Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Tesla crash battery burns people alive (Read 56605 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Re: Tesla crash battery burns people alive
Reply #165 - May 21st, 2018 at 8:23am

longweekend58 wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 10:50pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
longweekend58 wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 5:56pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 4:31pm:
longweekend58 wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 8:39am:
longweekend58 wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
longweekend58 wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
lee wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm:
"138 829 electric passenger cars at the beginning of 2018"

2017 - "Private cars      2 719 395"

https://www.ssb.no/en/bilreg

About 5% by registrations.

I presume that is 5% for actual EVs, not hybrids.

I think hybrids are great and now all they have to is make hybrids that dont look like that dog-ugly prius and not as expensive as the Panamera.

they include plug in Hybrids , which r just basically electric cars with a petrol Generator on them for doing long ranges.  Wink Wink
Yes 50% of new sales will still take along time to get rid of existing registered cars.
In aus its 19million cars and last year sold 1.2 million .

you REALLY dont know what hybrids are, do you?  Of course not!  it doesnt fit your zealot thinking.

Hybrids are PETROL cars with electric assistance in performance and/or economy. Without the petrol motor they are limited to 30miles perhaps.

Hybrids are great but they are NOT electric vehicles which is why they massively outsell EVs. Now with most manufacturers saying they will all be offering a wide range of hybrids, the EV will have even less reason to be bought.

the only Toyota hybrid that is counted in these numbers is the prius prime because its a plug in... yes range is only about 30km full electric, but as I said its a EV with a petrol generator...... Wink Wink Wink I think the chevy bolt is the best range of 80km's and since most ppl do about 40kms a day its all they need for daily travel........
So as I said only Plug in Hybrids are counted in these numbers. Zealot or not.

you STILL dont seem to know what a hybrid is. It is NOT an EV with a petrol generator. The petrol engine drives the wheels and so does the electric motors. Thats a very big difference.

Except Volt and bmw i3  Wink Wink Wink

and not the prius nor any of the hybrids planned by major car companies. And how pointless would be an on-board generator anyhow? Also, the Volt is a market failure and the i3 is hardly a common car anywhere. and in both cases, the generator is not enough to sustain driving. it is a recharger only. it 'extends' range. it does not fix the problem of recharging.

And still when they look at ev numbers it’s only plug in vehicals either bev or PHEV so none of them solve your problem of charging  Wink Wink Wink except every house is a charger. Wink
I think your right hybrids will be the transition vehicals for years to come. Smiley Wink

and finally you get it... Hybrids will be transition technology for many many years until technology and infrastructure permits a change. But drivers are NOT going to pay more money for a technology that is not as good as the current one. And they arent.

The bolt has a range of 680kms with 85kms pure battery, so 600km on a tank of fuel, so yes it can sustain driving, and the fuel economy is awesome (42 MPG On Gas ) the bmw has a lot smaller tank and extends range a bit so u would need to refill more but it sustains driving too.
Google is your friend House Wink Wink Wink
show me once, where I said hybrid's r no good...... For me to finally get it, I would of had to of said they weren't any good.
But hay don't let that get in the road of a good story  Wink Wink Tongue
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 8:33am by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #166 - May 21st, 2018 at 9:35am

Gee LostSnail and his equal DDH are determined to show how little they know and that they could not argue their way out of a wet paper bag.
And they persist with the Lefty dog's breakfast technique of copy vast previous posts and then adding a line of Dribbling Waffle.

They are like fog on the windscreen of progress.

Is this a prophetic omen that Tesla is gunna crash ?

Now some actual informed comments so unlike the twaddle from the Lefties.

ZENDOG Tue, 05/15/2018 - 16:49
What's that smell? A rotting dead Tesla parked in the weeds.

Dsyno  ZENDOG Tue, 05/15/2018 - 16:50
Do the BMW's blow up too and burn at 1000 degrees?

nope-1004  Dsyno Tue, 05/15/2018 - 16:51
But you get a free tan in a Tesla.....

Labworks  nope-1004 Tue, 05/15/2018 - 16:54
brings back bad memories. Once as a kid I burned myself in a solarium...three days of burning pain.

silverer  JRobby Tue, 05/15/2018 - 19:10
Tesla vehicles still have valuable utility. You can load them into planes and drop them on the enemy.

Gaius Frakkin'…  silverer Tue, 05/15/2018 - 19:18
Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's unsustainable. My ass isn't getting into anything powered by Lithium. I don't care who makes it.

King of Ruperts Land  Mr. Universe Tue, 05/15/2018 - 23:41
I love the smell of burning lithium on the turnpike. It smells like ... faux virtue.

roddy6667  silverer Tue, 05/15/2018 - 19:53
Some EV's are useful. If you could get a Tesla free or very cheap, they could be just be put up on blocks in the back yard and used as the battery for your solar system. People use Priuses for backup at home. They are much better because they can recharge themselves. The Chevy Volt also has an onboard generator to recharge the battery. Of course, you could just live in a country that has a reliable electrical grid that does not fail frequently. In my five years here in China I have never even seen the lights flicker one time. In America, we had power failures. We went without any power for 8 days in CT once.

