Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 
Send Topic Print
Tesla crash battery burns people alive (Read 56616 times)
juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tesla crash battery burns people alive
Reply #525 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:24pm

Slightly bent Tesla S
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:33pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #526 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 5:28am

juliar wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 4:58pm:
The technically bereft trolls may as well stay hidden under the floor boards as this technical stuff would cause their delicate "brains" to swell and implode.

Is it practical to charge an electric car with solar panels ?

so this is saying the solar panels I have on my roof will charge a Tesla 3 for 35km's a hour, so in 3 hours it will do me 100km's more than enough for daily driving. Good article Jules thanks  Wink

How Many Solar Panels Do You Need To Charge An Electric Car?
October 5, 2017 by Ronald Brakels 28 Comments

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/car-plug-house.jp...
dude charging his car with solar

If you are thinking of buying an electric car and have solar then you need to read this.

I recently wrote about how an electric car revolution is coming thanks to declining battery costs and rising environmental concern.  I made a promise in that article I would soon write about charging electric cars with rooftop solar and soon is now.  Or at least it soon will be.

One concern that came up in the comments was whether people could fit enough panels on their roof to charge an electric car.  But the good news is a car that’s driven the average distance for an Australian passenger vehicle is likely to require less than 8 kilowatt-hours a day.  This means for most households 2 kilowatts of solar panels will produce more electrical energy over the course of a year than an electric car will consume.  Most homes can fit 2 kilowatts of panels on their roof in addition to enough panels to equal or exceed household electricity consumption.

The bad news is 56% of Australian families have 2 or more cars.

Electric Car Kilowatt-Hour Consumption
The number of kilometers an electric car can drive per kilowatt-hour of stored electricity varies.  Fortunately, it is easy enough to use US Environmental Protection Agency figures to determine range per kilowatt-hour of battery storage1.  Some examples are:

Tesla Model 3:  7 kilometers
Chevolet Bolt:  6.4 kilometers
Mitsubishi i-MiEV:  6.3 kilometers
2016 Nissan Leaf:  5.7 kilometers
Tesla S sports car:  5.3 kilometers

Because electric cars won’t allow their battery to go completely flat to protect it from deterioration, the real kilometers per kilowatt-hour are slightly higher, but it should make little difference, as modern electric cars don’t leave much juice in the electric juice pack once they hit zero kilometers of remaining range.

Unlike the range figures that come from Europe or Japan, the US ones are reasonably realistic and it is possible for a normal driver to replicate them or even do better if they’re careful.  But if your driving style consists of alternating between stomping on the accelerator and stomping on the brake then I’m afraid you’ll do much worse, while if you someone who drives like you are gently making love, then you’ll probably be arrested and I strongly recommend getting the tinted windows option.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/elcar.jpg
It is possible to now buy electric cars that look even better than they did in the 70s. (It’s impossible to find pants that good though.)

Charging Losses
The figures above are for energy that’s already in a car battery pack.  Unfortunately, some energy is always lost squeezing it in there in the first place.  Losses occur from changing household AC power into the DC power car battery packs need to charge2 and energy is lost by the batteries themselves as they charge.

This study from 2014 found charging a Nissan Leaf was only 84% efficient when slowly charging from a from a standard US power point3 and 89% when a home charger that provides more power was used.

As most people are likely to use a home charger rather than just plug into a power point, 90% efficiency seems like a good rule of thumb for charging, especially since modest improvements in efficiency are likely.  Mind you, it will vary depending on the car and situation.  I have read some truly atrocious estimates for the Tesla S sports car.  Hopefully their new Model 3 will do better, as it is designed for people who are not entirely made of money.

If you buy a car that gets 7 kilometers per kilowatt-hour of battery pack charge and take care to drive reasonably efficiently, then you are likely to get 6.3 kilometers per kilowatt-hour of electricity you charge it with.  If you are a bit of a sloppy driver, and I think most of us are, you may only get 5 kilometers per kilowatt-hour.

Read the depressing rest of the flat battery stuff here

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/charging-electric-cars/

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #527 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 5:28am

juliar wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:24pm:

so didn't anyone burn alive in this accident Jules ? Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #528 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 2:39pm

The impaired troll keeps trying to convince everyone he/she is really impaired. Silly fool is utterly stonkered by all this incomprehensible technical stuff which makes his/her battered brain bleed.

