Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Relationship to thc (Read 14578 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Relationship to thc
Reply #90 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:38am

Nah, I need to keep the clay really well mulched with wood chips, that acts to keep the soil pH down and actually amends the clay.

It won’t attract termites and having chooks around, as I plan to do, any termite problem will be minute. So, instead of rows of trees with strips of grass in between it will all be pine chip where the trees are. Uneven floor with mounds into which the trees are planted and swales either side of the row of trees plus a bigger swale at 90° (back to front) crossing the smaller side to side vales along the rows of trees.

Not going to just let the stormwater drain away and the lazy council has inadequate drains there anyway. Capture the water in mulch filled basins.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #91 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:13pm

Hmmm Read the latest Cider Group digest, think Tassie will be too cold for much of a codling moth problem. Chooks should keep the buggers under control alright.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #92 - May 29th, 2018 at 11:39am

Been reading up heaps: problems, nutrition, deficiency symptoms for boron, magnesium etc. Getting in to pruning and training my young trees.

Watched some videos about planting in deep clay. Some of the content contradicts what I have read (leave the rootball alone v teasing out roots that are circling around the rootball—pot bound. Doubt this is a problem with my trees, only one year in a big tree bag.

Good advice—in clay dig planting holes wide but not deep with some of the rootball above ground level, heap soil around the rootball. Since I will make mounds of bought loam to plant the trees in this is in effect what I will do.

Dig the hole, pour in a bucket of compost tea, let that drain, plant the tree. The roots in the bottom will follow the compost tea down.

Apples have deep roots, cherry not really. In a few years I can ignore the apple trees apart from routine seasonal maintenance and harvesting delicious apples but the cherry trees will require more care and irrigation. I will tie the cherry trees but not the apple trees to tree posts.

Still, who cares—lots and lots of delicious cherries to eat, to make jam from, provide a nice flavor to an acceptable but flabby cider etc.

Definitely will buy an Essencia 20L still and rejig it to be a pot still instead of a reflux still: apple brandy, cherry brandy. I won’t collect the methanol, of course—I will have metho to errrr burn.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #93 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Compost tea is easy to make and beneficial to all plants. I bought the fish hydrolosate from the company in Perth but bought the powdered kelp on Ebay at a significant saving.

Quote:
General purpose tea
(balanced fungal-bacterial brew)
     •      20 litres water
     •      80ml fish hydrolysate*
     •      40ml liquid kelp
     •      200g compost
Add water to bin. If using town water, turn on pump and aerate water for 30 minutes to get rid of chlorine. Add food (fish and kelp) to water. Put compost in ‘tea’ bag. Brew for 24-30 hours.

Vegie patch tea (bacterial brew)
     •      20 litres water
     •      30ml fish hydrolysate*
     •      60ml liquid kelp
     •      10ml blackstrap molasses
     •      200g compost
Brew as per general purpose tea, above.

Orchard tea (fungal brew)
     •      200g compost
     •      10ml fish hydrolosate* mixed with
     •      20ml water
     •      20 litres water
     •      80ml fish hydrolysate*
     •      40ml liquid kelp

Three days before brewing, feed compost by mixing 10ml fish hydrolysate with 20ml of water and sprinkling over the compost. Keep compost in a cardboard box (the cardboard will absorb any excess moisture and allow compost to breathe) and keep in a warm spot (20-30°C). After 2-3 days the compost will have a ‘fuzz’ growing over it – this will be laden with fungal spores. After the compost has ‘fuzzed’ you are ready to brew. Brew as per general purpose tea, above.

I have two sachets, about 1.5Kg, of Mycorrhizal fungal culture, will sprinkle that on the compost/hydrolysate in the cardboard box. Will aerate the tea by filling a bucket and pouring it back into the container several times a day.

* Fish hydrolysate is made from whole fish, broken down by enzymes rather than heat. It contains fish oils that are good food for fungi. The more commonly found fish emulsion is less effective at growing fungi but will suffice as a substitute if need be.

http://www.greenlifesoil.com.au/lawns/fish-hydrolysate-20l

Fish hydrolysate is much superior to stuff like Charlie Carp because it still has the fish oils in it.

I will make the orchard compost tea then dig a planting hole, pour in 10L of the “tea” and let that drain. Plant the tree—and the roots will follow the compost tea down into the soil.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #94 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 7:22pm

Next year I want to start some “understory” plants going.

Red and black currants

Tasmanian pepperberry. One male, 2-3 females.

Gooseberry.

Once I am building my house there—plant raspberries. I reckon 60–8- canes of one variety would be good.

Blueberries—these crazy loon LOVE acid. Acid soil that is, like vinegar acid, pH 4–5. Will have to grow these suckers in pots.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #95 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 4:19pm

Had a bit of a shock. I had assumed, based on the description in my tree supplier’s website, 3m high etc that the cherry trees I have bought were on a dwarfing rootstock. I was half right.

My cherry trees are on semi dwarfing rootstock, Colt rootstock to be exact. Height more like 4-5 metres! Gadzooks!

However, by a bit of pruning and bending the branches and trunk down (and holding them in position with ties, etc) I can keep them below 3 metre and still get a healthy crop of delicious fresh cherries. Yum!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #96 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 4:25pm

I have had the rows where the trees will go covered in pine chips. They will lower the pH of my alkaline soil a bit and shelter and feed the beasties like worms, ground beetles etc that will amend my horrible clay soil for me.

