Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When The Vast Majority Don't Want Adani Coal Mine (Read 666 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
When The Vast Majority Don't Want Adani Coal Mine
Apr 8th, 2018 at 8:09am

April 7 2018 Bendigo Advertiser
Mount Alexander Shire residents to blockade against Adani coal mine

THE site of the proposed Adani coal mine and railway is about 2000 kilometres from the Mount Alexander Shire.

But a group of the shire residents believe its effects would be felt far and wide.

Eleven members of the Central Victorian Climate Action group will travel to Queensland next month to partake in a blockade in protest against Adani’s plans.

They include two grandmothers, three parents, five high school students – two of which are completing their VCE – and a primary school student.

Castlemaine Secondary College VCE student Charlie Bell Wilcock was concerned the coal mine would be ruinous for both the Great Barrier Reef and his generation.   Sad

“It seems like it is up to young people - ordinary, everyday people - to put ourselves in the way to stop a billionaire building the largest coal mine in the southern hemisphere,” he said.

“We have written letters, taken part in inquiries, gone to meetings, spoken out and voted, but our MPs aren’t listening.”   Sad

Members of the central Victorian blockade contingent are aware they could be arrested and face repercussions, including high fines, for civil disobedience.

Chewton grandmother Liz Heath said some of the people who had been protesting had been fined large sums of money.

“But we aren’t deterred, we are looking forward to doing our part to stop this mine,” she said.

The Central Victorian Climate Action group said the impact of climate change was obvious and being noted across the world.

“Why are our politicians supporting Adani’s mine when the vast majority of Australians don’t want it, and scientists are urging us to keep coal in the ground to avoid more dangerous climate change?” Charlie said.   Sad

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: When The Vast Majority Don't Want Adani Coal Mine
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:35am

Goddamn it - this is a democracy and the People rule - so get in line you locals and do things the way the government wants you to... show your independence from these bloody Greenie Leftie ideas going around..... Labor and the Greens will sell you out in a minute.. and don't go wasting your votes on Independents... waste of time.  Think of the jobs.. think of the children ....

(the above non-partisan comment brought to you as a public service by the Amalgamated Adaniphiles Association of Queenslund, sponsored by  Federal and State LNP Associations (non-profit)....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:36am

I hope these protesters did not drive in CO2 emitting cars to get to the protest site.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 11:36am

11 residents in now "the vast majority" is it?  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Fkken victorians should be protesting about their own brown coal filth machines, act locally enviro-loons.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:37pm

What about jobs for the region?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print