Very common front end Tesla X smash - the still experimental "cars" have this nasty habit of suddenly accelerating without warning!!!!

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #529 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:22am

juliar wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
The impaired troll keeps trying to convince everyone he/she is really impaired. Silly fool is utterly stonkered by all this incomprehensible technical stuff which makes his/her battered brain bleed.

https://cs.copart.com/v1/AUTH_svc.pdoc00001/PIX133/bebce382-1f64-46f5-9afe-c470a...
Very common front end Tesla X smash - the still experimental "cars" have this nasty habit of suddenly accelerating without warning!!!!

Ohh the Experimental Tesla.... they now sell more than BMW in USA.... maybe a new line needed there Jules  Wink
EV's don't have a cable, so sensor plates for the brake and accelerator pedal, if one is pressed the other stops… Remember all of tesla car record everything they do and not one has accelerated without warning  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #530 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:57am

The unhinged troll should stay under the floor boards.

Ignoring the incoherent splutters of the impaired and back to the last moments in a Tesla funeral car.

Two Killed In Violent Tesla Model S Crash That Triggered Massive Fire
BY BRAD ANDERSON | POSTED ON NOVEMBER 4, 2016

How to end it all in  fiery Tesla S CRRRAAASSSHH!!!

Two people have been killed in a violent Tesla Model S crash in Indianapolis that led to a raging fire.

WTHR reports that 27-year-old driver Casey Speckman and her passenger 44-year-old Kevin McCarthy were killed when the car crashed into a tree. Speckman was pronounced dead at the scene while McCarthy passed away shortly after in hospital

Eyewitnesses claim the Model S was traveling at a high speed prior to the fatal impact.

Video from the scene shows the electric sedan engulfed in flames shortly after the crash with components seen exploding as fire crews attempt to put out the fire.

Speaking at a press conference after the crash, IFD Battalian Chief Kevin Hones confirmed that local fire fighters are trained on how to deal with hybrid and electric vehicle fires, although he did say that there were some difficulties in extinguishing the blaze as there were battery cells strewn throughout the scene which caught fire.

Jones also said that for impacts of this severity, it is common for vehicles to ignite, whether they are electric, hybrid or powered by petrol or diesel.

VIDEO: How to meet your maker in a Tesla S

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/11/two-killed-in-violent-tesla-model-s/

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #531 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:09am

Now a very common problem with all electric inconveniences - a very flat battery. Range anxiety on steroids.

This Is What Happens When Your Tesla’s Battery Dies
BY BRAD ANDERSON | POSTED ON MARCH 12, 2017

Nothing quite sets off range anxiety than the ultimate flat battery

If you have an ICE car and leave it sitting around for days, weeks or months, it will have the same amount of fuel in it as when you left it. One Tesla Model S recently discovered that this isn’t the case with the electric sedan.

The owner of the Model S in question from the ‘What’s Inside? Family‘ YouTube channel left his Model S parked at an airport for four days with 30 miles left on its range. However, when he and the family returned, the car’s battery was completely dead.

The solution? Calling a tow truck company and having the car towed back to his house where it could be charged.

Interestingly, Tesla does have a fall back if this happens to its owners. For those who own the pre-facelift Model S, the black front fascia can be removed to expose the positive and negative terminals for a small 12V battery. In theory, this battery can then be charged with jumper cables like any other car and ultimately power up the vehicle’s electronics, motors and battery pack.

VIDEO:My Tesla battery died

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/this-is-what-happens-when-your-teslas/

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #532 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:34am

Even George couldn't stomach the still experimental untested broken down Tesla. At least it didn't burn him alive!!!!

George Clooney Says His Tesla Roadster Was Unreliable, Elon Musk Tweets Cheeky Reply
BY CARSCOOP | POSTED ON NOVEMBER 18, 2013

Tesla models and environmentally friendly vehicles in general (especially the Prius), are some of Hollywood stars’ favorite cars. While many of these celebrities choose green cars from conviction, others simply do it because it’s trendy, but we won’t get into that discussion right now.

