Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
"we need to value add" (Read 10780 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: "we need to value add"
Reply #45 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:06pm

There are also some wonderful advances in wicker basketmanufacturing these days. But they are still baskets made of wicker.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:08pm

freediver wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
Quote:
And you fail to take into account that there are less & less full time jobs available ... dump trucks in mining are being automated to become driverless as they are also doing to the giant Iron Ore trains in the Pilbara.

It's a one way ticket to the bottom ... the lowest common denominator.

We have been going in the same direction for several centuries, with the same doom and gloom prognosis every step of the way from people who cannot see the wood for the trees. But at the end of the day we have far higher employment rates at far higher wages.

you are spot on. Ive been hearing this doom and gloom prognosis for decades now and Australia has one of the highest standards of living, one of the best economies and is arguably the most desirable place on earth to live. We even have fabulous weather!

Maybe some of you should be a bit more grateful that you live int he worlds best country.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #47 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:16pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 11:41am:
Bobby. wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 11:36am:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 11:27am:
freediver wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 10:05am:
Actually, our beef and associated industries are booming because the new Chinese middle class is upgrading from locusts to steak. Third world countries do not import meat.

That's also where most of our iron ore is going. We are literally shipping whole mountains off to China.

and we are paying more for the finished imported goods from them and the rest of the world which is why we are in a mountain of debt !!

A debt that will never be repaid.

National Govt.  debt now nearly $629 billion.

http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/

Total private debt approaching 3 trillion or 3000 billion dollars. I doubt if making cups of coffee using imported coffee machines or mowing each others lawns is ever going to pay this off !!

And that is the point,

we need to add value to our exports.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm

freediver wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
There are also some wonderful advances in wicker basketmanufacturing these days. But they are still baskets made of wicker.

Really? Name one.

As far cars, the advances are in the THOUSANDS to the extent that there are barely comparable.

ARGUMENTUM AD ABSURDEM

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:24pm

Bobby. wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:16pm:
Actually, our beef and associated industries are booming because the new Chinese middle class is upgrading from locusts to steak. Third world countries do not import meat.

That's also where most of our iron ore is going. We are literally shipping whole mountains off to China.

and we are paying more for the finished imported goods from them and the rest of the world which is why we are in a mountain of debt !!

Total private debt approaching 3 trillion or 3000 billion dollars. I doubt if making cups of coffee using imported coffee machines or mowing each others lawns is ever going to pay this off !!

And that is the point,

You know we have a trade SURPLUS at present, dopey?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:31pm

Four pages in, and plenty of people have repeated this claim that we "need" to value add, but not a single person can explain why.

longweekend58 wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:23pm:

Really? Name one.

As far cars, the advances are in the THOUSANDS to the extent that there are barely comparable.

ARGUMENTUM AD ABSURDEM

You can get chips in them.

Cars are still old technology, no matter how many bells and whistles you add. That's why they are increasingly made in developing countries. No country "needs" to make them.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #51 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:37pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:24pm:

And that is the point,

Don't call me dopey - Longloser.

We would need some very large & long surpluses to pay off  $629 billion.

PS - & that is only Govt. debt.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:38pm

freediver wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
Four pages in, and plenty of people have repeated this claim that we "need" to value add, but not a single person can explain why.

Really? Name one.

ARGUMENTUM AD ABSURDEM

Cars are still old technology, no matter how many bells and whistles you add. That's why they are increasingly made in developing countries. No country "needs" to make them.

Thats an absurd statement. COmputers are old technology too by that reasoning. They are no different from the first programmable device.

I guess it explains a lot about you. I assume you either dont drive or your car comes from the 30s

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:39pm

Bobby. wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:37pm:
longweekend58 wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:24pm:

And that is the point,

Don't call me dopey - Longloser.

We would need some very large & long surpluses to pay off  $629 billion.

PS - & that is only Govt. debt.

ONly govt debt is govt concern. And we had zero debt before Rudd and Gillard. And they left a mess that the Libs are only just now looking like getting under control.

And sorry... but you ARE dopey. If you dont want to be called dopey then either talk to your mother only or stop being dopey.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:47pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
freediver wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:31pm:

Really? Name one.

ARGUMENTUM AD ABSURDEM

Thats an absurd statement. COmputers are old technology too by that reasoning. They are no different from the first programmable device.

I guess it explains a lot about you. I assume you either dont drive or your car comes from the 30s

Computers are not as old as cars.

Cars are, just like the model T, rubber tyres on steel rims driven by an internal combustion engine running the same thermodynamic cycle, with a padded seat to sit on and a steering wheel to control it. Adding a bucket of computer chips and getting a smoother surface doesn't really change the fundamentals of what they are, any more than putting an RFID chip on a wicker basket makes it a new technology.

There is no rational explanation why we "need" to make them here. It is just the emotional attachment to what used to be a symbol of the first world.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #55 - May 13th, 2018 at 1:55pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 1:39pm:
ONly govt debt is govt concern. And we had zero debt before Rudd and Gillard. And they left a mess that the Libs are only just now looking like getting under control.

And sorry... but you ARE dopey. If you dont want to be called dopey then either talk to your mother only or stop being dopey.

My Mother is dead.
Govt. debt is all our concern.
The interest bill is about $16 billion a year -
that's money that can't be spent on more important things such as hospitals, schools and yes
wait for it:
value adding to our exports.

This country should be called moronia -
it's full of losers.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Bobby....name one natural raw product that we can value add to and be competitive in an international market.

We can't even competitively make cars here as we once did.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #57 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:35pm

Aussie wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 2:06pm:
Bobby....name one natural raw product that we can value add to and be competitive in an international market.

I already gave 3 examples in the OP:

Steel - not iron ore.
Uranium fuel rods - not Yellowcake.
Woolen clothing - not bales of wool.

Would you like to add to the list?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:37pm

So why aren't you making a fortune doing so Bobby?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:38pm

Bobby. wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 2:35pm:
Aussie wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 2:06pm:

I already gave 3 examples in the OP:

Steel - not iron ore.
Uranium fuel rods - not Yellowcake.
Woolen clothing - not bales of wool.

Would you like to add to the list?

My request included the condition......and be competitive in an international market.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print