Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good old Uber (Read 1124 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Good old Uber
May 16th, 2018 at 12:44pm

Sure, there are grubs among Cab drivers, but this stuff is getting more and more out of hand.

Quote:
‘If you like giving blow jobs’: Uber driver’s creepy text
by Frank Chung
16th May 2018 11:57 AM

A PERTH man says he feels "violated" after his Uber driver sent him a "creepy text" message asking for oral sex.

Jordan Pavlovski, 33, said he and a colleague used the app to take a 15-minute trip to their two separate homes last Wednesday.

The hair salon owner said the driver kept staring at him through the rear-view mirror, and after dropping off his colleague first, parked in Mr Pavlovski's driveway and watched him as he entered his home.

It wasn't until he got inside that he noticed a text message from the driver that said, "If you like giving blow jobs", with a mobile phone number attached.

"I was coming home from work and I had one of my staff members in the Uber as well," Mr Pavlovski told the Caters news service.

"I noticed that the Uber driver kept looking back at me in his rear-view mirror, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I had my colleague dropped off first. After he got out of the car, the Uber driver became more chattier and just kept wanting to talk and asking me how my day was.

"I didn't mind, but I was feeling quite tired at the time and so didn't really engage. After dropping me off, I was about to get out the car and the driver stopped me and asked me what my name was, to confirm that I was the one who had request the Uber.

"I thought it was a little odd. Then when I began walking up to my front door, I noticed that he just stayed parked in my driveway and was staring at me as I entered my home. I thought that was quite weird.

"But it wasn't until I got inside and checked my phone that I saw that he had actually sent me a text message asking for a blow job with his phone number. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I sort of laughed it off at first.

"But then after thinking about it for a while, it just made me feel violated and gross. The whole thing was really creepy. The worst part is that he knows where I live now, which makes me feel really uncomfortable."

Uber said it was investigating the incident and has apologised to Mr Pavlovski, who said he previously used the app 10-14 times per week but has only used it once since the incident happened. "This is something that I always hear of happening to girls, but not much to men," he said.

"I am openly gay, but that should never be an invitation. I don't know why he thought he could get away with this. It's not something that is ever really talked about, but I think it could happen more than people realise.

"There is a bit of stigma around sexual harassment and abuse towards men. I sometimes feel like it's not taken as seriously. I'm OK and I can deal with it, but I know for a lot of people, this kind of thing would have a huge impact.

"Some people wouldn't even feel safe leaving their house after something like this. I know this could happen anytime with other ride-sharing services, but at the moment I'm looking at other alternatives.

"People should report these things because who knows what else people like this are capable of. The more people ignore it, the more it goes unnoticed. Everyone should speak up."

In response to Mr Pavlovski's complaint, and member of Uber's community operations team said they were "sorry to hear about your experience on this trip". "We'd like to assure you that we are conducting a detailed review of the incident in relation to feedback," the representative said.

"However, we are unable to provide you details of the outcome as we have a strict privacy policy which prevents us from sharing account holder information without permission."

They added that they took the safety and wellbeing of riders seriously. "Under no circumstances should an [Uber] partner behave or treat you in a way that you feel unsafe or uncomfortable," they said.

"We do not tolerate violence, sexual misconduct, discrimination or threatening behaviour, drinking or substance use in any form on the Uber app. Uber is committed to safety connecting riders and partners, and we take reports like this seriously.

"We can assure you that appropriate steps are being taken."

It comes after police this week charged a Sydney Uber driver with the indecent assault of a 21-year-old woman, who got into the car in the early hours of Sunday with a male friend at a fast-food restaurant in Kingsford.

After the man was dropped off at his address, the woman remained in the car to be taken to her home in Hillsdale. Police allege the 27-year-old driver made inappropriate comments to the woman during the trip.

When arriving at the woman's home, the man allegedly reached over and indecently assaulted her, before following her into the complex and assaulting her further before she was able to escape and run away.

The man was arrested on Monday at a home in North Sydney. He was taken to Chatswood Police Station and charged with two counts act of indecency and two counts of common assault. He was granted conditional bail to appear at Manly Local Court on 31 May.

Uber described the incident as "upsetting" and said it had banned the driver.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Good old Uber
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2018 at 2:33pm

Well, I can see why the Uber Drivers are turning out to be sex fiends looking for an easy pickup - its not like they are making good money out of it.  Grin

I must say. I drove my first 'Point to Point' cab last night and I think it is an utterly crap system.
Justified only by saving the owner of the cab 'thousands' of $$$ by not registrating via a 'Meter'.  Roll Eyes
How the Government can justify thousands of dollars for the difference of a Meter and a piece of laminated paper with milage/cost written on it is beyond me?! Roll Eyes
Point to point is crap another 'cheap n nasty' alternative like Uber. It lowers the standard of service like cheap n' sleazy Uber.

