Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Home remedies for cold's (Read 17923 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Home remedies for cold's
Reply #60 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:48pm

I was not saying that having rum and cokes would not raise the blood sugar levels. I was saying that the alcohol in the drinks did have a positive effect on killing a cold virus, shortening the lifespan of the cold. And I did not say that it was an immediate cure. Much like going outside helps sun exposure to build up vitamin D production. But you are probably one of those "it's the skin cancer! it's the skin cancer!" type people that thinks any sun exposure is bad exposure. It is not about drinking a heap of alcoholic drinks that need to be done to extreme in an effort to be cold free by the next day. It is about drinking enough, getting bed rest, and finding that the runny nose has ceased or diminished by the next day. We may be hung over, dehyrated, and have a higher blood sugar level. But it's a small price to pay for feeling better with our cold dissipated.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:51pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:48pm:
I was not saying that having rum and cokes would not raise the blood sugar levels. I was saying that the alcohol in the drinks did have a positive effect on killing a cold virus ...

Yes.

You're wrong, though.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #62 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:51pm

Much like going outside helps sun exposure to build up vitamin D production. But you are probably one of those "it's the skin cancer! it's the skin cancer!" type people that thinks any sun exposure is bad exposure.

Incorrect. But you only need about 20-30 minutes tops of sun exposure.

And I can find no peer-reviewed evidence showing the  effect of alcohol, so I'll leave it there.

Really, only thing for colds is stay hydrated, eat healthy, no alcohol, rest. Maybe some drugs to control the symptoms.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:56pm

THE FACTS

"When it comes to quick remedies for colds, many people insist that a glass of brandy or a hot toddy — whiskey with hot water and lemon juice — is just what the doctor ordered.

"It’s not difficult to see how mild inebriation might have the potential to relieve cold and flu symptoms, but so far no study has shown that alcohol has the ability to kill germs in the bloodstream or stop a cold in its tracks. And while alcohol may provide temporary relief, it can prolong symptoms by increasing dehydration."

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #64 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am

Had such a crappy night at work that I just had to try to kill my cold (that I did not have yet) to get over my mistakes and irritations.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 1:18pm

My body constantly heals and repairs itself

Repeat until it plays automatically while you're asleep and awake

Use it for everything

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #66 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:18am

put your coat on or you will catch your death - funny thing is its true- science backs this up-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:36am

Agnes wrote on Jun 6th, 2018 at 9:18am:
put your coat on or you will catch your death - funny thing is its true- science backs this up-

Especially if you are hungry as well as cold.  There's an axiom that goes "Feed a cold and starve a fever" and science would most likely explain to the outsiders that this is something to do with lack of glucose which reduces the ability of the cells to resist virii.

Keeping warm when you don't have a coat on in the cold weather uses glucose that would otherwise be there to resist invasion.  So, keep warm when you're hungry and keep fed when you're cold, or both.

A dangerous subject at a time like this.  God has a cruel sense of humour for people that give advice like I just did.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #68 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:52am

indeed and the stupid thing is I dont tend to wear enough warm clothing- left over from the days when I was a serf and lived on gruel-  and i have had some nasty illnesses because of it-pnuemonia twice/3 times- and one I just shook off (yesterday)  I have had it  for ( 2-3 weeks)- lucky I had a flue shot that didnt protect me against anything  at all but a nice warm jacket might have  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2018 at 8:20am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 9:00am

if you are prone to colds agnes you may be lacking in something.....some of these wacko diets leave out things our bodies actually need.to build up resistance...

nothing worse than not feeling quite right...

if you have been coughing a lot sounds daft but buy some Glen 20 and give your house a good spray....

your cats live inside   so you need to take extra care I dont like the sound of pneumonia more than once.....once the chest wall weakens life gets harder.....

dont mess around agnes  if you feel that tightening ..

flu shots only protect against full blown flu that will lay you out.....its got not a thing to do with warding off colds or others things.....

I think you need more than  home remedies....3 weeks is a long time...

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #70 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:35am

well Cods- I hear you can get a pnuemonia shot so Ill be getting that for start and making my immune system stronger for 2nd- and as for the cats I want to down size and I will- I have too many and they are becoming unmanageable

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:40am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:51pm:
Much like going outside helps sun exposure to build up vitamin D production. But you are probably one of those "it's the skin cancer! it's the skin cancer!" type people that thinks any sun exposure is bad exposure.

And I can find no peer-reviewed evidence showing the  effect of alcohol, so I'll leave it there.

Really, only thing for colds is stay hydrated, eat healthy, no alcohol, rest. Maybe some drugs to control the symptoms.
I believe there is a study done by one of the Scandanavian countries which directly correlates increased sun exposure to increased life expectancy. Ive never believed in the sun = skin cancer myth as propogated by the anti cancer run for vested interests industry and some other studies show that dietary factors show a stronger link to skin cancer than sun exposure by itself.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:09pm

Agnes wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:35am:
well Cods- I hear you can get a pnuemonia shot so Ill be getting that for start and making my immune system stronger for 2nd- and as for the cats I want to down size and I will- I have too many and they are becoming unmanageable

well thats a start... pneumonia shots never heard of them........I have two cats  both old...no more after this...as much as I love them  and they are company for me...looking after them  needs a younger person...lol

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 2:11pm

rhino wrote on Jun 8th, 2018 at 11:40am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 2:51pm:

I believe there is a study done by one of the Scandanavian countries which directly correlates increased sun exposure to increased life expectancy. Ive never believed in the sun = skin cancer myth as propogated by the anti cancer run for vested interests industry and some other studies show that dietary factors show a stronger link to skin cancer than sun exposure by itself.

I take vit D pill and have Vit B injections....what the heck have I been doing wrong???>....

its daft really we are all different  I lived in Wollongong when I was a lot younger and was always on the beach.... I wouldnt dream of it now....but I think I have had more than my share of the sun...yet I am low on Vit D.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #74 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 6:10pm

I am extremely low in Vit D- next time am at the drs-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13