Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Manslaughter Charge Laid Ater Workplace Death (Read 1073 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Manslaughter Charge Laid Ater Workplace Death
Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:38am

Manslaughter charge laid after fatal workplace incident   

Canberra Times
April 19 2018

International construction giant Multiplex Constructions and RAR Cranes have been charged over a fatal Canberra worksite death.

The nine charges, which include a criminal count of manslaughter against a crane driver and workplace charges against company bosses, have been labelled an "extensive and unprecedented" response by ACT's work safety watchdog.

Herman Holtz, 62, was killed on August 4, 2016, after an incident involving a mobile crane on the University of Canberra Hospital construction site in Bruce.   Sad

The crane driver, who was moving an 11-tonne generator at the time of the incident, has been charged with Mr Holtz's manslaughter.

Reckless conduct charges have also been laid against the crane driver's employer, subcontractor RAR Cranes, and its crane dogman, along with principal contractor Multiplex, its site manager, site supervisor and site safety officer.

Multiplex's chief executive and RAR Cranes' managing director face charges of failure to comply with a health and safety duty.

The charges span the first two categories of the Work Health and Safety Act with maximum penalties of $3 million in fines for corporations, a $600,000 fine and five years' jail for duty holders, and a $300,000 fine and five years' jail for individuals.

WorkSafe ACT commissioner Greg Jones said the evidence suggested there were significant and systemic failures on the site, with workers' safety not taken into account.   Sad

“It is alleged that a number of people made several very poor decisions, repeatedly over a period of time, in undertaking that lift,” Mr Jones said.

“The evidence gathered under this investigation suggests that the risk of serious injury or death in what they were doing was obvious and readily apparent.

“However, despite the risks, they continued in their task which resulted in the mobile crane exceeding its design capabilities to such a degree that it overturned with tragic consequences.

“Based on the evidence obtained in relation to the circumstances surrounding this incident that resulted in the death of a person, a strong regulatory response is required and has beenprovided."

Mr Jones said that the range of charges reflected the shared responsibilities under the Work Health and Safety Act, from the boardroom to the workers conducting the activity.

“All workers, employers, their directors and managers, both on site and in the office, must ensure that safety is the number one priority,” he said.

In a statement, Multiplex said the company was doing everything it could to support Mr Holtz's family and colleagues.

"The welfare of our thousands of employees, subcontractors and suppliers is always our priority, and this fatality was a devastating event given our long history of working safely across a large workbook of projects in Australia," the statement said.

"Given this matter is now before the courts, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

RAR Cranes director Geoff Rumble said the company had not yet decided how it would plead.

"I'm not in a position to comment further at the moment," Mr Rumble said.

"We haven't even got the brief of evidence."

Canberra’s union representatives said the charges showed that chief executives and construction industry employers could not get away with disregarding safety.

The construction union and UnionsACT, in a joint statement, said the territory was the most dangerous jurisdiction for construction workers in the nation, with an average of 42 construction workers injured every month.

There were more than 600 serious injuries in the Canberra construction sector in 2016, the year of the fatality, the statement said.   Shocked

CFMEU ACT secretary Jason O’Mara said no construction worker chooses to work in an unsafe environment.

“Construction workers are forced to work unsafely through economic fear over losing their jobs, and the failure of employers to provide a safe environment,” Mr O’Mara said.

“When construction companies cut corners to save time and money, construction workers pay with their lives and livelihoods.   Sad

“It is an ongoing tragedy that construction workers are often put in a no-win situation of being either forced to work unsafely, or speak up and lose their job.”

UnionsACT secretary Alex White welcomed the charges against the companies and applauded WorkSafe for taking a strong stance in the prosecuting safety law violations.

Master Builders ACT chief executive Michael Hopkins said the charges highlighted the shared responsibility of everyone in the industry, from employers to workers, to continue to improve the industry’s safety culture and outcomes.

The matters are expected to come before the court next month.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: Manslaughter Charge Laid Ater Workplace Death
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:08am

Charging the safety officer is something new.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:11am

It’s really a hard topic, safety is thrown out the window at the end of the week and it’s 40 degrees, everyone is buggered just want to go home and that last thing needs to be done.
After all it’s been done before 1000 times everyone knows it’s dodgey as fu.. but we can all go home early.
What do u think gets done.

I am me

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:12am

Charging other workers for the death? WTF? They prolly couldnt do anything about it for fear of losing their jobs.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:18am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:12am:
Charging other workers for the death? WTF? They prolly couldnt do anything about it for fear of losing their jobs.

Spot

Crane drivers are treated a lot more strictly by WHS Inspectors because of the seriousness of their 'trade'. Not the first one I have heard of being charged, but the first I have heard for manslaughter.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:19am

Wonder how often the CFMEU were allowed in to vet safety?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:28am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:19am:

Every time they met the legal requirements for entry.

I wonder how many times they stated they were entering for safety reasons when really they had some IR bullsh1t on their agenda?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:33am

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:28am:

I wonder how many times they stated they were entering for safety reasons when really they had some IR bullsh1t on their agenda?

And how name r qualified safety officers and not stand over merchants.

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 9:58am

a)  How do you know they did not enter for safety check reasons?

b)  What part of IR is bullshit?  You would prefer anarchy?*

*in the industrial relations arena that equates to :-  "You under-mining me while I undermine you while you undermine me while I undermine you until there is nothing left"... you catch a lot more flies with honey ... but stoopid is as stoopid does... ever noticed that with Industrial Confrontation as practiced by bosses and government, all the big building site jobs cost more and more and more.. jeez - even Slime Mehajer can't make ends meet on his big projects - and he steals from contractors all the time from reports..

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 10:05am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:33am:

The ex's nephew is a contracted Workplace Safety Officer and travels from site to site in a company car and is paid a motza... funny thing is the same thing is offered by the Union as a free protection for their workers - yet management prefer to call that 'union standover' and other bullshit.

I would have thought a close co-operation of all three on a worksite would produce better results all round... but hey - don't let me trample on the big egos and tiny penises of management these days.... let's wait until their stupid approach to man-management causes the nation to collapse...

'Crisis management' - they can't even think straight without a crisis where they can try to resolve a situation by throwing their weight around - since they have no other tools in their handbags -  so they go about generating crisis after crisis, mainly by confrontation over nothing.  Seen it all before...

― John Adams

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:36pm

Worksafe officers usually hail from bureaucracy whilst union safety officers mostly come from the industry, has been my experience, which was not negligible working in the building and ancillary industries since the 70's.

Worksafe broke down into two types, ones with half a clue, and those with none.

No surprises to see people ignoring those dills.

The best safety is having responsible, and intelligent foremen, working for bosses they can tell to fook right off, without losing their job.

I would be dead if I followed the instructions of dumb bosses, I always had the balls to tell them to take a hike and leave it to the professionals.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:47pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 9:58am:

*in the industrial relations arena that equates to :-  "You under-mining me while I undermine you while you undermine me while I undermine you until there is nothing left"... you catch a lot more flies with honey ... but stoopid is as stoopid does... ever noticed that with Industrial Confrontation as practiced by bosses and government, all the big building site jobs cost more and more and more.. jeez - even Slime Mehajer can't make ends meet on his big projects - and he steals from contractors all the time from reports..

Why do  answer a question with a question?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:48pm

That is not english, have another go.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 2:03pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:47pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 9:58am:

Why do  answer a question with a question?

Why do you ask?

― John Adams

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 2:53pm

BigOl64 wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:48pm:

That is not english, have another go.

I know I just re read what I wrote and hoped no one noticed
I should of said
And how many are qualified safety officers and not stand over merchants

I am me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print