Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Yassmin v Anzac Day (Read 1591 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Yassmin v Anzac Day
Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:20pm

Well, Anzac Day is approaching and I want to duke it out with anyone who wants to condemn her concerning her 'Lest we Forget' comment.

I reckon they were totally appropriate and not in any way disrespectful of Anzac Day.  If anything, what she said honoured the Anzacs.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Yassmin v Anzac Day
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:26pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:20pm:
Well, Anzac Day is approaching and I want to duke it out with anyone who wants to condemn her concerning her 'Lest we Forget' comment.

I reckon they were totally appropriate and not in any way disrespectful of Anzac Day.  If anything, what she said honoured the Anzacs.

Richard Flanagan writing: “Because evil was being done to the innocent, and to that truth there is finally no justification that even the most powerful could make.”

I'll be quoting him a tad more in this discussion.  He spoke brilliantly at the National Press Club today.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:40pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:26pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:20pm:

Richard Flanagan writing: “Because evil was being done to the innocent, and to that truth there is finally no justification that even the most powerful could make.”

I'll be quoting him a tad more in this discussion.  He spoke brilliantly at the National Press Club today.

Loads of people lives where shattered by those wars and the consequences still linger today. It's very emotive territory. If your father died etc  seeing that comment would p iss your off royally. Yassmin is only new to the country and obviously didn't understand how powerful Lest We Forget is. It's like laughing at a funeral.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:54pm

And she used that expression to honour and enlist its 'power.'  There was no disrespect at all, and the jackals who hounded her are ignorant virtue signallers, and bigots.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
And she used that expression to honour and enlist its 'power.'  There was no disrespect at all, and the jackals who hounded her are ignorant virtue signallers, and bigots.

She was saying how hypocritical we are. We honour our war dead but have people in camps. It was a shot at wider white Australia. It was very well thought out. Very insensitive but intelligent. She likes headline grabbing strategies and Lest We Forget got the attention she wanted.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:08pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:59pm:

She was saying how hypocritical we are. We honour our war dead but have people in camps. It was a shot at wider white Australia. It was very well thought out. Very insensitive but intelligent. She likes headline grabbing strategies and Lest We Forget got the attention she wanted.

What is wrong with highlighting the plight of innocent people held in disgraceful detention camps in Hell holes like Manus and Nauru?  Many of those there were fleeing the very thing Anzacs fought to prevent....."The War to end all Wars"....except.....

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:13pm

There's issues behind the Yassmin  saga that fuelled the over reaction  Aussie. People are sick of politically correct lefties, (especially migrants) and Islam. And aussies feel like their culture is under fire. These comments always seem to pop up on ANZAC Day or Australia Day. It's a cumulation of conditions that spread the fire. And going ballistic on Q&A because her beloved sharia was insulted. It showed people she is willing to give out but can't take it back.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:13pm:
There's issues behind the Yassmin  saga that fuelled the over reaction  Aussie. People are sick of politically correct lefties, (especially migrants) and Islam. And aussies feel like their culture is under fire. These comments always seem to pop up on ANZAC Day or Australia Day. It's a cumulation of conditions that spread the fire. And going ballistic on Q&A because her beloved sharia was insulted. It showed people she is willing to give out but can't take it back.

I am hoping to keep this to the comments she made "Lest we forget....Manus" etc.  The attack on her over that was utterly misconceived and appallingly ignorant.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

I am hoping to keep this to the comments she made "Lest we forget....Manus" etc.  The attack on her over that was utterly misconceived and appallingly ignorant.

But it wasn't just about the comment. It's her.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:25pm

This is only about that comment:

Quote:

What was so wrong about her making it and using that expression "Lest we forget...." etc.  I say it was totally appropriate and used in completely relevant context.

Do you agree?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:25pm:

Quote:

What was so wrong about her making it and using that expression "Lest we forget...." etc.  I say it was totally appropriate and used in completely relevant context.

Do you agree?

Because it was a shot at aussies on ANZAC Day. That's what it was. You are looking at it as something that it is not.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:20pm:

Huh. In another thread there were ppl saying it wasnt about her it was the comment.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:20pm:

Huh. In another thread there were ppl saying it wasnt about her it was the comment.

Spot

She was in the news before that comment. It started with her on Q&A.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:34pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 3:59pm:

She drew attention to it and it is/was true. Needed attention drawn to it.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:25pm:

Quote:

Do you agree?

Because it was a shot at aussies on ANZAC Day. That's what it was. You are looking at it as something that it is not.

No, it was not.  It was invoking an Anzac Spirit to not forget the poor bastards, the victims of War, stuck in Hell holes like Manus and Nauru.  It was used in honour of the expression, not abuse of it, or disrespect of it.  Quite the opposite.  She was harnessing its gravitas quite relevantly.

'Lest we forget' those who suffered and died as a consequence of War.....and that includes people made to suffer some more by Australians in schitt holes of our creation.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print