Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Sad Bird Story (Read 1081 times)
AiA
Gold Member

A Sad Bird Story
May 3rd, 2018 at 11:37am

It is spring in North America and my wife, daughter and I recently watched a mother bird build a nest in a gardening hat hanging from a peg on our back porch next to the door. It wasn't long until we could see several tiny pale blue eggs and right after that the mother was feeding hungry chicks. My wife and daughter both took photos and videos and I would peep in the nest from time to time. Then, the other day, my daughter said the mother bird wasn't moving so I took a look and there she was head pointed upwards out of the next with her eyes closed motionless and all her chicks underneath her ... dead, all dead.

What could have happened? Did the mother eat something poisonous and feed it to the chicks? There was no trauma ... they had all died peacefully and suddenly.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: A Sad Bird Story
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 5:19pm

If there was blood on the mother bird - maybe her underbelly, then she was probably attacked by a stronger bird - otherwise yes sadly it sounds like she was poisoned and she's either regurgitated it into her babies or they've died of starvation. A neighbour who doesn't like birds could have laid out some poisoned bread or seed.

You would have to look all over her dead body to get some idea.

Last year - a young magpie visitor had a hairband stuck around it's mouth and neck. It couldn't eat. This year there's another young magpie with half a spool of dental floss wrapped around it's leg. It's leg is pinned to its chest. Fortunately he can fly and eat, but it won't be long before the floss catches on a branch and he dies a long painful death.

Human carelessness causes suffering and death to a lot of wildlife.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Re: A Sad Bird Story
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2018 at 2:59am

I don't put out bird food even though there are particular birds I would like to attract because the squirrels simply eat it all ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print