Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Gandalf caught without options. (Read 27527 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Gandalf caught without options.
Reply #75 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:59am

polite_gandalf wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Good debating strategy FD - lets churn out the well-worn anecdotes. That'll prove it.

There are also some stats around showing that a lot of Islamic extremists are highly educated. You don't have to be some uneducated, ignorant hick to be inspired by Islam to support the genocide of a mindless collective of treacherous Jews. Belief in Islam makes this inevitable, regardless of how educated you are and how exposed you are to more enlightened ideologies. It is the ones who take the Quran too seriously that you have to watch.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:07pm

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 7:59am:
Good debating strategy FD - lets churn out the well-worn anecdotes. That'll prove it.

There are also some stats around showing that a lot of Islamic extremists are highly educated.

Yes, FD, but we all know that education is wasted on retarded inbred sub-breeds who squat down to pee and play with their ducks afterwards.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #77 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:50pm

freediver wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 7:59am:

There are also some stats around showing that a lot of Islamic extremists are highly educated. You don't have to be some uneducated, ignorant hick to be inspired by Islam to support the genocide of a mindless collective of treacherous Jews. Belief in Islam makes this inevitable, regardless of how educated you are and how exposed you are to more enlightened ideologies. It is the ones who take the Quran too seriously that you have to watch.

Taking the Koran seriously, is required. Those who don't, are not Muzlims. And those who do, cannot be trusted by those who don't.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - May 26th, 2018 at 10:01pm

issuevoter wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
Frank wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:00pm:
Enlightenment is possible in christianity only. It  is impossible in Islam.

I don't know what you mean by enlightenment. I mentioned the Enlightenment, a loose term for a period of philosophical examination among educated Europeans.

It's  not a private formulation of mine so if you do not understand it you should blame yourself, your teachers and your limited horizon.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - May 26th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:44pm:

Danish Christianity, eh? Be specific, Santa Claus.

Catholics, Copts, Orthodox == followers of Islam.

You've assimilated, no?

Mulslims call thinking for yourself - enlightenment - apostasy and will kill you for it. But you are ready to eat crap anywhere, anytime, so you are at home there, paki.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - May 26th, 2018 at 10:26pm

Frank wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 10:07pm:

You've assimilated, no?

Mulslims call thinking for yourself - enlightenment - apostasy and will kill you for it. But you are ready to eat crap anywhere, anytime, so you are at home there, paki. 

Old boy, you're a smearer. You use other people's stool. And yet, you reserve the right to not be offended.

So unfair.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #81 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:37pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 10:26pm:

You've assimilated, no?

Old boy, you're a smearer. You use other people's stool. And yet, you reserve the right to not be offended.

So unfair.

It's funny, people say you cannot remember when you are a 0-24 months old. I remember painting my bedroom wall with my shyte when I was about 12 months old through the white bars of my cot, I was put in there to sleep and was bored shytelessfull, dipping into my nappy for the medium of my creativity. I also remember my grandmother and auntie's visit when I was 18 months and the gift they brought for me.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:42pm

Setanta wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 11:37pm:

You've assimilated, no?

So unfair.

It's funny, people say you cannot remember when you are a 0-24 months old. I remember painting my bedroom wall with my shyte when I was about 12 months old through the white bars of my cot, I was put in there to sleep and was bored shytelessfull, dipping into my nappy for the medium of my creativity. I also remember my grandmother and auntie's visit when I was 18 months and the gift they brought for me.

Yes, but you use your own. The old boy recycles.

Miam miam.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #83 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:48pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 11:42pm:

You've assimilated, no?

So unfair.

Miam miam.

I think I remember it because my mum was like, oh no! and I thought I was doing a good job.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - May 27th, 2018 at 12:24am

Setanta wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 11:48pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 11:42pm:

You've assimilated, no?

So unfair.

Miam miam.

I think I remember it because my mum was like, oh no! and I thought I was doing a good job.

Of course you were. You were expressing yourself.