If I turn the wrong street, I pause the meter until I'm back on track with the customer. Its good customer service. But with Point to Point, you can't pause the Trip-meter on dash and just have to 'guess' the cost for such things, even 'waiting' time. It's a ridiculous system.
But because its 'thousands' of dollars cheaper than the conventional Meter system...  Roll Eyes

Hope I'm in the metered Taxi tonight.  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2018 at 2:39pm

Jasin wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
Well, I can see why the Uber Drivers are turning out to be sex fiends looking for an easy pickup - its not like they are making good money out of it.  Grin

I must say. I drove my first 'Point to Point' cab last night and I think it is an utterly crap system.
Justified only by saving the owner of the cab 'thousands' of $$$ by not registrating via a 'Meter'.  Roll Eyes
How the Government can justify thousands of dollars for the difference of a Meter and a piece of laminated paper with milage/cost written on it is beyond me?! Roll Eyes
Point to point is crap another 'cheap n nasty' alternative like Uber. It lowers the standard of service like cheap n' sleazy Uber.

If I turn the wrong street, I pause the meter until I'm back on track with the customer. Its good customer service. But with Point to Point, you can't pause the Trip-meter on dash and just have to 'guess' the cost for such things, even 'waiting' time. It's a ridiculous system.
But because its 'thousands' of dollars cheaper than the conventional Meter system...  Roll Eyes

Hope I'm in the metered Taxi tonight.  Tongue

Explain how that point to point works.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2018 at 10:49am

You have a sheet of paper that is tables 1 - 19 with the cost incurred for Tariff 1 & 3.
eg: Travel 2 kms and its $10.90.
So you have to press your 'Trip' meter button (to Zero) on your dash at the start of each pick-up.
Say the person travels 1.6kms - its still $10.90
(Customer loses here, Taxi wins a tad extra)
If distance is 1.4kms = $8.20
(Customer wins, Taxi loses cost of .4kms)
If Taxi Driver makes wrong turn, the Trip count can't be paused and a 'guess' work is made in the effort not to charge the Customer.  Roll Eyes
If Taxi is waiting on a return journey, while customer is getting their Vodka from the BWS - a 'waiting time' is another 'guess'. Why not charge and extra $5 for just a few minutes? Huh
You can not make a 'print-out' of the Fare if required.
etc
etc.

It's a ridiculous lowering of Taxi Standard and also Customer Service as the Customer would be peeved (as would I) at not being able to see the 'exact' amount displayed.
What if the Customer realised he only had $20 and asked the cabbie to stop at $20??
Doing it via Point-to-Point would be ...pointless. Tongue

So the Govt has really stuffed the entire system up thanks to Uber.

As a Driver, its a 'tedious' system to employ and every driver tries not to get that taxi to use.

Customers & Drivers are being ripped off by P2P system.
All because it costs $thousands less for the owner to Register each year.
...how does the cost of Registering a Meter system be justified up to $7000 then? Huh Roll Eyes Angry

GOVT RIP-OFF & SCAM

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Alison Grosse

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:01am

Oh Jasin! Kiss

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:05am

Alison Grosse wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 11:01am:
Oh Jasin! Kiss

Will you kindly stop stalking me FreeDiver!!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2018 at 6:20pm

It just keeps coming.  Unrelenting.

Link.

Quote:
An Uber driver has been charged over the alleged indecent assault of a passenger in Sydney’s east.

Just before 1am on Sunday morning, a 21-year-old woman was with a man when they got into the vehicle at Kingsford.

The man was dropped off… but the woman continued onwards to her address at nearby Hillsdale.

The 27-year-old driver started making inappropriate comments before he allegedly reached over and indecently assaulted the woman.

He’s then accused of following her into her unit complex where she was again attacked, before managing to escape and run away.

The Uber driver from North Sydney was arrested on Monday and has been charged with two counts of indecency and two counts of common assault.

He’s been granted conditional bail and will face court later this month.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:51pm

Wish I'd known in advance.  ABC TV now ....Secrets of Silicon Valley.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:14pm

This is no story -

women get raped in taxis every day.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:16pm

Bobby. wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 10:14pm:
This is no story -

1.  Every day, Bobby?

2.  The TV story was about Uber and AirBNB.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:19pm

This is no story -

Taxis stink like poop.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:25pm

Aussie wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 10:16pm:
This is no story -

1.  Every day, Bobby?

2.  The TV story was about Uber and AirBNB.

Aussie,
don't feign innocence pretending to be naive.

Your story was about some poof who texted another poof -
big deal - who cares about that?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:28pm

Gordon wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 10:19pm:
This is no story -

Taxis stink like poop.

That's because drunks fart on the seats.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print