Pine maybe not the best choice—tends to make the soil inhospitable for plants other than conifers but I can deal with that—will need to use better quality bought soil anyway. After this first mulching tho will use lucerne etc to keep the surface of my soil covered.

It is hard to change soil pH: soils tend to revert to their “natural” pH. However, plenty of compost in the ground, good mulch and some acid sulphates (iron and potassium) and adding bought loam should make the soil a bit less alkaline.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #97 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:17pm

One row covered with pine chips, spread midwinter.

Where is the snow and ice, Booby?

Row1_001.jpg (55 KB | 22 )
Row1_001.jpg

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #98 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:26pm

Further showing Booby doesn’t know what he is talking about, I have recorded the forecasts since early May to date.

TWO night were  predicted to be -1 to +4°C, two others -1 to +3°C But that is for a fair bit of Tassie. My block is near the sea so be more +3 or +4°C than -1°C. (actual figures randomised a biit.)

I LOVED reading Booby say mothra and JS should apologise for (unspecified) trolling. Lead by example, Booby, and apologise for the unproved trolling of me and mothra you did.

You slimy toad, you posted that I and mothra MADE you troll us. Pathetic!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #99 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 3:07pm

What is pathetic Punk, is that you have submitted nearly a whole thread yourself........and the last page is certainly confined to your continual whining about two idiots who have been banned.......yes YOU are pathetic........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 5:01pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 3rd, 2018 at 1:26pm:
Further showing Booby doesn’t know what he is talking about, I have recorded the forecasts since early May to date.

TWO night were  predicted to be -1 to +4°C, two others -1 to +3°C But that is for a fair bit of Tassie. My block is near the sea so be more +3 or +4°C than -1°C. (actual figures randomised a biit.)

I LOVED reading Booby say mothra and JS should apologise for (unspecified) trolling. Lead by example, Booby, and apologise for the unproved trolling of me and mothra you did.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #101 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 5:18pm

One row covered with pine chips, spread midwinter.

Where is the snow and ice, Booby?

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2018 at 5:29pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #102 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 5:18pm

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #103 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Getting close to having all the information to draw up the final version of my planting plan:

1. Training cherries on Colt rootstock to a fan:
Quote:
Of the four main fruit tree types [apple, pear, plum & cherry] the cherry is undoubtedly the most demanding yet it is also quite versatile in it’s growth which means that with a little thought and imagination it is possible for all of us to enjoy the delights on offer here, no matter what your locality or gardening circumstance might be.

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/article/cherry-tree-growing-methods-rootstocks/

Quote:
Name of rootstock: Colt (semi-vigorous)
Suitable for: Bush, half standard, fans
Start fruiting: After three or four years
Ultimate height as trained as bush: 6m (20ft)
Growing conditions: Many soils tolerated including clay and light, chalky soils
Staking: Permanently
Spacing: 6m (20ft)

The nursery said the height of the tree grown as a tree was 3m—it is TWICE that!

I think I will go back to my initital thought to grow them as a fan—they need permanent staking anyway!

Quote:
Colt Rootstock
Colt has been fully tested in this country and has been proved ideal for a wide range of soil types previously too difficult for cherries. Fully establish 8 year old trees have been controlled to 12ft height, and this can be lower with pruning technique. The weight of the fruit and protection netting brings the branches down even lower, and allows picking from the ground. No ladders are needed. Trees on Colt rootstock fruit very early in life, often the first year after planting, and are in full fruit by the 3rd year. In our trials, cherries on Colt have proved far less susceptible to bacterial canker.

I like the “no ladders” bit being inherently lazy and not getting any younger!

More good news:
Quote:
Many customers will prefer to restrict the growth of their colt stock cherry tree to 7' or less. This enables them to he grown in the open. The training is very simple and is basically known as 'bending'. The best time to start is in the early spring, just before growth begins. All of the required side branches are tied down to a horizontal level or just below. The centre leader is tied at a sharper angle.

So 2.4-5m high, assume foliage 3m diameter. So can plant at 2.5m spacing in row, 2.5m space between rows. One more deep rip. The cherry trees a bit higher than the espaliered pear trees will go on the south side of rows 4 & 5, they will be less in the shade line of my house.

Phew, now to put my non–existent draughting skills to use!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #104 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:53am

I have decided to put the cherry trees all in row 4.

No need for an extra deep rip—costs $200 just in travelling time for a tractor to come to where I am!

Row 5 will be great for planting 2-3 rosemary plants. Good to use in cooking, good for attracting bees to my garden. Will plant some fennel too, attracts useful predatory and parasitic insects to my garden, controlling stuff like aphids. Plant some onions and parsley, let some go to seed—the seedheads too good for attracting the right insects.

With the conservatory at the back of the house, facing north and east (not west—very hot late afternoon sun in summer, even in Tassie) will look over flower beds mixed with decorative veges like rainbow chard and 2-3 types kale backgrounded with fruit trees. The cherry trees will look fantastic in bloom, even better full of cherries!

A nice row of rhubarb and one of asparagus, nice loooong rows.

Chickens running between the fruit trees, eating grubs, leaving fertiliser and laying beautiful eggs. At least 6 chickens. You have not tasted an egg until you taste one laid by a chook that has the run of your backyard. Fresh! Of course, I can only sell the eggs for chickenfeed.  Smiley

Food to eat, to share, to sell.

Anyway, design of my tiny orchard is DONE!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print