Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should the council's decision be upheld?

Yes    
  2 (66.7%)
No    
  1 (33.3%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Lord Herbert on: May 16th, 2018 at 12:15pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A move to regulate signage on 'Main Street' (Read 911 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

A move to regulate signage on 'Main Street'
May 16th, 2018 at 12:14pm

Quote:

"An inner-Sydney council proposal to regulate the language of shop signs has significant implications for multicultural policy.

Strathfield City Council recently voted for a motion that states:

All signage is to be displayed in the English language, with a direct or near direct translation into another language using smaller letters or character ... [which] must not exceed more than 30 per cent of the overall size of the English language text.

The proposal raises two important questions. Is English the "official language" of Australia? And what is the status of community languages other than English?
English is not the official language"

~~~~

"The 2016 Australian Census shows that more than 300 languages are spoken in Australia. In Sydney, 35.8 per cent of people speak a language other than English at home. Languages are part of the social fabric of everyday life in the city.

In Strathfield itself, 68.5 per cent of the households speak one of 58 languages in addition to English.

The biggest language groups are Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Korean, Tamil and Arabic.

These are not "foreign" languages in Strathfield; they are the everyday languages of a multicultural community".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/what-putting-english-first-means-for-multicultural-australia/9762578

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: A move to regulate signage on 'Main Street'
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:15pm

Poll added

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:24pm

Back in the 90s i went to cairns and noticed they had some signs in japanese with english in smaller letters underneath. IMO thats not right in an english speaking country.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:42pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 12:24pm:
Back in the 90s i went to cairns and noticed they had some signs in japanese with english in smaller letters underneath. IMO thats not right in an english speaking country.

Spot

Interesting.

Aussie would know this ... Most of the souvenir and jewelry shops on the Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise are specifically targeted at Japanese tourists who arrive by coach from Sydney and are literally herded into these shops to spend money which eventually gets back to Japan.

Everything is Japanese-owned so as to keep the tourist dollars eventually returning to Japan through a circuitous route.

The flight, the hotel accommodation, the coach-hire, the eateries, the souvenir and jewelry shops.

Speaking for myself I personally don't mind foreign script on shop windows and other business premises, but I do believe it should be a courtesy to this host country that these should be accompanied by an English translation in bigger fonts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print