Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Cat Stevens vs Salman Rushdie (Read 13935 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Cat Stevens vs Salman Rushdie
Reply #120 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:28pm

Sam Morris wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
Cat was legendary... who knows why he went Muslim ... does anybody know anyone who has and asked them why?

You could ask Gandalf(member here).

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #121 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:29pm

freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:04pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
So Brian has no problem with Cat Stevens calling for the death of Salman Rushdie. Not just calling for his death, but saying he "must die" for insulting Muhammad - so long as the paperwork is all in order. This is what Islam does to people's morals. It replaces them with mindless obedience to barbaric law.

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:24am:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 9:55pm:
Quote:
At the end of the debate he asked me to imagine if Salman Rushdie was taken to court in Britain and the Jury found him 'not guilty' of any crime – blasphemy or otherwise – and dismissed the case, what I would do. I clearly stated that I would have to accept the decision and fully abide by the law! And that was no joke.[1]

[Source]

Funny, how if you read the whole wikipedia article on Yusuf Islam's comments about Rushdie, it appears he was deliberately and provocatively misquoted by Robertson...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So you don't have a problem with Cat's views on killing Rushdie?

Yusuf?  "Cat" no longer exists, it was a made up name anyway, FD.

No, I don't have problems with his views.  He is entitled to voice them.  Afterall, you claim you support Freedom of Speech, now don't you?  Do you have a problem with him voicing his opinion?

I would have problems if he decided to act on those views, just as I would have problems if you decided to act on your Islamophobia.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

The bit that Brian left out:

Gordon wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
On 21 February 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear – if someone defames the prophet, then he must die."[4]

It's freedom of speech, FD. A person is allowed to voice to their views openly. BR made this very clear.

You're twisting his words to make it look as though he 'supports' those actions. BR never said that he supported those actions.

Do you think Brian has a problem with Cat's views?

Ever heard of the quote: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it?"

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Sam Morris

Reply #122 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:36pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Cat was legendary... who knows why he went Muslim ... does anybody know anyone who has and asked them why?

I would prefer it came from the horses mouth not some Muslim wannabe.  I reckon that those who become Muslim, must be like those who become Born Again Christians. I can't understand either ... dead is dead, there is no heaven, you will never see your long lost rellies again ... ever.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #123 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:40pm

Sam Morris wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:36pm:

I would prefer it came from the horses mouth not some Muslim wannabe.  I reckon that those who become Muslim, must be like those who become Born Again Christians. I can't understand either ... dead is dead, there is no heaven, you will never see your long lost rellies again ... ever.

You asked... Gandalf went Muslim and you get the chance to ask him yourself why. That was your question, wasn't it?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #124 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:47pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:40pm:

You asked... Gandalf went Muslim and you get the chance to ask him yourself why. That was your question, wasn't it?

Well - he smells like a horse... and like a horse can be lead to water.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #125 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:45pm

I reckon that those who become Muslim, must be like those who become Born Again Christians.

I can't understand either ... dead is dead, there is no heaven, you will never see your long lost rellies again ... ever.

That is so cruel.

Tryin, to cause me to lose my faith.

Tryin to make me believe that i will never see my long lost rellies again ... ever.

Its just cruel, cruel, cruel.

Such an insensitive, and cruel person.

I'm just so offended,        AND HURT.     [....can you feeeeel my hurt??? ]

There ought to be a law against it!

Cruel people like you, oughtn't be able to hurt my feelings.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #126 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:02am

If you have a despairing need for such a faith - you never had faith in yourself, and thus could not make a valid judgement on needing such a faith....

Anyone who feels the need to cling to such a life preserver is not a person in full command of his or her self....... God by any number of names and I should enjoy a decent discussion of realities down here some time..... his software needs updating...... severely..... and He or She is sadly misinformed by those vested with the privilege of passing on software updates and upgrades.

That's what happens in a massive corporation where you need to delegate responsibilities and rely on reports... and many such intermediaries are chosen for the wrong reasons and are bricks with a gold veneer bent on personal aggrandizement rather than the will of the corporation ....

Any such intermediary who says he/she knows it all is a liar and a thief of the wages of the Godhead.

You see your long, lost rellies (etc) every day in yourself - that is why I write books (sometimes) - because the stories of who they were and are to this day within me are the only true reality they still possess.... and they are not forgotten..... we owe them that much...... and sometimes more than that.

If you fail to pass down who they were and why - you have failed them.... and you will not see them in some Paradise...... but your descendants may see them in your writings... with all their faults and their golden points as well.... for none of us is perfect, Grasshopper....