RAT005  roddy6667 Tue, 05/15/2018 - 22:18
The Prius recharges at a very high voltage.  Not sure it's a good match for PV array.

StychoKiller  RAT005 Tue, 05/15/2018 - 23:18
Do some research on Buck-Boost voltage conversion.

the artist  roddy6667 Wed, 05/16/2018 - 04:56
Reminds me of tractors in Amish country. They take the wheels off and use the PTO. A friend told me they would buy the tractor and return the wheels for a discount if they can get away with it.

I am Groot  silverer Tue, 05/15/2018 - 22:20
So the plan is to get Obama, Hillary, and Brennan to drive some Teslas, right ?

Pendolino  I am Groot Tue, 05/15/2018 - 22:28
Preferably at each other.

personal109  silverer Wed, 05/16/2018 - 00:18
Or a really good assassination tool, terrorist gets in, turns the key and the Tesla’s battery blows up in his face.

Wonder if it will still start ?

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #167 - May 21st, 2018 at 10:48am

juliar wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 9:35am:
[b][i]Gee LostSnail and his equal DDH are determined to show how little they know and that they could not argue their way out of a wet paper bag.
And they persist with the Lefty dog's breakfast technique of copy vast previous posts and then adding a line of Dribbling Waffle.

Jeez socko aren't EV's terrible. So terrible that mum and dads can now refuel them at home with the aid of their own solar PV installations. EV's should be banned for that reason alone Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - May 21st, 2018 at 10:54am

longweekend58 wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 8:39am:
longweekend58 wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 6:06pm:
longweekend58 wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
lee wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm:
"138 829 electric passenger cars at the beginning of 2018"

2017 - "Private cars      2 719 395"

https://www.ssb.no/en/bilreg

About 5% by registrations.

I presume that is 5% for actual EVs, not hybrids.

I think hybrids are great and now all they have to is make hybrids that dont look like that dog-ugly prius and not as expensive as the Panamera.

they include plug in Hybrids , which r just basically electric cars with a petrol Generator on them for doing long ranges.  Wink Wink
Yes 50% of new sales will still take along time to get rid of existing registered cars.
In aus its 19million cars and last year sold 1.2 million .

you REALLY dont know what hybrids are, do you?  Of course not!  it doesnt fit your zealot thinking.

Hybrids are PETROL cars with electric assistance in performance and/or economy. Without the petrol motor they are limited to 30miles perhaps.

Hybrids are great but they are NOT electric vehicles which is why they massively outsell EVs. Now with most manufacturers saying they will all be offering a wide range of hybrids, the EV will have even less reason to be bought.

the only Toyota hybrid that is counted in these numbers is the prius prime because its a plug in... yes range is only about 30km full electric, but as I said its a EV with a petrol generator...... Wink Wink Wink I think the chevy bolt is the best range of 80km's and since most ppl do about 40kms a day its all they need for daily travel........
So as I said only Plug in Hybrids are counted in these numbers. Zealot or not.

you STILL dont seem to know what a hybrid is. It is NOT an EV with a petrol generator. The petrol engine drives the wheels and so does the electric motors. Thats a very big difference.

you don't either longprong. There are two types of hybrid. Parallel and serial hybrids. The Prius is what is termed a Parallel hybrid and the Volt is what is termed a serial hybrid.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/174905-the-difference-between-parallel-hybrid...

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #169 - May 21st, 2018 at 10:55am

Sir lastnail wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 10:48am:
[b][i]Gee LostSnail and his equal DDH are determined to show how little they know and that they could not argue their way out of a wet paper bag.

Jeez socko aren't EV's terrible. So terrible that mum and dads can now refuel them at home with the aid of their own solar PV installations. EV's should be banned for that reason alone Cheesy LOL

But not povo losers, hey nails?

They can barely afford a decent pillow to rest their retarded little heads upon.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #170 - May 21st, 2018 at 11:07am

My God LostSnail is polluting the joint again with his absurdity. He's trying to turn the topic into a dog's breakfast with his silly copy big posts and then add a line of silly dribbling waffle. It is all about attention seeking by the normally ignored.

Now ignoring the boring dribbling waste of space waffle the FACTS about one Tesla crash.

Here’s What Utah Police Discovered About the Final Trip of That Tesla Model S
By Steph Willems on May 17, 2018

Would you be game to expose yourself to the danger of being a guinea pig testing an unproven experimental car that is as complex as a iPhone on wheels ?

A few days after last Friday’s collision between an Autopilot-enabled Tesla Model S and a stopped fire department truck, police in South Jordan, Utah blew away the clouds of speculation by stating the Tesla driver was looking at her phone immediately prior to the collision.

