Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print
If you live in freedom, thank the British Empire (Read 7612 times)
AiA
Gold Member

Re: If you live in freedom, thank the British Empire
Reply #90 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:40pm

The British created a fertile soil for freedoms to sprout and grow. That can't be said for most societies.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #91 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:42pm

AiA wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:40pm:
The British created a fertile soil for freedoms to sprout and grow. That can't be said for most societies.

Here here.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #92 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:28pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
Rights don't arise from a piece of paper Aussie. They arise from your willingness to defend them.

Rubbish.  The only rights I have are those given to me by the Constitution, Statute or common law.  None of them are regarded as inalienable in Australia.

They are recognised by law. That is not the same thing as how you got them. Which is why you are struggling so hard to disagree with me.

Rights don't arise from a piece of paper Aussie. They arise from your willingness to defend them.

Why (other than because they think it's a good idea, duh) do you think institutions like the rule of law, democracy, personal liberty etc were adopted in so many former British colonies Aussie?

Waiting....for an edit.....before I respond. 

Far que and your late edits, Effendi....it is a very bad habit you have.  I prepare a response to your post, I publish it and then find you have made later additions.  Happens way too often with you.

So why bother responding? Why not actually wait?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:45pm

freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:43pm:

Rubbish.  The only rights I have are those given to me by the Constitution, Statute or common law.  None of them are regarded as inalienable in Australia.

They are recognised by law. That is not the same thing as how you got them. Which is why you are struggling so hard to disagree with me.

Why (other than because they think it's a good idea, duh) do you think institutions like the rule of law, democracy, personal liberty etc were adopted in so many former British colonies Aussie?

Far que and your late edits, Effendi....it is a very bad habit you have.  I prepare a response to your post, I publish it and then find you have made later additions.  Happens way too often with you.

Oh....what is the prescribed waiting time?  Have you finished now, or must I wait some more to talk about privacy, for example?

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #94 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:46pm

Auggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:42pm:

Here here.

There are theories that it was the pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon societies that laid the foundation for later freedoms ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #95 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:48pm

AiA wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:46pm:
Auggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:42pm:

Here here.

There are theories that it was the pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon societies that laid the foundation for later freedoms ...

I'm unaware of such theories. Care to elaborate?

In any case, it was the British who spread them and who established them overseas. Empires often pass on the batton: Rome to Britain, for example.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #96 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:55pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:45pm:

Oh....what is the prescribed waiting time?  Have you finished now, or must I wait some more to talk about privacy, for example?

In the meantime, you're welcome to comment on my responses.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #97 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:55pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 9:45pm:

If it bothers you so much, wait. If you can get over it, then respond. I will repost if I think you missed something important.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:04pm

It bothers me....so I'll wait to make sure you have reached your final position.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #99 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:05pm

No you won't. You will respond before you have put any thought into what you are going to say.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #100 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:09pm

freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:05pm:
No you won't. You will respond before you have put any thought into what you are going to say.

Not at all Effendi.  I am always happy to respond to you.  I always do.  Shame you do not reciprocate. 

It pisses me off that when I do, and post, I find you have altered the post I was responding to.  You and Agnes do that far too often.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #101 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:15pm

I don't care. You'll get over it.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #102 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:31pm

It may not have always been a smooth road and it certainly had its ups and downs - but the basic principles of a fair go were put together at Magna Carta, which began the process by clarifying rights of the 'ruling classes', then was extended by the introduction of The Common Law (which means simply that one law was the law of the land, and not one law for every separate jurisdiction), and gradually through the centuries the rights of all were steadily upgraded under English law and provided the basis for many legal advances, such as the abolition of slavery and even the Royal Navy attacking slavers not of their jurisdiction.

Of course - at every step those with the their hands on the controls, including many in the judiciary, have tried to slow down or even reverse this process for reasons of maintaining some myth of a status quo, lest the peasantry gain too much power and 'get above their station'* - something nowhere seen more clearly than in your Napoleonic figures in this nation, such as John Howard The Infamous Coward and Betrayer Of Worlds.

But the principle remains the same - it was the advances of the English Law that either gave directly further advances in rights and legalities, or inspired others, such as the United States, to build on that basic.

I think you could safely say that much of the rights enjoyed by the many are the result of the British Empire...

* Hush, but I tellz yez - there's be a terrible day of judgement some day soon......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #103 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:24pm

Is it safe for Aussie to respond yet?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:40pm

freediver wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:24pm:
Is it safe for Aussie to respond yet?

Quote:

We have NO inalienable rights as that term is understood in an American context.  Laws can be changed at the whim of Government.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print