Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fanally a electric car in Aus i could use (Read 3533 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Fanally a electric car in Aus i could use
Apr 15th, 2018 at 12:37pm

It looks like the Hyundai Kona is coming to Australia soon, as soon as end of the year but id say year after that its the first electric car is could afford with enough range to get here. A Model X is around $200000 here
The new Nissan is supposed to be here as well but until the 500k range comes in I wouldn't be interested.
I live about 200kms from work and even though a 250km vehicle would do the job knowing one could take me to work and back home again would be better.
The ice version of the kona tows 1500kg and I'm hoping for at least 1000kg so I can tow my old caravan around.
I live in Queensland and the government are making a charging station path for free along the coast, so if all goes well next year it will be done and I can camp up and down for free.
Well free isn't really the word the base 4wd ice is $30000 and the electric is said to be $50000
I was also thinking that with its 7kva onboard charger I can go from Caravan park to caravan park and recharge the kona at night.
At the moment my van is solar and I free camp but I pay for fuel, a hot shower at night and Aircon during summer for the same price a day is interesting.

I am me

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Re: Fanally a electric car in Aus i could use
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 7:02pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 12:37pm:
It looks like the Hyundai Kona is coming to Australia soon, as soon as end of the year but id say year after that its the first electric car is could afford with enough range to get here. A Model X is around $200000 here
The new Nissan is supposed to be here as well but until the 500k range comes in I wouldn't be interested.
I live about 200kms from work and even though a 250km vehicle would do the job knowing one could take me to work and back home again would be better.
The ice version of the kona tows 1500kg and I'm hoping for at least 1000kg so I can tow my old caravan around.
I live in Queensland and the government are making a charging station path for free along the coast, so if all goes well next year it will be done and I can camp up and down for free.
Well free isn't really the word the base 4wd ice is $30000 and the electric is said to be $50000
I was also thinking that with its 7kva onboard charger I can go from Caravan park to caravan park and recharge the kona at night.
At the moment my van is solar and I free camp but I pay for fuel, a hot shower at night and Aircon during summer for the same price a day is interesting.
For sure, I think the market(and yourself as part of that market) demanding higher standards for electric makes sense otherwise there is no progress.
Markets are supposed to represent progress, ideally.

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:41am

DDH,

what will the caravan park charge you for recharging your Kona if they catch on to what you are doing ?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 8:20pm

juliar wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:41am:
DDH,

what will the caravan park charge you for recharging your Kona if they catch on to what you are doing ?

well I guess that's up to them, but if it was too much I'm sure ppl will go elsewhere, I'm sure a app will be made to show the best places when this happens like most things
Or charging spots in free campsites, there's always someone figuring out how to make money

I am me

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 3:28pm

But you WONT buy one, will you?  EV zealots like you constantly moan and whine and then never actually buy one.  Just like toenail.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:45am

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 19th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
But you WONT buy one, will you?  EV zealots like you constantly moan and whine and then never actually buy one.  Just like toenail.

U know nothing about me, but hay don’t let that get in the road of a good rant.
As far as I know u could own a oil well or u could be 100 years old and in a home. Either way still makes u a troll

I am me

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:30am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 7:45am:

As far as I know u could own a oil well or u could be 100 years old and in a home. Either way still makes u a troll

My point is that ALL EV zealots online dont own nor ever intend to buy an EV.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:31pm

longweekend58 wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:30am:

When australia catches up with the rest of the world and u can actually get one we will see
Did u have this line with rooftop solar a few years ago ?

I am me

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:46pm

What classifies a zealot? Anyone who disagrees with your opinion?

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:08pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:46pm:

What classifies a zealot? Anyone who disagrees with your opinion?

A zealot is someone whose opinion ignores all evidence that is contrary to their opinion. It is also someone who passionately and often disgracefully decries all opinions that vary in the slightest from the zealots opinion. Look at lastnail as an example... If you agree in general but disagree on a small point, he will jump on you... ie ZEALOT.

And EV ambassador or promoter would recognise - as EV ambassadors do - that range and recharge anxiety is a definite problem with EVs. Such people talk up EV advantages but do not deny the existence of limitations. They talk of the problems with petrol cars but do not ignore their advantages.

Zealots add nothing to any debate because they bring nothing to it. And yes, I've never yet seen or heard an EV zealot who actually owns one. I consider that to be a rather telling point.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:09pm

I have range and recharge anxiety, but I'm also aware that those problems wont be solved if we use them as excuses never to develop or buy electric cars.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:10pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:31pm:

When australia catches up with the rest of the world and u can actually get one we will see
Did u have this line with rooftop solar a few years ago ?