The old boy merely suppresses himself. His stool is so blocked, he needs an extra-large poker to prise it out.

Old boy, it's that time, dear. We'll have to turn you over.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #85 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:56am

Frank wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 10:01pm:
issuevoter wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 10:11pm:

I don't know what you mean by enlightenment. I mentioned the Enlightenment, a loose term for a period of philosophical examination among educated Europeans.

It's  not a private formulation of mine so if you do not understand it you should blame yourself, your teachers and your limited horizon.

That's a cop-out Frank, just as bad as Gandalf not answering THE question. Once, again, I used the Enlightenment as a term for that historical period. You changed the subject. What did you mean? Here's my guess, you don't actually have a meaning.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - May 27th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed nonage. Nonage is the inability to use one's own understanding without another's guidance. This nonage is self-imposed if its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in indecision and lack of courage to use one's own mind without another's guidance. Dare to know! (Sapere aude.) "Have the courage to use your own understanding," is therefore the motto of the enlightenment.

The Enlightenment was a uniquely Western development. The Reformation was very important because it removed the Church as a bridge between man and god - the protestants starting with Luther posited a direct link to god without the need for a consecrated priestly class who are the holders of the mysteries (transustantiation and all that).
The renaissance was the recovery of the West's inheritance from antiquity, especaillay it's Greek inheritance which had been largely cut off from the West by the spread of Islam and the schism between the Catholic West and Orthodox East. When Constantinople fell in 1453 there was a huge influx of Greek men and books. (the Latin inheritance was always available, oddly saved by the Irish monks after the collapse of Rome.

So religious tolerance is one of the pillars of the Enlightenment and it is not present in Islam, not even remotely. The religious basis of this possibility is the unique worth of every individual as an individual in god's sight. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  That is very radical and unrepeatable in Islam. It is also the bedrock of the idea of universal human rights, once again developed in the West.

The dare to think is also a uniquely Western development that enabled not only religious tolerance but on its heels, scientific, experimental scientific enquiry. Once again, this happened nowhere else.  The mind-forged shackles of the Mohammed are in place, unchallengeable in Islam. There was no Chinese or African or Indian scientific revolution either. They all copied the West.

These are unique Western achievements or developments but crucially, they are not just for the West but for all humanity. The centrality of individual freedom, physical and intellectual, is a universal good, first achieved by the West but not confined to the West.

I hasten to add that we are not enlightened, it is not a completed project, but we are still in the age of enlightenment, it is still unfolding. We are still coming towards understanding ancient truths, with a nod to Heidegger.  This is no surprise since freedom is not something you have and then never have to give it another thought. Freedom is something very hard to obtain and very easy to lose, as we see in our own age, own time, with speech codes, PC language police, identity politics and the rest. We see before our eyes the self-imposed non-age coming back in the media, politics, education.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2018 at 6:19pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #87 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:57pm

Frank, thank you for answering my question so thoroughly, it seemed like you were getting a bit cranky for a while.

Just quickly, religious tolerance, "a pillar of the Enlightenment,"was forced on the Church, it was not through inherent Christian benevolence.

I am not likely to accept or reject another person's well considered interpretation of “enlightenment,” when it is offered as a theory, unless they can prove it. A problem I find with the concept, as espoused by the religions, is that they can be boiled down to a matter of dogma. The enlightened follow our beliefs only - essential to Islam.

The first paragraph, in red font, is interesting in the idea of using one's own understanding. It appeals to my sense of equality in philosphical matters and the perception of reality. I don't know who wrote it, but many free-thinkers would see a flaw in the first two words. Its only an opinion.

I've seen this kind of adamant statement a number of times on the forum recently. One was from Red Baron who insisted he knew about God. It is not his place to lecture us here, on his beliefs as if they were fact. He and others do not seem to give a damn how arrogant and conceited their statements are. For one thing, its not polite. I meet, and intend to meet in the future, any such statements as arrogantly as they are proclaimed.