One of the movie stars who owned a Tesla is George Clooney. As a matter of fact, the actor was one of the first Tesla customers, but it looks like the electric car brand didn’t leave a good impression on him. In an interview with Esquire magazine, Clooney said he had to sell his Tesla Roadster because it was not very reliable.

“I had a Tesla. I was one of the first cats with a Tesla. I think I was, like, No. 5 on the list. But I’m telling you, I’ve been on the side of the road a while in that thing, and I said to them, ‘Look, guys, why am I always stuck on the side of the f*#@ing road? Make it work, one way or another,’” Clooney said in the interview, without offering details about the car’s specific faults.

The actor sold his Tesla Roadster at an auction last year for $99,000 and donated the money for charity. Of course, since he owned one of the early models, it is only natural the car had some “childhood” problems.

As always when someone says something bad about Tesla Motors, CEO Elon Musk was quick to reply. The executive ironically tweeted “In other news, George Clooney reports that his iPhone 1 had a bug back in ’07,” an allusion to inherent problems when a new product is launched on the market.

By Dan Mihalascu

https://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/george-clooney-says-his-tesla-roadster/

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #533 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:47am

Man goes to the Promised Land in his Tesla S funeral car. Do NOT forget the fire extinguisher if you are game enough to get into a Tesla Hearse and sit on the lithium fire bomb.

Tesla Model S Driver Dies After High Speed Crash And Fire In The Netherlands
BY BRAD ANDERSON | POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2016

A 53-year-old man has died after crashing his Tesla Model S at high speed in the town of Baarn in the Netherlands.

According to local Dutch media outlet RTV NH, the electric sedan caught fire immediately after the impact and by the time fire crews arrived on the scene, the driver is believed to have already been killed.

Due to the severity of the crash, local firefighters had difficulty in initially extinguishing the fire without being electrocuted.

According to firefighter spokesman Ronald Boer, “If the car was on four wheels, the fire brigade normally has no difficulty to turn off the batteries. However, this car is completely destroyed, hampering the recovery. In this situation, you never know what can happen.”

It is thought that some of the battery modules from the vehicle’s floor pan fell from the battery pack and caught fire, thus causing the aforementioned difficulties. Consequently, employees from Tesla were dispatched to the scene and advised the fire department how to salvage the body without being electrocuted.

Tesla has confirmed that it has launched an investigation into the accident and will release further information when it discovers all the facts.

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/tesla-model-s-driver-dies-after-high/

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #534 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:11am

Yeh don't forget the fire extinguisher if you own a jeep Wink

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-verdict-jeep/u-s-jury-awards-15...

U.S. jury awards $150 million for Jeep fuel-tank fire death

Quote:
A U.S. jury in Georgia on Thursday awarded $150 million to a family that sued Chrysler Group LLC for the 2012 death of their 4-year-old in a fiery crash involving a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a rear fuel tank.

Following a nearly two-week trial in Decatur County, Georgia, jurors said Chrysler, a unit of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, was liable for the death of Remington Walden and failed to warn customers that the tank’s position could increase the risk of fire in a rear-end crash.

Chrysler previously recalled 1.56 million Jeep SUVs with rear fuel tanks, although the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee in which Walden was riding was not among them.

The jury, which began deliberating Thursday afternoon, said Chrysler acted with “reckless and wanton disregard” and ordered it to pay 99 percent of the damages. The driver of the vehicle that rear-ended the Grand Cherokee was responsible for the other 1 percent.

Walden was killed when the Jeep he was riding in was struck from behind, rupturing the fuel tank and creating an “inferno,” according to Jim Butler, a lawyer for the family. Had the fuel tank been placed farther forward on the vehicle, he said, it would have been better protected.

Concerns over fuel-tank placement prompted Chrysler to announce in 2013 that it would recall 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees, along with the Jeep Libertys from model years 2002-2007. The company also said it would conduct a “customer satisfaction campaign” for 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees.

The announcement came after Chrysler initially denied there was a safety issue. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has linked more than 50 deaths to the fuel-tank issues.

Chrysler’s lawyers said at trial that the fire did not cause Walden’s death and blamed the driver of the other vehicle. Fiat Chrysler Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, whose pre-recorded testimony was played during trial, said that regulators never found a defect in the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and that there was no evidence the vehicle was dangerous. Reuters viewed the proceedings on Courtroom View Network.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #535 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:16am

And the impaired unhinged troll crawls out from under the floor boards to display his/her IGNORANCE.

