Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Relationship to thc (Read 14579 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Relationship to thc
Reply #45 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 4:57pm

Part of the planning approval process, I guess.

I thought something was about to happen—one day I rock up to my block and saw that a line had been spray painted across the adjacent block marking out the building line.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:17pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:14pm

Did the Council ask if you wished to make any objection at all?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #47 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:18pm

Yeah, it gets advertised and if you don’t like it you can object.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:20pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:18pm:
Yeah, it gets advertised and if you don’t like it you can object.

Up here, you do not need a DA to build on residential land.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #49 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:24pm

It is zoned residential so I have no idea why neighbors have to approve.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 27th, 2018 at 5:24pm:
It is zoned residential so I have no idea why neighbors have to approve.

New townhouses of two storeys and more throw a shadow over adjacent residential properties that were built as single-storey years ago. The morning light ... the evening light ... all obliterated by these monstrosities built right next to neighbouring properties.

There are some truly hideous examples of this cynical bastardry in my local area.

But the imperative to build more townhouses and blocks of units to accommodate the immigrant work fodder pouring into Australia at 250,000 per year takes top priority over respecting existing residentials and their civil right not to be over-shadowed by these wog warehouses that are springing up all over Sydney like that burning building in London.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #51 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 5:31pm

Single dwelling, ’Erbert. The people concerned actually own over a hectare of land there. Their block is to the south of mine so no shading issues—that comes with their land some of which is over my back fence.

Must remove the barbed wire top strand from the fence, farked if I know why they put barbed wire there anyway.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #52 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 10:57am

I have been reading up about planting and initial care of fruit trees. In fact, I got a bit worried—all advice about not adding compost or fertiliser or blood and bone etc—when I did all that in April! Hmmm!

Not to worry, what I did was good because it was so far ahead of the planting, phew! With my lovely clay soil organic matter HAD to be dug in! The compost and sheepshit and blood and bone etc, all incorporated into the soil by now.

I will expand the mounds a bit by digging with the garden fork around where I did earlier this month—want the roots to venture into the soil, not stay where the soil is rich!

Will see when I get there how well the drainage—the deep ripping I had done—works and that will guide how I proceed to plant and stake my trees.

On the matter of drainage: do NOT backfill the hole with your new tree in it with compost! The hole will fill with water in the winter (wet season) then dry out over summer.

Anybody thinking of planting fruit trees this is a fantastic site:

https://www.orangepippintrees.eu/

Also at:
https://www.orangepippintrees.com/

This: https://www.orangepippintrees.com/articles will give you advice on a vast range of issues to do with fruit trees. There is a section where you can look up a type and variety of fruit, e.g. cider apple Dabinette and it gives you a heap of info on it: appearance, diseases, what the fruit looks like—size, color, shape, russet etc—and has a pollination checker, check whether two self–sterile trees will have overlapping blossoming times and can pollinate each other, climate zones best suited etc.

If you only have room for two trees it pays to make sure they will both carry fruit!

If you want to grow apples whether eating, cooking or cider apples or a decorative crab apple—they hate having their feet wet. Most fruit trees do but apples are one of the most affected.

Drainage is key!
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2018 at 11:11am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #53 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:44am

I need to stake my cider apple trees, it seems.

Reckon a dozen tomato stakes (do people grow backyard tomatoes in Tassie?) will do plus the necessary tree ties, of course. Stake is hammered in at a 45° angle after the tree is planted so you don’t drive the stake into the tree roots! Tie will be low, no higher than a metre, even less for the two year old trees. —aha, quick google showed plenty grow tomatoes in Tassie.

The cherries will be espaliered into a fan pattern. Star droppers and wire to make the structure then fasten bamboo poles at 45° to horizontal to the wires to guide the training of the branches.

Basic fan espalier:

Belgian fence:

With espalier almost anyone can grow fruit trees. Type of fruit tree depends on climate, soil, orientation of your block etc. Plenty of information available

Once I am living there I will plant a shitload of raspberries! 20 each of 3-4 varieties that ripen in spring, summer and fall, extend the time I can pick ripe juicy raspberries. Or I might just plant the tastiest variety etc. Plenty of info available, e.g. https://perfectplants.co.uk/blog/train-a-tree-for-free/

Red currants too. Red currants eaten fresh, yum! Red currant jelly useful in decorating cheesecakes etc. Such a short season you have to preserve them.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 10:54am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #54 - May 2nd, 2018 at 12:45pm

If you have a border and want something unique to set it off stepover apples, ultra dwarf apple trees that can be kept to 1m high or even less.

You could use stepover apples to make a parterre garden.

Thinking of stepover winesap apples to edge a border I have in mind
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 1:29pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #55 - May 2nd, 2018 at 1:34pm

Oops, was looking at the wrong rootstock. MM111, does not need staking, good!

Have a weary feeling I will need to dig drainage ditches Sad  But will see how waterlogged the soil is first.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2018 at 5:26pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #56 - May 2nd, 2018 at 11:21pm

Chicken and mushroom pies for dinner Friday, be good. Well, if I don’t stuff up the cooking they will be good.

Got a nice book “Pies” by Angela Boggiano, Octopus Publishers.

The nights are getting cool enough for hearty soups, stews—and pies.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #57 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:03am

I had given up on the idea of having a productive hedgerow along my back fence because the cider apple trees would shade that boundary too much. So, getting sick of apple trees just for the moment I looked through the book on growing fruit—and landed on the page for white and red currants. Perfect!

The currants need protection from wind—the 3 rows of apple trees will do that—and protection from the hot afternoon sun—the 3 rows of apple trees will do that!

LOVE redcurrants and tried growing them here but even with shade—too hot! Perfect on my eastern boundary of my Tassie block! There are native Tasmanian edible berries and they too can go along the eastern boundary/back fence. I eat them raw—with a couple of forks remove the currants from the stem, sprinkle with a little bit of sugar, let stand for an hour, eat. Great just straight, provides a nice red color in a fruit salad.

And of course—red currant jelly.

The Tassie native berries (except for the pepperberry  Grin ) are great cooked into a sweet pie etc. So many things to try! Can’t wait!

List of edible native Tassie fruits: http://www.potn.com.au/edible_plants.html

Don’t think I will plant the kangaroo apple:
Quote:
The fruit of the Kangaroo Apple is poisonous when green, but edible when ripening to yellow or orange

Can just see some kid stealing a fruit and getting sick, no thanks!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 9:08am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #58 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:15am

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #59 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:21am

Reading that last, I will get a dozen bales of peastraw or similar and put it on top of the acid mulch of pine chips (the soil on my block is fairly alkaline) to get a really thick bed of mulch and encourage plenty soil critters to live there and they will amend the clay for me. Sounds good.

Also means won’t need weedmat, a useful saving!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print