Witnesses claim the car, piloted by an on-board suite of semi-autonomous driving aids, didn’t brake as it approached the traffic signal (and the stopped truck).

Now we know the entirety of what occurred in the car in the minutes preceding the 60 mph impact.

In its Thursday release, the South Jordan Police Department reiterates what we already knew about the crash: that the 28-year-old driver admitted to engaging Autopilot (a combination of lane-keeping Autosteer and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control), and that she looked at her phone before the crash.

However, after reviewing the vehicle’s data logs, police were able to fill in the blanks. Here’s what they discovered:

The driver engaged Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control on multiple occasions during this drive cycle. She repeatedly cancelled and then re-engaged these features, and regularly adjusted the vehicle’s cruising speed.

Drivers are repeatedly advised Autopilot features do not make Tesla vehicles
“autonomous” and that the driver absolutely must remain vigilant with their eyes on the road, hands on the wheel and they must be prepared to take any and all action necessary to avoid hazards on the road.

The vehicle registered more than a dozen instances of her hands being off the steering wheel in this drive cycle.

On two such occasions, she had her hands off the wheel for more than one minute each time and her hands came back on only after a visual alert was provided. Each time she put her hands back on the wheel, she took them back off the wheel after a few seconds.

About 1 minute and 22 seconds before the crash, she re-enabled Autosteer and Cruise Control, and then, within two seconds, took her hands off the steering wheel again. She did not touch the steering wheel for the next 80 seconds until the crash happened; this is consistent with her admission that she was looking at her phone at the time.

The vehicle was traveling at about 60 mph when the crash happened. This is the speed the driver selected.

The driver manually pressed the vehicle brake pedal fractions of a second prior to the crash.

Contrary to the proper use of Autopilot, the driver did not pay attention to the road at all times, did not keep her hands on the steering wheel, and she used it on a street with no center median and with stoplight controlled intersections.

Based on the findings, police issued a ticket to the Tesla driver (who’s currently nursing a broken foot) for “failure to keep proper lookout.” The detachment also mentions the investigation launched by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in which investigators will examine why the vehicle did not take evasive action to prevent the crash.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/heres-utah-police-discovered-final-trip...

Sort of reminds you of Labor at the next election.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #171 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:00pm

The contrast between Tesla and the rest of the auto industry is terrifying
MATTHEW DEBORD MAY 20, 2018

Some think that Tesla is a tech company, but its main product is cars, so it effectively exists in the auto industry.

For years, auto sales have boomed in the US and automakers have raked in profits while Tesla has lost billions.

Unless Tesla reverses this trend, it won’t be able to weather a downturn when sales drop and profits vanish.

Optimism and scepticism about Tesla’s future are in an all-out war. Those who are bullish on the 15-year-old maker of sexy all-electric cars are doubling down on their bullishness and support for CEO Elon Musk.

Those who are bearish are predicting a bankruptcy in the next year, as Tesla burns through all its cash and fails to convince new investors to fund its monumental losses (something like $US20 billion for the life of the company).

Tesla, at base, is an automaker. But unlike other automakers, Tesla is valued like a rapid-growth tech firm and avidly followed by the same enthusiasts who might consider social media, fintech, and cryptocurrencies to be their passion.

Meanwhile, there’s a traditional auto industry that after being pummelled by the financial crisis has come roaring back since 2010. The four old-school companies that I follow closely – General Motors, Ford, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, and Ferrari – are awash in cash and profits and have been raking it in for literally years.

One salient statistic: both GM and Tesla staged IPOs in 2010, but since then Tesla has never posted an annual profit, while GM has made over $US70 billion.

The stock of GM and Ford has performed poorly relative to the overall markets, and since 2010, Tesla has massively rewarded risk-taking investors. Since its own IPO in 2014, FCA shares has rallied strongly, up almost 275%, while following Ferrari’s spinoff from FCA and its 2015 IPO, stock in the Italian supercar brand is up 140%.

Those returns have been relatively riskless, while Tesla’s certainly haven’t. And even if you bought Ford and GM expected better results, both companies have compensated investors with robust dividends and stock buybacks.

Tesla bulls will tell you that to properly understand the potential of the company, you have to rearrange your thinking. Musk is a disruptive visionary; the cars are rolling computers.

That’s fine for a jazzy storyline, but Tesla’s struggle isn’t related to its narrative – it’s falling short on fundamentals, such as being able to effectively build a mid-size sedan in the Model 3. Any other established carmaker could crank out hundreds of thousands in short order, but Tesla spent a closely watched year trying to manufacture a few thousand per week.

So let’s take a closer look at how Tesla is terrifyingly different from a regular car company:

Tesla vs. GM

GM’s Mary Barra.

There are three major differences between Tesla, which sold 100,000 vehicles in 2017, and GM, which sold 10 million.