The inevitable is coming - sky high insurance for crash prone Tesla coffin cars.

This is what happened back in the 70s when the American muscle cars hit the streets and crashed often.

CRRAAASSSSH  WHHOOOSSSH!!!!!! Up she goes!!!!! And the insurance goes up to.

Insurers may raise rates for Tesla owners. Claims are running much higher than for similar cars
By James R. Hood 06/05/2017

Tesla owners are saving money on gas, but they may soon be spending more for insurance. Automotive News reports today that AAA Insurance is raising its rates for Tesla Models S and X, based on data showing the electric luxury cars have abnormally high claim frequencies.

AAA says that based on the number and severity of accidents, premiums on the cars should go up 30 percent. Tesla disputes that.

"This analysis is severely flawed and is not reflective of reality," said the electric-vehicle maker, according to the report. "Among other things, it compares Model S and X to cars that are not remotely peers, including even a Volvo station wagon."

An AAA official said the firm noticed the high claim rates in its own data and then investigated other sources, including the Highway Loss Data Institute. Finding a similar pattern of elevated claims there, AAA instituted the rate increase.

The institute classifies the Model S as a large luxury vehicle, in the same class as the Volvo XC70, Audi A6, Mercedes-Benz E class, and BMW 5 series. Comparing claims for cars in that class, it found the frequency and severity of Tesla claims to be "much higher than usual."

More claims, higher costs
In other words, there are more claims than for similar cars and the repair costs are higher than normal.

This fits with the experience of ConsumerAffairs reader Thomas of Thousand Oaks, Calif., who said in a recent review it's "worse than you can imagine."

"I've owned a Tesla for 3 months and was hit going about 2 mph -- scratched the front bumper and wheel and tire went flat," he said. 'Tesla Centinela' connected me to DC Autocraft. I asked for an estimate. They said they couldn't, as they had tow charges (tire flat), costs of storage, and other charges. I texted them notifying them that I'd pay for tow if they provided an estimate. They agreed. It's been two weeks, I still don't have an estimate but they're indicating that it would be more than $10,000 to fix - crazy ripoff."

Thomas found that Allstate's experience with Teslas was similar to AAA's.

"I spoke to my Allstate agent and filed a claim. The Allstate adjuster said that Teslas are a big problem. The lowest estimate that he'd approved is $7,000 and it takes weeks or months more to fix a Tesla -- the 'approved' body shops are all backed up and have no parts."

Bevila of Tucson had similar issues with her Tesla.

"Our car was damaged in an accident (I fully believe it was a car malfunction versus "driver error" even though they refuse to accept responsibility) and has been in one of their approved auto body shop for over a month and a half for repairs," she said. "The auto body shop says they have received 2 parts so far and hasn't started work."

Tesla's rejoinder
Tesla said the high rate of acceleration in both the Model S and Model X make it "false and misleading" to compare against vehicles such as the XC70, adding that the Model S also holds the lowest likelihood of injury, according to an evaluation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

That may well be, but for consumers like Thomas, who have invested a lot more in their Teslas than just the purchase price, such promises may come too late.

"To prepare for electric, I've spent $8,000 rewiring my house, putting in a Wall connector and getting ready to put in $70,000 of Tesla solar panels. After this experience, I'm selling this Tesla and getting a real car on which I can depend -- not a toy," he said.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/insurers-may-raise-rates-for-tesla-owners-0...

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #536 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:29am

It's a luxury car made out of aluminium so of course it's going to attract a higher premium you dope.

And are you going to give up your laptop and smartphone in case they catch on fire ? Nah I didn't think you would Cheesy LOL
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:37am by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #537 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:35am

And the impaired unhinged troll crawls out from under the floor boards to display his/her IGNORANCE.

The untested still experimental Tesla "cars" have an unfortunate habit of suddenly accelerating without warning.

Another classic front end Tesla smash and fire

Korean Actor ‘Threatened to Use His Celebrity Status in Korea to Hurt Tesla’
NEWSSOUTH KOREA JAN 3, 2017

"The evidence clearly shows the vehicle was not at fault. Our policy is to stand by the evidence and not to give in to ultimatums," said Tesla.

