Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Yassmin Abdel-Magied deported from USA (Read 18504 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Yassmin Abdel-Magied deported from USA
Apr 12th, 2018 at 10:46am

Bahahaha. 'Onya, Donald!!!

Yassmin Abdel-Magied says she is being deported from the US

Within three hours of arriving in the US, Australian author and activist Yassmin Abdel-Magied said she was on a plane "back" after being refused entry.

Ms Abdel-Magied had landed in Minneapolis ahead of speaking engagements in New York, but said that border agents decided to deport her just minutes after looking at her "case".

They’ve taken my phone, cancelled my visa and are deporting me," she said. She did not say where she was being sent back to.

"Will follow up on messages once I understand what’s going on."

Despite being on a plane out of the US, Ms Abdel-Magied said officials still had her passport and would not return it until she was in another country.
Advertisement

Roughly three hours since touch down in Minneapolis, I’m on a plane back," she tweeted.

"Well, guess that tightening of immigration laws business is working, despite my Australian passport. We’re taking off now. What a time."

Fairfax Media has contacted Ms Abdel-Magied for comment.

The former Queensland Young Australian of the Year was due to appear at two events for the Pen America World Voices Festival.

The first talk, titled The M Word: No Country For Young Muslim Women, was set to feature Ms Abdel-Magied and US author Amani Al-Khatahtbeh discussing the difficulties of being young Muslim women in Western countries.

The second event is a panel discussion about how to counter online hate and the women’s experience with it - a topic with which Ms Abdel-Magied is all too familiar.

Ms Abdel-Magied moved to London after her Anzac Day post, "Lest We Forget (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine ...)" led to a massive public backlash.

In November last year, in her first Australian television appearance since she moved overseas, she told The Project’s hosts the reaction was “surreal”.

I went from being, like, this young Queenslander of the Year and on all these kind of boards and councils and I was like the good Muslim girl, the darling. Next minute it's like everything exploded," she said.

"I'm now someone with nothing left to lose and that's kind of amazing. It means I can say what I want ... I think the nice version of saying it is no runs left to give."

Besides her social commentary and activism, Ms Abdel-Magied also made her acting debut in SBS digital series Homecoming Queens on Thursday night.

So far, she has been able to see the lighter side of her deportation situation.

"Funniest thing is that throughout this whole ordeal all I am thinking about is what a good story this would make," she tweeted.

"We all have ways of dealing with situations."

According to The New York Times, US border agents have a much broader authority to conduct searches than US police.

Border agents are legally allowed to search bags without a judge's prior approval, and are also allowed to seize and search digital devices.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/yassmin-abdel-magied-says-she-is-bein...

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Yassmin Abdel-Magied deported from USA
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 10:48am

We don't want you either!!!

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 10:58am

Maybe she should be considering the difficulties for young Muslim women in Muslim countries - in the West their biggest problems are their families seeking to lock them into traditional ways - not anything to do with the society of the nation they are living in today.

People like this love to beat things up and twist them into something they are not - playing the victim - and thus avoiding laying the blame where it rightly belongs - with THEIR culture - not ours.

It seems the Pussy Pass and the Gypo Pass only travel so far and the West is starting to finally wake up... no more being pushed to the front of the line for QYWOTY etc because you're ethnic or a Kaffir or a gay woman or you were stupid enough to have your certified insane ex kill your kid .... gee - you might have to actually EARN your way in those areas and some others by achieving something of value for the nation/society....

That worm is turning mighty slowly and responding slowly to medication, though... let's hope the patient isn't fully dead before it is removed from the heart and lungs of the nation.  Cry

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:15am

Good news.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:48am

Ned Kelly's wives.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 11:59am

The ugly cow has Australian/Sudanese dual citizenship. And Sudan is on the banned list.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Love it!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:29pm

Must be racism again....

Why didn't she check before she got on a plane? More attention whoring?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm

IMAGE....

Screenshot of picture Yassmin Abdel-Magied posted to her Instagram story with the words "just got deported".

Quote:

Australian author Yassmin Abdel-Magied claims she is being deported from the US after visa cancellation

Updated April 12, 2018 12:06:49

Australian author Yassmin Abdel-Magied says she has been deported from the US.

In a series of tweets, Ms Abdel-Magied said she was put back on a plane after arriving at Minneapolis airport ahead of an appearance at an April 18 event in New York called The M Word: No Country for Young Muslim Women.

The controversial activist, who moved from Australia to the UK in 2017, said US authorities cancelled her visa and took her passport and phone.

Ms Abdel-Magied was born in Sudan but said she was travelling on her Australian passport.

She said she has not been given the reason for her deportation......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-12/yassmin-abdel-magied-claims-she-is-being-d...

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Maybe she wanted to boost book sales in the US.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:34pm

A far better person than any of you lot....Not that that would be hard to achieve!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm

Do you believe her claims about Islam being the most feminist religion?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:38pm

freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm:

she probably did it on purpose for the publicity fd.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:44pm

IMAGE....

Lest we forget you Yassmin.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:46pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:34pm:
A far better person than any of you lot....Not that that would be hard to achieve!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Thanks, mate - your loyalty will not go unrewarded... how do you KNOW she is a 'better' person than anyone else?

Anti-feminism is the religion of peace and the most feminist.... it actually expects that women receive equal treatment.... without argument or dispute... as for the Joanie-come-latelys to this nation - well - let's just say they shouldn't be allowed to climb Ayers Rock or Mt Warning since we attach significant spiritual significance to those sites..... and we want to live OUR way ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:36pm:

All religion is crap....Yet those that worship cannot see their own failings....I do not support anyone who preaches hate but defending their bullshit religion is to be expected IMO!!!

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print