Because I am not a zealot or an ideologue, I got a 10Kw solar system when it became COST EFFECTIVE. It will pay for itself in under 3 years.

Teslas are available here already and very few own them and even then, only the rich. when EVs become practical and useful I will get one too. But until then, they are a toy for the rich to own and the zealot to scream about (but not own)/

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:16pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:09pm:
I have range and recharge anxiety, but I'm also aware that those problems wont be solved if we use them as excuses never to develop or buy electric cars.

You misunderstand me. I have no ideological problems with EVs. My problems are very much pragmatic ones. Why would I - or anyone else for that matter - buy a car that costs twice as much as a regular car and yet cannot go as far or be as convenient? I wouldn't... and no one else does either - hence the 0.5% sales so far.

Why on earth should I consider a car which has such significant limitations? And I am seriously doubting how recharge time issues will ever be fixed and certainly not in a way that will ever compare to the convenience of petrol. The entire reasons we have petrol cars int he first place is that it is the world's densest energy source that is plentiful and easily transported. Simply, it works and works well.

If we had any brains we would be using hydrogen as a fuel such as the BMW trial. it is emissions free and is effectively an electrical storage device that is actually refillable quickly and relatively easily. And the entire range of existing cars can use it with minimal change to engines.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:26pm

Quote:
GENEVA MOTOR SHOW
HYUNDAI
KONA
This is the Hyundai Kona Electric. It is, somewhat predictably, a plug-in, zero-emission version of the little Kona crossover.

It launches with two different electric powertrains. A base version has a 186-mile range, 133bhp and a 0-62mph time of 9.3sec.

The one you probably want, though, is the ‘long-range’ version. As well as offering a claimed 292 miles between charges, it also has 201bhp and an almost hot hatch-like 7.6sec 0-62 sprint.

Mind, both have the same 291lb ft of torque (more than a Porsche 718 Cayman, or a 996 GT3) and their 104mph top speeds are identical. Naturally, the long-range version takes longer to charge, too; around 10 hours when it’s plugged into regular mains. The base Kona Electric can apparently gain 80 per cent of charge (so around 150 miles of driving) in an hour if you have a fast charger.
The Kona Electric looks suitably different to the standard Kona, so you’ll be able to shout about your eco credentials a bit. The grille is closed off and there are new 17in alloy wheels, though the regular car’s seeming infinite colour combinations are still available.

Inside, there’s a new centre console so account for the lack of a conventional gearbox, though there are paddleshifters behind the wheel, which are used to adjust how much energy the car recuperates under braking.

There’s loads more tech beneath the skin, too; there’s the bare bones of a self-driving car, with lane-keep assist, semi-autonomous cruise control and emergency braking with pedestrian detection. There’s also connection for every smartphone you can name, and you can pop your device onto a wireless charger if it’s new enough..............

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/hyundai-kona-electric-little-...

that looks very good.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:45pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:26pm:

Quote:
GENEVA MOTOR SHOW
HYUNDAI
KONA
This is the Hyundai Kona Electric. It is, somewhat predictably, a plug-in, zero-emission version of the little Kona crossover.

It launches with two different electric powertrains. A base version has a 186-mile range, 133bhp and a 0-62mph time of 9.3sec.

The one you probably want, though, is the ‘long-range’ version. As well as offering a claimed 292 miles between charges, it also has 201bhp and an almost hot hatch-like 7.6sec 0-62 sprint.

Mind, both have the same 291lb ft of torque (more than a Porsche 718 Cayman, or a 996 GT3) and their 104mph top speeds are identical. Naturally, the long-range version takes longer to charge, too; around 10 hours when it’s plugged into regular mains. The base Kona Electric can apparently gain 80 per cent of charge (so around 150 miles of driving) in an hour if you have a fast charger.
The Kona Electric looks suitably different to the standard Kona, so you’ll be able to shout about your eco credentials a bit. The grille is closed off and there are new 17in alloy wheels, though the regular car’s seeming infinite colour combinations are still available.

Inside, there’s a new centre console so account for the lack of a conventional gearbox, though there are paddleshifters behind the wheel, which are used to adjust how much energy the car recuperates under braking.

There’s loads more tech beneath the skin, too; there’s the bare bones of a self-driving car, with lane-keep assist, semi-autonomous cruise control and emergency braking with pedestrian detection. There’s also connection for every smartphone you can name, and you can pop your device onto a wireless charger if it’s new enough..............

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/hyundai-kona-electric-little-...

that looks very good.

hard to take seriously an article that claims the EV Kona has more torque than a 718 Cayman when that isnt true. And comparing 9.3sec to 100km/hr and the caymans 4.9sec makes the claim even stupider.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print