Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Kelly O'Dwyer won't concede Government was wrong (Read 1807 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Kelly O'Dwyer won't concede Government was wrong
Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:06am

check it out. All on video. Liberal liars at their best Sad

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-22/odwyer-refuses-to-concede-governmen-wrong-...

Quote:
O'Dwyer: I've answered your question.

Cassidy: No you haven't.

O'Dwyer: I have answered your question.

Cassidy: You haven't said whether you were wrong or right to delay it.

O'Dwyer: I've said we've established it. We have in fact established it.

Cassidy: You have established it, but it took a long time coming. Were you wrong?

O'Dwyer: Well let me put it to you this way. We would not have done all those other things that we would otherwise have done to address these actions.

Quote:
Kelly O'Dwyer won't concede Government was wrong on delaying banking royal commission

Financial Services Minister Kelly O'Dwyer has repeatedly avoided answering questions on whether it was wrong to delay establishing a royal commission into the banking sector, after a week of shocking revelations.

The commission has heard alarming evidence of dodgy financial advice and that customers, including those who had died, were being charged fees for no service.

Banking probe poorly judged

The Government's misjudgement on the need for a banking royal commission has come back to bite it, writes Michelle Grattan.

The Federal Government had resisted calls from Labor to establish a royal commission, arguing it would be a reckless inquiry that would undermine confidence in the banking sector.

But Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was eventually forced to change the Government's position, after pressure from his own backbench and an admission from the big four banks that an inquiry was necessary to restore public faith in the financial system.

In a terse interview on the ABC's Insiders program, Ms O'Dwyer was grilled by host Barrie Cassidy on whether the Coalition had made an error of judgment in waiting to launch the inquiry.

The Minister refused to make that concession, instead arguing the Government had spent the time "soberly" considering other reforms for the sector.

Ms O'Dwyer suggested that the media and Labor were wanting to "obsess" about the timing of the commission.

From awful to shocking

Extraordinary deception. Atrocious behaviour. No concern about consequences. This week's evidence was consequential and now the political environment has shifted, writes Dan Ziffer.
"I'm actually obsessed about fixing the problems," she argued.

"There is no question we got it right in establishing the royal commission."

Mr Turnbull, Treasurer Scott Morrison and Ms O'Dwyer were among the Coalition's top brass rubbishing Labor's proposal for an inquiry, which Opposition Leader Bill Shorten took to the last election.

"This Government is from another planet," shadow finance minister Jim Chalmers told the ABC.

"They've learnt absolutely nothing from all of the scandalous revelations that we've heard over the last little while in the royal commission.

"They still can't bring themselves to say that they were wrong to run a protection racket against that royal commission for so long."

Last week, former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce admitted he was wrong to have opposed calls for an inquiry, despite the fact some of his Nationals colleagues were the most vocal advocates for a royal commission.

On Friday, Ms O'Dwyer announced tougher penalties for dodgy bankers and other corporate criminals, including prison terms of up to ten years.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Re: Kelly O'Dwyer won't concede Government was wrong
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:12am

Now that damp squib has admitted Bill was 100% right right right all along will slomo and dwyer be getting on their knees and begging the Australian public for forgiveness after they spent years opposing any sort of enquiry looking in to their banking mates ?

Over to you rtards

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:19am

The depressed Lefties somehow reckon the Banking RC is going to change something.  What did the much bigger unions TURC change ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:28am

juliar wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:19am:
The depressed Lefties somehow reckon the Banking RC is going to change something.  What did the much bigger unions TURC change ?

Depressed?

Abbott is history, Turnbull is on the nose, the ditzy bogan has been told to shut her filthy mouth, and the Libs will lose the next federal election.

What's there to be depressed about?

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:15am

Some of the characters that we have all been accused of being envious of because of their supposed 'success' might get their collars felt now or pulled down a peg or two with massive fines. That in itself would be quite an achievement wouldn't it socko Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 2:57pm

Well, it better change something, when the evidences are so damning.  If not, then perhaps, the government should step aside, and someone else can take over.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 6:51pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:15am:

Some of the characters that we have all been accused of being envious of because of their supposed 'success' might get their collars felt now or pulled down a peg or two with massive fines. That in itself would be quite an achievement wouldn't it socko Wink

More likely to feel a hand clasp on their right shoulder...

"Allo.. AllOO! What 'ave we got 'ere then?"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:03pm

Its time wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:12am:
Now that damp squib has admitted Bill was 100% right right right all along will slomo and dwyer be getting on their knees and begging the Australian public for forgiveness after they spent years opposing any sort of enquiry looking in to their banking mates ?

Over to you rtards 

If Bill was right "all along" why didn't he do it when he was the responsible minister? never even ATTEMPTED it.

"After all, if Shorten had any grand regulatory dreams for the sector he had ample opportunity to chase them in the three years he spent as Minister for Financial Services and Superannuation."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-19/berg-no-wonder-we-hate-the-banks/7336768

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:08pm

lee wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:03pm:

Over to you rtards 

If Bill was right "all along" why didn't he do it when he was the responsible minister? never even ATTEMPTED it.

"After all, if Shorten had any grand regulatory dreams for the sector he had ample opportunity to chase them in the three years he spent as Minister for Financial Services and Superannuation."

Farq me, over how many Threads are you going to post the same irrelevance?

There is zero evidence that Shorten knew or ought have known these pricks were up to this schit which is now being exposed.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:09pm

Reality check for all persons:

POLITICIANS DON'T ADMIT THAT THEY OR THEIR PARTY IS WRONG.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:18pm

Over to you rtards 

Did you expect coalition to have higher standards than the ALP?  If you did, wouldn't you want the coalition to actually show their higher standards?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:25pm

stunspore wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:18pm:

Over to you rtards 

Did you expect coalition to have higher standards than the ALP?  If you did, wouldn't you want the coalition to actually show their higher standards?