Photos from Facebook account of Korean actor, Son Ji Chang.

South Korean celebrity Ji Chang Son is taking Tesla to court in a lawsuit that claims his Model X spontaneously accelerated while he was pulling it into his garage, ramming through his living room, injuring him as well as his son who was a passenger in the vehicle.

A Tesla spokesperson responded to emailed enquiries by Gizmodo claiming that before Son filed the suit, which calls on it being given class-action status, the actor “threatened to use his celebrity status in Korea to hurt Tesla” unless the company “agreed to make a financial payment and acknowledge that the vehicle accelerated on its own.”

Tesla added in the email that, “the evidence clearly shows the vehicle was not at fault. Our policy is to stand by the evidence and not to give in to ultimatums.”

Gizmodo reports:

Ji-Chang Son starred in a slew of South Korean television shows and movies in the late 1990s and early 2000s. He is also a singer-songwriter. The Korean celebrity posted about the incident on his Facebook, detailing the events of the accident. According to a Google translation, Son wrote that after Tesla didn’t admit it was at fault, he began considering a lawsuit.

“The article began to come up yesterday, and I came up with the answer that I demanded money because I was famous,” he wrote. “If the wall was concrete, not wood, I would [have died].”

Son’s lawsuit also referred to similar complaints against Tesla –all of which the automakers said were found to be the driver’s fault.

Tesla contended it “protects against pedal misapplication on multiple levels” and that its software uses “the Autopilot sensor suite to distinguish potential pedal misapplication events from normal cases when a driver intentionally presses the accelerator pedal. In cases of unambiguous pedal misapplication, the vehicle cuts torque to mitigate the effects of the driver’s error.”

Son’s suit, which was filed December 30, cite a study by NASA conducted between 2000 and 2010, that found the chances of sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) was one in 100,000.

“Within the first year of Model X vehicles being on the road, and with only 16,000 Model X vehicles in use (the vast majority of which have been on the road significantly less than one year), there have been ten (10) reported incidents of sudden unintended acceleration — a staggeringly high rate of SUA incidents of 62 per 100,000 vehicles per year,” said
the lawsuit.

https://brandinginasia.com/korean-actor-tesla-suit/

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #538 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:37am

The still experimental untested Tesla "cars" have this unfortunate habit of suddenly accelerating without warning.

Usual front ender

Tesla Mode S crashes into gym, driver blames car
September 27, 2016

Tesla is categorically denying claims from the driver of a Tesla Model S that ploughed through the glass wall of a gym, who said the car accelerated itself.

Tesla model S crashes into gym

As you can see from the video below, the Model S slowly crawls through the parking lot before turning right, then it rapidly accelerates through the wall in the Floridian city of Lighthouse Point.

The driver, whose husband owns two Teslas, claimed that the vehicle accelerated itself, denying allegations she had hit the accelerator rather than the brake pedal. This was contradicted by the manufacturer. After analysing the Model S’ logs, the company has evidence the accelerator pedal was pressed down.

According to figures gathered by the US National Highway Transport Safety Administration (NHTS), there are around 16,000 incidents caused each year by the driver mistaking the accelerator for the brake pedal.

The husband then took to a Tesla forum to express his frustration at the situation, and at Tesla for placing the onus of blame on the female driver. He wrote:

“I am amazed and wildly disappointed by the way Tesla has handled this and their complete unwillingness to even talk to me about it. Of course, they immediately blamed it on the driver and claimed their online computer tells them that.”

He and his wife maintain that the vehicle was at fault for the incident. “We do not feel that [mistaking the accelerator for the brake] is what has occurred and wanted to have it looked further into.”

The post has since been deleted.

Tesla has since issued a statement to Electrek in response to the claims made by the driver and her husband, stating that:

“Tesla’s cars do not accelerate without the driver instructing it to do so. In every situation where we have received a customer claim about this, the vehicle’s diagnostic logs have confirmed that the acceleration was the result of the driver pressing the accelerator pedal.”

VIDEO: Tesla S accelerates into Gym Wall

http://performancedrive.com.au/tesla-mode-s-crashes-gym-driver-blames-car-2719/
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:58am by juliar »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #539 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:37am

cage to keep the ignorant trolls out

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38