Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
If you live in freedom, thank the British Empire (Read 7623 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: If you live in freedom, thank the British Empire
Reply #45 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:01pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 6:45pm:
No.....it had Crown approval/endorsement and virtually ran India in every sense, including militarily, with substantial Westminster political backing until schit hit fan.

Link.

It was not a govt institution. Having the crown's approval does not remove it's private ownership.

It was a private company "incorporated" by royal charter, just as today corporations are given charter by laws of the government of states they begin it.. The private company was given "body" by royal charter.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:06pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:01pm:
No.....it had Crown approval/endorsement and virtually ran India in every sense, including militarily, with substantial Westminster political backing until schit hit fan.

Link.

It was not a govt institution. Having the crown's approval does not remove it's private ownership.

It was a private company "incorporated" by royal charter, just as today corporations are given charter by laws of the government of states they begin it.. The private company was given "body" by royal charter.

Yes....to do its bidding in India.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #47 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:06pm:
Setanta wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:01pm:

Link.

Yes....to do its bidding in India.

To trade. I'm not saying the Brit govt or crown were blameless but it was letting a private entity do as it was supposed to do, it was the private merchants that started it and ran it. The Brit govt was also the one that stopped it and took over when they saw it was turning to shyte.

I do blame the Brits for their silly carving up what was India under their control into India , East and West Pakistan.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #48 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:37pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
Quote:
In fact, when Australia introduced the White Australia Policy, Britain vehemently opposed it, because that meant that British subjects in Indian and other  non-white colonies were prevented from travelling to British soil (Australia).

I ran that through Google.  Could not find anything.  Got a link?

Read the Wikipedia article on the White Australia policy.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #49 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:47pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:37pm:
Quote:
In fact, when Australia introduced the White Australia Policy, Britain vehemently opposed it, because that meant that British subjects in Indian and other  non-white colonies were prevented from travelling to British soil (Australia).

This is all I found there:

Quote:
The first Parliament of Australia quickly moved to restrict immigration to maintain Australia's British character, and the Pacific Island Labourers Bill and the Immigration Restriction Bill were passed shortly before parliament rose for its first Christmas recess. The Colonial Secretary in Britain had however made it clear that a race-based immigration policy would run "contrary to the general conceptions of equality which have ever been the guiding principle of British rule throughout the Empire". The Barton Government therefore conceived of the "language dictation test", which would allow the government, at the discretion of the minister, to block unwanted migrants by forcing them to sit a test in "any European language". Race had already been established as a premise for exclusion among the colonial parliaments, so the main question for debate was who exactly the new Commonwealth ought to exclude, with the Labor Party rejecting Britain's calls to placate the populations of its non-white colonies and allow "aboriginal natives of Asia, Africa, or the islands thereof". There was opposition from Queensland and its sugar industry to the proposals of the Pacific Islanders Bill to exclude "Kanaka" laborers, however Barton argued that the practice was "veiled slavery" that could lead to a "negro problem" similar to that in the United States, and the Bill was passed.[12]

I'd hardly call that 'vehement opposition.'  Further, it was useless opposition and the WAP existed.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:26am

Aussie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
Or if for example you are India, you have had all your valuables stolen from you.....by the British, yes?

No one is saying that the British Empire was perfect. What this video is arguing and what other people have argued is that, overall on balance, the British Empire was a force for good.

That is not what the video argued at all.  The video presents a position of flawless virtue, and fails to refer to any of the darker sides of British activity.  And not give me the bullshit story that the Brits went all over the World to bring liberty and freedom.  Their intent was to exploit and trade like the East India Company et al.  Don't tell me the Brits went to, for example, Tasmania to bring sweetness and light to the locals whom they largely exterminated.

Does it actually say that, or is this just your imagination?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:29am

I said ~ The video presents a position of flawless virtue.

That'd be my imagination, Effendi.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:34am

Aussie wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:29am:

I thought so. Do you have a problem with anything it actually says? Or only what it doesn't say?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:38am

freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:34am:

I thought so. Do you have a problem with anything it actually says? Or only what it doesn't say?

Yes.  Do you?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:41am

I haven't watched it Aussie. What do you have a problem with?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #55 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:48am

freediver wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:41am:
I haven't watched it Aussie. What do you have a problem with?

I am not going to watch it again.  If you could be arsed and watched it, you'd see for yourself.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 10:00am

I doubt I would have any idea what your problem is.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #57 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:07pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:37pm:
Quote:

This is all I found there:

Quote:
The first Parliament of Australia quickly moved to restrict immigration to maintain Australia's British character, and the Pacific Island Labourers Bill and the Immigration Restriction Bill were passed shortly before parliament rose for its first Christmas recess. The Colonial Secretary in Britain had however made it clear that a race-based immigration policy would run "contrary to the general conceptions of equality which have ever been the guiding principle of British rule throughout the Empire". The Barton Government therefore conceived of the "language dictation test", which would allow the government, at the discretion of the minister, to block unwanted migrants by forcing them to sit a test in "any European language". Race had already been established as a premise for exclusion among the colonial parliaments, so the main question for debate was who exactly the new Commonwealth ought to exclude, with the Labor Party rejecting Britain's calls to placate the populations of its non-white colonies and allow "aboriginal natives of Asia, Africa, or the islands thereof". There was opposition from Queensland and its sugar industry to the proposals of the Pacific Islanders Bill to exclude "Kanaka" laborers, however Barton argued that the practice was "veiled slavery" that could lead to a "negro problem" similar to that in the United States, and the Bill was passed.[12]

I'd hardly call that 'vehement opposition.'  Further, it was useless opposition and the WAP existed.

My mistake. The white Australia policy ran contrary to general conception of equality that had been the principle of the British empire.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #58 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:09pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:38am:

Yes.  Do you?

So, do you disagree that the British spread the idea of liberty, and the rule of law through its colonies??

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:25pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:38am:

Yes.  Do you?

So, do you disagree that the British spread the idea of liberty, and the rule of law through its colonies??

Yes.....they spread suppression until they had control,  or lost control, and then....when time passed, the Rule of Law was adopted in most of the former Colonies.  But, their initial intent was domination, colonisation, and even genocide of anyone who stood in their way.  For example, the Maoris fought back, beat them, and "Waitangi" was created.

They were booted out of India, but wise heads there saw that a viable infrastructure had been put in place.

Same in Kenya, and probably other places I have no personal familiarity with.  They left Kenya when Kenyata the Mao Moa 'terrorists' got uppity.  Many Indian Families left Kenya and fled to India, leaving a viable infrastructure behind.  Those Indians are the initial immigrants into England that people like Herbert are pissed off about.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print