Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Cat Stevens vs Salman Rushdie (Read 13925 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: Cat Stevens vs Salman Rushdie
Reply #150 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:52pm

freediver wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
Auggie, its in the op.

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:37pm:
Freediver wrote....
Quote:
So spot and phil have no problem with Muslims calling for the death of people who criticise Islam, so long as there is some vague, unspoken desire to also get the paperwork in order?

Do you actually believe cat never called for Rushdie's death?

I believe all religion is crap but I prefer to let people speak for themselves???

Huh Huh Huh

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Steven Weinberg (1933 - ), quoted in The New York Times, April 20, 1999

Do you believe what they say?

I believe Cat Stevens gave a perfectly reasonable explanation about his comment....Why shouldn't I believe him....His full response can be found in the link below if you are bothered to read it???

Huh Huh Huh

https://www.news24.com/Columnists/GuestColumn/i-never-called-for-the-death-of-sa...

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #151 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:55pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:52pm:
Auggie, its in the op.

Freediver wrote....
Quote:
So spot and phil have no problem with Muslims calling for the death of people who criticise Islam, so long as there is some vague, unspoken desire to also get the paperwork in order?

I believe all religion is crap but I prefer to let people speak for themselves???

Huh Huh Huh

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

I believe Cat Stevens gave a perfectly reasonable explanation about his comment....Why shouldn't I believe him....His full response can be found in the link below if you are bothered to read it???

Huh Huh Huh

https://www.news24.com/Columnists/GuestColumn/i-never-called-for-the-death-of-sa...

The issue I often find with people who make such controversial statements is that they are in a state of cognitive dissonance.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #152 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:01pm

Where is there any evidence that Stevens suffers from cognitive dissonance.....(such a lofty expression which basically means....having two conflicting positions or hyposcrisy.)

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #153 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:04pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
Where is there any evidence that Stevens suffers from cognitive dissonance.....(such a lofty expression which basically means....having two conflicting positions or hyposcrisy.)

The fact that he made one point, and then later on retracted it or altered it to mean something different indicates cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance creates a feeling of discomfort when a person realizes something. I have no doubt that Cat Stevens felt uncomfortable by his initial comments.

EDIT: "In A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance (1957), Leon Festinger proposed that human beings strive for internal psychological consistency in order to mentally function in the real world. A person who experiences internal inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and is motivated to reduce the cognitive dissonance. This is done by making changes to justify their stressful behavior, either by adding new parts to the cognition causing the psychological dissonance, or by actively avoiding social situations and/or contradictory information likely to increase the magnitude of the cognitive dissonance.[1]"

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #154 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:09pm

Cat explained himself because he felt he needed to set the record straight so why would he do that....Some people will never let the truth change their beliefs???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #155 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:04pm:

The fact that he made one point, and then later on retracted it or altered it to mean something different indicates cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance creates a feeling of discomfort when a person realizes something. I have no doubt that Cat Stevens felt uncomfortable by his initial comments.

EDIT: "In A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance (1957), Leon Festinger proposed that human beings strive for internal psychological consistency in order to mentally function in the real world. A person who experiences internal inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and is motivated to reduce the cognitive dissonance. This is done by making changes to justify their stressful behavior, either by adding new parts to the cognition causing the psychological dissonance, or by actively avoiding social situations and/or contradictory information likely to increase the magnitude of the cognitive dissonance.[1]"

There is an abundance of definitions Caesar.  I leave that smart arse language for others.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #156 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Unforgiven wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
Looks like there could be fewer people visiting Cat Man Do when he sings...

Grappler is a disciple of FreeDiver and a surreptitious, sneaky, bigot.

Nonsense undeserving of the light of day.... stick it back where it belongs and don't forget to wash your hands.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #157 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:29pm

Auggie, its in the op.

Freediver wrote....
Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

Huh Huh Huh

Never called for Rushdie's death - just said he should die.. world of difference to a corpse....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #158 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:48pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:25pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:04pm:

There is an abundance of definitions Caesar.  I leave that smart arse language for others.

Oki dokey.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #159 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:49pm

People do not "suffer" from cognitive dissidence, it is not an affliction, it is a description of stupidity, where a lying twat says any shite no matter how contradictory it is.

It would be like I suffer from smart arsery, as nif me being a smart arse is a mental disease I suffer from.
No, it is a choice I make, and those around me have to suffer it.

Same diff.

Cat is full of crap. I watched it the first time, I know what he said, I watched him say it.
I know what he meant, he was not unclear, or "joking" as he now lies.
100% gold plated take it to the bank, utter bald faced lying fricking muslom BS.
And that folks is the Alpha and Omega of this whole argument.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #160 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 8:17am

Auggie, its in the op.

