal & British = Non-Australian

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2018 at 12:41pm

The government should not be playing the race card.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2018 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 12:41pm:

It seems they are removing it here - at what point are they right?

I must admit this is an intriguing issue... removing reference to Aboriginality from a birth certificate, but then I always was told that Boongs rely on a verbal history...

Lots of people have some Boong in them - I mean - in 1914 the Australian population was 64% men - would have to be a lot of Lubra shagging going on, or the nation was heavily gay... no wonder those French and Egyptian houses of ill repute did a roaring trade between 1914 and 1918 ....

Even the ugliest and least White sheila could get a bang.... like falling off a log...  I sometimes wonder if there could be a boong in the family woodpile.... maybe I could mek a lend claim, bro...

I wonder why some people make it such a big deal to be part Boong... it was just a throw between the sheets.... many on both sides of the argument wouldn't be here without a little illicit or un-sociable shagging...   Grin

Look at Johnny Depp - part White, part Amerinidian, and part Black.... and who honestly gives a damn?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2018 at 1:03pm

Looks like they are removing the race card to me. A persons race should not be designated on a birth certificate.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2018 at 1:05pm

rhino wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
Looks like they are removing the race card to me. A persons race should not be designated on a birth certificate.

Yes.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2018 at 4:59pm

First the Boongs want to ban you walking on their rock, now they want to charge you $49 to get their Bong documents.

How racist can you get?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:21pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 4:59pm:

First the Boongs want to ban you walking on their rock, now they want to charge you $49 to get their Bong documents.

How racist can you get?

All I've got is a birth certificate that has basic information. That's what people get. What right do they have to their own detailed info that sets them apart?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:36pm

Jasin wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 11:23am:
And if a Republic is created where 'everyone' is made 'equal', it doesn't matter if you're first or last.

Will the word 'Aboriginal' denounce anyone who is also 'born' of this land?

The use of 'Native' Amerindians to 'denounce' others as having the right to be accepted by 'birth' of USA land, results in their own 'rejection' as being 'American'.

Republic = Australians
Aboriginal & British = Non-Australian

What exact constitutional amendments do you propose, or are you just going to throw around the word "Republic," and leave it up to Canberra?

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:57pm

How racist can you get?

Since when was it 'their' rock, Kaffir Luvvah?  It belongs to Australia.... not some self-appointed group who never owned it in any way or did anything more than a few climb it just like everyone else, claiming a 'spiritual experience' - well gee golly whiz wow.....

Since when is it their rock?  Because some idiots in politics or public service decided they could get them 'working' by setting it up as a tourist attraction and then handing them the rights to operate it?   Huh

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:11pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 5:21pm:

How racist can you get?

All I've got is a birth certificate that has basic information. That's what people get. What right do they have to their own detailed info that sets them apart?

Does your birth certificate say you're white?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 6:57pm:

How racist can you get?

Since when was it 'their' rock, Kaffir Luvvah?  It belongs to Australia.... not some self-appointed group who never owned it in any way or did anything more than a few climb it just like everyone else, claiming a 'spiritual experience' - well gee golly whiz wow.....

Since the Hawke government gave it to them.

I know, I know, so unfair.

And so racist.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:16pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:11pm:

How racist can you get?

I'm curious.

nope.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:17pm

rhino wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 1:03pm:

What about Spanish-Irish? That should be okay.

And not racist.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:18pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:16pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 7:11pm:

How racist can you get?

I'm curious.

nope.

So how do we know you're not tinted?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print