The first is leadership. GM CEO Mary Barra is the best in the business. Her laser focus on maximizing the carmaker’s return on invested capital has yielded quarter after quarter of profits. She’s now arguably the best CEO GM has ever had, surpassing even mid-20th-century management genius Alfred Sloan.

The second is scale. To sell 10 million vehicles worldwide in a year, you have to be good at building them. What Tesla considers to be an ambitious production target at its single factory (ironically, once jointly operated by GM and Toyota, another global juggernaut) in California – 5,000 Model 3’s per week – is a rounding error to GM. GM could have achieved and surpassed Tesla oh-so-obsessively monitored objectives in a few months at most.

The third is speed. Everybody thinks Tesla is a fast-company Silicon Valley operation, but the carmaker is, in fact, agonizingly slow. It’s been years between reveals of new vehicles and their actual appearance in the market. The Model 3 is no exception. A launch in mid-2017 led to just a few thousand cars delivered by the end of the year.

GM, on the other hand, revealed and launched its Chevy Bolt long-range EV in about a year, start to finish. It’s been on sale in the US since fall of 2016. And nobody obsessively followed its rollout. It … just … happened. Right on schedule.

The story of the rise and fall of Tesla continues overleaf

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #172 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:00pm

The story of the rise and fall of Tesla continued...

Tesla vs. Ford
With a management shakeup last year that led to the ouster of then-CEO Mark Fields and his replacement with a more visionary personality in Jim Hackett, Ford has clearly been looking to emulate Tesla’s Wall-Street-attractive story.

But Ford also makes the bestselling vehicle in the US, the F-150 pickup truck. This thing can be mass-produced in absolutely staggering volumes and has been selling nearly a million units annually. And although it isn’t priced anywhere near what Tesla charges from its Model S and Model X luxury vehicles, the F-150 throws off huge profit margins.

The F-150 can witness sales dips, but for the most part, it’s nearly an invulnerable product. Ford can always count on it, like an insurance policy.

Tesla, by contrast, has probably topped out in its luxury segment and now has to pull off a potentially impossible stunt: sell hundreds of thousands of electric sedans to a market that has shown limited interest in EVs (they’re only 1% of the global market) and that … doesn’t want sedans.

The 4 door is dying. FCA has given up on them in the US, and Ford is heading in that direction. GM will likely make the shift in the next year. Ferrari doesn’t sell them.

Tesla has promised to bring a crossover SUV, the Model Y, to market in the next few years, but at the moment it has no place to build the vehicle. That leaves Tesla trying to make the Model 3 into its F-150. And that’s just not going to happen.

Tesla vs. FCA
Like Tesla, FCA has an outspoken CEO in Sergio Marchionne. But unlike Musk, Marchionne is an accountant by training and understands the biggest risks to a carmaker: debt and cash burn.

Since taking over Chrysler after a government bailout and bankruptcy, Marchionne has focused on making the Jeep brand a profit-minting beast and maintained the RAM pickup brand’s number-three-market position behind Ford and Chevy/GMC.

This has generated the cash flow that he needs to pay down FCA’s debt and to bolster the carmaker’s cash balances. It’s actually not that complicated. He inherited a ruined balance sheet, but one that was getting a fresh start. And he has done what’s needed to transform it into a fortress.

Over the past 2 years, FCA shares have outperformed Tesla shares by 200%. So which was the better “growth” investment? (And that outperformance took place, shockingly, even after FCA spun off Ferrari, which represented a huge chunk of value in the company.)

The big difference between Tesla and FCA is that the former has been run like a Silicon Valley casino that has somehow staved off functional insolvency thanks to treating Wall Street like an ATM, while the latter has been run like the tightest ship in the industry, based primarily on well-defined financial goals that have all been met.

If you were looking for a CEO to run Tesla in the event that it, too, goes bankrupt and Musk is deposed, Marchionne would be first on your list.

Tesla vs. Ferrari

Clive Mason/Getty Images

As it turns out, Marchionne is also CEO of Ferrari, but the contrast between the Italian carmaker and Tesla owes more to the similarity between the companies than to leadership differences.

Ferrari, like Tesla, is a brand built on a story, and for Ferrari, that story is racing. Yes, Ferrari has sold plenty of road cars since the middle of the 20th century, and it has sold them for a lot of money. But at its core, Ferrari is about winning Formula One races.

That mission has been pursued with absolute concentration. The F1 car for a given year is, ultimately, the only Ferrari that really matters. There is no business case for the expensive road cars without it.

Tesla, on the other hand, has a Ferrari-like portfolio of vehicles, in terms of size (just 3 cars currently coming out of the Tesla factory, versus 5 for Ferrari). There’s also a vision, although unlike Ferrari it isn’t predicated on winning races. Rather, it’s Musk’s desire to hasten humanity’s exit from the fossil-fuel era and to mitigate global warming.