Freediver wrote....
Quote:

Huh Huh Huh

Huh Huh Huh

Do you believe his claim that he did not call for Rushdie's death?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #161 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:48am

mozzaok wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

People do not "suffer" from cognitive dissidence, it is not an affliction, it is a description of stupidity, where a lying twat says any shite no matter how contradictory it is.

It would be like I suffer from smart arsery, as nif me being a smart arse is a mental disease I suffer from.

Same diff.

Cat is full of crap. I watched it the first time, I know what he said, I watched him say it.
100% gold plated take it to the bank, utter bald faced lying fricking muslom BS.

Actually, cognitive dissonance as it was originally conceived by social psychologists, isn't really conscious at all, and isn't merely a case of lying.

In the original experiment, subjects were asked to perform the most menial and boring task imaginable (turning cogs) for a very long time. But one group was paid $1 to do it, while the other group was paid $20 for doing the same task. When asked what they thought of the task afterwards, the people who were paid $20 simply said it was boring as hell. However the people who were paid $1 ended up saying that the task was ok, or even interesting. Why? Clearly the people who were paid $20 received a relatively generous compensation for the task, and so they had no qualms about being upfront about what they thought about the task. It was boring as hell, but they were ok with that because they were paid decently for it. On the other hand, the other group found themselves in an internal conflict - they did a poo task, and worse still got poo compensation for it. Why? This conflict, or "cognitive dissonance" could only be resolved by literally convincing themselves, internally, that somehow they actually didn't simply do the task for no reason - and that was because it was actually somehow fun or interesting for them.

Thats what cognitive dissonance is - an internal process that resolves a contradiction in the person's beliefs (ie, in the experiment, the belief that I would never do a crap task for no good reason or compensation). If we were to put it in Cat's perspective, we can argue that he really did say Salman should die, but after that his belief system changed. And I guess short of actually admitting he was wrong, the next best thing to resolve the dissonance is to convince himself that he never said such a thing. Who knows, maybe he really believes it, even if its clear to us its rubbish.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #162 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:15pm

Unforgiven wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 4:21pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:00pm:
Looks like there could be fewer people visiting Cat Man Do when he sings...

Grappler is a disciple of FreeDiver and a surreptitious, sneaky, bigot.

And you are not?  Grin Grin Grin

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #163 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 4:50pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:48am:

Same diff.

Actually, cognitive dissonance as it was originally conceived by social psychologists, isn't really conscious at all, and isn't merely a case of lying.

In the original experiment, subjects were asked to perform the most menial and boring task imaginable (turning cogs) for a very long time. But one group was paid $1 to do it, while the other group was paid $20 for doing the same task. When asked what they thought of the task afterwards, the people who were paid $20 simply said it was boring as hell. However the people who were paid $1 ended up saying that the task was ok, or even interesting. Why? Clearly the people who were paid $20 received a relatively generous compensation for the task, and so they had no qualms about being upfront about what they thought about the task. It was boring as hell, but they were ok with that because they were paid decently for it. On the other hand, the other group found themselves in an internal conflict - they did a poo task, and worse still got poo compensation for it. Why? This conflict, or "cognitive dissonance" could only be resolved by literally convincing themselves, internally, that somehow they actually didn't simply do the task for no reason - and that was because it was actually somehow fun or interesting for them.

Thats what cognitive dissonance is - an internal process that resolves a contradiction in the person's beliefs (ie, in the experiment, the belief that I would never do a crap task for no good reason or compensation). If we were to put it in Cat's perspective, we can argue that he really did say Salman should die, but after that his belief system changed. And I guess short of actually admitting he was wrong, the next best thing to resolve the dissonance is to convince himself that he never said such a thing. Who knows, maybe he really believes it, even if its clear to us its rubbish.

Yeah, that's what I said, it is a description of people bullshiteing.
People say that someone is suffering from cognitive dissonance when they appear to believe their own bullshite.
You know the kind of stuff,
"Islam is a religion of peace, and I will kick the shi'ite out of anyone who disagrees"

That is cognitive dissonance in a nutshell, even without any $1 or $20 windups.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #164 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 8:44pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:48am:

Same diff.

Is that where your mindless collective of treacherous Jews meme comes from - the cognitive dissonance between the wishy washy western liberal morals you grew up with and the violent, backwards ideology you adopted? Blame the Jews.

Perhaps Phil is going through the same cognitive dissonance that Cat did, and actually believes Cat never called for Rushdie's death.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print