The coalition have no standards they are puking because they could not cover up for the banks any longer, this is a coalition failure but not because of the delays only because they could not cover up the corruption any longer.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:14pm

Who really cares when Mal has done it very elegantly for her and claimed credit for it and got a rise in NewsPoll as well which has shook the union controlled Labor Party to the core and started rumors that they are plotting to rid themselves of their LiarLiability HillBilly.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm

When politicians do this they only succeed like Kelly here in making themselves look sneaky and dishonest, I have no idea why they do this to themselves.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:20pm

Dnarever wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:
When politicians do this they only succeed like Kelly here in making themselves look sneaky and dishonest, I have no idea why they do this to themselves.

Would you vote for a politician who accepted no pay?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:43pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:20pm:
Dnarever wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:

Would you vote for a politician who accepted no pay?

Yeah, I would but it would depend. Voting for a billionaire that accepted no pay would be like voting for Crassus. I would vote for me and I'd take the equivalent of the aged pension plus expenses.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:45pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:43pm:
Yeah, I would but it would depend. Voting for a billionaire that accepted no pay would be like voting for Crassus. I would vote for me and I'd take the equivalent of the aged pension plus expenses.

What if they were just an ordinary Joe Bloggs, then what?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:05pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:45pm:

Yes, aged pension or average wage and expenses, perhaps an IQ test.. No Crassus.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:05pm:

Yes, aged pension or average wage and expenses. No Crassus.

Would you be willing to elect for a longer term because of their personal sacrifice?? Say, 10 years?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:10pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:07pm:

Would you be willing to elect for a longer term because of their personal sacrifice?? Say, 10 years?

No, unless there was a clear and easy way to out them. 5 years maybe but that is too long without a way to rid ourselves of those that may get in and be bought.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #20 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:12pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:10pm:

No, unless there was a clear and easy way to out them. 5 years maybe but that is too long without a way to rid ourselves of those that may get in and be bought.

So, do you understand then why politicians aren't that keen to be 'selfless' when the voter won't reward them for being puritanical?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:30pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:12pm:

So, do you understand then why politicians aren't that keen to be 'selfless' when the voter won't reward them for being puritanical?

Because they a hogs. I'd happily serve on a low income and costs. I would not demand to be kept there. In fact if the people decided I should be gone, I'd be happy with that. I have no problem contributing to the country that has given me a pretty good life and i don't care that it has given some a more well off life than mine. Hell they would not even have to pay me a pollies pension with all it's benefits.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #22 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:32pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:30pm:

Because they a hogs. I'd happily serve on a low income and costs. I would not demand to be kept there. In fact if the people decided I should be gone, I'd be happy with that. I have no problem contributing to the country that has given me a pretty good life and i don't care that it has given some a more well off life than mine. Hell they would not even have to pay me a pollies pension with all it's benefits.

Mmm, I don't believe you're that selfless.

I'll tell you what?

You give up your position as Moderator, and then I'll believe you.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:37pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:32pm:

I'll tell you what?

Talk to FD, I've already given it up but it was not accepted. I think I might be getting some support in this which would suit me. I'd be more than happy not to moderate. If you go back and look at posts when we were appointed it might enlighten. I can honestly say I hate this job.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:39pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:37pm:

I'll tell you what?

Talk to FD, I've already given it up but it was not accepted. I think I might be getting some support in this which would suit me. I'd be more than happy not to moderate. If you go back and look at posts when we were appointed it might enlighten. I can honestly say I hate this job.

So then, follow Gandhi and engage in Moderator disobedience. FD will have to remove you then.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:48pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:39pm:

I'll tell you what?

So then, follow Gandhi and engage in Moderator disobedience. FD will have to remove you then.

That's not what will happen. People will start abusing each other, I will ignore it and it will get worse. It's bad enough as it is. Feel free to petition FD to find someone to replace me, I'll support you.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #26 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:50pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:48pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:39pm:

I'll tell you what?

That's not what will happen. People will start abusing each other, I will ignore it and it will get worse. It's bad enough as it is. Feel free to petition FD to find someone to replace me, I'll support you.

Of what thread are you moderator?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #27 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:51pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:50pm:

I'm a global moderator.

IP Logged

matty
Gold Member

Australian Politics

East Sydney
Reply #28 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 9:58am

O'Dwyer is just yet another one of the deadweight put there by LibLab as she is a woman. Complete and utter moron and a waste of space.

BILL SHORTEN WILL NEVER BE PM!!!!

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #29 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:01am

Setanta wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:51pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:50pm:

I'm a global moderator.

What perks does that get you over a MRB  Grin ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:25am

I'll tell you what?

FD can only appoint you as a moderator - he can't actually make you physically moderate.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Tell FD to hand it over to me if you like.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #31 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:47am

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:25am:

I'll tell you what?

FD can only appoint you as a moderator - he can't actually make you physically moderate.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Tell FD to hand it over to me if you like.

I'm happy for Greg to do it if sent doesn't want it

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:31pm

Good to see O'Dwyer won't back down and say 'sorry' - that last ditch might save the government.. you just never know.

It's more important to 'look strong and in charge' than it is to make the right decisions and MAN up and say when you stuffed up.

Jesus Christ - I used to call that 'Corporal Syndrome' - any fool can wear two stripes as long as they can sound as if they know what the hell they are talking about and always have a ready response, right or wrong, to any question or problem....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print