Send Topic Print
Defensive gun use (Read 2708 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Defensive gun use
Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:37am

Quote:
CDC, in Surveys It Never Bothered Making Public, Provides More Evidence That Plenty of Americans Innocently Defend Themselves with Guns

CDC surveys in the 1990s, never publicly reported, indicate nearly 2.5 million defensive uses of guns a year. That matches the results of Gary Kleck's controversial surveys, and it indicates more defensive than offensive uses of guns.

Many people who support gun control are angry that the federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) are not legally allowed to use money from Congress to do research whose purpose is "to advocate or promote gun control." (This is not the same as doing no research into gun violence, though it seems to discourage many potential recipients of CDC money.)

But in the 1990s, the CDC itself did look into one of the more controversial questions in gun social science: How often do innocent Americans use guns in self-defense, and how does that compare to the harms guns can cause in the hands of violent criminals?

Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck conducted the most thorough previously known survey data on the question in the 1990s. His study, which has been harshly disputed in pro-gun-control quarters, indicated that there were more than 2.2 million such defensive uses of guns (DGUs) in America a year.

Now Kleck has unearthed some lost CDC survey data on the question. The CDC essentially confirmed Kleck's results.
But Kleck didn't know about that until now, because the CDC never reported what it found.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/20/cdc-provides-more-evidence-that-plenty-o

Over 2 million cases of defensive gun use every year in the USA which is something the gun grabbers never mention.

Less than 10,000 firearm homicides every year according to FBI data
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/expanded...

Americans are allowed to defend themselves with firearms it happens over 2 million times every year.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: Defensive gun use
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:40am

As an Australian you do have the right to be murdered in your own home, something we should all be proud of, wouldn't you say?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:34pm

More defensive than offensive gun use eh, Baron? What are they defending themselves against?

Charging rhinos? Muggers pointing their two fingers? Or that Police staple, "black male suspect"?

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:47pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:34pm:
More defensive than offensive gun use eh, Baron? What are they defending themselves against?

Charging rhinos? Muggers pointing their two fingers? Or that Police staple, "black male suspect"?

The number of defensive uses in the statistics is only those that are recorded. The actual numbers are unknown, keeping a watch on "black male suspects" is never a bad idea. With only 13%of the population they commit over 50% of the violent crimes! Usually against their own.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:41am

The idiocy in the OP is that it is the use of guns to defend against... guns.

amazing how that changes when you takes guns out of the equation on BOTH sides.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:44am

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:47pm:
The number of defensive uses in the statistics is only those that are recorded. The actual numbers are unknown, keeping a watch on "black male suspects" is never a bad idea. With only 13%of the population they commit over 50% of the violent crimes! Usually against their own.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 3:11pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:41am:

Even Fuehrer Howard did not even come close to achieving that, so why even say something so stupid?

Our violent criminals have and always will have access to semi automatic weapons and still you blame the law abiding citizens for the violence.

What a good little liberal lapdog you are.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 4:53pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 3:11pm:

Even Fuehrer Howard did not even come close to achieving that, so why even say something so stupid?

Our violent criminals have and always will have access to semi automatic weapons and still you blame the law abiding citizens for the violence.

arent you supposed to be out with the rest of the soldiers on Anzac Day???  Or are you as fake as many of us suspect?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:48pm

Actually, defensive gun use in the USA doesn't require the threat of equal lethal force.....the perpetrator might be carrying a gun, or a knife, or a baseball bat, or a hammer, or a chain, or a lead pipe, or a stick, or a ball point pen, or he/she could even be completely unarmed........like a mugger/rapist without a weapon attacks an 19 year old woman from behind, drags her to the ground, slaps her once or twice, then to his amazement he's staring down the business end of a Glock 9mm.....whether  the woman pulls the trigger is solely up to her.....most of the time it's unnecessary, the coward just darts off in sheer terror. On the other hand she may think she's still in mortal danger, & she pumps 4 into his chest, & one into his brain for good measure.

The first scenario, where he flees, it probably will go down as unreported. This probably accounts for over 60% of defensive gun use.....some do but most don't get reported, & no shots are usually fired.

In the second case though, there is one dead mugger & probably one shook up young woman......after the police interview, they ask why did you shoot?....he was unarmed?....she would easily say something like, "I though he would strangle me, I was in fear for my life.."

99% of the time that would be enough for her to be taken home rather than the prescient for further questioning. No charges would ever be laid.....IMHO....I would think that over 85% of Americans would consider that a justified defensive shooting.  Wink  ...

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:09pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:28pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:40am:
As an Australian you do have the right to be murdered in your own home, something we should all be proud of, wouldn't you say?

Yeah - but they might also charge your arse for being in a position to upset an intruder etc.... armed intruders have feelings, too, and they might all need a safe room.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:30pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 4:53pm:

arent you supposed to be out with the rest of the soldiers on Anzac Day???  Or are you as fake as many of us suspect?

Air Force, Laddie - Air Force.... now be quiet, there's a good gentleman...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 6:54pm

When a claimed statistic seems to be unbelievable it is usually because it is.

Dis this include using the but to fend off mosquitoes ?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 7:11pm

Anyone wanting to read about American DEFENSIVE GUN USE, have a good ole time
here (link)

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 7:21pm

Panther wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:48pm:

What foreign troops, from where, are going into the USA to disarm it's citizens?

Sounds like gun nut alarmism.  Tsk, tsk.  Such stupidity.  You can only find that level in America.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 9:31pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 7:21pm:
Panther wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:48pm:

What foreign troops, from where, are going into the USA to disarm it's citizens?

Sounds like gun nut alarmism.  Tsk, tsk.  Such stupidity.  You can only find that level in America.   Roll Eyes

it is a gross absurdity which is naturally the result of being extreme right-wing and a trumptard. One thing that seems to be universally true: trump supporters are intellectually dim.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print