Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Home remedies for cold's (Read 17510 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Home remedies for cold's
Reply #30 - May 27th, 2018 at 2:44pm

Only found out this morning that you don't heat honey above a certain temperature. Going over 45 degree Celsius makes the honey somewhat toxic. Which surprised me as I have been having lemon and honey mixed in my tea drinks.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #31 - May 27th, 2018 at 3:44pm

Well - it's decided then.

The cure is:

a tot of whisky,
a tot of rum,
2 cloves of garlic,
2 tablespoons of honey,
4 panadols &
30 drops of Laudanum.

Laudanum_bottle.jpg (123 KB | 24 )
Laudanum_bottle.jpg

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:10pm

At the first sign of a sniffle down a bottle of good quality OP rum, the alcohol kills any wogs, the side effect is a hangover.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #33 - May 27th, 2018 at 6:45pm

I have to laugh that so many of you believe that opiates were stopped being handed out as cold relief a hundred years ago.
Less than fifty years ago the chemist made up his own cough mixture which was primarily a mix of Opium Tincture, and Alcohol.
Mostly opium.
You could inject the opium tincture, but it was a very dark brown colour so you needed to know your veins, because you could not see if you were in by drawing back blood.
This was available well into the 70's, maybe even the eighties.
Chemists used to keep lots of raw opiates on hand to make various mixtures, in both liquid and powder form, these were almost all forms of morphine.
They even had one which was a hyperdermic tablet, that was a tablet so pure that it was dropped dry into the barrel of a syringe, and as soon as water was sucked in with it, it dissolved completely, particularly convenient, and what we would see if they ever decided to legalise heroin, as dose control is simple and accurate.
They also used to keep pure cocaine, which was a crystalline powder which was used primarily as a local anaesthetic, and very often for eye ointments. Scott of the antarctic and all early explorers carried pure cocaine tablets to pop onto their eyeball if they got snow blindness, or other painful conditions.

When these drugs were more freely available, many, if not most, of the very best and brightest were frequent and enthusiastic consumers.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - May 27th, 2018 at 6:50pm

Hi Mozzaok,

I didn't know that.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #35 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:03pm

Yes Bobby, and lots of things were simpler then, like doctors ending people's suffering by giving pain relief, and as I have mentioned before, ending the life of babies suffering massive deformities, and making up a story so the parents never knew. Some called it playing god, but the reality is there is no god, they were playing human, and exercising human compassion on a scale to be proud of.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #36 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:06pm

mozzaok wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 7:03pm:
Yes Bobby, and lots of things were simpler then, like doctors ending people's suffering by giving pain relief, and as I have mentioned before, ending the life of babies suffering massive deformities, and making up a story so the parents never knew. Some called it playing god, but the reality is there is no god, they were playing human, and exercising human compassion on a scale to be proud of.

Those were the good old days.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #37 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:23am

Johnnie wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 5:10pm:
At the first sign of a sniffle down a bottle of good quality OP rum, the alcohol kills any wogs, the side effect is a hangover.

Don't tell Barnacle that. He thinks that nothing can kill viruses. Just rest and recovery.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - May 28th, 2018 at 1:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 2:44pm:
Only found out this morning that you don't heat honey above a certain temperature. Going over 45 degree Celsius makes the honey somewhat toxic. Which surprised me as I have been having lemon and honey mixed in my tea drinks.

That's because it isn't true
All commercial Honey is pasteurised to kill any bacteria (much like milk is)

UnSubRocky wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 9:23am:

Don't tell Barnacle that. He thinks that nothing can kill viruses. Just rest and recovery.

Alcohol does not kill viruses unless you drink enough that would kill you first.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - May 30th, 2018 at 9:16am

The_Barnacle wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 1:02pm:

I hope you are right. I went back to using the honey with my lemon juice in my black tea. Having articles on the internet tell you one thing does not help.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - May 30th, 2018 at 8:49pm

Why do people believe this nonsense?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #41 - May 31st, 2018 at 2:05am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 8:49pm:

Why do people believe this nonsense?

Must be a Queenslander.... we'll sort them out come State of Origin 1 ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #42 - May 31st, 2018 at 2:09am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 9:16am:
The_Barnacle wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 1:02pm:

I hope you are right. I went back to using the honey with my lemon juice in my black tea. Having articles on the internet tell you one thing does not help.

Just don't boil the tea or add the honey and lemon juice at high heat.. it kills the good ingredients in the honey and the lemon.

Take it luke warm and not freshly boiled for maximum effect (filter first and then boil your water - jeez - look what they put in it unless you are on tank water - my IQ has dropped ten points since I went from tanks to town water, obvious from  my posts here... eeerrrhhh... duuuh)....

If you don't, the only benefit you will get is hydration.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #43 - May 31st, 2018 at 6:59pm

I think I might just go lemon and honey water. Keep the tea free of sweeteners and lemon juice.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 9:38am

Or you could do nothing and be clear of the cold just as quickly.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print