In our society, dealings with the religion of Islam are governed by law, and at present the preponderance of public opinion supports equality between the religions. I may question the prudence or judgement of this, but nonetheless, that is how Islam is accepted or rejected by the Western nations.

You wrote: “Enlightenment is possible in christianity only. It is impossible in Islam.” And I asked you for an explanation. The problem is twofold. There is no universal defintion of enlightenment, there is only theory.

Your statement gives the impression of Christian conviction, and consequently, it hands ammunition to Muzlims and anyone who wants to shield them from philosophical and moral scrutiny, because it is dogma. They can simply say, “And therefore Christianity is as dogmatic as Islam.” And this relativism is one of their most effective levers of public opinion.

You may be happy preaching to the converted, but it is a very clumsy way of addressing the Muzlim problem, and is ulikely to convince anyone else.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:32pm

Christian tolerance is inherent in christianity.  You could not hold Christ  up as a force for intolerance. The church may have been, as a worldly organisation, intolerant. The Reformation removed that option and religious tolerance had to be and was resolved.
Never happened with Islam and never will or could because the pribciple is not present in Islam. You can't  reform islam and point to an original tolerance because it is about Submission, not your relationship with your creator and heavenly father who cares for you, personally and in particular. In Islam none of this is thinkable.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:43pm

issuevoter wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 8:57pm:
Frank, thank you for answering my question so thoroughly, it seemed like you were getting a bit cranky for a while.

Just quickly, religious tolerance, "a pillar of the Enlightenment,"was forced on the Church, it was not through inherent Christian benevolence.

I am not likely to accept or reject another person's well considered interpretation of “enlightenment,” when it is offered as a theory, unless they can prove it. A problem I find with the concept, as espoused by the religions, is that they can be boiled down to a matter of dogma. The enlightened follow our beliefs only - essential to Islam.

The first paragraph, in red font, is interesting in the idea of using one's own understanding. It appeals to my sense of equality in philosphical matters and the perception of reality. I don't know who wrote it, but many free-thinkers would see a flaw in the first two words. Its only an opinion.

I've seen this kind of adamant statement a number of times on the forum recently. One was from Red Baron who insisted he knew about God. It is not his place to lecture us here, on his beliefs as if they were fact. He and others do not seem to give a damn how arrogant and conceited their statements are. For one thing, its not polite. I meet, and intend to meet in the future, any such statements as arrogantly as they are proclaimed.

In our society, dealings with the religion of Islam are governed by law, and at present the preponderance of public opinion supports equality between the religions. I may question the prudence or judgement of this, but nonetheless, that is how Islam is accepted or rejected by the Western nations.

You wrote: “Enlightenment is possible in christianity only. It is impossible in Islam.” And I asked you for an explanation. The problem is twofold. There is no universal defintion of enlightenment, there is only theory.

Your statement gives the impression of Christian conviction, and consequently, it hands ammunition to Muzlims and anyone who wants to shield them from philosophical and moral scrutiny, because it is dogma. They can simply say, “And therefore Christianity is as dogmatic as Islam.” And this relativism is one of their most effective levers of public opinion.

You may be happy preaching to the converted, but it is a very clumsy way of addressing the Muzlim problem, and is ulikely to convince anyone else.

There is no universal definition of Enlightenment because it is not a universal but a uniquely Western concept.
There is no shedding of the 7th century immaturity and dogmatic nonage in Islam. Islam has no sense of growing up, of growing out of its stupid nonage. It has no possibility of Enlughtenment because it is not a dialogue, never has been and never will be, between man and god. It is stuck in the 7th century demand of Submission with nowhere else to go or to grow. That's  why its been lashing out murderously.  It cannot change and murdering is the only argument it has ever known. Tolerance would be its death. A Submission that admits non-submission, tolerance, variety, interpretation, questioning in no Submission.
Enlightenment would be the death of Islam, thats why it is resisted so violently.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Send Topic Print