Tesla, unfortunately, isn’t modelling itself on Ferrari, which would actually be logical. Instead, it’s aiming to become GM or Toyota, producing cars at a gigantic scale. Tesla’s core business – luxury vehicles – shares Ferrari’s sexiness and preoccupation with performance.

It’s larger, of course – Ferrari sells < 10,000 cars per year – but Teslas are also far less expensive. An entry-level Tesla luxury vehicle is < $US100,000, while the cheapest Ferrari is $US200,000.

Musk would obviously like to be half Ferrari-half GM, but this is an impossible circle to square. The tragedy is that as Ferrari talks about going electric, Tesla is already there. The problem is that the CEO simply can’t accept that destiny.

A bit more overleaf
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 12:22pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #173 - May 21st, 2018 at 12:08pm

The final chapter (maybe for Tesla as well ?)

So what’s the bottom line?
The elephant in the room for Tesla is that even as the US auto market has boomed for the past three years, posting record sales numbers and enabling GM, Ford, and FCA to print money selling profitable pickups and SUVs, Tesla has managed to lose billions while endlessly promising that the negative trend will reverse.

Ferrari staged one of the most successful IPOs in the history of the industry and has also minted steady profits. Tesla’s own IPO, dating back to 2010, also has to be considered a wild success, but stock market results contrast depressingly with Tesla’s glaring lack of profits.

As I’ve watched the Tesla bulls and bears dramatically diverge over the past six month, I’ve increasingly focused on what I think is the fundamental of fundamentals for a carmaker: Can you make a good profit in a sales market where profits are there for the taking?

The traditional auto industry has achieved this; Tesla, the outlier, hasn’t.

If that situation doesn’t change soon and lead to sustainable future margins, Tesla won’t make it when the existing market dynamics shift and losses for the industry return.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesla-terrifyingly-different-from-ford-gm-fca...

Find the Tesla!!!!

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 12:22pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #174 - May 21st, 2018 at 2:33pm

I love how Jules says this than cut and pastes 3 or 4 pages of stuff with nothing from him Wink Tongue
And just keeps the same story diferant words every time Cheesy Cheesy Tongue

Tesla 2000 cars a year to 100000 in. 5 years..... 200000 this year.

The Jules format
Paragraph insult
Cut and paste 3 pages.....
Well done. Wink Wink
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 2:49pm by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #175 - May 21st, 2018 at 3:05pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 2:33pm:

I love how Jules says this than cut and pastes 3 or 4 pages of stuff with nothing from him Wink Tongue
And just keeps the same story diferant words every time Cheesy Cheesy Tongue

Tesla 2000 cars a year to 100000 in. 5 years..... 200000 this year.

The Jules format
Paragraph insult
Cut and paste 3 pages.....
Well done. Wink Wink

And gives a running commentary of other peoples state of mind Cheesy LOL

And according to socko car accidents only happen to Tesla vehicle drivers and no other vehicle type Cheesy LOL

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2018 at 6:09pm by Sir lastnail »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #176 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:49am

The would be Greeny types DDH and LostSnail are competing to see who knows the least.

They have not got a clue about the actual topic and so they just console themselves by rattling on trying to have a go at the poster who leaves them for dead.

They are both so inarticulate they can't prosecute anything like a cogent argument and so they gravitate to just wasting space by posting dribbling waffle.

Tesla is releasing untested still experimental "cars" and using buyers as guinea pigs to discover faults.

When will the law suites start ?

And what drivers of all electric inconveniences may find to their disadvantage.

Are Electric Vehicles a Fire Hazard?
by Kevin Bullis  November 26, 2013

Electric vehicles could reduce oil consumption, but only if consumers feel they are safe to drive.

In the past two months, three Tesla Motors Model S electric cars have caught fire after their lithium-ion battery packs were damaged. Last week the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it would investigate whether Tesla’s Model S needs to be modified to prevent further fires.

https://cdn.technologyreview.com/i/images/tesla.firex299.jpgsw=280
Burn out: The front end of a Tesla Model S was consumed in flames after its battery was damaged.

In two cases, the cars ran over large metal objects at highway speed; the third car hit a concrete wall. No one was hurt: a warning system allowed the drivers to pull the car over and get out before smoke started coming from the battery pack, and the design of the battery pack slowed the spread of the fire, which never made it into the passenger compartments. Tesla has said it will cover fires in its warranty, so the cost won’t be felt by owners. And Tesla founder Elon Musk argues that the fires are still very rare.

Even so, the incidents have drawn attention to the safety of the batteries used in electric vehicles (see “Early Data Suggests Collision-Caused Fires Are More Frequent in the Tesla Model S than Conventional Cars”). They are also just the latest examples of lithium-ion battery fires in electric vehicles—we’ve seen fires with the Chevy Volt and Fisker Karma plug-in vehicles. Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner was grounded because of problems with its new lithium-ion batteries.

