Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
God is dead, long live the God (Read 2351 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

God is dead, long live the God
Apr 19th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Is climate denialism, and even more specifically belief in an ice age now the new religion?

Anybody who has read even part of the Booby-Monk “debate” in the New Ice Age™ thread can see Booby displays typical religious behavior—no debate as to the facts, we are supposed to take the gospel of the Ice Age™ on faith. I don’t think Booby ever engaged in anything that could be called real debate.

An ice age that depends on a Grand Solar Minimum to kickstart it. A GSM would bring 0.3°C cooling, compared to 1.2°C warming since 1850. The actual Little Ice Age was like 0.5°C cooler than early 20th century temperatures and the globe has warmed significantly since then.

So nothing about the GSM/Ice Age religion makes sense—just like a real religion. The cult, for some here, has a messiah, one David Dubyne, an oil seed salesman who knows nothing about astrophysics, climate or any real science.

I caught him out in a lie “Arctic temperatures are recovering”—recovering from what? Arctic is just coming out of the winter, a winter Dubyne said did not suffer warming. So what exactly is the Arctic (Arctic temperatures) recovering from???

No answer was given to my question, very cult/religion like.

So—is belief in an ice age now by a collection of flakes a new religion?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:58pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: God is dead, long live the God
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:13pm

How is this related to Atheism?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 1:57pm

God is dead, long live the god.

A consequence of atheism by those who now have no guiding star in their life? AGW denialism as a cause ’cause god is dead?

I thought it was obvious.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 8:25am

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 5:53pm:
Is climate denialism, and even more specifically belief in an ice age now the new religion?

Anybody who has read even part of the Booby-Monk “debate” in the New Ice Age™ thread can see Booby displays typical religious behavior—no debate as to the facts, we are supposed to take the gospel of the Ice Age™ on faith. I don’t think Booby ever engaged in anything that could be called real debate.

An ice age that depends on a Grand Solar Minimum to kickstart it. A GSM would bring 0.3°C cooling, compared to 1.2°C warming since 1850. The actual Little Ice Age was like 0.5°C cooler than early 20th century temperatures and the globe has warmed significantly since then.

So nothing about the GSM/Ice Age religion makes sense—just like a real religion. The cult, for some here, has a messiah, one David Dubyne, an oil seed salesman who knows nothing about astrophysics, climate or any real science.

I caught him out in a lie “Arctic temperatures are recovering”—recovering from what? Arctic is just coming out of the winter, a winter Dubyne said did not suffer warming. So what exactly is the Arctic (Arctic temperatures) recovering from???

No answer was given to my question, very [highlight]cult/religion[/highlight] like.

So—is belief in an ice age now by a collection of flakes a new religion?

Your perspective has merit, except for the God is dead bit. I assume you are talking about religion in context of unseen realm and creator worship. They are all cults, with a certain fixation. For example, Catholicism is the Cult of the Virgin. If your cult passes a certain number of followers, it has the quasi-respectability of a religion bestowed on it. But that is only a convention. Its still a cult.

Global warming denialists can believe Polar bears are faking their loss of territory, and that Pacific atolls are not being inundated. At best, they claim these things are part of a nature.

Some how, they are able to believe that the burning of fossil fuels in ever expanding volumes since 1820, has had no effect on the atmosphere.

The ever expanding air travel business burns fossil fuel in the upper atmosphere to no effect on climate.

They also don't think the gargantuan use of fuel and explosives in mechanised wars have had any atmospheric effect. Ships and cities destroyed don't happen in a vacuum, they release toxins and gases in the flames.

Aerial bombing WW2 = 3.4 million tons. Vietnam = 7 million tons. Desert Storm Iraq = 88,000 tons in 42 days

Add to this plague-like deforestation, and the Denialists simple say, it natural, or it not happening at all.

Oh did I mention nuclear testing? Over 2000 detonations in ever increasing sizes.

Denialists are like Flat-Earthers, their horizon is pitifully small.

The God is dead bit, doesn't go anywhere, because no one agrees on God in the first place. That is why the cults and religions keep subdividing.

Caveat: I refuse the trichotomy of Godist, Atheist, Agnostic. There are other, gown up, ways to look at reality.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 10:40am

Belief in gods is down, tho. That is what “God is dead” means.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 4:34pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 10:40am:
Belief in gods is down, tho. That is what “God is dead” means.

Perhaps in the West, but that may be temporary. We are watching liberal-progressive society give new credit to imported religions and new-age nonsense "spirituality," that their Leftist great grandparents would have laughed at, or have considered reactionary.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:06am

SSpiritualism, meditation etc—all new gods to replace God.

As India and China improve the lot their poor rural peasants belief in gods and religion there will fade like it has here. Happy clapper churches, Southern Baptists etc go to extremes to convince themselves there is a god after all.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:08am

Leaders:

Politics: President
Military: Emperor
Entertainment: King
Religion: God
Sports: Champion
Culinary: (No 'leader' title yet, so far, maybe will so from Oceania?)
Medicine: Doctor (so far, no 'leader' title reached, maybe will so from Oceania?)
Aviation: Ace
Aquatics: ?
Land: ?
City: ? (Citi-Zen?)
Conservation: ? (snake)

...kinda puts 'God' into perspective and brings 'him' down to earth as a shared experience.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:39pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:06am:
SSpiritualism, meditation etc—all new gods to replace God.

As India and China improve the lot their poor rural peasants belief in gods and religion there will fade like it has here. Happy clapper churches, Southern Baptists etc go to extremes to convince themselves there is a god after all.

I am sure it has already begun. However, I think the population explosion will out pace the fade you speak of. I am not one for predictions, but a combination of expanding human numbers, the associated shrinking of resources, and rampant consumerism, are unlikely to leave much opportunity for pondering larger questions.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2018 at 7:47pm

With what is about to happen in the Arctic and consequent to that. . .I predict a decrease in the number of atheists by end next week.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2023 at 4:55pm

This Topic was moved here from Atheism by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print