Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
"we need to value add" (Read 10779 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: "we need to value add"
Reply #135 - May 16th, 2018 at 4:13am

rhino wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
I dont see why we have some urgent need to export manufactured goods like cars and cheap TVs. We have an almost inexhaustible supply of land, the technology to farm the land for clean food and an enormous export market desperate for our product. witness the demand for Australian made baby formula in China. We need to ditch the mindset that we are somehow need to compete with the Chinese in manufacturing cheap electronics and textiles, that way will lead to 3rd world.

That's the dumbest statement you've made. Grin Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - May 16th, 2018 at 4:14am

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #137 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:57am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 11:04pm:
I dont see why we have some urgent need to export manufactured goods like cars and cheap TVs. We have an almost inexhaustible supply of land, the technology to farm the land for clean food and an enormous export market desperate for our product. witness the demand for Australian made baby formula in China. We need to ditch the mindset that we are somehow need to compete with the Chinese in manufacturing cheap electronics and textiles, that way will lead to 3rd world.

Then why are we importing truck loads of food produce ? Just check your woolies and coles isles and see where it comes from lately ?

We are a net food exporter, by a wide margin. We import some food, because, being filthy rich (from exporting what is most profitable rather than what someone down at the pub thinks we "need" to export), the seasons and climatic fluctuations don't affect what we eat. We just ship it in from the other side of the world if we want it now.

Quote:
I don't know what more you'll find in a bunch of words on a website compared to someone actually turning up at a mall and comprehensively filming it in covert fashion to show how many of the shops and businesses have been closed down. And this is not just one isolated case either. This pattern is repeated across the whole of the US !! Many of these videos also compare footage of when the malls were first opened and how busy they were !!

Yes, videos are great for eliciting an emotional reaction to bypass people's inclination to think, but what is your point?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #138 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:29am

freediver wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 5:57pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
But FD - we need to add value to what we export.

We need to sell steel not iron ore.

We need to sell Uranium fuel rods - not Yellowcake.

We need to sell woolen clothing not bales of wool.

Sir lastnail wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 10:17am:
Yes you need a manufacturing base or value added industries otherwise there is no way we can sustain our standard of living without going into more and more debt.

Why?

The Australian success (because we are a very wealthy nation, in regards to population) is mostly through 'Quality over Quantity'.
Australia has got rid of a lot of 'mass-production' Manufacturing, because its over-heads minimalise the profit margin considerably and we don't really need that 'cheap Asian labour' here anyway  Wink Cheesy

Of course, there is the argument that the only reason why Australia is a 'wealthy' nation...
...is because the Liberal Party always makes sure that Australian women are all out there 'working' and not making babies. Not that one can afford 'kids' in this very expensive part of the world. Hence the explosion of little white fluffy dogs instead.  Roll Eyes

It's easy to be rich, when you're Gay.  Wink
That's Australia!  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:47am

Gnads wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 4:09am:
freediver wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 8:16pm:
Would you prefer they paid the UK or NZ for their degrees?

Quote:
If you are just going to make the same old sh.,t as everyone else then it is just a race to the bottom.

Agreed. That's where we get a lot our export income from, once you take out primary products. We even export a lot of parts to the auto industry.

They're charging our own citizen youth $100,00 for a degree .... then they can't get work.  Roll Eyes

Add to that they are bringing in a truck load of foreigners to take those jobs Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #140 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm

Let's try this again.

Who would prefer those students went to some other country to get their expensive degrees? I am not asking for your emotional response. I am asking you to gauge your critical thinking skills. Why is it that those who demand value adding are so opposed to this valuable export?

Who here would take a pay cut in order to do a factory job competing directly against Chinese labourers in one these value adding industries they consider to be so necessary?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Sir lastnail wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Gnads wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 4:09am:
freediver wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 8:16pm:
Would you prefer they paid the UK or NZ for their degrees?

Quote:
If you are just going to make the same old sh.,t as everyone else then it is just a race to the bottom.

Agreed. That's where we get a lot our export income from, once you take out primary products. We even export a lot of parts to the auto industry.

They're charging our own citizen youth $100,00 for a degree .... then they can't get work.  Roll Eyes

Add to that they are bringing in a truck load of foreigners to take those jobs Sad
Yes, and that needs to change. Big business has been allowed to get away with importing skilled migrants instead of training locals for too long, its been happening in the mining industry forever.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:59pm

Gnads wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 4:13am:

That's the dumbest statement you've made. Grin Roll Eyes
Your focus on semantics doesnt help your knowledge base.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #143 - May 16th, 2018 at 7:39pm

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #144 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:34pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm:
Let's try this again.

Who would prefer those students went to some other country to get their expensive degrees? I am not asking for your emotional response. I am asking you to gauge your critical thinking skills. Why is it that those who demand value adding are so opposed to this valuable export?

Who here would take a pay cut in order to do a factory job competing directly against Chinese labourers in one of these value adding industries they consider to be so necessary?

Strawman fallacy.
No one here would work for a bowl of rice per day &
no health & safety rules.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #145 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:23pm

Bobby. wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
Let's try this again.

Who here would take a pay cut in order to do a factory job competing directly against Chinese labourers in one of these value adding industries they consider to be so necessary?

Strawman fallacy.

I am not asking if they would. I am asking if they would take a pay cut.

Would you?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #146 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:34pm

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 10:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
Let's try this again.

Strawman fallacy.

I am not asking if they would. I am asking if they would take a pay cut.

Would you?

No way - things cost too much here.
Not many people could live properly unless they earn at least $600 per week after tax.
Even that is the poverty line in Australia in the big cities.
I suppose if you don't mind baked beans on toast every night for dinner
you could live on less that that.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #147 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:40pm

So you insist we "need" these industries, but you would not be willing to work in them at a salary that would make us competitive, presumably because you are getting paid more doing something more profitable.

Do you think other people "need" to take a pay cut to get these factories up and running?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #148 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:52am

What we need, is some equality.
Why do doctors need to charge so much when what they do is simple enough?
Why do drug companies charge hundreds of thousands of dollars for a mixture of chemicals?
Why do politicians, senior public servants get paid so much, when they are just doing a job......badly?
Why do bank managers and other highly paid men need millions of dollars a year to do a job?

We are paying g for all these excesses with high prices and ridiculously high taxes

One should not ask the worker to take a pay cut

One should ask/ demand that  these overpaid people get real and help drive down the cost of living?

Do banks and other industries need to make billions in profits every year?

It's all just greed

After all, didn't the pollies say they could live on $40.00 a day.
Then make them.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #149 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:23am

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 10:40pm:
So you insist we "need" these industries, but you would not be willing to work in them at a salary that would make us competitive, presumably because you are getting paid more doing something more profitable.

Do you think other people "need" to take a pay cut to get these factories up and running?

I already explained that it costs more to live here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print