Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
NBN Speeds & complaints thereof ..... (Read 3145 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NBN Speeds & complaints thereof .....
Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:30pm

Just had the NBN activated to my residence. I was very apprehensive in my expectations after hearing so many horror stories & complaints about reliability & poor speeds & not getting what you're paying for ......

So far I'm stoked .... 46.7 mb/s download & 17.8 mb/s upload.

It's a little slower through WiFi to my Pay TV.

I hope it stays this way.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

My last ADSL2 speed test was 10.6 mb/s down & 0.9 mb/s up.

Many in other parts of town are getting NBN speeds much lower than my ADSL.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: NBN Speeds & complaints thereof .....
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:40pm

So, you're on tier 4?

50 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload.

That must cost you quite a bit more.

I'm just on the basic tier 2 - 25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps - and that does me fine for Netflix, Stan, YouTube, and the internet.

I average about 23.5 down, and 4.5 up.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:10pm

Im on VDSL (not NBN) and ive got about 100 down and 30 up or something - not sure what the up is. 40 a month for first year and 80 a month after that. included voip (but havent bothered).

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
So, you're on tier 4?

50 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload.

That must cost you quite a bit more.

I'm just on the basic tier 2 - 25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps - and that does me fine for Netflix, Stan, YouTube, and the internet.

I average about 23.5 down, and 4.5 up.

That would do me also but my previous bundle was costing me the same & it has just transferred over.

Yes it's costing a quid so I expect what I'm paying for...

however once this contract lapses I will review the costs & download speeds.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:16pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Im on VDSL (not NBN) and ive got about 100 down and 30 up or something - not sure what the up is. 40 a month for first year and 80 a month after that. included voip (but havent bothered).

Spot

The "up" is upload .... when you put/send photos or media onto the internet ..... that's uploading.

When your PC is on & you're looking at this forum it's constantly downloading.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:10pm:

Spot

The "up" is upload .... when you put/send photos or media onto the internet ..... that's uploading.

When your PC is on & you're looking at this forum it's constantly downloading.

Gawd. I meant i dont know what my speed is - i checked and it was about 20 but there are about 6 other people using the internet so i dont know

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:05pm

45 download, 14 upload.

IP Logged

Barb Dwyer

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:20pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
45 download, 14 upload.

The NBN is all about just how much you are prepared to pay. You want very fast $100 a month. Average $60 a month. Roll Eyes Whatever, it is a rip off and the NBN will never be paid off before something newer and faster comes along.  Grin

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:24am

Yeah but where they are allowed competition nobody is going to opt for NBN because the other is better and cheaper (eg canberras vdsl).

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 8:24am

Quote:
VDSL offers speeds of up to 52 Mbit/s downstream and 16 Mbit/s upstream,[3] over a single flat untwisted or twisted pair of copper wires using the frequency band from 25 kHz to 12 MHz.[4] These rates mean that VDSL is capable of supporting applications such as high-definition television, as well as telephone services (voice over IP) and general Internet access, over a single connection. VDSL is deployed over existing wiring used for analog telephone service and lower-speed DSL connections. This standard was approved by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in November 2001.

Second-generation systems (VDSL2; ITU-T G.993.2 approved in February 2006)[5] use frequencies of up to 30 MHz to provide data rates exceeding 100 Mbit/s simultaneously in both the upstream and downstream directions. The maximum available bit rate is achieved at a range of about 300 meters; performance degrades as the local loop attenuation increases.

Doesn't sound much different to the NBN system.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 9:19am

Gnads wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 8:24am:
Quote:
VDSL offers speeds of up to 52 Mbit/s downstream and 16 Mbit/s upstream,[3] over a single flat untwisted or twisted pair of copper wires using the frequency band from 25 kHz to 12 MHz.[4] These rates mean that VDSL is capable of supporting applications such as high-definition television, as well as telephone services (voice over IP) and general Internet access, over a single connection. VDSL is deployed over existing wiring used for analog telephone service and lower-speed DSL connections. This standard was approved by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in November 2001.

Second-generation systems (VDSL2; ITU-T G.993.2 approved in February 2006)[5] use frequencies of up to 30 MHz to provide data rates exceeding 100 Mbit/s simultaneously in both the upstream and downstream directions. The maximum available bit rate is achieved at a range of about 300 meters; performance degrades as the local loop attenuation increases.

Doesn't sound much different to the NBN system.

No it doesnt. I think because its their own lines they install. I havent heard any complaints about it though just praise and like i said mine is faster than they said it would be. Might even be fibre-optic since it was only last year and not 2006.

Of course it would be better if we had the fibre plan that was originally proposed by labour. Then we could compete with the rest of the world with our internet measured in MB instead of mb.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 10:15pm

Barb Dwyer wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:20pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
45 download, 14 upload.

The NBN is all about just how much you are prepared to pay. You want very fast $100 a month. Average $60 a month. Roll Eyes Whatever, it is a rip off and the NBN will never be paid off before something newer and faster comes along.  Grin

I pay about $130 per month (at most) on home, phone and internet. The internet speeds I have are quite good. When I upgraded the RAM on my computer in March, the internet experience was excellent. Parting with $80 a month on my internet is quite okay by me. However, I hope I get a better deal in the future for my money.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:43pm

Non NBN, telstra cable - 100 mbits/s down, only 1.5 up.  And peak time 89 mbits down - live on a street 1/2 full of retirees.   Smiley  I am holding on to the cable as long as I can.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:20pm

This made me laugh:

Quote:
NBN Co kills 100Mbps on fixed wireless
Worries instead about getting all users up to 25Mbps.
NBN Co has “killed” off plans to offer 100Mbps services on its fixed wireless network so it can concentrate on meeting its minimum performance obligations.

The company “suspended” its examination of fixed wireless tiers beyond 100Mbps a month ago while it tries to fix congestion problems in parts of the wireless network.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-kills-100mbps-on-fixed-wireless-491662

The idiots connected the towers they put up back to the internet via microwave. Should have connected them via fibre! child of six knows that. So no wonder they are not “investigating” getting the towers to 100mbps  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin They won’t be able to reduce congestion either.

The Libs have made a pigs breakfast of what would have been vital national infrastructure. I want them penalised, squashed for deliberately wasting tens of billions of dollars of public money! Bastards!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #14 - May 26th, 2018 at 4:43pm

Jovial Monk wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 1:20pm:
This made me laugh:

Quote:
NBN Co kills 100Mbps on fixed wireless
Worries instead about getting all users up to 25Mbps.
NBN Co has “killed” off plans to offer 100Mbps services on its fixed wireless network so it can concentrate on meeting its minimum performance obligations.

The company “suspended” its examination of fixed wireless tiers beyond 100Mbps a month ago while it tries to fix congestion problems in parts of the wireless network.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-kills-100mbps-on-fixed-wireless-491662

The idiots connected the towers they put up back to the internet via microwave. Should have connected them via fibre! child of six knows that. So no wonder they are not “investigating” getting the towers to 100mbps  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin They won’t be able to reduce congestion either.

The Libs have made a pigs breakfast of what would have been vital national infrastructure. I want them penalised, squashed for deliberately wasting tens of billions of dollars of public money! Bastards!

THE KIDS HATE THEM: you can't get worse than that when you're in the nursing home!

Roll Eyes

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print