There are inherent risks when you store enough energy to propel a two-ton car at 75 miles an hour for hundreds of miles. After all, thousands of gasoline-powered cars catch fire in collisions each year. In principle, those risks can be managed through structural design and cooling. But could the lithium-ion battery cells themselves be made safer?

Electric-vehicle battery packs are made of hundreds to thousands of battery cells, each of which contains a flammable liquid electrolyte. Managing the risks of lithium-ion battery fires comes down to two things: keeping the electrolyte from catching fire, and keeping a fire from spreading if it does happen.

However, lithium-ion battery cells themselves can sometimes generate enough heat to ignite the electrolyte in a process known as thermal runaway. Short-circuits between the two electrodes in a battery cell, for example, can heat up the electrodes. If these electrodes get too hot, the heat can trigger chemical reactions that quickly generate more heat until the electrolytes burst into flame. This seems to be what happened in the Tesla fires, when damage to the battery packs caused short-circuits leading to thermal runaway.

Short circuits can be the result of manufacturing defects, but battery makers have become very good at preventing those. When batteries are used as intended, there’s only one fire for every 100 million lithium-ion battery cells out there, says Jeff Dahn, professor of physics and chemistry at Dalhousie University. Tesla also guards against thermal runaway events with an extensive liquid cooling system designed to cool the cells so fast that if one cell catches fire, its neighbors won’t.

If, however, multiple cells are damaged, the cooling system might not be enough. “If the Tesla pack is abused severely by a large metal object thrust through the pack, it will probably have a fire in most instances,” Dahn says.

Tesla further protects the battery pack with a quarter-inch-thick plate of hardened aluminum. In many cases, this seems to work. The Model S earned the highest safety ratings from NHTSA after crash tests. But the protection didn’t prove to be enough in the case of the fires.

Tesla also built a firewall between the pack and the passenger compartment. “That firewall is designed so that even if the pack does go into thermal runaway, it does not penetrate the passenger compartment,” Musk says.

Since the accidents, Tesla sent out a software update that changes the settings on the Model S suspension so that the battery pack is higher off the ground at highways speeds, making it less likely to hit the sort of chunks of metal that caused two of the fires.

Read the fiery rest here

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/521976/are-electric-vehicles-a-fire-hazard/

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #177 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:11pm

juliar wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 11:49am:
The would be Greeny types DDH and LostSnail are competing to see who knows the least.

They have not got a clue about the actual topic and so they just console themselves by rattling on trying to have a go at the poster who leaves them for dead.

They are both so inarticulate they can't prosecute anything like a cogent argument and so they gravitate to just wasting space by posting dribbling waffle.

Tesla is releasing untested still experimental "cars" and using buyers as guinea pigs to discover faults.

When will the law suites start ?

And what drivers of all electric inconveniences may find to their disadvantage.

Are Electric Vehicles a Fire Hazard?
by Kevin Bullis  November 26, 2013

Electric vehicles could reduce oil consumption, but only if consumers feel they are safe to drive.

In the past two months, three Tesla Motors Model S electric cars have caught fire after their lithium-ion battery packs were damaged. Last week the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it would investigate whether Tesla’s Model S needs to be modified to prevent further fires.

https://cdn.technologyreview.com/i/images/tesla.firex299.jpg?sw=280
Burn out: The front end of a Tesla Model S was consumed in flames after its battery was damaged.

In two cases, the cars ran over large metal objects at highway speed; the third car hit a concrete wall. No one was hurt: a warning system allowed the drivers to pull the car over and get out before smoke started coming from the battery pack, and the design of the battery pack slowed the spread of the fire, which never made it into the passenger compartments. Tesla has said it will cover fires in its warranty, so the cost won’t be felt by owners. And Tesla founder Elon Musk argues that the fires are still very rare.

Even so, the incidents have drawn attention to the safety of the batteries used in electric vehicles (see “Early Data Suggests Collision-Caused Fires Are More Frequent in the Tesla Model S than Conventional Cars”). They are also just the latest examples of lithium-ion battery fires in electric vehicles—we’ve seen fires with the Chevy Volt and Fisker
Short circuits can be the result of manufacturing defects, but battery makers have become very good at preventing those. When batteries are used as intended, there’s only one fire for every 100 million lithium-ion battery cells out there, says Jeff Dahn, professor of physics and chemistry at Dalhousie University. Tesla also guards against thermal runaway events with an extensive liquid cooling system designed to cool the cells so fast that if one cell catches fire, its neighbors won’t.

If, however, multiple cells are damaged, the cooling system might not be enough. “If the Tesla pack is abused severely by a large metal object thrust through the pack, it will probably have a fire in most instances,” Dahn says.