LIVE this - do not die to seek it.... there is no seeking beyond death........ but much forgetting....
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:12am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #127 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:34am

@ Reply #126

No, no,    Grappler.

Sam Morris [Reply #122] is a very cruel person.

The behaviour of such people [Sam Morris] [on forums such as this] needs to be curbed,
to protect my feelings!

How dare he/she think that he/she has a right to offend people [like myself] who may read his/her views!

Don't be a heartless person Grappler.

You too, need to join this protest,        against insensitive and cruel people,
who think that they can say anything that they want to,         express, any opinion they want to.

Its an utterly outrageous proposition/idea.

What about our [MY] feelings!!!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:29am

God is a security blaket for some and an imaginary friend to others. But as stated above, there are more underlying issues with believers in that they are not thinking of themselves as their superior.

It also fascinates me how believers will refer to their god as "him". Well most do.
That to me is playing the superior being complex. It works great with the owners of the world who act as superior beings to us peasants.....well they try anyway.
They still bleed red and one thing WE all have in common is "death". Like it or not no one is exempt.

In the end we are nothing but a programed conscience.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #129 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:27am

Captain Caveman wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:29am:

God is a security blaket for some...

Yes, but he is       MY       security blanket.

What is wrong with me wanting to be warm, in the cold dark night ???

You are cruel,          just like Sam!

Yadda [aka Linus]

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #130 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:09am

Cat stevens is proof that islam is a toxic turd of a religion.

If it can turn Mr Peace train to supporting murder is it any wonder there are so many muslims willing to kill and die for their false prophet.

It's time we flush this toxic turd religion.

IBI

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #131 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:22am

To be fair it is best to let the Cat speak for himself!!!

Quote:
Cat Stevens: I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie

Yusuf/Cat Stevens

I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini – and still don’t. The book [Satanic Verses] itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis.

When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that – like both the Torah and the Gospel – the Qur’an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offence. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you’re looking for them. However, the application of such Biblical and Qur’anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole.

The accusation that I supported the Fatwa, therefore, is wholly false and misleading. It was due to my naivety in trying to answer a loaded question posed by a journalist, after a harmless biographical lecture I gave to students in Kingston University in 1989, which unleashed the infamous headline above.

Fair enough IMO!!!

Cool Cool Cool

https://www.news24.com/Columnists/GuestColumn/i-never-called-for-the-death-of-sa...

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #132 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:52am

Meow

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #133 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:08pm

So spot and phil have no problem with Muslims calling for the death of people who criticise Islam, so long as there is some vague, unspoken desire to also get the paperwork in order?

Do you actually believe cat never called for Rushdie's death?

Auggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:29pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:04pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
So Brian has no problem with Cat Stevens calling for the death of Salman Rushdie. Not just calling for his death, but saying he "must die" for insulting Muhammad - so long as the paperwork is all in order. This is what Islam does to people's morals. It replaces them with mindless obedience to barbaric law.

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:24am:
Quote:
At the end of the debate he asked me to imagine if Salman Rushdie was taken to court in Britain and the Jury found him 'not guilty' of any crime – blasphemy or otherwise – and dismissed the case, what I would do. I clearly stated that I would have to accept the decision and fully abide by the law! And that was no joke.[1]

[Source]

Funny, how if you read the whole wikipedia article on Yusuf Islam's comments about Rushdie, it appears he was deliberately and provocatively misquoted by Robertson...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So you don't have a problem with Cat's views on killing Rushdie?

Yusuf?  "Cat" no longer exists, it was a made up name anyway, FD.

No, I don't have problems with his views.  He is entitled to voice them.  Afterall, you claim you support Freedom of Speech, now don't you?  Do you have a problem with him voicing his opinion?

I would have problems if he decided to act on those views, just as I would have problems if you decided to act on your Islamophobia.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

The bit that Brian left out:

Gordon wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
On 21 February 1989, Yusuf Islam addressed students at Kingston University in London about his conversion to Islam and was asked about the controversy in the Muslim world and the fatwa calling for Salman Rushdie's execution. He replied, "He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear – if someone defames the prophet, then he must die."[4]

It's freedom of speech, FD. A person is allowed to voice to their views openly. BR made this very clear.

You're twisting his words to make it look as though he 'supports' those actions. BR never said that he supported those actions.

Do you think Brian has a problem with Cat's views?

Ever heard of the quote: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it?"

Is that what Brian said?
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:15pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #134 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Wow FD you sure read a lot into "meow"

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!