Tesla further protects the battery pack with a quarter-inch-thick plate of hardened aluminum. In many cases, this seems to work. The Model S earned the highest safety ratings from NHTSA after crash tests. But the protection didn’t prove to be enough in the case of the fires.

Tesla also built a firewall between the pack and the passenger compartment. “That firewall is designed so that even if the pack does go into thermal runaway, it does not penetrate the passenger compartment,” Musk says.

Since the accidents, Tesla sent out a software update that changes the settings on the Model S suspension so that the battery pack is higher off the ground at highways speeds, making it less likely to hit the sort of chunks of metal that caused two of the fires.

Read the fiery rest here

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/521976/are-electric-vehicles-a-fire-hazard/

ahh paragraph of insult then Cut and paste.... well done jules. Tongue Tongue
In the USA there is 280,000 car fires per year, which caused 480 deaths, what is that about 800 fires a day in USA.... dam and u found 2 from 5 years ago..... Tongue how many where hurt from the fires  Jules ?
A news report from 5 years ago, ohh and what where the findings reported afterwards? Boy r u leaving me for dead with these reports.
;

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #178 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:12pm

Dum dum DDH shows amazing ability in the pointless waste of space copying of another poster's work and then adding 1 line of nonsensical dribble.  Only a lost in space Greeny type could do this.

What a way to go incinerated in an untested experimental Tesla after the battery blew up!!

Now will the lost in space normally ignored Greeny type copy all this and then scribble 1 line of silly inane dribble just to try to get noticed ?

What a way to end it all!!!

Why the Fire that Incinerated a Tesla Was Such a Nightmare to Put Out
By Aylin Woodward, Live Science Contributor | March 30, 2018 01:27pm ET

On March 23, a 38-year-old man driving a Tesla Model X rammed headfirst into an unshielded highway median while traveling south on U.S. Highway 101 near Mountain View, California. Two other vehicles subsequently rear-ended the SUV, which caught fire after the driver, who later died from his injuries, was pulled from the wreckage.

According to news reports, the car blaze shut the highway for 5 hours, firefighters required special suits for cleanup, and at one point had to call Tesla for help in containing the blaze. On Tuesday (March 27), the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) announced a field investigation into the incident.

"Here we have an electric vehicle involved in a postcrash fire. … Did the batteries play a role in that? Did the batteries make it harder for the fire to be put out?" NTSB spokesman Chris O'Neil told The Washington Post.

These are all excellent questions that Tesla drivers might be itching to have answered.

But are Teslas more likely to catch fire than other cars? And when they do catch fire, why are they such a nightmare to put out?

The limited available data suggest that electric vehicles are not more prone to battery fires — but their lithium-ion batteries can fuel hotter fires that release toxic fumes and are harder to extinguish, experts say.[The Surprising Physics of 7 Everyday Things]

Greater energy density
The batteries that fuel a typical gasoline-powered car differ from those in an electric vehicle. The former are lead-acid-based, with lower energy densities — meaning they carry less energy in the same amount of space — than the compact,rechargeable lithium-ion, or Li-ion, batteries that power electric vehicles, including the Tesla Model X.

A normal 12-volt "small" gasoline-powered car battery provides roughly 0.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy. Since the fully electric battery in the Model X comes with 75- to 100-kWh batteries, this means roughly 150 to 200 normal car batteries would be needed to power the SUV.

Another difference between the battery you might jump in a gas-powered car and the one you'd find under a Model X hood is that, while lead-acid batteries can self-ignite with small fires, those can't leap into other parts of the battery to ignite them and cause a chain reaction. This can happen in lithium-ion batteries, however, said Peter Sunderland, a professor of fire protection engineering at the University of Maryland. Sometimes, when a Li-ion battery gets damaged, it shorts. The resulting spark might ignite the nearby lithium, and the lithium next to that, until the whole battery is ablaze.

The trick with designing an EV battery, in particular, is balancing the benefits of higher energy density — which enables the EVs to go farther on each charge — with the associated risks of battery sparking. "Higher energy density means a higher risk of external sparking,"Arunachalanadar Mada Kannan, a professor of engineering at Arizona State University, told Live Science.

More often in EVs, however, lithium-ion battery fires happen due to thermal runaway, or the spontaneous explosion of the battery thanks to a buildup of heat in the cells inside. In its recent blog post, Tesla noted that the battery packs in the company's electrical vehicles were designed with firewalls, so that a fire would spread slowly enough to give the driver time to exit the car.

Li-ion battery fires can be very intense, emitting large amounts of heat and smoke or gas, Bengt-Erik Mellander, a professor of subatomic and plasma physics at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, told Live Science in an email.

The recent high-profile Tesla fires have started after the battery was damaged in some way.

"The crash in Mountain View was very violent, chopping off the front end of the car and severely damaging the front end of the battery storage under the car (as far as I can see)," Mellander wrote. In the 2013 fire, the Model S's battery compartment was also damaged prior to the fire, when an errant metal object hit the undercarriage.

Read the fire risk of lithium batteries here

https://www.livescience.com/62179-tesla-fire-cleanup-danger.html

In the hot seat!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2018 at 12:20pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #179 - May 22nd, 2018 at 1:44pm

juliar wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 12:12pm:
Dum dum DDH shows amazing ability in the pointless waste of space copying of another poster's work and then adding 1 line of nonsensical dribble.  Only a lost in space Greeny type could do this.

What a way to go incinerated in an untested experimental Tesla after the battery blew up!!

Now will the lost in space normally ignored Greeny type copy all this and then scribble 1 line of silly inane dribble just to try to get noticed ?

https://s31.postimg.cc/z0wsg662z/DZAEr7_ZVo_AA4_QHh.jpg
What a way to end it all!!!

Why the Fire that Incinerated a Tesla Was Such a Nightmare to Put Out
By Aylin Woodward, Live Science Contributor | March 30, 2018 01:27pm ET

On March 23, a 38-year-old man driving a Tesla Model X rammed headfirst into an unshielded highway median while traveling south on U.S. Highway 101 near Mountain View, California. Two other vehicles subsequently rear-ended the SUV, which caught fire after the driver, who later died from his injuries, was pulled from the wreckage.

According to news reports, the car blaze shut the highway for 5 hours, firefighters required special suits for cleanup, and at one point had to call Tesla for help in containing the blaze. On Tuesday (March 27), the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) announced a field investigation into the incident.

"Here we have an electric vehicle involved in a postcrash fire. … Did the batteries play a role in that? Did the batteries make it harder for the fire to be put out?" NTSB spokesman Chris O'Neil told The Washington Post.

These are all excellent questions that Tesla drivers might be itching to have answered.

But are Teslas more likely to catch fire than other cars? And when they do catch fire, why are they such a nightmare to put out?

The limited available data suggest that electric vehicles are not more prone to battery fires — but their lithium-ion batteries can fuel hotter fires that release toxic fumes and are harder to extinguish, experts say.[The Surprising Physics of 7 Everyday Things]

Greater energy density
The batteries that fuel a typical gasoline-powered car differ from those in an electric vehicle. The former are lead-acid-based, with lower energy densities — meaning they carry less energy in the same amount of space — than the compact,rechargeable lithium-ion, or Li-ion, batteries that power electric vehicles, including the Tesla Model X.

A normal 12-volt "small" gasoline-powered car battery provides roughly 0.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy. Since the fully electric battery in the Model X comes with 75- to 100-kWh batteries, this means roughly 150 to 200 normal car batteries would be needed to power the SUV.

Another difference between the battery you might jump in a gas-powered car and the one you'd find under a Model X hood is that, while lead-acid batteries can self-ignite with small fires, those can't leap into other parts of the battery to ignite them and cause a chain reaction. This can happen in lithium-ion batteries, however, said Peter Sunderland, a professor of fire protection engineering at the University of Maryland. Sometimes, when a Li-ion battery gets damaged, it shorts. The resulting spark might ignite the nearby lithium, and the lithium next to that, until the whole battery is ablaze.

The trick with designing an EV battery, in particular, is balancing the benefits of higher energy density — which enables the EVs to go farther on each charge — with the associated risks of battery sparking. "Higher energy density means a higher risk of external sparking,"Arunachalanadar Mada Kannan, a professor of engineering at Arizona State University, told Live Science.

More often in EVs, however, lithium-ion battery fires happen due to thermal runaway, or the spontaneous explosion of the battery thanks to a buildup of heat in the cells inside. In its recent blog post, Tesla noted that the battery packs in the company's electrical vehicles were designed with firewalls, so that a fire would spread slowly enough to give the driver time to exit the car.

Li-ion battery fires can be very intense, emitting large amounts of heat and smoke or gas, Bengt-Erik Mellander, a professor of subatomic and plasma physics at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, told Live Science in an email.

The recent high-profile Tesla fires have started after the battery was damaged in some way.

"The crash in Mountain View was very violent, chopping off the front end of the car and severely damaging the front end of the battery storage under the car (as far as I can see)," Mellander wrote. In the 2013 fire, the Model S's battery compartment was also damaged prior to the fire, when an errant metal object hit the undercarriage.

Read the fire risk of lithium batteries here

https://www.livescience.com/62179-tesla-fire-cleanup-danger.html

https://s31.postimg.cc/efi0ok6l7/DZAEr7_DVMAA5_Ag_Y.jpg
In the hot seat!!!!!

Ahh Paragraph of insult then cut and paste......

so the man was pulled out of the Car and died from Injuries of the crash,
The fire had nothing to do with his death did it ?????
800 fires a day in the usa and 480 deaths a year in cars from fires.
Fires happen, its a tragedy but its sad to see u need Insults and Half truths to  try and make your point Smiley Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 38
Send Topic Print